S&W M&P 15 Tactical at Dicks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 15 Tactical at Dicks

Chuck66
10-16-2012, 22:37
I've posted in other threads, and tried to get all the answer I seek whilst shopping for my first AR by searching past threads, here and at other forums/Google. I'm just not finding any info on this gun. Maybe that's an answer in itself.

Dicks has an M&P 15 Tactical with quad rail, the melonite barrel with 5R rifling and flip up front and rear sights on sale for $999. I can do the Dicks credit cardand get another 10% off, making this $910, or just over $1k out the door. (card to be paid off next day.)

I'm interested, however, in my newb-ness, I have questions I can't find an answer to.

Is this a mid-length gas system? Looks like it to me, but IDK.

Is this a free-float rail? And will I care for punching paper?

Anything else I should be concerned about on this particular gun? I like the longer rail, because I like to reach more forward to grip the fore grip. But don't care for the feel of the bare rails. Seems like it would really dig in after a while of shooting. Would likely add an AFG later either way.

Thoughts and comments much appreciated. :wavey:

mjkeat
10-16-2012, 22:55
The 10in free float rail is short for my liking. The pic rails don't dig. Gloves are always an option. I do believe it is a midlength. The barrel is something that interests me and I'd like to give it a try. The price is a little high as compared to prices of other ARs. But like I said I'm not a fan of the rail so I'd end up changing it.

cyphertext
10-16-2012, 23:11
No, it is not a mid length gas system. Yes, it is a free float rail.

The new M&P 15T with the melonite barrel is basically a Sport with forward assist, dust cover, and a free float rail. The barrel, BCG, and lower are the same as on the Sport. Knowing this, I agree that the price is high, as the rail appears to be a UTG Pro rail. This should only run about $200 more tops than the Sport, in my opinion.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

TangoFoxtrot
10-17-2012, 03:19
Hell by a Sport model and use the extra money to buy more ammo.

Matthew Courtney
10-17-2012, 04:40
Sportsmans outdoor superstore has it for $899 with free shipping. If a 10 inch rail and MBUS are what you want, that is a decent price. By the time you shaved or replaced the front sight on a Sport with a gas block and rail mounted sight, you would be at the same price point without the resale value.

Chuck66
10-17-2012, 06:42
Thanks all. That clears up a lot for me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

M&P15T
10-17-2012, 07:14
$899 sounds like a decent deal.

Unles you could find and orignal M&P15T NIB (there are two different models that share the same name) for the same or less.

The original has a mid-length gas system, w/Troy rail & sights, M4 profile 1/9 barrel.

Chuck66
10-17-2012, 07:44
$899 sounds like a decent deal.

Unles you could find and orignal M&P15T NIB (there are two different models that share the same name) for the same or less.

The original has a mid-length gas system, w/Troy rail & sights, M4 profile 1/9 barrel.

I kind of thought you might reply in this thread. :supergrin:

That's something else I've been searching on. The differences between the current tactical and the original model. I didn't know if this one at Dicks was a special run for them, because I don't recognize it among the models on S&W's website. That made me wonder if it might be subject to cost-cutting measures.

cyphertext
10-17-2012, 07:56
There have been discussions on other forums about the 15T at Dick's being a little different than the one with the SKU on my link above. The biggest difference being that it is coming with a 10 round magazine instead of the 30 round Pmag. Some are speculating that S&W has removed the bullet button on some CA compliant rifles and sent them to Dick's as a special run.

cyphertext
10-17-2012, 07:57
If you are interested in the original model, CDNN has those for $1099

Chuck66
10-17-2012, 09:02
Thanks!

M&P15T
10-17-2012, 09:37
If you are interested in the original model, CDNN has those for $1099

What page? Their darn catalog is 124 pages long!!!

Oooh...oh....page 11.

Yup, appears to be original. I would hope that you actually get what is in the picture.

cyphertext
10-17-2012, 09:48
What page? Their darn catalog is 124 pages long!!!

Oooh...oh....page 11.

Yup, appears to be original. I would hope that you actually get what is in the picture.

You get a free optic with purchase too. I bet the guys in the other thread would love to hear about it! :supergrin:

It is also on page 1...

M&P15T
10-17-2012, 09:58
You get a free optic with purchase too. I bet the guys in the other thread would love to hear about it! :supergrin:

It is also on page 1...

That is absoutely too weird. First, I can't believe I missed it on the first page.

Second, in "the other thread", I just posted about that optic. I checked one out yesterday that another AR shooter was using.

It's spectacular for $99.00, or "free" with a S&W AR. An original 15T with one of those optics would be awesome for fun & HD/SD.

Ooooooops!!! I meant terrible, absolutely terrible. Not combat ready, not assault rated, not good enough.:rofl::rofl:

OP, you should jump on that.

mjkeat
10-17-2012, 18:57
I went to the range today. I met a guy who was using a Tasco red dot optic. W/ all the "just as good" talk I decided I would try it out since I hadn't purchased 3-4 cheap optics trying to skimp by in the past. Well the wierdest thing, All that past experience w/ cheap optics before moving onto quality optics was wrong, dead wrong. That Tasco RDS was awesome, I mean absolutely excellent. It was just as good if not better than all those Aimpoints, Elcans and ACOGs I've purchased or was issued.

I mean I put a lot of rounds down range using the Tasco today. An entire magazine on the static range on a nice sunny fall day w/o even the slightest issue. I mean hell that should be proof enough for anyone. An entire magazine! If you can't figure out everything there is to know about an optic in an entire magazine you're crazy. That's T&E to the maximum.

LL6
10-17-2012, 20:13
I went to the range today. I met a guy who was using a Tasco red dot optic. W/ all the "just as good" talk I decided I would try it out since I hadn't purchased 3-4 cheap optics trying to skimp by in the past. Well the wierdest thing, All that past experience w/ cheap optics before moving onto quality optics was wrong, dead wrong. That Tasco RDS was awesome, I mean absolutely excellent. It was just as good if not better than all those Aimpoints, Elcans and ACOGs I've purchased or was issued.

I mean I put a lot of rounds down range using the Tasco today. An entire magazine on the static range on a nice sunny fall day w/o even the slightest issue. I mean hell that should be proof enough for anyone. An entire magazine! If you can't figure out everything there is to know about an optic in an entire magazine you're crazy. That's T&E to the maximum.

Your sarcasm needs practice. :rofl:

K. Foster
10-17-2012, 20:42

That was funny:rofl:

WoodenPlank
10-17-2012, 21:05
No, it is not a mid length gas system. Yes, it is a free float rail.

The new M&P 15T with the melonite barrel is basically a Sport with forward assist, dust cover, and a free float rail. The barrel, BCG, and lower are the same as on the Sport. Knowing this, I agree that the price is high, as the rail appears to be a UTG Pro rail. This should only run about $200 more tops than the Sport, in my opinion.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Yep, it's a UTG rail. That alone is enough to make me suggest avoid it. Their track record is definitely not one of quality.

Mayhem like Me
10-18-2012, 07:38
While you are at Dicks look at the TROY carbine, They are shooters...

M&P15T
10-18-2012, 07:58
Well OP? What'd you do?

Chuck66
10-18-2012, 12:09
Well OP? What'd you do?

Nothing. Yet. :supergrin:

Actually, what I did was decide to NOT buy the S&W from Dick's. Doesn't seem like a good value for what's offered, once I learned all the particulars.

I'm back to deciding between the Colt 6920/6720, a WW SRC, or a PSA in whatever configuration. I haven't completely written off the Troy at Dick's.

And...I got an email from PSA today that says they are now selling a PSA/Troy rifle that looks to be outfitted similar to the Troy at Dick's.

