Wood burning stove that charges electronics... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wood burning stove that charges electronics...

jp3975
10-17-2012, 04:24
How cool is that?

http://shop.biolitestove.com/BioLite-CampStove_p_15.html

sheriff733
10-17-2012, 06:40
Kind of an odd combo of things in one device, but I like it.

:supergrin:

DairyFresh
10-17-2012, 09:36
I'll put it next to my butter churn/DVR.

jp3975
10-17-2012, 13:29
You guys dont think it would be handy to have a camp stove that charges devices like cell phones?

sheriff733
10-17-2012, 13:36
You guys dont think it would be handy to have a camp stove that charges devices like cell phones?

Problem is they already make those, but without the size and fire hazard of the burner.

Spare external batteries are cheap.

Glock20 10mm
10-17-2012, 14:25
How funny you posted this! I was just thinking yesterday there has to be some way for me to generate electricity from my wood stove. Living off grid as I do, I am always looking into ways to generate power using the materials readily available to me... I have 77 acres of Oak and Madrone for fuel sources...

Glock20 10mm
10-17-2012, 14:30
And here may be my solution!!!

http://tegpower.com/

TK-421
10-17-2012, 14:41
I like it that you can charge your phone off it, and it seems handy for backpacking, if you'll be in an area where you can gather wood. But, for regular camping, I'd rather have a roaring fire to cook my food, and just keep a spare battery for my phone, if I'm going to be gone so long that I think I'll need it.

devildog2067
10-17-2012, 14:41

Why would I be using my cell phone when I'm camping? :dunno: I turn all that crap off when I'm out in the woods.

I have a thing that lets me charge a device off of AA batteries in case of emergency, I carry an ebook reader for long trips (which will last weeks on a single charge) and other than that I don't use electronic crap.

Brucev
10-17-2012, 15:18
BioLite CampStove The Biolite Campstove is a good idea. The adaptation of it to use in a third world home setting is a very excellent idea. The TEG would be very useful for many people.

Bow Commander
10-17-2012, 21:13
Shut up and take my money.

m2hmghb
10-17-2012, 21:43
I'm thinking about it for power outages. Ever since Irene hit us the grid here hasn't been the most reliable. It would be nice to keep an MP3 player and ebook reader running without having to deal with an excessive amount of batteries.

raven11
10-17-2012, 22:00
pretty cool, i might just buy one to have in case of emergencies

LASTRESORT20
10-17-2012, 22:00
I like the idea (wood-burning) smoke...sniff...ahhh .....but playing that video and listening to the gay sounding "Liberal" `green man` "environmentalist" save the world "voice" made me want to puke....other than that..the device is cool....

TK-421
10-17-2012, 22:03
I like the idea (wood-burning) smoke...sniff...ahhh .....but playing that video and listening to the gay sounding "Liberal" `green man` "environmentalist" save the world "voice" made me want to puke....other than that..the device is cool....

That's why I watched the video with the sound muted. :tongueout:

m2hmghb
10-17-2012, 22:04

I guess I didn't have a problem because I'm used to it, we get those types from philly and nyc.

Glotin
10-17-2012, 22:19

As someone who has lived for weeks without power following hurricanes, I think it would be useful for those applications. It think it's pretty cool to generate electricity from waste heat.

jp3975
10-19-2012, 16:03
And here may be my solution!!!

http://tegpower.com/

Pretty cool site.

I didnt realize they had many products that capture waste heat.

Why would I be using my cell phone when I'm camping? :dunno: I turn all that crap off when I'm out in the woods.

I have a thing that lets me charge a device off of AA batteries in case of emergency, I carry an ebook reader for long trips (which will last weeks on a single charge) and other than that I don't use electronic crap.

I guess its not for all people.

Me...I get bored waiting for a deer to drop by when hunting and play games on my phone.

No use for it in that application, but if i was camping for several days id want it.

My girlfriend's dad showed it to me. He's planning to live off the land, trapping small animals and such from Nov to January and he loves it. He's also taking a few solar panels.

DustyJacket
10-19-2012, 18:06
(wrong thread)

kc5cychris
10-20-2012, 10:36
I think that is a cool idea. just imagine if you are suddley with out a soucre to cook or charge your phone. you know maybe a hurricane, or something similar. My wife and I where in VA when hurricane Isacic hit several years back 15 days with out power, luckily we had a gas grill and wher able to obtain son ice. Treated it like a camp out all was good. Did get warm though summer heat.
Also when I was a kid in the 70s the snow removal guy from the county pulled the power transformer off its base took 3 weeks for them to fix that. this would have been cool. fortunetly we had a wood stove heat/cooking way old school.