I hate thieves, need light/camera suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I hate thieves, need light/camera suggestions

Truffle8Shuffle
10-16-2012, 13:32
I'm looking for suggestions on motion activated lights and maybe even security cameras.

After filling up my car last night, I go out this morning to run some errands only to find my fill door open, fuel cap gone, and gas dripping from my fuel tank drain plug. I turn the car on to see how much is gone and I'm on E. :steamed::steamed:

Drain plug was just a little loose so that was a quick fix. New fuel cap was $10 and another full tank was $35. I opted not to JB Weld the drain plug or get a locking cap as I'd rather buy another cap for $10 if it happens again instead of a whole new fuel tank if they decide they want to bust a hole in mine to get the gas out. The guy at Autozone said he's had a few people from the neighborhood come by in the last couple of weeks telling him the same story.

Adjuster
10-16-2012, 13:51
That seriously sucks. When did they start putting drain plugs on fuel tanks? I wonder if my 05 Ford Sport Trac has one?

/

ParisArms
10-16-2012, 14:10
The hunting camera work well. They are made for capturing deer and other wildlife but can capture humans too. They are made for fairly low light situations. Check one out at your local hunting supply or even Walmart. If you really want a light Go ahead a wire a motion light to the corners of your house. Depending on we're you live you neighbors may not like it, but bad guys won't either.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PaulMason
10-16-2012, 14:16
After filling up my car last night, I go out this morning to run some errands only to find my fill door open, fuel cap gone, and gas dripping from my fuel tank drain plug. I turn the car on to see how much is gone and I'm on E.

Were you parked on the street? Do you have a garage?

What is it about Florida?

Does your gas tank only hold 10 gallons of gas that a fill up is $35?

When it comes to security you want your property to look more secure then the neighbors so the robber goes someplace else.

skew12
10-16-2012, 14:20
I'd like to hear done of these suggestions

Truffle8Shuffle
10-16-2012, 15:18
That seriously sucks. When did they start putting drain plugs on fuel tanks? I wonder if my 05 Ford Sport Trac has one?

It's used to drain the fuel if you need to replace the fuel pump in the tank.

The hunting camera work well. They are made for capturing deer and other wildlife but can capture humans too. They are made for fairly low light situations. Check one out at your local hunting supply or even Walmart. If you really want a light Go ahead a wire a motion light to the corners of your house. Depending on we're you live you neighbors may not like it, but bad guys won't either.

I thought about a trail cam but I'd have to come up with a way to mount it, as there are only shrubs around the driveway. Maybe I can come up with something.

Were you parked on the street? Do you have a garage?

What is it about Florida?

Does your gas tank only hold 10 gallons of gas that a fill up is $35?

When it comes to security you want your property to look more secure then the neighbors so the robber goes someplace else.

Car is always parked in the driveway. I'm staying at a friend's house until I can find my own place and garage is full. I'm sure this happens in all of the other 49 states. I have an Acura Integra and filled up just under 10 gallons at $3.55 a gallon.

ParisArms
10-16-2012, 15:45
I simple 2x4 or mailbox post, heck mount on on the side of your house. Drive a stack into the ground and mount it under your shrubs, and keep it out of site.

Truffle8Shuffle
10-16-2012, 15:48
I simple 2x4 or mailbox post, heck mount on on the side of your house. Drive a stack into the ground and mount it under your shrubs, and keep it out of site.

This is the most important part.

98LS-WON
10-16-2012, 17:21
A trail cam might get you a picture, but I'm almost certain the police (won't do / be able to do) anything with it unless they already have a suspect in mind.

FPS
10-16-2012, 17:24
I'm looking for suggestions on motion activated lights and maybe even security cameras.

After filling up my car last night, I go out this morning to run some errands only to find my fill door open, fuel cap gone, and gas dripping from my fuel tank drain plug. I turn the car on to see how much is gone and I'm on E. :steamed::steamed:

Drain plug was just a little loose so that was a quick fix. New fuel cap was $10 and another full tank was $35. I opted not to JB Weld the drain plug or get a locking cap as I'd rather buy another cap for $10 if it happens again instead of a whole new fuel tank if they decide they want to bust a hole in mine to get the gas out. The guy at Autozone said he's had a few people from the neighborhood come by in the last couple of weeks telling him the same story.

I just ordered this today. I'll let you know how it goes...

http://www.netcamshop.com/SA-Technology-SAT-2100n-B-Wireless-N-IP-Camera-Black_p_53.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BoymKmsO8KM#!

JLB768
10-16-2012, 18:16
http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/Detail/13/Samsung-SDE-5002N-16-Channel-DVR-Security-System

This is what we have, and I can view my cams live via smart phone when not home.