Is 10mm ammo hard to find at retailers for some unknown reason? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is 10mm ammo hard to find at retailers for some unknown reason?

flw
10-15-2012, 21:36
I was thinking of getting a 10 mm and started to checkout the cost of rounds.

In my area, Gander Mnt, and a few local shops do not carry any 10 mm rounds. I'm very disappointed because without a local source for ammo, a change in the law could keep ammo out of my hands if I need to have them delivered to me because of that lack of retail stores that carry it.

I was thinking of getting the most powerful Glock but ammo availability at the retail level could stop me. I know its expensive to shoot but it would not be my main range gun.

BTW- I'm around the northern Il area if that helps.

LASTRESORT20
10-15-2012, 21:44
I havnt had a Problem in my area......but I will check some gun-shops this weekend.

Re-loading is good thing also.

TKM
10-15-2012, 21:54
Paying retail is for suckers.

http://rangingthoughts.com/post/2011/09/01/What-the-Heck-is-a-Curio-And-Relics-FFL.aspx

collim1
10-15-2012, 23:32
They might a box or two of some watered down FMJ. I dont see any premium SD ammo on the shelves anywhere.

10mm is one caliber that is best suited to online purchases. Both to get a better deal and get ammo that is loaded to its true potential.

SDGlock23
10-16-2012, 07:49
The selection of ammo locally is always pretty slim because it's not a popular cartridge, now before anyone argues about that, it's evident that it's still around and somewhat alive, it's nowhere near as popular as 9, 40, 45, 357 Mag, 44 mag, etc.

Locally, well about 50 miles from here there is a Sportsmans Warehouse and they do stock some 10mm, even some Buffalo Bore 10mm, which is full power. Unfortunately BB decided to start using some less than awesome JHP's so that's a bummer. At this place they also offer the regular 10mm stuff, but it's very expensive and watered down, but lets face it, most all ammo from the major ammo companies is watered down no matter the cartridge, so it's not 10mm specific.

You're better off ordering online and/or get into handloading. And if you're not going to shoot it much, there's a good chance you'll get rid of it down the road because of the expense. Or you can keep it, buy a .40 conversion barrel for it to get more out of it. I reload almost everything and I still got rid of my 10mm.

cowboywannabe
10-16-2012, 08:01
watered down stuff at local gun shops and academy sports.

fastbolt
10-16-2012, 13:49
It's not hard to find at stocking retailers for some "unknown reason". The reason is known.

It's not stocked, or sometimes stocked in minimal quantities & selection, because it's not selling and making them revenue.

While more firearms manufacturers are making handguns chambered in 10mm (or 10mm Norma, if you'd rather) than ever before, it's still a niche cartridge, with the "niche" being folks who are handloading enthusiasts and/or handgun hunters.

The major ammunition makers haven't invested as much attention into the cartridge as aficionados of the 10mm might prefer, but this helped create just enough demand for some smaller custom ammunition makers to sell some 10mm loads.

Another potential issue regarding the lackluster sales of commercial 10mm from the major makers is that owners/shooters of the 10mm guns nowadays seem unimpressed with the limited offerings that were originally developed, and want something "hotter", ,using lighter bullet weights created for the .40 S&W.

Now, I remember liking the original 10mm Norma, myself. I thought it was a nice idea for a service-type cartridge that eclipsed the .45 ACP and edged close to the ballistic performance of the heavier .357 Magnum loads of the day. (I'd used .41 Magnum revolvers back then, so I never really considered the 10mm to be equivalent to a .41 Magnum, myself.)

I handled and fired one of the first G20's imported back in the late summer of '90, using Norma ammunition, and thought it was a nice combination ... but I just wasn't interested enough to buy one.

fredj338
10-16-2012, 18:07
The 10mm is a niche/cult cartridge, & most owners roll their own. So the LGS isn't likely to stock a lot of ammo choices. If you want a 10mm, reloading is the way to go for cost as well as performance. Like teh 41mag, a good round hampered by few guns & few factory ammo choices. I bought 2-3 boxes of original Norma back in the day & then handloaded it ever since.

SCmasterblaster
10-16-2012, 18:50
The only thing around here are the watered-down 10mm loadings. :upeyes:

Yankee2718
10-16-2012, 23:45
I was thinking of getting a 10 mm and started to checkout the cost of rounds.

In my area, Gander Mnt, and a few local shops do not carry any 10 mm rounds. I'm very disappointed because without a local source for ammo, a change in the law could keep ammo out of my hands if I need to have them delivered to me because of that lack of retail stores that carry it.

