It's not the flu...anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : It's not the flu...anyone?

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 17:25
Been bedridden until today since Monday. All the classic symptoms of the flu..fever up to 103.7f, chills, dry cough, hallucinations and involuntary jerking when temp is over 103.5, excessive sweating(I thought the wife had doused me with water when I woke up). Went to doctor today and swab came back negative for flu... Anyone else been sick lately? Really hoping this isn't west nile as we have had a lot of cases here in DFW. Doc said come back in a week if not better or call him and head to ER if headache or localized back pain starts in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

podwich
10-17-2012, 17:45
Hallucinations, (myoclonic?) jerks, and 103.7 fever? Um...You might want to visit the ER. Now, probably.

podwich
10-17-2012, 17:47
And not kidding about it either.

JerryVO
10-17-2012, 17:48
Not to doubt your doctor as I am not one myself but the same thing happened to me about a month ago and the flu test came back negative BUT my Dr told me that there is a huge false negative rate due to all of the flu variants out there but the false positive rate is low so they still use the test. Here is a quick article about the same thing

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120227204725.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Gregg702
10-17-2012, 17:48
Hallucinations, (myoclonic?) jerks, and 103.7 fever? Um...You might want to visit the ER. Now, probably.

Yup, your doc should have advised this. A high fever is very dangerous.

RenoF250
10-17-2012, 17:59
My wife and daughter recently had about 3 days of ~102 fever. 103+ is getting up there.

RenoF250
10-17-2012, 18:01

Definitely should not be alone with those temps. What are you doing to bring it down? NSAIDs? Cool bath etc?

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 18:04
The 103.7 is rare. If I stay on fever reducers it stays around 102.3ish. Hallucinations are audio. No jerking if below 103. He did say if I experience severe hallucinations or convulsions(not jerking) to ER it immediately. This sucks cause I just found out dad is starting chemo next week and I was supposed to go see him this weekend.

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 18:05
Definitely should not be alone with those temps. What are you doing to bring it down? NSAIDs? Cool bath etc?

Not alone. Alternating Tylenol and Advil every 6 hours and tamiflu.

bigmac85
10-17-2012, 18:05
Ive always thought 103 and above was brain damage territory? :dunno:

Morris
10-17-2012, 18:09
You have the flu. The "tests" have a high false positive rate.

Got my shot today. We're already seeing the start of the season around here.

RenoF250
10-17-2012, 18:24
Ive always thought 103 and above was brain damage territory? :dunno:

No, 104+.

RenoF250
10-17-2012, 18:25

Tylenol sucks, I would stay with Advil. Load up on C and take some zinc as well.

certifiedfunds
10-17-2012, 18:41
It's Lupus

Dalton Wayne
10-17-2012, 19:29
Been bitten by a tick that you know of lately

deadmanglocking
10-17-2012, 19:33
Been bitten by a tick that you know of lately

No not that I know of. Or a flying bloodsucker. The usually don't bite me for some reason. The coughing is the worst. Just can't breathe. Wife watching me and will call medics for ER if I get much worse. Gonna dose up and try to rack out.

Paul53
10-17-2012, 21:57

Just for clarification: taking Tylenol, then Motrin 3 hours later, then Tylenol again in 3 hours? That should help a lot with fever and comfort.

Chills = muscle activity to make heat = fever starting.
Sweating = body cooling itself = fever coming down.

Concur that flu tests are iffy. My own test is a patient with flu like symptoms, looks grey, is sure he's dying and just wants to hurry and get it over with. That's flu, no matter what the lab says.

Hope you're well soon. Keep us informed.

Need to stay away from Dad until your well on your way to feeling good again. Many illnesses spread from person to person, but symptoms can take a few weeks to manifest. Hate to see dad start chemo, then get your symptoms a few weeks later. Sorry about that. Good health to you and Dad.

BEER
10-17-2012, 22:56
jesus man sorry to hear that. hopefully this aint the first case of captain trips.

heal well and heal quick.

tadbart
10-18-2012, 06:03
i'm betting pneumonia.

or water mocassin bite.

hamster
10-18-2012, 06:51
It's Lupus

Its not Lupus, its Dengue

http://www.deviantart.com/download/159785257/Dr_House_Wallpaper_by_cheef232.jpg

Seriously though, if it continues more than a few days you need to go see another doctor.

deadmanglocking
10-18-2012, 07:08
Made it another night. Codeine helped stop the cough so I can breathe. Man between the fever and codeine I had some awesome dreams lol. Might be pulling out of the worst of it. Now for the 2 weeks of hacking..

Mayhem like Me
10-18-2012, 07:27
Zombie Virus / Patient 0?????:wow:

Dennis in MA
10-18-2012, 07:32
103.7 isn't a fever, it's a freakin classic rock station!

Wow!

Glad to hear it's breaking up. Think of all the weight you lost the last 4 days. It's like a diet with none of the work. ;)

deadmanglocking
10-18-2012, 07:33

Told wife to just chain me in the garage if so. Plenty of stray cats around here for me to munch on.

tarpleyg
10-18-2012, 08:26
Told wife to just chain me in the garage if so. Plenty of stray cats around here for me to munch on.

