Curious how many times it took for YOU to get on? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Curious how many times it took for YOU to get on?

Sheppick.dan
10-17-2012, 05:42
Good Morning Everyone,

I have been on 2 final interviews so far and haven't gotten either job. I was curious how many times it took you until you were hired on at a agency?

I was able to get the chief to meet with me after my last one and talk about what I could do differently etc etc. He was very helpful and pretty much told me I needed to me more memorable and in a way toot my own horn. He said I passed the interview as did everyone else but when it came down to them discussing us nobody "stood out" in their minds so they didn't hire any of us. He did tell me to apply again and he thought I'd get it the next time after our talk but I was just curious to see how many times it took others.

Thanks,
Dan

lethal tupperwa
10-17-2012, 05:43
once.

RyanNREMTP
10-17-2012, 06:19
One and a half.

First agency I applied at and did an interview called me back two months later asking if I still wanted the position after another opening came up.

Dukeboy01
10-17-2012, 07:12
Once. I was finishing up my Junior year of college, majoring in Police Studies, and "everyone" kept telling me that you had to apply multiple times in order to get hired. I figured I'd go through a couple of hiring processes in order to get the experience under my belt and ended up getting hired with the agency I'm still at today.

That being said, it's normal to have to apply multiple times and with multiple agencies before you get a first job offer. I wouldn't get to discouraged until your rejection notices hit double digits.

BL33D 4 M3
10-17-2012, 07:14
Tested twice, hired twice.

longhaulcop
10-17-2012, 07:32
3 times with the department that eventually hired me. I tested at three other departments and, one called after I accepted a position with the first department. Keep at it, competition is tough right now.

x_out86
10-17-2012, 08:34
Unlike the others here, I wasnt so lucky to get on right away. I worked p/t for a couple departments, but I interviewed with about 7 or 8 agencies before I got picked up full time.

It was very frustrating, especially since I was always finishing in the top. I had so many chief/sheriff interviews that I was getting to know every chief/sheriff in my area and the adjacent counties by first name. Dont let it get you down, competition is VERY tough right now. I know it sucks not getting hired, but if you finish towards the top of interview processes just remind yourself that you are obviously a good candidate and eventually it will pay off.

msu_grad_121
10-17-2012, 08:42
Once? Kee-rist, I wish...

Once as a part-timer, way back when. Once as a full timer the first time. Then I swear to you, I can't even remember how many times I tested, interviewed, etc. for departments in the last 2 years. I KNOW I've put out well over 100 apps and taken probably 35-40 tests, probably more. Interviewed with probably a dozen and a half to 2 dozen agencies or more, but finally got on.

Like several members here have said to me (and you guys know who you are), just keep the faith, man. It'll happen if you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it.

Good luck!

Cochese
10-17-2012, 09:50
I applied quite a bit and had to move to Texas to finally get hired on after putting myself through the academy.

Officer X
10-17-2012, 10:18
2 1/2 years of taking various tests and interviews with 4 different PDs before going out and testing for the LAPD. Got a hire notice for the LAPD before any others and was preparing to move when I was notified that I was being hired here and decided to stay in NJ.

After several years with my first agency, I took the civil service exam and was picked right up by my current PD within a couple months of the results coming out.

Don't give up, it can be frustrating.

collim1
10-17-2012, 11:18
First one.

DaBigBR
10-17-2012, 11:21
I was originally hired at the first place I "applied". I phrase it like that because it was small enough that the Chief just picked who he wanted, when he wanted. No real "process." While I worked there I applied at a couple of places and was not hired. A coworker with more experience was actually hired over me at one of the jobs. I applied at my current job in Fall 2009 and was not hired until December 2011. Sometimes it takes a while. You just never know.

SCSU74
10-17-2012, 12:16
In Minnesota about 20 departments, after giving up hope there I got hired by the first department I applied with in Tx.

Dragoon44
10-17-2012, 12:21
Once.

Dragoon44
10-17-2012, 12:22
In Minnesota about 20 departments, after giving up hope there I got hired by the first department I applied with in Tx.

So you couldn't get hired in the U.S.?