We'll see. In the meantime, I'll continue to research and obsess about it in general. :embarassed: I may just wait until after the election and see if Romney wins and maybe take advantage of whatever glut might hit the market.

cyphertext
10-18-2012, 12:19
Not to push you, but on ar15.com, PSA said that they are going to have a mid length with an Aimpoint Pro on sale this weekend... :supergrin:

scccdoc
10-18-2012, 12:27
Was the "free" optic a Tasco?

cyphertext
10-18-2012, 12:36
Was the "free" optic a Tasco?

I think it is a TruGlo, but the ad doesn't state what it is... I only mentioned it to give M&P15T a little ribbing about the beating he was taking in that other thread.

WoodenPlank
10-18-2012, 12:41
Not to push you, but on ar15.com, PSA said that they are going to have a mid length with an Aimpoint Pro on sale this weekend... :supergrin:

Now that could be an interesting deal, depending on specs....

scccdoc
10-18-2012, 13:41
I think it is a TruGlo, but the ad doesn't state what it is... I only mentioned it to give M&P15T a little ribbing about the beating he was taking in that other thread.

I ask because I'm thinking about optics for my next AR or after I learn the BUIS on my Colt.

[QUOTE=mjkeat;19529149]I went to the range today. I met a guy who was using a Tasco red dot optic. W/ all the "just as good" talk I decided I would try it out since I hadn't purchased 3-4 cheap optics trying to skimp by in the past. Well the wierdest thing, All that past experience w/ cheap optics before moving onto quality optics was wrong, dead wrong. That Tasco RDS was awesome, I mean absolutely excellent. It was just as good if not better than all those Aimpoints, Elcans and ACOGs I've purchased or was issued.

I take MJ seriously,was I supposed to? DOC

cyphertext
10-18-2012, 13:58
I ask because I'm thinking about optics for my next AR or after I learn the BUIS on my Colt.

[QUOTE=mjkeat;19529149]I went to the range today. I met a guy who was using a Tasco red dot optic. W/ all the "just as good" talk I decided I would try it out since I hadn't purchased 3-4 cheap optics trying to skimp by in the past. Well the wierdest thing, All that past experience w/ cheap optics before moving onto quality optics was wrong, dead wrong. That Tasco RDS was awesome, I mean absolutely excellent. It was just as good if not better than all those Aimpoints, Elcans and ACOGs I've purchased or was issued.

I think that post was being a little sarcastic.... :rofl:

I'm sorry DOC, but this made me laugh....hard..:supergrin:

scccdoc
10-18-2012, 14:05
[quote=scccdoc;19531488]I ask because I'm thinking about optics for my next AR or after I learn the BUIS on my Colt.

I think that post was being a little sarcastic.... :rofl:

I'm sorry DOC, but this made me laugh....hard..:supergrin:

That's why I asked if I should take him seriously.:embarassed:

He's a good guy and some times more expensive does not necessarily mean better. Can you tell I'm a newb?:crying:

cyphertext
10-18-2012, 14:23
That's why I asked if I should take him seriously.:embarassed:

He's a good guy and some times more expensive does not necessarily mean better. Can you tell I'm a newb?:crying:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm a newb to these rifles too. I would rather ask and be sure, than waste my money on something. :cool:

scccdoc
10-18-2012, 14:44
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm a newb to these rifles too. I would rather ask and be sure, than waste my money on something. :cool:

cool............................................

Sharkey
10-18-2012, 15:28
Dicks has an M&P 15 Tactical with quad rail, the melonite barrel with 5R rifling and flip up front and rear sights on sale for $999. I can do the Dicks credit cardand get another 10% off, making this $910, or just over $1k out the door. (card to be paid off next day.)

Thoughts and comments much appreciated. :wavey:

Check out the Troy Carbine while you are there. Lots of features for the price. Check Troy's site for specs. on the rifle. I did the exact same thing with Dick's credit that you are thinking of doing. I got the Troy Rifle for $900 and a $30 gift card to buy some mags.

The M&P15T is a nice rifle but it never hurts to have options.