I was thinking of getting the most powerful Glock but ammo availability at the retail level could stop me. I know its expensive to shoot but it would not be my main range gun.

BTW- I'm around the northern Il area if that helps.

If you will be limited to local sales only you're wasting your time with the 10mm. No reason to spend extra money on a .40 S&W with a long case. Most 40 180 gr loads make 1000 fps from the factory. Most factory 10mm 180 gr loads only make 50-100 fps more. The 10mm reaches its full potential when loaded to its max. Factory loads from the big 3 hardly ever make it.

SCmasterblaster
10-17-2012, 09:30
If you will be limited to local sales only you're wasting your time with the 10mm. No reason to spend extra money on a .40 S&W with a long case. Most 40 180 gr loads make 1000 fps from the factory. Most factory 10mm 180 gr loads only make 50-100 fps more. The 10mm reaches its full potential when loaded to its max. Factory loads from the big 3 hardly ever make it.

I guess that if you want full-powered 10 mm, one has to buy it on-line. :upeyes:

alwaysshootin
10-17-2012, 10:44
Simply, save your time, and gas!

It is a niche caliber, but, there is none better, in the size of the delivery package!:cool:

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

davsco
10-17-2012, 11:48
retail is all about shelf space and inventory turns. Low volume low margin stuff doesn't get shelf space.

SCmasterblaster
10-17-2012, 17:42
has a good selection of 10mm ammunition?

bac1023
10-18-2012, 06:38
You can find the weak stuff around.

Chuck TX
10-18-2012, 09:34
You can find it, but if you want the real stuff you have to order it or roll your own.

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 10:04
You can find it, but if you want the real stuff you have to order it or roll your own.

I used to reload 10mm. It is easy. :cool:

fastbolt
10-18-2012, 13:05
If I were going to run a 10mm pistol as a dedicated defensive handgun (not a hunting handgun), I'd invest in the Winchester 175gr STHP and work on skills maintenance. Training/practice ammo would become a bit pricey, though.

The original Norma 170gr JHP was listed at somewhere around 1358fps, I believe, and the Winchester 175gr load is listed at 1290fps, putting it in the ballpark with the original load (for bullet weight).

I remember when a friend of mine was a weapons officer for the CHP here in CA. He once told me that in the field offices where he'd worked where the officers were permitted to carry 10mm for off-duty, the load kept in inventory at those offices was the Winchester 175gr STHP (since they issued off-duty ammunition).

I'd like to see Speer and Federal offer something equivalent, with a couple choices in the 170-175gr & 200gr weight range. Since the real money is in LE/Gov sales, though, and the 10mm's limited LE use is mostly history, I doubt the big names are ever going to be interested in putting their attention on the 10mm (except for some practice and hunting loads).

It's handloaders and component sales that seem to be driving the continued interest in the 10mm, although the smaller specialty ammunition companies seem to be benefiting from this market, too.

It's just that if I were going to be using a 10mm as a dedicated defensive weapon, I'd much prefer to run ammunition offered by one of the big names in American ammunition. Limited availability (locally), and pricing for "specialty" or hot-rodded ammunition are enough to keep me from indulging in my interest in the 10mm.

I haven't been a handloader for many years, as well.

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 13:40
That 175gr 10mm load sounds very mean. :cool:

4949shooter
10-18-2012, 15:36
Do you have a Cabelas within driving distance? They stock the Winchester Silvertip, Hornady 155 and 200 grain rounds as well as Critical Defense, Remington UMC, PMC 200 grain, Corbon Powerball, and last but not least, Buffalo Bore 180 and 220 grain.

I must say, I was going to buy a 10mm Glock over ten years ago. I held off because t I thought the round might die out and ammo would be hard to come by. I was wrong. I know your situation is different, but if you don't acquire a 10mm now you may regret it.

Good luck!

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 17:37
Do you have a Cabelas within driving distance? They stock the Winchester Silvertip, Hornady 155 and 200 grain rounds as well as Critical Defense, Remington UMC, PMC 200 grain, Corbon Powerball, and last but not least, Buffalo Bore 180 and 220 grain.

I must say, I was going to buy a 10mm Glock over ten years ago. I held off because t I thought the round might die out and ammo would be hard to come by. I was wrong. I know your situation is different, but if you don't acquire a 10mm now you may regret it.

Good luck!

Is there a Cabelas in Northern New England?

Yes there is - in Hartford, CT.

4949shooter
10-18-2012, 17:42
Is there a Cabelas in Northern New England?

Here is a map of all their retail stores:

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 18:09
Here is a map of all their retail stores:

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp

Thanx - they surely do have a lot of stores.