:tongueout::wavey:

blueiron
10-17-2012, 12:23
I applied with at least ten agencies. Once I got my first offer and committed, the other offers began pouring in. I should have taken the one of the other offers instead of the initial one.

RyanNREMTP
10-17-2012, 12:23
Once.

Was that when you created the police department?

blueiron
10-17-2012, 12:27

Now, THAT is humor!

golls17
10-17-2012, 12:42
First time I got hired, I was #1 on a couple lists, took the first to actually give the offer. Wish I held out for the other, but oh well.

This time around, I've probably tested and/or interviewed with at least 50 agencies. Got as far as the background. I'm not ready to jump ship, but I'm starting to take note of where the life boats are...

rockapede
10-17-2012, 12:54
Tested twice, hired thrice (First agency, left for another, and came back without testing again). I lucked into the first job as they were testing for three spots and had connections at the second.

Dragoon44
10-17-2012, 12:56

Nitpicker!

:tongueout::rofl:

SCSU74
10-17-2012, 13:12
So you couldn't get hired in the U.S.?

:tongueout::wavey:

Haha it really seems like two different worlds when I go back and visit. Find myself shaking my head more and more when I'm back :)

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

golls17
10-17-2012, 13:19

I keep hearing TX likes Midwest officers. Is that true?

GRIMLET
10-17-2012, 14:19
Hired after one test and interview. There were seven openings and well over a hundred who took the written test. Apx 10 were interviewed the morning I went. None of the others who were hired were there then.

If you want to stand out, bring a short resume in a clear plastic folder with you. I brought ten. There were six officials on the board. Those who were not listening how great I was were reading how great I was. It worked for me.

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 15:06
I dont know the exact number because I applied to a lot of places "at the same time" and was hired before I burned through all of them.

A number of places did not want to hire me because they (and I appreciate them being honest) thought I was just out to play cop or have an adventure. My credentials/background were very good but my motives, yeah, looked questionable from the outside.

About the 6th or so place that I was actually in the process with (not just an application) gave me a shot. I am still there (about 2 years now) and very happy considering they want me to go full time, and other indicators, they are happy as well. (I work full time sometimes but I am not going to actually go full time)

Other agencies have now tried to recruit me. I am not interested. All indications are that I am at the right agency now. I am very lucky and grateful to have landed where I did.

Dragoon44
10-17-2012, 16:40
Oy! Billy the Yid, where ya been?

:tongueout::supergrin::wavey:

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 16:47
Oy! Billy the Yid, where ya been?

:tongueout::supergrin::wavey:

Playing cop and looking for adventure... :supergrin:

My reserve gig has pretty much turned into a full time job. I am very happy with it. I wont actually take a full time spot because then I can turn it off when I need/want to. For now, I just fill holes in the schedule. Everyone is happy and I am on the streets 20-40 hours a week.

blueiron
10-17-2012, 17:26
If you want to stand out, bring a short resume in a clear plastic folder with you.

At our hirings, we asked if anyone had a resume. We collected them and promptly threw them away.

Our HR and PD hiring notice stated that only City applications, forms, and Arizona POST background questionnaires were accepted. We considered it part of being able to follow directions.

Read exactly what the hiring agency wants and comply with it.

Sgt127
10-17-2012, 20:15
One agency. Hired on as a Reserve, two years later, tested for regular and got the job. Full time now for about 26 years. Never applied for Reserve or Regular anywhere else.

At the time, our agency had a really strong Reserve program (like, 45 Officers) and they wanted to fill a few more positions. It was fairly easy to get on. After two years, everyone pretty much knew me and the transition to regular (after passing all the Civil Service tests, physical, psych, poly etc), was pretty anticlimactic. It was really good, if unintentional, timing on my part.

nikerret
10-17-2012, 20:16
A whole hell of a bunch and several thousand miles worth of driving all over KS for two years.

I had two really big things against me before I even walked in the door. Trying to get hired before 21 to start immediately when I was 21; kept getting told I didn't have enough life experience (not sure how they "knew" that from my form application). Wasn't certified LEO. In KS, you have to be hired to be sent ot the Academy. It makes it hard for ANYONE who isn't already certified. The majority of my rejections were becasue someone certified had applied.

