Tornado hunters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tornado hunters

OfficerChris
10-16-2012, 09:27
Looks like we didnt have a topic about them, search turned out negative.

Is it only me or do you guys also think that these are a just a bunch of idiots.
They try to act like scientists but look like wanabees.

I really hope they get hit in the face by flying cows.

A flying cow? - YouTube

...or a fuel truck..

Resqu2
10-16-2012, 09:36
I did like the movie but the cows were lame. A real twister is nothing to fool with, I drove a fire truck through an EF3 and almost didn't live to tell about it. I used to say I wanted to see a twister but never again. I had no idea of the raw power they have.

harlenm
10-16-2012, 09:55
If it wasn't for tornado hunters, we wouldn't know half of what we know about them. Some are just losers in a pickup filming it, but others are true scientists that get close enough to get data that we can actually use to learn about what makes them work.

OfficerChris
10-16-2012, 10:11
looks like none of the scientists are filmed in these tv shows

kensb2
10-16-2012, 12:17
I live in OK, where we get quite a few of them. From time to time, I see the specialized cars some of them use to storm chase. They are much heavier, and can be lowered close to the ground. This link has a few pictures of them: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/meteorological-instruments/tiv.htm
I think it takes a certain type of crazy to chase a tornado....

el_jewapo
10-16-2012, 13:02
I don't know, is meteorology a legitimate science? They're good enough at that to read their info and put themselves right there at the tornado spawn points most of the time. I think they're real scientists. Are they crazy? I don't know, a lot of crazy people do a lot of crazy things. As long as it's not psycho murderer crazy, what does it hurt? Maybe they are a little crazy, doesn't mean we should wish death on them.

686Owner
10-16-2012, 13:33
They might be a bunch of idiots, but I think they can provide real data to people that need it. Many people have no idea what a tornado looks like and they think every dark cloud is a tornado. People that chase them tend to know what a real one looks like and can confirm a tornado and it's direction (and know who wo tell), which I think can be a real public service.

larry_minn
10-16-2012, 13:40
Most are dangerous bunch of idiots. I am in the (new) tornado alley (it seems) We have one a yr stones throw from my house. (ok one hit the house) and a easy way (if you don't want to watch clouds) is watch for crazy drivers looking for camera angle.
I chased a tornado on foot. Kept telling myself. "I can see the curve so I am NOT inside it" Folks want to do that for fun????

NeverMore1701
10-16-2012, 13:47
Got some up here, they're legit. There's also the retards in pickups driving around like morons trying to get crappy videos for YouTube, but no one gives a crap about them.