ON now: History Channel-The Men Who Built America [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ON now: History Channel-The Men Who Built America

jame
10-16-2012, 20:14
If you're not watching the debates, (or if you are, and you blood pressure needs to come down) this show is really, really good.

It's the history of who built this country, and how they did it. Truly fascinating stuff. Started with Vanderbilt and moving on to Rockefeller.

Worth the watch!

Kalmah
10-16-2012, 20:38
You mean they're actually showing something historical, as opposed to endless airings of Pawn Stars, Ax Men, or Ice Road Truckers?

jame
10-16-2012, 20:53
Yep. Pretty good show. Really looking forward to the next one. It's pretty nice to get away from the "reality" show stuff once in awhile.

sharpshooter
10-16-2012, 21:47
They didn't build that... Somebody else made that happen.

Dennis in MA
10-17-2012, 10:03
It's a bit fluffy, but a good show. I caught the first half before SOA.

I like the other "titans" offering commentary and filler. Sumner Redstone, jack Welch, Russell Simmons. An interesting bunch.

My daughter is enjoying it. I DVR'd it overnight and we'll catch up tonight.

TBO
10-17-2012, 10:05
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/327/670/327670650_640.jpg

SC Tiger
10-17-2012, 10:09
Caught a good bit of it and DVRd the next showing.

I'm interested to see next week about how Carnagie "got his revenge" (that is how they put it) on Rockerfeller.

Rockerfeller was one smart and agressive son of a gun, that is for sure.

One thing about The History Channel is if you see a good show on but miss it, it will be on again in three hours.

ca survivor
10-18-2012, 06:41
They didn't build that... Somebody else made that happen.
Yes, they practically had slave force, for what they pay those men.

SC Tiger
10-18-2012, 06:45

But no one forced them to work for those guys either. They could have quit and worked somewhere else or started their own businesses.

Bren
10-18-2012, 07:48

In those days, especially, when people could still live off the land out west and claim land, cattle, etc. without buying it...people who chose to work for a wage were slaves? :upeyes:

Do you really think that was an intelligent comment?

Dennis in MA
10-18-2012, 08:10
I finally caught (coming up next, Dennis reveals what he caught) COMMERCIAL (up until now, Dennis seems positive about the series, until this fateful moment when he reveals what he caught up on) up on the (coming up next, Dennis continues to reveal what he caught) COMMERCIAL (Dennis is revealing what he caught up on. What will he say?) last hour of the series.

I hate when the later a show goes, the shorter the break is between commercials. It went from a solid 12 minutes early to 5 in the last FOUR commercial breaks. :upeyes:

And yes, I understand WHY the stupid channels recap just about everything that happened in the previous 105 minutes, but it wastes time that could have been discussing actual, you know, HISTORY!

I'm convinced if you take out the intros and exits and commercials, that was a 60 minute program at best. Probably 50 minutes. :(

Good stuff. I'm enjoying it. Just not enjoying being re-told what I already know FIVE TIMES ALREADY!

(I swear, if I saw Rocky shaking hands with Vandy one more time with the Effeminate Son opening or closing the pocket doors, I was going to go Monopoly on History Channel.)

Bren
10-18-2012, 08:24
I'm convinced if you take out the intros and exits and commercials, that was a 60 minute program at best. Probably 50 minutes. :(

Some British shows, yes. American shows run about 41-43 minutes with the commercials removed. You see that any time you watch TV on Netflix or Amazon.

PBCounty
10-18-2012, 08:58
Do the scenes / shots change every two seconds like you're watching a strobe light? History Channel has a bad way with that lately and it hurts my eyes.

SC Tiger
10-18-2012, 09:05
(I swear, if I saw Rocky shaking hands with Vandy one more time with the Effeminate Son opening or closing the pocket doors, I was going to go Monopoly on History Channel.)

Were you gonna throw a monacle or a small metal car at it? :tongueout:

Dennis in MA
10-18-2012, 09:18
Some British shows, yes. American shows run about 41-43 minutes with the commercials removed. You see that any time you watch TV on Netflix or Amazon.

41 minutes. Times 2 is 82 minutes.

3 minute introduction

13 commercial breaks, with a 1 minute intro each time

13 commercial breaks with a 30-second teaser every time

Not counted: Recounted facts every commercial break to bring newcomers up to speed.

That's. . . (add the 3, carry the one, divide by infinity. . . )

59.5 minutes of actual program. That means this whole thing coulda fit into one episode of Frontline. (And I HATE PBS!)