Critique my motorcycle riding abilities [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Critique my motorcycle riding abilities

Eurodriver
10-16-2012, 17:46
CBR600 and R6 - YouTube

More to come. I love GoPros and I love my new bike. Just had to share. Enjoy.

Glock20 10mm
10-16-2012, 17:49
Well... Europe sure looks a lot like America...

Eurodriver
10-16-2012, 17:50
Oh no.

....I just realized I bought a Japanese motorcycle.

....I am no longer exclusively "Eurodriver"

raven11
10-16-2012, 17:50

I thought it was suppose to be Thailand?:dunno:

1-2man
10-16-2012, 17:52
I thought it would be a track video so we could give you tips/critique on body position, lean angle, braking, etc.. This vid doesn't show much except that maybe you're new to riding SS bikes? Notchy, erratic shifting, riding the lane markers, passing your buddy in the same lane (gotta hope he doesn't slide over during your maneuver.) Just a couple things I noticed. :dunno: Better video would have been of you buddy filming you (assuming that was your bike doing the filming.)

SMOKEin
10-16-2012, 17:55
When you pull in the clutch to downshift, give a blip of throttle to bring everything up to speed with the increased rpm's.

SMOKEin
10-16-2012, 17:56
oh... and wear gloves goober.

Eurodriver
10-16-2012, 17:56
I thought it would be a track video so we could give you tips/critique on body position, lean angle, braking, etc.. This vid doesn't show much except that maybe you're new to riding SS bikes? Notchy, erratic shifting, riding the lane markers, passing your buddy in the same lane (gotta hope he doesn't slide over during your maneuver.) Just a couple things I noticed. :dunno: Better video would have been of you buddy filming you (assuming that was your bike doing the filming.)

Thanks. Thats more towards what I was looking for.

Yes, I had been riding my bike for like 3 days when it was made. Still very new to shifting (But not really to motorcycles - I'm sure fuzzynuts will be in here in a moment to explain that)

I'm taking a class in a month and I'll try to get vids of me on the track. But I'm really having trouble getting smooth shifts. My buddy told me he doesn't even use the clutch to upshift :shocked: i need professional instruction.

1-2man
10-16-2012, 18:07

Yes, I had been riding my bike for like 3 days when it was made. Still very new to shifting (But not really to motorcycles - I'm sure fuzzynuts will be in here in a moment to explain that)

I'm taking a class in a month and I'll try to get vids of me on the track. But I'm really having trouble getting smooth shifts. My buddy told me he doesn't even use the clutch to upshift :shocked: i need professional instruction.

A class is a very good idea. Clutchless upshifts are here nor there. I do it occasionally on the street (very often at the track.) If the bike is new, it will shift a bit rough until broken in. If not, it'll come with time. When I go from one bike to another, it takes a minute to acclimate to shifting smoothly.

fnfalman
10-16-2012, 18:17
Where were the wheelies and stoppies?

1-2man
10-16-2012, 18:18
Where were the wheelies and stoppies?

That has to wait until day 4. :supergrin:

eaglefrq
10-16-2012, 18:28

You can preload your shifts. Lift up on the shift lever before you pull in the clutch, this will make the shifts smoother and quicker. You will also notice that you don't have to pull the clutch lever all the way in. I only have to pull my clutch lever about 1/2 way to disengage the clutch and the shift occurs very smoothly.

Is this a new bike? Is the throttle adjusted IAW the manual? If the throttle has too much play, you can also have sloppy shifts. A manual will tell you how much play you are supposed to have and how to adjust your cables. Things will stretch as they get broken in, so it's important, especially on a new bike to check the cables and chain for the proper tension.

As posted earlier, have your buddy film you (in the daylight) so we can see the body position, lean, etc...

DO NOT adopt any of your buddy's bad habits. It is very easy when you ride with someone a lot to mimic some of their actions and that can lead to very bad habits.

Overall, a little jerky, but on a bike that you are not familiar with it's not too bad. I've owned multiple bikes and every time I get a different one, I'm jerky on the throttle and shifting until I get used to the bike.

sappy13
10-16-2012, 18:33
Don't listen to your buddy about not using clutch. Clutchess shifting is really easy, but I don't think there will be any upsides in street riding. If u do choose to learn how, put a little pressure on the shifter a little before u get to that perfect shift point. Don't just slam it into gear.

Im on my phone so i havent gotten to watch the vid ywt, but as an above poster said, blipping the throttle just a tad pre downshift makes a huge difference.

I can't wait to go to a track school class one day. I'm jealous.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

nikerret
10-16-2012, 18:50
Left your turn signal on longer than necessary, failed to mainain a lane, changed lanes (intentionally, I think), failed to maintain lanes again, and waht the poster above said about the notchy shifts and the other about blipping the throttle. Looks like a new rider, or me trying to ride home in an ice storm.

goosem36
10-16-2012, 18:52
You need two things: riding gear and twisties.

686Owner
10-16-2012, 19:08
A little sugar in your gas tank will give you extra power.

LuvDog
10-16-2012, 19:29
Find some twisties

Clutch Cargo
10-16-2012, 20:10

Yes, the larger cities DO look alot like America. Ever had a Royale with cheese in Paris? :supergrin:

How are your pack riding skills? Riding with your front wheel inches from the rider in front and the rider in back of you having his wheel inches from yours is the ultimate test of skill. This is more true when riding hundreds of miles a day.

Sharkey
10-16-2012, 20:17
You need two things: riding gear and twisties.

Both are over rated when you go squidly. :shocked:

DaneA
10-16-2012, 20:28
i need professional help

The truth finally comes out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hines57
10-16-2012, 20:44
Now post up a video of you and the girlfriend. I am sure we can offer pointers for you.

ray9898
10-16-2012, 21:29
Smooth out your riding style. Too much jerky motions mostly caused by poor throttle control.

HollowHead
10-16-2012, 21:44
Elderly women who push bicycles make poor passengers. Find a Thai teen who got some back and you'll have better suspension response. HH

Diesel McBadass
10-16-2012, 21:50
well since its you eurodriver id say you need to go faster and lose the unaerodyamic helmet, also, not more weak roads, go on dirt trails with jumps and stuff

GVFlyer
10-17-2012, 02:01
i think you did fine.

NH Trucker
10-17-2012, 05:38
I was hoping to see a little old woman throw a stick at your wheels. Maybe next time.

_

Aux Bear
10-17-2012, 05:49
Didn't see any lane change signals, and you stop in the pedestrian crosswalk, not at or behind the stop line.

BigMoneyGrip
10-17-2012, 06:44
I always keep the clutch and front brake covered with a finger.

Eurodriver
10-17-2012, 08:20
I can't seem to get smooth upshifts.

Even slowly accelerating, letting the clutch out slowly while slowly rolling on the gas (I can shift flawlessly in a car) produces a jerk.

Granted - today is only day 5 on my bike but I would've hoped to get it by now.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2r430x3.jpg

Now what gear did I need to lose for aerodynamics? The helmet? That jacket is probably slowing me down too, right?

RC-RAMIE
10-17-2012, 08:28

Even slowly accelerating, letting the clutch out slowly while slowly rolling on the gas (I can shift flawlessly in a car) produces a jerk.

Now what gear did I need to lose for aerodynamics? The helmet? That jacket is probably slowing me down too, right?

Don't risk protection for aerodynamics. How are you liking the CBR vs your Aprillia?

NH Trucker
10-17-2012, 08:34

Yes, both the helmet and the jacket are slowing you down, both by weight and aerodynamics. You should put on a speedo and blast through your neighborhood. Try and get it over 100 if you can. Then hit the highway and see how much faster you can go. Then make sure to wash it in your driveway when you're done, in full view of your elderly lady friend.

Eurodriver
10-17-2012, 08:48
Don't risk protection for aerodynamics. How are you liking the CBR vs your Aprillia?

