Costa Concordia - Why not float it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Costa Concordia - Why not float it?

mhill
10-17-2012, 08:38
Just saw the process that they are working on for getting the Costa Concordia off the coast of that island.

They said they are spending 400 million to get it floated to a spot to scrap it. They said it's worth 80 million in scrap.

I can't figure out why they didn't patch the hole and then float it with a billion air bags and a bunch of pumps. Seems like it could have been done pretty cheaply with that process.

Give me 300 million and I'd have it done in a couple of months.

RenoF250
10-17-2012, 09:12
Just saw the process that they are working on for getting the Costa Concordia off the coast of that island.

They said they are spending 400 million to get it floated to a spot to scrap it. They said it's worth 80 million in scrap.

I can't figure out why they didn't patch the hole and then float it with a billion air bags and a bunch of pumps. Seems like it could have been done pretty cheaply with that process.

I agree, not a small job but it does not seem that hard. I will do it for $200M.

PBCounty
10-17-2012, 09:35
A few hundred grand, a **** load of beer and 15 Loxahatchee rednecks will have that thing floating in a month.

Dennis in MA
10-17-2012, 09:48
Ok, Dirk Pitt. (LOL - I just reread that book last week.)

Atlas
10-17-2012, 09:55

Have lot of experience as a marine architect working in maritime salvage, do you?

mhill
10-17-2012, 09:57
I've floated a few boats in my time. This is just a larger scale. :)

Dubble-Tapper
10-17-2012, 09:57
easier said than done. its wedged between two granite shelves, is half full o' water and debris, and is 300 meters long. the ponson floats are huge! its no easy task.

GD2J
10-17-2012, 10:06
Mythbusters floated a (albeit a much smaller) boat by filling it with ping pong balls. No exterior floats needed.

TK-421
10-17-2012, 10:13
Seal the hull, pump out the water, flood it with ping pong balls. Get them from China and I bet you can get them pretty cheap. Only problem then is what do you do with the ping pong balls when you're done? I think send them back to the company and let them repackage them and sell them twice then.

oceanwarrior
10-17-2012, 11:12
Floating it is the first problem.
Second problem is to get it to run again.

Most likely,the engine(s) and generator sets will need replacement or complete overhaul,all submerged wiring will need to be replaced.

Big cruise ships are built from bottom up or in modules so getting to the main engines will mean cutting the ship open to gain acess.
In this case the whole top above the engine room will have to be removed or this ship will be split open at the rear third section.

Repair costs when salvage cost is included may exceed ship value,hence the decision to scrap it.

And,who wants to sail on a ship that has sunk once before?

oceanwarrior

SC Tiger
10-17-2012, 11:30
Floating it is the first problem.
Second problem is to get it to run again.

Most likely,the engine(s) and generator sets will need replacement or complete overhaul,all submerged wiring will need to be replaced.

Big cruise ships are built from bottom up or in modules so getting to the main engines will mean cutting the ship open to gain acess.
In this case the whole top above the engine room will have to be removed or this ship will be split open at the rear third section.

Repair costs when salvage cost is included may exceed ship value,hence the decision to scrap it.

And,who wants to sail on a ship that has sunk once before?

oceanwarrior

I think the OP's idea is to float it up and tow it to a place to salvage it, not get it working again.

TucsonGlocker
10-18-2012, 09:37
A few hundred grand, a **** load of beer and 15 Loxahatchee rednecks will have that thing floating in a month.

:rofl:

It must be recorded and turned into a TV show though.. Talk about pure entertainment value! :supergrin: