Deadbolt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deadbolt?

Adjuster
10-16-2012, 10:41
I have an exterior door that is seldom used. It has a standard keyed door knob. Can I simply change out the door knob for a deadbolt? Are there any special measurements I need when I go to purchase the new deadbolt?

/

Adjuster
10-16-2012, 10:44
Another door knob question. Do any of you have a push button combination keyless entry door knob? How is your experience? This would be for my main entry door. I would like a mechanical combination lock and not electronic that uses a battery. Unless you guys convince me otherwise.

/

gwalchmai
10-16-2012, 10:56
Never mind.

MoparMan1991
10-16-2012, 12:30
The only thing you would have to change is drill a longer hole in the frame to accommodate the longer bolt vs the original door latch. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, unless you have an enormous hole for the doorknob and the deadbolt wouldn't fit.

Breadman03
10-16-2012, 12:38
I had a keypad entry on my front door for a few years before we moved out. It worked well, but I always kept the key on me, just in case the batteries died. It was simple to change the code, or to assign a nanny or contractor code.

We had a Schlage model.

DGreno
10-16-2012, 12:38
The past two fire and EMS stations I have been assigned to have the electronic combination lock. They are great thus far and they have been used multiple tmes daily for a few years now. You can set the code from 4 to 8 digits on the ones we have (made by schlage)

VC-Racing
10-16-2012, 12:53
I had a keypad entry on my front door for a few years before we moved out. It worked well, but I always kept the key on me, just in case the batteries died. It was simple to change the code, or to assign a nanny or contractor code.

We had a Schlage model.

Same here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JBnTX
10-16-2012, 12:56
Just buy a Doberman and name him deadbolt.

gigab1te
10-16-2012, 13:06
I have an exterior door that is seldom used. It has a standard keyed door knob. Can I simply change out the door knob for a deadbolt? Are there any special measurements I need when I go to purchase the new deadbolt?

/

I did the same thing a few years ago when we replaced our deadbolts with bump resistent deadbolts. I had a seldom-used door in the garage with only a locking door knob. I replaced the door knob with a deadbolt I had taken off the front door. At most it was a five minute job to swap the door knob for the deadbolt. Since this particular door was seldom used, I also added a heafty door bolt inside, since I didn't want to upgrade the deadbolt to a bump resistent deadbolt. I don't have any experience with pushbutton door locks, but have a pushbutton lock on a Fort Knox pistol safe, and it works like a charm!