Marine Corps IED detector dogs for adoption [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps IED detector dogs for adoption

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 09:59
This email was sent to me by Special Operations Warrior Foundation. They helped fund me in college and can easily be verified with the following info. Sorry this is so long (cut and paste) please see bottom for email.

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13483
Tampa, FL 33681-3483
Physical Location:
4409 El Prado Blvd
Tampa, FL 33629
Phone Numbers:
(813) 805-9400
(813) 805-0640
(813) 839-4059
Toll Free:
(877) 337-7693
Fax:
(813) 805-0567
Tax ID#
52-1183585
CFC#
Email is as follows.

Marine Corps Decommissioned IED Detector Dogs

The Marine Corps has around 400 IED (Improvised Explosive Device) sniffing dogs that are being decommissioned & need forever homes/families. Most of the dogs are breeds such as: Labradors, Belgian Malinois, Border Collies, German Shepherds & Rottweiler. The dogs are all incredibly well-trained. Many have served in war zones and are responsible for saving countless American, NATO and foreign lives. The dogs are in the District of Columbia (D.C.). Adoptive families must be able to travel to DC to pick up the dogs or arrange transport at their own expense. Please help these war heroes get the lives they deserve.
The POC for interested adoptive families is:

Brian D. Miller
PM IED Detector Dog Program Marine Corps Systems Command

910-652-3645 Ext-321
brian.d.miller7@usmc.mil

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TK-421
10-17-2012, 10:06
Aww, I'd love to have an IED Rottie, too bad I don't have my own place and can't have a dog. :steamed:

I really help every single dog goes to a loving, caring home.

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 10:08
If I wasn't maxed on pets I would take a Shepherd in a heartbeat. Come on guys lets help these dogs out.

airmotive
10-17-2012, 10:12
That poor dog would alert every time I had Taco Bell for lunch...I just couldn't do that to an animal.

tsmo1066
10-17-2012, 10:15
I'm going to email about this today. I'd love to take in a retired IED dog...I just need to make sure it won't eat my wife's two Chihuahuas!

sappy13
10-17-2012, 10:19
I would love to have a dog like that. I thought there were really long, like multiple year, waiting lists for decommissioned military dogs

TK-421
10-17-2012, 10:27
I would love to have a dog like that. I thought there were really long, like multiple year, waiting lists for decommissioned military dogs

Call them up and find out, who knows, maybe you can get to the head of the list by giving them a call and letting them know you're interested.

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 10:29
Let me clarify, I do not know if being a member of SOWF keeps you from having to be on a waiting list. I have not spoken to him personally so there may be a list. Just shoot him an email or call him and he will tell you.

OctoberRust
10-17-2012, 10:32
OMG THEY USED ROTTWEILERS? :wow:

How did these soldiers not get mauled constantly like the media tells me in the news daily?! Everyone says it's the breed and not the training. :wow::wow:

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 10:35

How did these soldiers not get mauled constantly like the media tells me in the news daily?! Everyone says it's the breed and not the training. :wow::wow:

Don't you know that most of the US causalities were caused by the IED rotties? You can't train a killer 😫 sheesh..

TK-421
10-17-2012, 10:39

No, those aren't Rotties, those are Pit Bulls. Geeze man, learn to pay attention to the news, the media switched from bashing on Rotties to bashing on Pit Bulls a while ago. :tongueout:

The Fist Of Goodness
10-17-2012, 10:39
I saw this on another Special Operations board. One member looked into it, and the response was that the offer is for law enforcement agencies only.

W420Hunter
10-17-2012, 10:42
Thanks for the post I may just look into this myself, have been wanting a dog.

OctoberRust
10-17-2012, 10:45
:supergrin:No, those aren't Rotties, those are Pit Bulls. Geeze man, learn to pay attention to the news, the media switched from bashing on Rotties to bashing on Pit Bulls a while ago. :tongueout:

Well you know, Rottweilers are like the AR-15 of dogs. They're still "evil" even though the media misnames them "pitbulls"

Sort of like how the media calls AR-15s AK-47s. :supergrin:

skew12
10-17-2012, 10:50
Now that's pretty cool!

USAF96815
10-17-2012, 18:56
It's a hoax.

http://www.stripes.com/marine-corps-email-on-adopting-bomb-sniffing-dogs-is-a-hoax-1.193433

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:05
It's a hoax.

http://www.stripes.com/marine-corps-email-on-adopting-bomb-sniffing-dogs-is-a-hoax-1.193433

If it was a joke it was in very poor taste. If it was a scheme to make money off the blood and sweat of vets in anyway, well may they rot in hell for doing so.

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 19:24
Guys it was forwarded to me by a group of people that I trust very much. They are a four star charity and if it is a hoax their site was compromised. I will call them tomorrow and post the result. Has anyone else contacted the guy at the bottom of the email?

Edit: I read the link. I sincerely apologize for posting it without verifying it. My biological father was a Green Beret(KIA Feb 93) and I would never intentionally post something that is trying to scam or victimize our service men and women. I will call SOWF and email them the link in the AM.

USAF96815
10-17-2012, 19:32
Your post

Its been posted everywhere on the 'net. Some variations have LTC (R) West and others making comments about the program then giving a USMC email address to respond to if you're interested.

Said email address isn't real and bounces around all over the place to the point that DOD IT folks aren't happy now since it was a .mil address being used.

Sucks that someone did something like this and I hope that the folks looking into this (and they are) will smack them upside the head and charge them accordingly if there is enough to prove something illegal such as the using of a .mil address when not authorized.

nikerret
10-17-2012, 19:38
Damn, that's low. I was hoping to have a new dog.

janice6
10-17-2012, 19:40
No, those aren't Rotties, those are Pit Bulls. Geeze man, learn to pay attention to the news, the media switched from bashing on Rotties to bashing on Pit Bulls a while ago. :tongueout:

I, and my avatar, are/been friends with two Rotties (80 lbs each) for many years now.

They are the most lovable, sweetest dogs I have ever had the pleasure to know. They both are so gentle when they play with my little Yorkie it is astounding.

They make allowance for his size, and play extremely gentle with him. They don't even catch him when they play chase.

They would be a blessing to any family.

8-Ball
10-17-2012, 19:43
Guys it was forwarded to me by a group of people that I trust very much. They are a four star charity and if it is a hoax their site was compromised. I will call them tomorrow and post the result. Has anyone else contacted the guy at the bottom of the email?

Edit: I read the link. I sincerely apologize for posting it without verifying it. My biological father was a Green Beret(KIA Feb 93) and I would never intentionally post something that is trying to scam or victimize our service men and women. I will call SOWF and email them the link in the AM.

Mistakes happen. No biggie. I wish it was real though!

I'm sorry to hear about your father. He is a patriot and may he rest in peace.

TK-421
10-17-2012, 20:13
I, and my avatar, are/been friends with two Rotties (80 lbs each) for many years now.

They are the most lovable, sweetest dogs I have ever had the pleasure to know. They both are so gentle when they play with my little Yorkie it is astounding.

They make allowance for his size, and play extremely gentle with him. They don't even catch him when they play chase.

They would be a blessing to any family.

Oh absolutely, Rotties and Pit Bulls are both awesome breeds of dogs, and they get a huge bad rap because people use them as fighting dogs. When, in reality, people used to have Pit Bulls because they made great baby sitters for infants. I'd be more than happy to have both a Rottie and a Pit, and probably will, once I get my own place.

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 20:20

You had good intentions so no foul on your part. You are not at fault. No bad will towards you at all. :wavey:

deadmanglocking
10-18-2012, 09:06
Received this today.

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:50 PM
To: ******* *****
Cc: Lisa Nantz
Subject: CORRECTION: Decommisioned Military Dogs for Adoption

Families,

I am so sorry for the inconvenience, or if you got excited like I did.
Please see below from the command:

FYSA - I called this number below. This is not valid, there are no dogs available to adopt. Some misinterpreted email from inside the Pentagon got a lot of people spun up. What is happening - there are about 10 dogs that are being offered up as an "inter-service" transfer to other qualified DoD active duty mil handlers.

Again my apologies,

Melinda