Chuck66
10-18-2012, 18:01
I like the Troy, but, perhaps foolishly, I'm put off by its appearance. I know it should be function over form, but I am buying for funsies, not for battle, so I figure I can afford to be a little shallow on the looks thing. It's not out of the running yet. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. That many people saying that many good things about it is bound to mean something.

Plus I hear it will come with a free optic this weekend. :supergrin:

mjkeat
10-18-2012, 21:44

No! Do not take me seriously in this case. Seriously. I have tried lots of different cheap optics only to be highly disapointed.

Edit: There isn't a reliable source that would mess around w/ am optic for a couple of minutes then come onto a forum like this and proclaim it worthwhile or state that people should spend their money on it.

Chuck66
10-19-2012, 14:18
I've gotta say, that PSA deal this weekend looks great on paper. It's a middy M4 with an Aimpoint Pro for $999. The cheapest I saw the Aimpoint online(during a very quick glance) was $380 new. Locally A guy has one on Craigslist for $250. Not sure I'd want to trust buying a used one from a stranger.

Is that about right for the new Aimpoint? One way to look at it, if so, is you're getting that rifle for $620. And I want a middy, so, win-win.

cyphertext
10-19-2012, 15:01
That Aimpoint is about a $400 optic, so it looks like a great deal to me.

Chuck66
10-19-2012, 16:01
The only thing I wanted different is I wanted the MOE furniture. Those guards look awfully awkward to me. But, I can fix that easily enough.

Warp
10-19-2012, 18:05
I've gotta say, that PSA deal this weekend looks great on paper. It's a middy M4 with an Aimpoint Pro for $999. The cheapest I saw the Aimpoint online(during a very quick glance) was $380 new. Locally A guy has one on Craigslist for $250. Not sure I'd want to trust buying a used one from a stranger.

Is that about right for the new Aimpoint? One way to look at it, if so, is you're getting that rifle for $620. And I want a middy, so, win-win.

I recommend the either/or between a 6920 and the PSA deal going right now. $999 for the complete rifle with a $400 Aimpoint PRO...that's pretty good.

...but the Colt's a Colt. :cool:

nipperwolf
10-19-2012, 18:49
I like the Troy, but, perhaps foolishly

;)x10

Chuck66
10-19-2012, 19:56
;)x10

Wait, I want to make sure I follow. Foolish to focus on looks and ignore the other positive attributes of the Troy? Or foolish to get the Troy? I think I know what you mean, but I'm really curious to hear from someone who has an opinion on the Troy based on experience. :wavey:

It's on my to-do list to check it out again tomorrow. I don't know that anything is going to top the "value" of the PSA deal. But, then, I get too hung up on value sometimes. Best thing I can do is just walk away for a week or two and come back a little less into the hunt. There will always be deals. :faint:

cyphertext
10-19-2012, 20:34
There will always be deals. :faint:

They said that this was a limited run on the other forum... :whistling:

Chuck66
10-19-2012, 20:57
They said that this was a limited run on the other forum... :whistling:

Well....there will always be other deals. :supergrin:

I'm going to bed, where I'll probably dream of ARs all night. Truthfully, I've put way too much into this shopping experience. Not that it isn't fun, but it is frustrating to an over-thinker like myself. Maybe I'll just take my AR budget and spend half on a G17, and half on a new shotgun and save myself the agony of picking through the overwhelming number of combinations and options in the AR world.

Or maybe I'll buy that PSA right now. DAMMIT! :rofl:

Goodnight all. :wavey:

Mayhem like Me
10-20-2012, 20:51
Well....there will always be other deals. :supergrin:

I'm going to bed, where I'll probably dream of ARs all night. Truthfully, I've put way too much into this shopping experience. Not that it isn't fun, but it is frustrating to an over-thinker like myself. Maybe I'll just take my AR budget and spend half on a G17, and half on a new shotgun and save myself the agony of picking through the overwhelming number of combinations and options in the AR world.

Or maybe I'll buy that PSA right now. DAMMIT! :rofl:

Goodnight all. :wavey:

Deals will always be around check CDNN they always come up with something.
A friend bought a s&w Vtac m&p15 from them for under a grand last year great rifle.

Chuck66
10-20-2012, 22:23
Deals will always be around check CDNN they always come up with something...

Thanks. That's pretty much how I'm looking at it.

I think I'm going to wait a little and buy a Colt. I looked at the Troy today and stood there talking to the guy working the counter for about 15 minutes and just held the Troy the whole time. It's so stinking heavy with that rail. I had him swap it out for a Bushmaster M4 style, and the difference in comfort struck me instantly. I didn't like the grip on the Troy either. Seems like I wouldn't have enjoyed the stuff that makes it special, and the only non-displays were over serial 500 so they weren't even in the special milled receiver run.(The very beat up display was :faint: ) I'm sure it's a great deal, just not what I want.

I'll probably end up with a 6920, maybe the Magpul edition. I also plan to buy a couple of stripped receivers as they become available and I'll build a couple with some special touches to my liking later, too.

LA_357SIG
10-21-2012, 11:59
Even though the Troy may be heavier, the cost of modifying a plain jane AR will probably exceed the up front cost of the Troy as is.

-In a nutshell, you will more than likely swap and add aftermarket parts and ulitmately make it just as heavy as the Troy was. Plus you will spend more money in the long run doing so. IMOYMMV

Sharkey
10-21-2012, 14:10
The Troy is heavy? Compared to a RRA I use to own, it is down right light. Never having owned a PSA, I'm sure it is a nice gun but at the end of the day, it is still a run of the mill $700 AR. $200 more and you get A LOT of nice stuff on your rifle with the Troy. They have always been a top notch parts supplier so having a complete rifle from them is icing on the cake. Colt 6920 is a nice rifle. That said, they are far from the only game in town. I'm not happy with some of Colt's other stuff over the years so I saw no reason to give them $1K of my money. I'm sure any of the four rifles that have been mentioned will be fine. Get what feels best for you. BTW the Troy rifles do not like Pmags. Not an issue for me since the 4 that I own stick with my YHM rifle.

TangoFoxtrot
10-22-2012, 04:12
I rather start with a plain jane rifle and custom outfit to my likeing than settle for a prebuilt.

mjkeat
10-22-2012, 09:55
I'd rather start w/ a basic carbine as well. That way I can install things that I think will improve my shooting based on hands on rather than what looks cool or what others think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RJHUB
10-22-2012, 13:35
The Troy at dicks has alpha rail and flip up sites.
A Troy FH and a battle ax stock. Lot of goodies if you like them.
The PSA I think also has MBUIS + PRO.

Sharkey
10-23-2012, 08:02
The Troy at dicks has alpha rail and flip up sites.
A Troy FH and a battle ax stock. Lot of goodies if you like them.
The PSA I think also has MBUIS + PRO.

The Troy rifle is also on sale this week at Dick's. $900 final price on that rifle is a pretty darn good deal. You end up getting a $30 gift card a month later which helps pay for the Troy 3 mag. pack. :whistling:

TangoFoxtrot
10-24-2012, 05:27
The Troy rifle is also on sale this week at Dick's. $900 final price on that rifle is a pretty darn good deal. You end up getting a $30 gift card a month later which helps pay for the Troy 3 mag. pack. :whistling:

The Dick's Sporting Goods in my area is a rip off. The AR accessories prices are off the wall.

LL6
10-24-2012, 05:55
The Dick's Sporting Goods in my area is a rip off. The AR accessories prices are off the wall.
We used to say "Dick's where it's more than just a store name, it's an attitude." :rofl:
To be fair this was based more on their online store than local.

Chuck66
10-25-2012, 08:17
I ordered a stripped blem lower from PSA last night. I'm still going to shop for a complete rifle, too. I passed on the Aimpoint package deal from PSA because I still wasn't sure I wanted that particular rifle and all in all it was only about a $60-$80 savings, so I took a step back and decided to wait a while. This will give me a starting point, though. Looking forward to building it out. :cool: