How tight should a helmet fit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How tight should a helmet fit?

jame
10-16-2012, 22:13
As i promised last night, I bought a helmet to wear when I'm riding my ATV. This is a purely subjective question, but how tight should it fit?

This one is pretty snug, with a lot of padding even on the sides of my face. I wouldn't want to wear it all day, for sure, and I'm guessing the padding will "deflate" a little. The next size up seemed a little sloppy.

Did I do OK?

ysr_racer
10-16-2012, 22:18
Snug, very snug.

It should take some effort to put it on and take it off.

TK-421
10-16-2012, 22:18
You want it tight to your head where it will move with your head, when you turn your head, and your scalp should move a bit when you move the helmet. You don't want it tight enough that it bounces around on your head and moves even when you don't move your head. But you also don't want it tight enough that it cuts off circulation or you would prefer to ride around with it. Since it's new, and the padding isn't broken in and squished down, being uncomfortable right now is fine, and it should get better as you wear it. Just always wear it, let the padding get broken in, and it should be a nice, comfortable fit.

HollowHead
10-16-2012, 22:23
If you lift it or twist it and your eyebrows move, it's too small. HH

Peace Warrior
10-16-2012, 22:27
Snug is perfect. HH's comment is a great rule of thumb as well.

On the street, back in the day, I personally always wore full faced helmets. There was no way I could "move my head inside" a helmet that properly fit and had the chin strap secured. When I held the helmet with my hands and tried to move my head only, the helmet would move as well. This kind of SNUG is a prefect word to explain the fit you want to achieve.

VC-Racing
10-17-2012, 07:08
A poor fitting helmet will make you miserable . If you decide to move up a size and its to loose , you can always wear a dew rag to makeup some of the difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

John Rambo
10-17-2012, 07:10
As i promised last night, I bought a helmet to wear when I'm riding my ATV. This is a purely subjective question, but how tight should it fit?

This one is pretty snug, with a lot of padding even on the sides of my face. I wouldn't want to wear it all day, for sure, and I'm guessing the padding will "deflate" a little. The next size up seemed a little sloppy.

Did I do OK?

Helmets will loosen up as they break in. You want your cheeks to 'chipmunk' up a tiny bit. If you wiggle it, it should not loosely wiggle around on your head. If its giving you a headache, its too tight.

Clutch Cargo
10-17-2012, 07:41
Dunno. I wear one when I ride in a state that requires one. I bought my 1970s vintage Bell half shell helmet at a garage sale for $5

VC-Racing
10-17-2012, 10:14
The last full face helmet I bought , it went thru 4 different brands before I found one that fit. My wife's was easy , her' s was a M2R. It was more $$$ than mine due to being Snell and DOT rated, but she liked the color scheme .
Fulmer $
AGV$$
Bieffe $$$
Bell Moto V $$$$

I wanted the Bieffe due to the ratings ,vent system, looks and padding, but it wasn't comfortable. The Fulmer fit , but it was kinda plain. The AGV fit well, had vents and a color scheme that matched my ATV and dirt bike. The Bell was the best of the bunch , but it was the most expensive > $200. I bought the AGV . It was a lil more than I wanted to spend but it was DOT rated. You'll have to decide how much you're willing to invest in head protection . Also, if you bought a open face helmet , reconsider a full face . It may be the difference in keeping teeth in your mouth due to a face strike to the ground or handlebars . I know mine saved my teeth several times .....

ray9898
10-17-2012, 10:59
Snug and the cheeks should be pushed in a bit.

sheriff733
10-17-2012, 11:37
If you decide to move up a size and its to loose , you can always wear a dew rag to makeup some of the difference.

Pretty sure I would rather just not wear a helmet if that was the remedy.

Peace Warrior
10-17-2012, 12:26
Pretty sure I would rather just not wear a helmet if that was the remedy.
:rofl:

Bren
10-17-2012, 13:03

Did I do OK?

It will fit looser when it breaks in a little - they always do. Always buy a helmet that feels like it might be a little too tight, not one that is comfortable or loose in the store. Att least that's for motorcycles - given the speed and environment for ATV's I'd probably just buy something loose and comfortable.

Goldendog Redux
10-17-2012, 13:18
Different lids fit different shaped melons.

You would do well to find a better deal than this helmet (http://www.btosports.com/p/BELLMOTO9).

Obviously there are cheaper helmets than 240 bucks but If you knew you were about to plow your head into the ground and could pick from a bunch of helmets I don't expect you would pick the el cheapo lid.

glock_collector
10-17-2012, 15:42
From 105mph to 0mph in 77ft, helmet never even shifted...Hows that for a fit??

fnfalman
10-17-2012, 15:46
If the fit feels like your eyes are going to pop out, then the helmet is too small. However, it should be very, very snug. Stick your fingers against your forehead and see how much gap you have there. Move the helmet side to side and back & forth to see if the helmet shifts. If the helmet shifts, then it is either too large OR has the wrong shape for your head.

Happypuppy
10-17-2012, 15:51
Take a firm grip or better have someone else wiggle it hard. See if you have any movement. To fit my melon, they hurt at temples and forehead until broken in

Peace Warrior
10-19-2012, 00:12
From 105mph to 0mph in 77ft, helmet never even shifted...Hows that for a fit??
I'm gonna go out on limb here and guess that the fit was SNUG.(?) :whistling:

NeverMore1701
10-19-2012, 00:26
Ok, I'm considering buying one for when I ride. I really like the looks of this one, but not the price. Any suggestions for something similar looking but more economic? I found a cool one that's bluetooth, which I thought was cool, but doesn't have the visor.

http://www.jafrum.com/core/media/media.nl/id.22706/c.433673/.f?h=169f11e8d24e6a002463

Clutch Cargo
10-19-2012, 00:33
Ok, I'm considering buying one for when I ride. I really like the looks of this one, but not the price. Any suggestions for something similar looking but more economic? I found a cool one that's bluetooth, which I thought was cool, but doesn't have the visor.

http://www.jafrum.com/core/media/media.nl/id.22706/c.433673/.f?h=169f11e8d24e6a002463

When wearing a full-face racing-helmet, what do folks with BAD allerdies do when they sneeze massive amounts of mucous? :rofl:

NeverMore1701
10-19-2012, 00:35
When wearing a full-face racing-helmet, what do folks with BAD allerdies do when they sneeze massive amounts of mucous? :rofl:

I dunno, but its gotta beat taking a 3" grasshopper to the eye at 60mph! That's the main reason I'm thinking about getting one, I lost a $300 pair of Maui Jims that way this summer. Saved my eye, but still pissed me off.

Still not finding a dual sport with bluetooth, it would be cool to ride and listen to music sans ear buds.

Also want something with clear/amber/smoke faceplates.

tantrix
10-19-2012, 00:44
Snug, very snug.

It should take some effort to put it on and take it off.

This.

The helmet shouldn't flop around if you turn your head left and right, without the chin strap secured. It should literally fit like a glove does on your hands.

Clutch Cargo
10-19-2012, 02:48
I dunno, but its gotta beat taking a 3" grasshopper to the eye at 60mph! That's the main reason I'm thinking about getting one, I lost a $300 pair of Maui Jims that way this summer. Saved my eye, but still pissed me off.

Still not finding a dual sport with bluetooth, it would be cool to ride and listen to music sans ear buds.

Also want something with clear/amber/smoke faceplates.

A rock kicked up by a truck does more damage than a grasshopper. Riding glasses and styling glasses should br worn at appropriate times. A good pair of polarized glasses for $40 goes well with my Oakleys.

AK_Stick
10-19-2012, 02:52

I'm always afraid to sneeze when I'm wearing my helmet. Generally because I'm driving fast enough that I think that moment of closing my eyes will result in death.

NeverMore1701
10-19-2012, 03:02
A rock kicked up by a truck does more damage than a grasshopper. Riding glasses and styling glasses should br worn at appropriate times. A good pair of polarized glasses for $40 goes well with my Oakleys.

No rocks flying around where I ride my 4 wheelers, and after losing my MJs I wear cheap glasses to ride now, but I'm liking the idea of head protection, eye protection, and music all in one.

trashcat
10-19-2012, 17:39
If it's too tight you'll hate wearing it. Try on different sizes to see what size/brand works for you they're like shoes size/brand/model make a difference. To test for it being to loose, put it on cinch the chin strap where two fingers will fit tightly between the strap and your chin, then tilt your head forward reach back and grab the back of the helmet and try to pull it off your head. If you can pull it off or it feels like it will almost pull off it's to big. Some brands/models will have different size cheek pads you can order to make it fit your face better.