Gombey
10-17-2012, 20:56
I applied to my current agency in 2009 (applied and took the test) was hired in 2011.

I tested applied and interviewed once at another agency. I withdrew my app because I got hired.

Agent6-3/8
10-17-2012, 21:00
I got hired at the first place I applied. Hated it and left after a year employment. I then half hearted applied with a few agencies I didn't really want to work for, but I needed a job. Didn't get hired. I then applied to my current agency and after a lengthy and gut wrenching process got hired. I think I've found a home here. Despite some minor issues its a great place to work.

I'm extremely thankful to have my current gig.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

South Fla
10-17-2012, 21:10
2 1/2 years of taking various tests and interviews with 4 different PDs before going out and testing for the LAPD. Got a hire notice for the LAPD before any others and was preparing to move when I was notified that I was being hired here and decided to stay in NJ.

You turned down the LAPD to stay in NJ?

They didn't give you a psychological exam, did they? :rofl::supergrin::rofl:

Staying on topic, I applied for 4 agencies before I was hired. But 2 of them when I was still in college in my senior year and very close to graduation.

lawman800
10-18-2012, 00:20
I applied to a few places and I processed with two places when I had no idea what I was doing and was not hired and I totally get why. I wouldn't hire me back in those days. I was that clueless. Then I learned and delved into improving myself and applied to a few more places and got picked up by one of the places that I was processing with in earnest. I think it was one of a handful but it counts as the third since I was in process with a few places but this one picked me up first before the others.

scottydl
10-18-2012, 06:58
When I started testing back in the 90's... I tested 3 times, 3 years in a row with the agency I worked for (as a TC at the front desk) and never got hired despite being at the top of the list every time. Tested another place and made it ALL the way through (including conditional offer from the agency), then the psychologist failed me saying I was too young (25 then) and inexperienced. Very frustrating. Tested 2 other places in the meantime, and transferred one score to another reciprocal department. Also had a Probation test in there which was essentially the same as the LEO process. I was hired by Probation, and then left 3 weeks later after being hired by the last agency to which I had transferred my completed score.

All said and done, I tested 7 times and transferred 1 score before being hired full time by my first agency. (Second/current agency I had no problems getting hired as a lateral, but that's another story.) A general statistic is that 1-2 of every 100 police applicants will get hired... there's a lot of competition and the straight odds are not in your favor. Hang in there, it'll happen eventually if you stick with it!

Sheppick.dan
10-18-2012, 07:43
Thanks everyone! It is that time of year where they start hiring here in Oregon. I currently have 4 applications submitted. My test scores have all been extremely good and the physical is pretty simple out here. Hopefully 1 of these 4 will pick me up. I'm ready to start my career in law enforcement.

Is there anyone that can give suggestions on what to do to gain more experience? I looked at becoming a reserve to get more experience but I currently work 6 days a week 14-16 hours a day so I don't have the spare 16 hours a week that the few agencies require you to work. I do try to do a ride along atleast 1 time a month with a different officer to see how they handle different situations. I try to pick the brains of those officers why I am on the ride along to get as much info as possible to help me gain knowledge and experience. Oregon is a go to the acadamy after you are hired. You can't put yourself through the acadamy unless a agency has already picked you up.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement. I don't plan on giving up because I really do want this career path!

Dan

ateamer
10-18-2012, 08:14
Turned in the app and took the written and physical agility in July or August 1988, hired at the start of October, still here for another four to six years. It is the only place I applied. I am 45 and this is only the third job I have ever had.

scottydl
10-18-2012, 08:22
Is there anyone that can give suggestions on what to do to gain more experience?

This is the riddle with no answer, and I remember the frustrations because I dealt with that too. How can you be experienced when no agency will give you the opportunity to get experience? There's no good answer except to keep doing what you're doing, and bring up those things in your interviews. You'll get there!

lawman800
10-18-2012, 08:41
If you really want it, do everything you can to get that foot in the door.

