Sig P220 Carry failure.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 Carry failure..

MLittle
10-17-2012, 14:09
I sure was surprised at the range last week. I purchased a new Sig P220 Carry Gen2 SAS and had put 300 rounds of ball through it over the past month or so. Last week I shot 100 rounds of 230 gr hardball, then followed with 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot (also 230gr). I had 4 failures to go into battery. Didn't take much to nudge the slide forward, but it surprised me.... I have an older Sig P220 that has over 5,000 rounds through it and it has had 0 malfunctions from the very first day. Maybe I expected too much, but I thought I'd have the same experience with my new pistol.

cowboy1964
10-17-2012, 16:37
Annoying, isn't it? I had a problem with 230 gr Gold Dots in my M&P 45c and it wasn't major (last round would fail to feed when hand cycling) but it was enough to shake my confidence so I switched to 230 gr HSTs.

Gary1911A1
10-18-2012, 08:43
Sigs have tight chambers and if the ammo was a little out of spec and your chamber was tighter than usual that could be the problem.

series1811
10-18-2012, 08:54
I had a Sig 220 that did the exact same thing for about 400 to 500 rounds, but only when firing Federal 230 g. Hydro-Shoks (our issue ammo). We had lots of Remington 230 g. Golden Sabres (our previous duty ammo) lying around, and it would feed it flawlessly. It shot FMJ perfect from the get go.

The good news is that once I got through the break in rounds, it started acting like a Sig is supposed to and handled everything (including some awful "green" practice ammo that was absolute crap) without a hickup. :supergrin:

MikeNH
10-26-2012, 12:54
I had the same issue with a P220 Carry I got in 2009, never was able to have it work right even after it going back once. Ended up being traded which was sad cause I loved how it shot. My next purchase at the end of the year most likely will be one of these in SAO configuration or a HK45c with the LEM trigger.

Bigbaby987
10-31-2012, 17:40
I have to raise my hand here also. I have a P220 Carry SAO. At first, I hated that pistol with a passion. FTE after FTE. It was frustrating. I actually picked it up for an incredible price and thought I had "gotten over". For a month or so, it jammed and just about everything else you could imagine, then one wonderful day, it got broken in. It has been flawless ever since. In fact, it has probably become my favorite pistol to date. This comes from having 3 other Sigs including one 1911. I would suggest to give it a little time to get it broken in. I will say though that I found that Federal white box is like kryptonite for my 220. Doesn't like and won't stand for it; pretty much like I hate beans. So, keep in mind if it is a certain ammo, and if that's not the case; make sure to break it in really well. Have fun and I'm sure you'll hit that sweet spot.

AWMP
11-28-2012, 10:49
Any other input on the Sig 220 Carry? I'm looking at getting one. thanks

MikeNH
11-30-2012, 17:10
I just ordered another SAO version from Bud's- one only they have that also has the SAS melt/carry job on the slide and frame. I heard a lot of the feed issues were related to the internal extractor, the new ones are external so I figured I'd give it another chance. Plus $700 for a new P220 is a good deal. :lol:

Bigbaby987
11-30-2012, 17:46
Awesome! I absolutely love my 220. It is my favorite out of all my other pistols. It is my most reliable out of all of them including my Glock 19.

AWMP
11-30-2012, 20:28
I just purchased a Sig 220 DAK Carry with night sights, should be here next week, time will tell but from others I have talked to that own the same pistol they have had zero issues.

The Buds SAO is a great deal, sweet looking pistol, curious how you like it.

Bigbaby987
11-30-2012, 20:49
I picked up my SAO at Cabela's for $529 new. It took so long for it to get broken that I thought I got taken. Fortunately it was just a break in period and has become my absolute favorite. Just be patient with it in the beginning.

Pier23
12-03-2012, 17:20
Not to jijack the thread, but I got a new Kahr 9 mm which I loved and cursed for 700 rounds...then, during one session, it all came together and functioned perfectly...and has continued to do so.

Breakin for weapons at this price point should NOT be necessary...but it is... <sigh>

spcwes
12-04-2012, 08:25
I have two of my buddies (they are causing me to buy another sig) that have the 220C one DAK and one SAS with no issues at all. The first 200rds or so they put through them were 230gr Gold Dot hollow points with no issues what so ever. Not sure what to tell you but all guns have issues from time to time. I have I think 6 sigs at the moment with thousands of rounds through and not a single one ever required a break in period.

2740dmx
12-04-2012, 20:25
I have a 220 Compact, which has the same slide and barrel as the Carry model....

Mine is US/Exeter made, and has been FLAWLESS through 600 rounds now....

NO FTF/FTE, no errant brass ejection, to failure to return to battery, NO NO NO problems.

Buy a 220 Carry with confidence!
Yes, some people experience problems, but the odds are great that you will find yourself with an excellent firearm.

mgentry
12-05-2012, 06:36
I have found that most pistols have an ammo it doesn't like. You have found the ammo your P220 doesn't like early so don't use it. That is one reason you shoot the ammo you intend to use so you won't be surprised if you ever need it

MikeNH
12-08-2012, 16:24
Just an update for anyone who is curious, I got the P220 Carry SAO/SAS G2 (thank goodness it doesn't say all that on the slide!) this morning and hit the range with it this afternoon. Ran about 200 rounds through it, most of it being the same box of Remington FMJ (250 round mega pack) I bought for my original P220 Carry back in 2009 and that pistol would not feed this stuff reliably at all. Ran all of that ammo as well as probably 30 Winchester WWB and even one mag worth of some Cor-Bon +p JHP I had kicking around and all worked fine.

ca survivor
12-12-2012, 19:02
remember Sigs have to run wet, oil that frame and slide rails good.

ibedanny
12-20-2012, 16:42
remember Sigs have to run wet, oil that frame and slide rails good.

I just picked up my 220 carry SAS da/as. I had no idea they have to run solo wet. I'm so used to my dirty glocks needing minimal oil. Found some gun grease online slip 2000 and will give it a shot. At this time I'm trying to find the holster. Living in Florida makes holster choices limited. Comptac just released a infidel ultra which has the simple one belt loop kydex with a leather backing. They have not released the 220 carry version yet. Any holster suggestions? I want a holser that is easy to put on and take off. Single belt loop etc.

Cobra64
01-10-2013, 18:23
I sure was surprised at the range last week. I purchased a new Sig P220 Carry Gen2 SAS and had put 300 rounds of ball through it over the past month or so. Last week I shot 100 rounds of 230 gr hardball, then followed with 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot (also 230gr). I had 4 failures to go into battery. Didn't take much to nudge the slide forward, but it surprised me.... I have an older Sig P220 that has over 5,000 rounds through it and it has had 0 malfunctions from the very first day. Maybe I expected too much, but I thought I'd have the same experience with my new pistol.

I have five Sigs and never had a failure to feed or lockup with any ammo.

Clean it and put Slide Glide on the rails.