Just being sarcastic in response to this quote:

well since its you eurodriver id say you need to go faster and lose the unaerodyamic helmet, also, not more weak roads, go on dirt trails with jumps and stuff

Two entirely different machines obviously, but I like things about both. The Aprilia was so much better for short little trips around the neighborhood. Last night I went to pick up a half gallon of milk, I placed it in between my legs as I rode home. I was lucky it was only 3 blocks away. The Aprilia had infinitely more storage (the CBR literally has none) which makes it a pain in the ass because I have to carry a backpack 90% of the time I'm on the bike. It was also way more comfortable with the upright riding position and nice comfy seat.

As far as performance goes, there is no comparison whatsoever. The Aprilia did the 1/4 mile in 13.5ish. It was slow and on tight turns I felt like I was driving a Goldwing. The CBR accelerates so fast I feel like its going to come out from underneath me, braking power is incredible and its agile enough to just zoom around corners. But its extremely uncomfortable to ride long distances (especially with a backpack full of heavy books)

I wish I could afford to have both. They both have their benefits. If I had to describe each in just one word it would be:

CBR - Fun.
Aprilia - Practical.

eaglefrq
10-17-2012, 09:33
Last night I went to pick up a half gallon of milk, I placed it in between my legs as I rode home. I was lucky it was only 3 blocks away. The Aprilia had infinitely more storage (the CBR literally has none) which makes it a pain in the ass because I have to carry a backpack 90% of the time I'm on the bike. It was also way more comfortable with the upright riding position and nice comfy seat.

I feel your pain about having to wear a backpack. Check out a Tail Bag

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/luggage/tail_bags/cycle_case/rider_tail_bag.html

As far as the seat goes, a friend of mine had a Saddleman seat on his GSXR-600 and he said it was much better than stock.

http://www.saddlemen.com/Products/K2Mart/SEATS/SPORT-BIKE-SEATS/TECH-STYLE/Tech-Style-Sport-Bike-Seats.html

http://www.saddlemen.com/Products/K2Mart/SEATS/SPORT-BIKE-SEATS/SPORT-STYLE/Sport-Style-Sport-Bike-Seats.html

Bushflyr
10-17-2012, 15:07

Don't use the clutch. Seriously. You'll get way smoother shifts if you learn to just dip (or blip) the throttle and whack the gear when the box is unloaded.

fnfalman
10-17-2012, 15:49
I wish I could afford to have both. They both have their benefits. If I had to describe each in just one word it would be:

CBR - Fun.
Aprilia - Practical.

Didn't I tell you to get the Tuono?

M&P Shooter
10-17-2012, 15:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ5L9duHQzE&feature=related
More to come. I love GoPros and I love my new bike. Just had to share. Enjoy.
Looks like you need a lot more practice, good luck:whistling:

eb07
10-17-2012, 15:56
You are starving for attention. You should hook up with the old lady down the street and take out your self esteem issues on other people.

Thumpernator
10-17-2012, 16:19
Just going to be blunt. Based on that ride= soon to be organ donor. Park the bike until you get some professional training.

Goldendog Redux
10-17-2012, 16:49
Stop short shifting that thing and bounce that pig off the rev limiter.

MF

glock_collector
10-17-2012, 17:41
I'm with golden dog, my god man, for most of the vid I thought your tack was broken....NEVER/EVER let the Rs dip under 8k. You are gonna need a chimney sweeper to get all the carbon outta your pipes! I hate to say this, but if you ride like a wiennie why dont ya get a moped??60mpg...never gonna get the chicks anyway...I bet I could pull 3 plugs and still zip past ya...

whitetiger7653
10-17-2012, 18:07
You cut across the center lane, rode with the blinker on, and stopped on slick white road paint. Few things I noticed before bored out of my mind.

sappy13
10-17-2012, 18:10
You should look into getting a removal tailbag or tank bag. I used to have a tank bag for my previous bike and it made all the difference. doesnt look as cool with it, makes getting groceries and stuff much easier. Im also a big fan of a cargo net. says totally flat on the rear seat and expands enough to fit a lot of stuff.