Volunteer as a civilian. Get a job as a civilian dispatcher, clerk, community service officer, parking control, etc. Get on as a reserve. Whatever you got to do. Get in, get to know the players, work your way up.

Don't think that connections and knowing people don't help. Sometimes it's the only advantage you got in a competitive atmosphere.

I know quite a few people who got hired that way back in the early 90's when it was ultra competitive and their connections got them the edge.

scottydl
10-18-2012, 08:52
^^ Good point by lawman, considerable some stepping stone jobs like Dispatcher, Corrections, Probation, etc. You don't necessarily have to tell your interviewers (in those cases) that "I only want this job so it will be easier to become a cop later" ... but you can be honest about your interest in law enforcement overall. Heck you might find out along the way that you really like that "other" job.

Dragoon44
10-18-2012, 08:59
Depends on the area and the dept. whether or not a job is a stepping stone.

In my area every Sheriff ran the same scam, "Come work for me in the Jail and the first road position I have come open I will put you on the road."

It ranked and the Fourth greatest lie after, "The checks in the mail", etc.

RMolina628
10-18-2012, 09:55
My journey is still in process, I had work as a reserve for 10 years, and the Sheriff disbanded the unit due to union disputes. So ended going back to school where I took an internship with the probation office where I made a lot of network connections and after about two months of my internship ending I was offered a part time Probation Officer position with limited duties because I do not have my bachelors degree. At the same time I now a county employee earning time to where if something opens up somewhere else in the county as a full time probation officer I can try to make that move.

GRIMLET
10-18-2012, 10:27
At our hirings, we asked if anyone had a resume. We collected them and promptly threw them away.

Our HR and PD hiring notice stated that only City applications, forms, and Arizona POST background questionnaires were accepted. We considered it part of being able to follow directions.

Read exactly what the hiring agency wants and comply with it.

Darn those pesky rules!!!!!!!

scottydl
10-18-2012, 11:17
Resume's may not help you in an interview, and could be a distraction (the bad kind). I prefer that the interviewers area looking at and listening to ME, and not staring down at the table while reading my resume. If you want to turn in a resume with your application (only if allowed as described above), then fine... although most background packets are detailed enough that a resume just duplicates information.

Also be aware of the differences on what to include in simple resumes (one page, QUICKLY covers the basics, the kind that is preferred more often these days), detailed resumes (several pages, you can cover more details about yourself and your activities), and cover letters. This advice was given to me by a business professional some years ago. I have examples of both if interested, send me a PM.

lwt210
10-18-2012, 11:35
Both PD jobs I interviewed for I got.

I recently sat on a hiring board along with a Lieutenant, a Sergeant, and two other line level officers.

I can attest that several of our applicants that scored ultra high in the Q&A session didn't make the cut. We were amazed at some of the ones they took.

Know that you may have done everything right and still not been selected for reasons they aren't comfortable discussing. Press on.

I can tell you that the few that brought resumes didn't get any "points" for doing so. It was nice to have something to glance at in between applicants but that is about it. I did take note of the style and weight of the paper but I was alone in that. The others on the board didn't know much about resumes.

First impression (dress) was huge. Conservative business attire was key. We didn't think much of the ones who came in with the following:
No socks with high water pants
Muddy work boots
Chest hair showing
Wrinkles
Sunglasses on head/man tiaras
Lanyards hanging off of keys out of pockets
Chewing gum

That sort of nonsense. I was aghast at the overall "dressing down" most applicants showed up wearing. And the price tags and suit coat name brand tags on the left arm that they didn't know to remove or either didn't remove them so that they could return them to JC Penneys ten minutes after the interview.

Look sharp, act sharp, be poised, show confidence in your body language and spoken word, and be honest about who you are and what you want.

Good luck with it. It will come if meant to be.

Ajon412
10-18-2012, 13:16
I applied to the FBI and SS back in the early 1980's and was turned down. (I still have the letters to prove it). Then applied once to my prior department and once to my current department. Sometimes it's all about timing, the economy, politics, luck or any combination thereof.....Just keep at it....

Once? Kee-rist, I wish...

