New garage door opener...need opinions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New garage door opener...need opinions.

meathead19
10-16-2012, 16:46
Our craftsman chain driven is loud & acting up.

It's over 20 yrs old & under a bedroom that wakes up the kids when opened/closed.

Looking at belt driven b/c they're suppose to be much quieter.

It would be 1/2 HP.

Looking @ Genie, Craftsman, lift master.

Open to suggestions......thanks.

Halojumper
10-16-2012, 16:48
I don't know if it's the absolute best, but the Liftmaster will do a good job at a reasonable price.

Drilled
10-16-2012, 16:58
Chamberlain whisper drive.

Hummerbike
10-16-2012, 17:01
I just helped my son install a Craftsman door opener this morning. I believe it was a 3/4 horse. It was belt drive and had battery back-up and a remote key pad for outside the garage.
It took about three hours to install. It is fairly quiet but not very fast. I noticed that when it's closing it really slows down during the last few inches. Mine doesn't do that so I thought it was unusual.

meathead19
10-16-2012, 17:10
Chamberlain whisper drive.

Forgot this one.

I will have to pay for installation, so I have to factor in that as well.

I may call some local companies for estimates.

Wake_jumper
10-16-2012, 17:14
I have two Craftsman openers, one chain and one belt. There isn't much difference in noise. The belt is maintenance free though.

aircarver
10-16-2012, 17:16
My first Craftsman chain drive went 20 years before burning out the PC board.

Who knows how long my second Craftsman will go ?

mj9mm
10-16-2012, 17:24
i'm on my second craftsmen, total of 30 years, i see no reason to changem my second one is 5 years old and quieter than the first, no complaints from me:cool:

meathead19
10-16-2012, 17:36
Going for quietness & durability.

JLB768
10-16-2012, 18:05
We've got a Chamberlain Whisper Drive 3/4HP, it was quiet for about 2 months, not so quiet anymore...

Kuroineko
10-16-2012, 18:27
Genie screw drive.

jpa
10-16-2012, 18:40
We've got a Chamberlain Whisper Drive 3/4HP, it was quiet for about 2 months, not so quiet anymore...

Buy the chain/wheel lube they carry at Lowes. I like the one made by Liquid Wrench.

meathead19
10-16-2012, 18:59
So, is it worth the extra coin to go w/a garage door company that stands behind the install??

bobby_w
10-16-2012, 19:33
I just helped my son install a Craftsman door opener this morning. I believe it was a 3/4 horse. It was belt drive and had battery back-up and a remote key pad for outside the garage.
It took about three hours to install. It is fairly quiet but not very fast. I noticed that when it's closing it really slows down during the last few inches. Mine doesn't do that so I thought it was unusual.

I just installed what I think is the same one from Craftsman.

It is so quiet that we scare the crap out of each other when we enter the house as the other one was so loud we could here it all through the house. We knew when were each coming and going.

Highly recommend this model. Really like the battery backup and belt drive.

JLB768
10-16-2012, 21:17
Buy the chain/wheel lube they carry at Lowes. I like the one made by Liquid Wrench.

It's a belt drive, and sounds like the motor is straining. I suppose the coiled spring could be weakening, and the door out of balance, I dunno...

ArtificialGrape
10-16-2012, 21:22
I'm pleased with our 1/2 hp Craftsman belt drive. We also have 2 bedrooms over the garage, and the old chain drive was very loud.

I also like that it has a motion sensor to turn on the light when you enter from the house, and that it will take 2 100w bulbs.

-ArtificialGrape

NDCent
10-16-2012, 21:31
Got a couple liftmaster belt drives (going on 10 years) that are super quiet, spray lube the roller tracks every couple of years and they stay super quiet.

Also have a genie screw drive at our old house that's still working good after 20+ years, it's always been noisy, but runs like a timex.

inthefrey
10-16-2012, 22:00
Whatever you get, DO NOT put CFL bulbs in it or you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out if you have a transmitter problem. If the lights are on, they create so much RF noise it blocks the signal from the transmitter.

Wake_jumper
10-16-2012, 22:10
Genie screw drive.

The loudest of all.

AK_Stick
10-16-2012, 22:23
Have 2 jack shaft lift masters for the shop and a traditional genie on the house. Will never go back to a genie again after LM

airmotive
10-17-2012, 03:48
If you already have an opener in place, replacing it with a new one isn't that hard.
It's a one-man, two hour job. Or a two-man, one hour job.

schild
10-17-2012, 04:05
Liftmaster

fx77
10-17-2012, 05:59
Have 3 liftmasters...

Lowjiber
10-17-2012, 06:03
I recently purchased a new home. The garage door opener (new, of course) is a Genie 900. What a POS!

Every month it loses it's program and has to be re-programed. It just happened again yesterday. I'm replacing it this weekend.

meathead19
10-17-2012, 06:46
Great info, keep it coming......Thanks all.

meathead19
10-17-2012, 10:54
Having the LM 3280 installed Friday.

Professional install, 2 remotes, keypad, main/inside control......$440.00.

Lifetime warranty on motor and belt....1 parts.

The next quote was $200 higher.

Thanks for all the advice.

FLglockdude
10-17-2012, 10:59
You could have got a Chamberlain whisper drive for for $220 and installed for $99 at Lowe's.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

meathead19
10-17-2012, 11:24
You could have got a Chamberlain whisper drive for for $220 and installed for $99 at Lowe's.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

True, but it's a 5-piece rail system vs a single solid with the LM. Those have to be in pieces so it can be transported from store to home.

Found this as well....

Though both openers are made by Chamberlain, the Lift-Master has a heavier drawbar system with a solid chain, metal front idler sprocket and a one-piece drawbar track. Sears openers have half chain and half cable, a plastic pulley for the cable portion, and track divided into three or more parts. Cables fray and track junctions loosen, resulting in future expenses down the road. I would value this difference in quality at about $25. Sales tax on Sears openers would add another $10, and installation with heavy-duty angle about $100. Adjusting the springs and oiling the door would add another $15, and dealer warranty covering parts and labor is worth about $30. When the hidden costs are tabulated, $150+25+10+100+15+30, the total comes to $330. You pretty much get what you pay for.

mnhogrider
10-17-2012, 11:43
It's a belt drive, and sounds like the motor is straining. I suppose the coiled spring could be weakening, and the door out of balance, I dunno...

Disconnect the opener from the door by pulling on the release rope and see if you can open the door manually without any binding. If something's out of adjustment, get it fixed or you're going to burn out the opener.

2@low8
10-17-2012, 12:02
If you are only replacing the opener save yourself the cash and do it yourself. A couple wrenches, screwdriver and step ladder are all you need. Use the cash to buy a better opener.

mnhogrider
10-17-2012, 12:10
When we closed on our house in 1990, the Realtor bought us a Craftsman door opener, chain drive. I think it was 3/4 HP. I installed it and it lasted about 12 years and then the nylon gears in the drive box stripped out. I remembered it was loud, but did a good job.
Then I bought a Genie screw drive at Homie Depot which I still have. Super quiet, and has fast opening speed and then slow coming down.
I have two College-age boys with cars plus my wife and I and no man-door in the garage, so the overhead door (2-car garage with wooden door) goes up and down a bunch every day.
This opener is doing a great job. I did have the lights in it give me trouble once, and I called Genie and they sent out a new circuit board at N/C.

2 hr. installation like the instructions said was BS. It took 3/4 of the day. There were more colored bags of screws, switches, nuts, bolts, etc. in the box and a book of assemblty instructions.

We put our openers to the test up here in the winter when it's below zero and snow blown up against the door or it gets iced shut and opens with a "bang". This is when we need it most!

meathead19
10-17-2012, 12:13
If you are only replacing the opener save yourself the cash and do it yourself. A couple wrenches, screwdriver and step ladder are all you need. Use the cash to buy a better opener.

Don't have the time....3 kids under 6 yoa.

Not sure there's a better 1/2 HP belt opener.

Lifetime belt and motor warranty. Who will beat that?

JLB768
10-17-2012, 13:09
Disconnect the opener from the door by pulling on the release rope and see if you can open the door manually without any binding. If something's out of adjustment, get it fixed or you're going to burn out the opener.

I actually did that today after mowing, the door lifted and closed by hand easily, it also stayed where it was when I let go about halfway up. Door is obviously not out of adjustment, maybe I need to lube the tracks.