Oct. 20th - Bridge Day in WV. Anyone going? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oct. 20th - Bridge Day in WV. Anyone going?

airmotive
10-16-2012, 03:26
I'm no longer jumping, but it's still one heck of a party. One of the biggest, yet best kept secret festivals in the country.

Bridge Day on the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia.

Sadly, I won't be able to make it this year...but it's my civic duty to let you know that if you're within a day's drive of West Virginia, you owe it to yourself to make the trip.
It's more than just a couple hundred BASE jumpers flying off a bridge....generally about 250,000 more.

Do a little google-fu and join in the fun if you're looking for something to do that weekend. Good times.

ca survivor
10-16-2012, 06:28
after part of a just finishing parking building here in Miami collapsed, I'm not spending more time that I have to on a bridge.

Adjuster
10-16-2012, 07:36
I used to live in West Virginia. I have seen the bridge many times but never been across it or attended bridge day. It is a very impressive site from the ground.

/

mike g35
10-16-2012, 07:42
Stop by the Cabelas booth and say hi to Chris, the events coordinator from the Charleston location. Tell him Mike from the gun counter sent you. :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

kensb2
10-16-2012, 08:25
I went last year; however, we moved to OK in January and won't be making the drive back for it. WV is certainly a beautiful place, and I really miss the scenery and weather vs. OK! A few years back, my sister and BIL went; they were low on BASE jumpers I guess, as they were asking for volunteers with parachuting experience to jump. My BIL decided to go for it, said it was a pretty cool experience. I'm sure it was a bit different than all the jumps he made in the Army.

dango
10-16-2012, 09:02
One hell of a bridge , The world's largest single span , single arch. Something to behold and yes have been there many a
time. Something on the to do list but not this year.

Have a beer on me...........!

Dennis in MA
10-16-2012, 09:03
From their own website:

The vast majority of people (more than 80,000 expected!) come to Bridge Day to watch.

About a quarter of what you think. (I had to check because of how you wrote it, I thought it was 250,000 jumpers. LOL)

BossGodfrey
10-16-2012, 09:33
I use to work for Jan Care ambulance in Beckley. I had the pleasure of working the river bank in 1997. Heard a lot of bones snapping that day from bad landings. Its nice to have a doctor standing there giving you orders to push morphine. Pushed more vials of morphine in one day than I did in the six months before that. Good times !

airmotive
10-16-2012, 09:45
From their own website:

About a quarter of what you think. (I had to check because of how you wrote it, I thought it was 250,000 jumpers. LOL)

Yeah...I had no idea of the actual numbers.
But whenever you say BASE jumping, people think of two or three guys making a jump and then running off, not thousands of people packing the full span of the bridge.

Dennis in MA
10-16-2012, 09:49
Oh, OK. I would think it would be popular.

The site didn't say - approx. how many people take the leap annually?

DGreno
10-16-2012, 10:22
I would love to go. There is no way I would jump off of it, however. Much of my wife's family lives less than 15 miles from there.

stevelyn
10-16-2012, 11:22
Heh...... I walked across it the day it opened to the public. I was about 14 at the time and living in Beckley........Unfortunately.