Friend considering not voting... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Friend considering not voting...

jbailey8
10-16-2012, 01:08
I'm not going to get into who I am or am not going to vote for and why or why not. I just had a quick, random, political question.

I have a friend that was ready and eager for Ron Paul to win the Republican nomination for president. Since that didn't happen he has talked about voting for Gary Johnson.

More recently he has said that he feels like he won't vote at all. He says that if less registered voters participate that it will send a louder message than voting for the third party who won't win regardless.

I'm not so sure that I'm convinced. I don't think that's likely unless 90% of the voters opted out, but a handful here and there? Nobody cares, right?

What's your thoughts?

Travelin' Jack
10-16-2012, 01:49
If he wants to help defeat Obama, vote Romney. If he wants to make a statement, vote Johnson. Staying home doesn't send a message to anyone, other than Americans are getting lazier.

NMPOPS
10-16-2012, 01:56
A non-vote is a vote for Obama!

10-16-2012, 02:12
What exactly is the message of not voting and who is it sending it to?

The only message people not voting send to me is that they are illegerate and that their political complaints/opinions are meaningless.

gwalchmai
10-16-2012, 04:39
Folks like that keep staying at home and pretty soon they won't have to worry about it anyway...

This "sending a message" thing is just about the stupidest idea I've ever heard of.

hogfish
10-16-2012, 04:55
What not voting is, is a NON-message. The only way to send a message is by voting. :wavey:

Bren
10-16-2012, 05:05
I'm not going to get into who I am or am not going to vote for and why or why not. I just had a quick, random, political question.

I have a friend that was ready and eager for Ron Paul to win the Republican nomination for president. Since that didn't happen he has talked about voting for Gary Johnson.

More recently he has said that he feels like he won't vote at all. He says that if less registered voters participate that it will send a louder message than voting for the third party who won't win regardless.

I'm not so sure that I'm convinced. I don't think that's likely unless 90% of the voters opted out, but a handful here and there? Nobody cares, right?

What's your thoughts?

The only "message" your idiot friend is sending is the false message that we prefer Obama, because that's the only person he's helping to elect.

The winners write the history. Does your friend think the liberal press is going to talk about how Americans really wanted somebody more conservative...or will they talk about how the American people hate conservatives and love Obama? That's the only message he is helping to send.

Ruble Noon
10-16-2012, 05:06
In my mind, not voting is the only way to denounce entirely the current political system, and to not give consent, implied or otherwise, to its evil ways. By not voting, the message sent is so much more powerful than by joining in with the lemmings in their march to the polls in an attempt to satisfy a futile quest for false security at the expense of liberty. Voluntaryism (http://voluntaryist.com/fundamentals/introduction.html) is a better way.

Have we become freer due to political elections, and the choosing of those who make the laws and reign supreme? Absolutely not! I can say with authority, that in every election since I was born, and before, the government has become more powerful, more tyrannical, and more authoritarian. Individual liberty has been nearly destroyed, and State aggression has become the rule.

http://lewrockwell.com/barnett/barnett54.1.html

callihan_44
10-16-2012, 06:10
to not vote is to vote...seriously people complain how screwed the country is yet want to stay home? I make the case that if more people voted it may make the politicians more accountable....they know the majority doesnt care more than turning on the tv to american idol or jersey shore....some of the robo calls i recieve at home are just idiotic, aimed at those not in the know....

walt cowan
10-16-2012, 06:38
damm, that house paint on that trolling boat?

aircarver
10-16-2012, 06:47
In realpolitic, there are no 'messages' ... only winners.

GAFinch
10-16-2012, 08:16
All non-voting does is show that you don't follow politics, either because you're lazy or you're shallow. It absolutely sends no sort of meaningful statement to society.

ETA: Romney is going to win my state, but our Congressional, Sheriff's, and other local races are extremely tight. Congress is just as important as the Presidency and the local government has almost as much influence on our lives as the federal one does. My county is majority black, but Republicans can still win based solely on voter turnout gaps, so not voting would be extremely foolish on my part. Tell your friend not to fall victim to the cult of the presidency.

series1811
10-16-2012, 08:20
It's the principle of the thing. I live in a state that wouldn't go for Obama if the Democrats were handing out $100 bills at the polls.

Romney is going to take it whether I vote or not, but I'm still voting.