Once as a part-timer, way back when. Once as a full timer the first time. Then I swear to you, I can't even remember how many times I tested, interviewed, etc. for departments in the last 2 years. I KNOW I've put out well over 100 apps and taken probably 35-40 tests, probably more. Interviewed with probably a dozen and a half to 2 dozen agencies or more, but finally got on.

Like several members here have said to me (and you guys know who you are), just keep the faith, man. It'll happen if you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it.

Good luck!

Hey brother, don't forget the countless miles driving back and forth between different States and the lack of sleep that went with it..... I'm just glad it didn't get to the point where you had to ask the interviewer, "What department is this again?"......:rofl::rofl:.....I know it came close.....:whistling:

SCSU74
10-18-2012, 13:20
I keep hearing TX likes Midwest officers. Is that true?

Depends on the PD. I know ours only requires HS diploma, so coming down with a degree helped. That and the fact we hire something like 150 people a year for the academy. It's a great state, just really far away from home

Dragoon44
10-18-2012, 13:52
Depends on the PD. I know ours only requires HS diploma, so coming down with a degree helped. That and the fact we hire something like 150 people a year for the academy. It's a great state, just really far away from home

Did you have to apply for naturalization to become a Texas Citizen?

:supergrin::wavey:

Hack
10-18-2012, 15:37
Did you have to apply for naturalization to become a Texas Citizen?

:supergrin::wavey:

When I lived there I would joke that I had become a naturalized Texan.

And, it was once with each agency.

puckhead
10-18-2012, 16:00
I was kind of the situation Rabbi was in. Applying all over type of thing. Got turned down by a few and didn't finish out others because of a job offer. Actually 2 offers pretty much at the same time. Picked it and went with it. I think a lot of the processes out there weed out some good people. Just keep at it bud!

mikegun
10-18-2012, 16:05
Tested for 1st dept once, hired.....tested for dept two once, hired..........very lucky that way.

lawman800
10-18-2012, 20:09
Depends on the area and the dept. whether or not a job is a stepping stone.

In my area every Sheriff ran the same scam, "Come work for me in the Jail and the first road position I have come open I will put you on the road."

It ranked and the Fourth greatest lie after, "The checks in the mail", etc.

There are some that run that scam, but mostly, around here, you get in a good position they can afford to lose, they will hire you out of it.

Some high need positions like custody assistants, they will not cannibalize to fill the sworn ranks.

However, there are a lot of departments here that hire full time only out of their own reserve corps because the reserves have already proven themselves by finishing field training and fitting in with the crew. Then there are those who will not hire a reserve full time but that is more of the exception down here.

CW Mock
10-18-2012, 21:11
Tried once, hired once. I hope that luck will hold for future attempts.

My initial hire process was an 18 month fiasco. Turns out I guess I'm by far not the only guy on the forum with that impression from the application process, lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

lawman800
10-18-2012, 22:36
The whole LE hiring process could use a massive revamp and there's nothing much that compares in suckage other than the Spanish Inquisition.

Officer X
10-19-2012, 06:08
You turned down the LAPD to stay in NJ?

They didn't give you a psychological exam, did they? :rofl::supergrin::rofl:

Staying on topic, I applied for 4 agencies before I was hired. But 2 of them when I was still in college in my senior year and very close to graduation.

The offers came almost at the same time. The wife's and my entire families are in NJ so that was a big reason in the decision to stay when I got the job offer here. Sometimes I still second guess myself but things have worked out pretty good for me.

Officer X
10-19-2012, 06:16
Both PD jobs I interviewed for I got.

I recently sat on a hiring board along with a Lieutenant, a Sergeant, and two other line level officers.

I can attest that several of our applicants that scored ultra high in the Q&A session didn't make the cut. We were amazed at some of the ones they took.

Know that you may have done everything right and still not been selected for reasons they aren't comfortable discussing. Press on.

I can tell you that the few that brought resumes didn't get any "points" for doing so. It was nice to have something to glance at in between applicants but that is about it. I did take note of the style and weight of the paper but I was alone in that. The others on the board didn't know much about resumes.

First impression (dress) was huge. Conservative business attire was key. We didn't think much of the ones who came in with the following:
No socks with high water pants
Muddy work boots
Chest hair showing
Wrinkles
Sunglasses on head/man tiaras
Lanyards hanging off of keys out of pockets
Chewing gum

That sort of nonsense. I was aghast at the overall "dressing down" most applicants showed up wearing. And the price tags and suit coat name brand tags on the left arm that they didn't know to remove or either didn't remove them so that they could return them to JC Penneys ten minutes after the interview.

Look sharp, act sharp, be poised, show confidence in your body language and spoken word, and be honest about who you are and what you want.

Good luck with it. It will come if meant to be.

+1

Wear a suit anytime you have to step foot inside the department during the hiring process. We had applicants coming in to drop off their completed applications wearing sweats and a t shirt, they were remembered.

ChrisYZFR1
10-19-2012, 06:24
First time. I applied at 3 agencies and got a job offer from 2 on the same day. I am still at my first choice. I got lucky.

lwt210
10-19-2012, 06:31
One other thing we looked at was the polish on the shoes. The few that did actually wear a nice suit all of our eyes immediately went to their shoes.

I rarely polish my boots but while I was on that board (three weeks) I had a spit shine on my Magnums. I also pressed/starched my uniforms and all that jazz.

I expected each candidate to do the same.

One guy did get a rating of 10 across the board for appearance. He had a dark blue suit, conservative tie, no facial hair, close hair cut.....and his black shoes were gleaming. We could tell that it was Kiwi and water and not some Leather Luster thrown on at the last minute.

That little stuff matters so much more than a pretty resume.

golls17
10-19-2012, 08:17
One thing I heard from an academy instructor was to make sure you wear a flag lapel pin. The next day in class somebody brought in a bag of about 30 they bought in bulk and was selling them to classmates for $1. Then again, that same instructor said bring copies of your resume to interviews. After reading some posts here, I'm wondering why I keep wasting paper and ink.

I don't know if it really matters or not in an interview, but I was wearing one any time I wear a suit before it was considered "standard patriotism" or common after people needed to feel more patriotic after 9-11, so I'll keep doing it.

Oh, to the OP, make sure you know EVERYTHING about the jurisdiction when you interview. Streets, borders, demographics, populations, weather patterns, town drunk's name, the 2nd grade teacher's favorite lesson plan, train schedule, and pee-wee football regional championships. I had an interview that I forgot the chief's name for a second (remembered after a second of thought, but it was obvious I was drawing a blank for a second). Needless to say I didn't get called back to that one. Generally I like to at least know main roads that go through, and if I get a chance, I drive around the area for a while before hand to get a better feel for the area. That helps my interviews a lot.

lawman800
10-19-2012, 08:33
Or just make connections and get to know people who make decisions. That makes life easier.

msu_grad_121
10-19-2012, 08:44
One guy did get a rating of 10 across the board for appearance. He had a dark blue suit, conservative tie, no facial hair, close hair cut.....and his black shoes were gleaming. We could tell that it was Kiwi and water and not some Leather Luster thrown on at the last minute.

So that begs the question as to whether the guy got it or not.

I had to laugh when at the test I took for my current department, the kid (and he was, too) sittinf next to me said when he interviews, he shows up in jeans because "this is who I am, and they deserve to me as I am." Needless to say, he's not a coworker. Really wish I could run into him now, but that'd be eeeeeeevil. :rofl:

lawman800
10-19-2012, 08:53

I had to laugh when at the test I took for my current department, the kid (and he was, too) sittinf next to me said when he interviews, he shows up in jeans because "this is who I am, and they deserve to me as I am." Needless to say, he's not a coworker. Really wish I could run into him now, but that'd be eeeeeeevil. :rofl:

Just go to your local Wal-Mart or fast food drive through and ask how is the real him working out in their uniform instead.:whistling:

Ajon412
10-19-2012, 09:30

Ahhhhh.....Some people just don't get it and they never will....:dunno:

scottydl
10-19-2012, 11:15
Oh, to the OP, make sure you know EVERYTHING about the jurisdiction when you interview.

Ah another good one. Chief's name especially, and any mission statements, strategic plans, or community efforts that the department is involved in. That stuff is usually found on department websites and publications. During both interviews for my current department, I had the opportunity to quote parts of the Chief's 3-year Strategic Plan in answering my questions. The interviewers about fell out of their chairs in both cases, and in the Chief's interview he said "most of my guys don't even know that stuff!" It definitely helped me out.

lawman800
10-19-2012, 11:27
Ah another good one. Chief's name especially, and any mission statements, strategic plans, or community efforts that the department is involved in. That stuff is usually found on department websites and publications. During both interviews for my current department, I had the opportunity to quote parts of the Chief's 3-year Strategic Plan in answering my questions. The interviewers about fell out of their chairs in both cases, and in the Chief's interview he said "most of my guys don't even know that stuff!" It definitely helped me out.

Definitely know the Chief's name, especially if he's sitting in the interview. Know the programs that the department is known for, if they have a trademark program or are very successful implementing some common program.

However, if you know too much and give me all the textbook answers to perfection, it will put me off like you aren't sincere but trying too hard to impress me with book answers.

I'm not looking for someone who can memorize and regurgitate facts. I'm looking to get to know you, as a person.

Look, the truth is, the interview gives me 20-30 minutes to decide on something that can impact the rest of your life, do you want to recite a website or do you want to sell me about how much of an asset you can be to my organization?

scottydl
10-19-2012, 11:31
"Weaving" the good stuff in with a normal, comfortable, conversational tone is definitely key. Effective interviewing is a lot like public speaking, and comes with practice just like anything else.

In LEO training seminars, there are two types of instructors. One kind sits there and reads every part of a Powerpoint presentation as they click through the slides. The other generally uses limited or no visual aids, and can keep your attention for hours just based on their knowledge and enthusiasm for the topic. I know which one I prefer listening to!

lawman800
10-19-2012, 11:48
Yep. Working in your knowledge of us while telling me how that fits with who you are is good. Trying to hard to fit in facts about us everywhere even when it didn't relate to the question is not. I had a few people come into interviews who just basically tried to turn everything into a recital about how much they knows about us... I wish them well in their current endeavors, wherever they may be.

lopak
10-19-2012, 12:36
One try, but no clue as to comparative hiring climates - historically and geographically.

The board interview was similar to board interviews I had in the military.

My best friend had gone through the process a couple of years before and walked me through what to expect. No real surprises, but I was not complacent --- definitely amped up and on my A game for the interview...

The board had all my information at their fingertips and had some questions specific to it. In my case, I was prior service military in a unit known for its esprit de corps and had tested high (#2 out of ~200?) in the written. I had the advantage of talking about positive things beyond the standard, "Why do you want to be a Police Officer?", while my buddy got to explain his record of speeding tickets.

I adhered to military grooming standards and dressed for success. I was in great physical shape.

CBennett
10-19-2012, 16:32
One got it but it was with a small town Dept...nice foot in the door but 2 years later they fired all the full time guys except 1 and the Chief and offered to make the rest of us "full time part time"(offered in writing between 32-37 hours a week but no benefits(thats why they fired us all in the first place so they could hire part timers and pay them no bennies...All of us but 1 guy told them to take a hike on that one..then I interviewed with the BOP 1 time and got that job on the first one also..and a $15K a year raise to boot :). Id sooner have stayed in Police work but everythings worked out well in the end..well so far at least :)

Patchman
10-19-2012, 17:07
Three agencies. Just understand it's not an easy process. I really believe that part of the process is the unspoken but intentional frustration all agencies put their candidates through just to see how badly the candidates really want to get hired!

lwt210
10-19-2012, 18:27

We had one like that. When asked what he had done to prepare for today's interview, he said something along these lines:

"Well, several of your officers told me to buy a suit and tie but, hell, that ain't me.....and, shoot, I didn't want y'all to get the wrong impression."

I thought to myself "No Sparky, I think we have you figured out now."

I almost thought it was a joke but soon realized he was serious as a heart attack.

South Fla
10-19-2012, 22:28
The offers came almost at the same time. The wife's and my entire families are in NJ so that was a big reason in the decision to stay when I got the job offer here. Sometimes I still second guess myself but things have worked out pretty good for me.

As long as it worked out and everybody's happy, it's all good. :thumbsup:

4teecal
10-21-2012, 00:28
I turned my department down the first time and got asked again three months later. I feel special.

lawman800
10-21-2012, 02:03
I turned my department down the first time and got asked again three months later. I feel special.

Don't you guys only have ONE department though?:whistling:

Hack
10-21-2012, 03:05
One got it but it was with a small town Dept...nice foot in the door but 2 years later they fired all the full time guys except 1 and the Chief and offered to make the rest of us "full time part time"(offered in writing between 32-37 hours a week but no benefits(thats why they fired us all in the first place so they could hire part timers and pay them no bennies...All of us but 1 guy told them to take a hike on that one..then I interviewed with the BOP 1 time and got that job on the first one also..and a $15K a year raise to boot :). Id sooner have stayed in Police work but everythings worked out well in the end..well so far at least :)

So, how long until retirement now?

4949shooter
10-21-2012, 05:18
Like Ajon and the others said, just keep trying. It took me three years and three applications to get hired by my agency. In the meantime I was able to finish school.

Persistence.

Dragoon44
10-21-2012, 08:37
Like Ajon and the others said, just keep trying. It took me three years and three applications to get hired by my agency. In the meantime I was able to finish school.

Persistence.

Yeah but isn't the reason it took you so long was having to round up the documentation proving your pure Aryan ancestry?

:tongueout::wavey::rofl:

lawman800
10-21-2012, 11:52
So, how long until retirement now?

Too long.

lawman800
10-21-2012, 11:54
Yeah but isn't the reason it took you so long was having to round up the documentation proving your pure Aryan ancestry?

I think he had to trace all the way back to the medieval times to the Teutonic knights to prove pure Germanic blood if he wanted to be in the SS. The other stuff was easier.

Heck, by the end of the war, the Waffen-SS took Nordics, Slavs and all other sorts of Eastern Europeans, including Bulgarians.

4949shooter
10-21-2012, 14:20

I think he had to trace all the way back to the medieval times to the Teutonic knights to prove pure Germanic blood if he wanted to be in the SS. The other stuff was easier.

Heck, by the end of the war, the Waffen-SS took Nordics, Slavs and all other sorts of Eastern Europeans, including Bulgarians.

They even took Italians. How else do you think I got on??

:tongueout: :rofl:

DaBigBR
10-21-2012, 14:57

Okay, NOW I'm confused!

rockapede
10-21-2012, 15:17
I'm pretty sure I've posted this on here before, but one guy showed up to an oral board at my agency not to long ago in a nicely tailored suit....with black Crocs on his feet.

Patchman
10-21-2012, 16:56

Well, nobody has ever called me a White devil. :whistling:

lawman800
10-21-2012, 20:15
Well, nobody has ever called me a White devil. :whistling:

Most people just call me the devil, no race involved.

4teecal
10-21-2012, 22:18
Don't you guys only have ONE department though?:whistling:
..................Now I dont feel so special.

Annhl8rX
10-22-2012, 01:02
When I first graduated college, I applied at every decent sized agency within 50 miles. Nobody would touch me because of a bunch of speeding tickets I had gotten (and was still in the process of getting).

I got a non police full time job and a radar detector. After a year and a half with no tickets, I started applying again. I was hired by the first agency I tested for.

DustyJacket
10-22-2012, 01:55
One time each department/agency

rockapede
10-22-2012, 08:10
When I first graduated college, I applied at every decent sized agency within 50 miles. Nobody would touch me because of a bunch of speeding tickets I had gotten (and was still in the process of getting).

I got a non police full time job and a radar detector. After a year and a half with no tickets, I started applying again. I was hired by the first agency I tested for.

Not to bust your balls (too much), but you needed a radar detector to avoid speeding tickets? There's a cheaper way, you know :tongueout:

Annhl8rX
10-23-2012, 03:28
Not to bust your balls (too much), but you needed a radar detector to avoid speeding tickets? There's a cheaper way, you know :tongueout:

Yeah...I hadn't figured that out at the time, though.