ModGlock17
10-16-2012, 08:29
There are tons of FOREIGNers, outside of the borders and inside of this border, who want to vote.

May be people don't vote because they don't have an ID. Ha!

Vic777
10-16-2012, 08:58

What's your thoughts?A Nation full of fools does not deserve to live, and Darwin will guarantee that such a Nation will indeed fail. The future of America has already been decided, America will fail or be put on life support. The decision has already been made, we just have to wait until November 6th to find out.

LASTRESORT20
10-16-2012, 09:06
The only "message" your idiot friend is sending is the false message that we prefer Obama, because that's the only person he's helping to elect.

The winners write the history. Does your friend think the liberal press is going to talk about how Americans really wanted somebody more conservative...or will they talk about how the American people hate conservatives and love Obama? That's the only message he is helping to send.

This Too ^^^

Ruble Noon
10-16-2012, 15:59
What's your thoughts?

Plain and simple. Voting for statists is legitimizing statism.

ArrowJ
10-16-2012, 16:16

+1 I no longer agree with the statement that if you do not vote you cannot complain.

Of course I live in Illinoguns so even if I voted 400,000 times Obama would still get our electoral votes.

http://highcaliberguns.com
http://thesitterdowners.com

dajcarroll
10-16-2012, 16:18
I choose not to vote... for one simple reason. It doesn't matter who gets into office, or where the candidates say they stand on certain issues. They will all do what they want, and we're all going to ***** for at least 4 years about who is in office. It never fails. What president does what they say they are going to? Both Obama and Romney are lying sacks of ****, and I don't believe a word either man says. Therefor, I could give 2 ****s about who sits in that chair. There has been someone wrong with every President of the United States dating as far back as I can remember. This time 4 years from now... we're going to be doing the exact same thing we're doing right now.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
S&W 10-5 .38spl Snub Nose
Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410

The Machinist
10-16-2012, 16:53
A vote for Paul is a vote for Obama!
A vote for Johnson is a vote for Obama!
A vote for Obama is a vote for Obama!
A vote for no one at all is a vote for Obama!

:upeyes:

Chronos
10-16-2012, 16:57
I will not vote. It is immoral and destructive. Whatever influence I have on the world, it's not going to come from registering one pathetic opinion at the ballot box.

Drilled
10-16-2012, 17:02

What's your thoughts?

Your "friend" is lame. Childishness.

Syclone538
10-16-2012, 21:25
It seems like there are a decent amount of small l libertarians and anarchists that are against voting. I understand it, but completely disagree.

Nobody is going to lose a federal election by one vote, so any one persons vote by itself doesn't matter.

My votes for every LP on my ballot really are not going to matter, but I'm going to vote for less gov every chance I get anyway.

countrygun
10-16-2012, 21:37

"statist" have quite a record of wins and there is no end in sight. there is onlt "chicken" and "beef" on the menue. Yelling to want "fish" isn't going to change that

Little Joe
10-16-2012, 22:03
I choose not to vote... for one simple reason. It doesn't matter who gets into office, or where the candidates say they stand on certain issues. They will all do what they want, and we're all going to ***** for at least 4 years about who is in office. It never fails. What president does what they say they are going to? Both Obama and Romney are lying sacks of ****, and I don't believe a word either man says. Therefor, I could give 2 ****s about who sits in that chair. There has been someone wrong with every President of the United States dating as far back as I can remember. This time 4 years from now... we're going to be doing the exact same thing we're doing right now.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
S&W 10-5 .38spl Snub Nose
Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410

I wonder if it matters to you who gets to stack the Supreme Court for the next 4 years. Would you rather have more Ginsburg's, Kagan's, and Sotmeyors or Alito's, Scalia's, Thomas, and Roberts.

Brucev
10-16-2012, 22:34
If he can't overcome his emotional disappointment, he'll just have to stew. The facts are that in Nov. America will elect either Romney or the squatter to the presidency. A vote for the squatter or any third party or no vote at all is nothing less than support for the squatter and his cabal of domestic terrorists who masquerade as the demokratic party. A vote for Romney is a vote for America. It is that very simple.

ArrowJ
10-17-2012, 14:32
A vote for Romney is a vote for America. It is that very simple.

I disagree, but as I said living in Illinoguns my vote would make no difference anyway.

http://highcaliberguns.com
http://thesitterdowners.com