Stray cat brains are like humans eating peanuts. You can't survive on them. Sooner or later you're going to need some real meat. Better have her double up on the chains...LOL

OctoberRust
10-18-2012, 08:29
Been bedridden until today since Monday. All the classic symptoms of the flu..fever up to 103.7f, chills, dry cough, hallucinations and involuntary jerking when temp is over 103.5, excessive sweating(I thought the wife had doused me with water when I woke up). Went to doctor today and swab came back negative for flu... Anyone else been sick lately? Really hoping this isn't west nile as we have had a lot of cases here in DFW. Doc said come back in a week if not better or call him and head to ER if headache or localized back pain starts in.

Yea, sounds like what I had a few months ago. I was literally sick for a month, and BURNED with a fever like you.

I came back negative for both strains of the flu, and my doctor couldn't figure it out. I basically said "meh, gimme drugs" and he did, and off on my way I went.

I'm thinking I contracted west nile, since I do a lot of running on trails, and mosquitoes loveeeeeee me!

Texas357
10-19-2012, 00:46
Weird. What's going around here is a little different: 3-4 days of diarhea and/ir vomiting, sometimes fever on the first day. Symptoms start about 48 hours after exposure. Wearing a surgical mask isn't apparently enough to prevent passing it on. Lots of people have been out a few days within the past two weeks, both where I work and at my wife's employer.

deadmanglocking
10-19-2012, 07:17
Hit high of 103.9 last night but got it down with ice packs. Called doc on cell and he called in a different scrip for the night but the pharm monkeys "couldn't get it off the machine to fill tonight(20 mins till closing). Headed in this morning for blood test/tap for bacterial meningitis and other stuff.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

podwich
10-19-2012, 07:57
Headed in this morning for blood test/tap for bacterial meningitis and other stuff.

That and sepsis is why I was saying to go to the ER in my post 2 days ago. Happily, you are still alive so that's a good sign.

Get well soon! :)

Dennis in MA
10-19-2012, 07:59
Holy poop!

Good luck, dude.

Bilbo Bagins
10-19-2012, 08:10

Damn beat me to it.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22106968.jpg

If it helps any something like that is going around here. A lady I work with, who NEVER calls out sick, came down with something like that. She has been out for 2 days now with uncontrolable chills, fever, coughing, etc.

Dennis in MA
10-19-2012, 08:22
:rofl:

I just realized - that looks like my former business partner. LOL

r3dot
10-19-2012, 08:54
Stay off the fever reducers unless you're really reaching a dangerous point. Your body's way of fighting whatever you have is with the fever (among other things), fighting the fever may only prolong it.

Hope it goes away soon. That can't be fun.

deadmanglocking
10-19-2012, 13:06
Admitted to hospital. Pneumonia, keeping me for a couple days they said. Saline and big boy IV antibiotics and nebulizers. This has been one hell of a diet.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

deadmanglocking
10-19-2012, 13:08
That and sepsis is why I was saying to go to the ER in my post 2 days ago. Happily, you are still alive so that's a good sign.

Get well soon! :)

Yes pod I do have some sepsis, you were right. You in the field? Pretty nurses are already improving my mood..

Glock&KimberLady
10-19-2012, 13:10
Admitted to hospital. Pneumonia, keeping me for a couple days they said. Saline and big boy IV antibiotics and nebulizers. This has been one hell of a diet.

:alex:

May I respectfully request if you ever get this sick again, you don't delay? Or your wife kicks you in the balls and drags you to the ER while you are still incapacitated by her roundhouse to the choners?

Not to be melodramatic, but people die from pneumonia.

GeorgiaGlocker
10-19-2012, 14:44
I know a lady that works for a doctors office and for the last couple of months everyone that comes in states that they have the flu. They do no run the test on everyone because it is so obvious that they are not infected with the flu but they do test many of them. So far all of the tests have come back negative.

For some strange reason many folks want to think they have the flu. A few are mad when they find out they do not have it. :dunno:

deadmanglocking
10-19-2012, 14:50
I know a lady that works for a doctors office and for the last couple of months everyone that comes in states that they have the flu. They do no run the test on everyone because it is so obvious that they are not infected with the flu but they do test many of them. So far all of the tests have come back negative.

For some strange reason many folks want to think they have the flu. A few are mad when they find out they do not have it. :dunno:

In my case I wish I did. Might be winding down around now since I was on tamiflu. Man I hope I go home tomorrow . Feels so weird being here half naked and defenseless in a building this full of people I don't know.

Paul53
10-19-2012, 15:15
"Flu" and "food poisoning" have become generic terms people use coming into the ER. Hardly ever are they correct.

Get well soon brother.

GeorgiaGlocker
10-19-2012, 15:29
In my case I wish I did. Might be winding down around now since I was on tamiflu. Man I hope I go home tomorrow . Feels so weird being here half naked and defenseless in a building this full of people I don't know.

I have had the "flu" once in my life and I never want it again. I can't imagine anyone wanting the flu. I was bedridden for a full week and it took two weeks to regain my full strength back again.

deadmanglocking
10-19-2012, 17:14
I have been bedridden a week. Looking at another one maybe depending on response to treatment. That's why I wish it was the flu. Might almost be over it. At least amc fearfest is on the tv. If they would hurry up with breathing treatments I'd be better.

nursetim
10-19-2012, 18:00
Do you have access to a hippy dippy food store or somewhere to get wheatgrass juice? 2 Ozs a day may very well help. Drink it fresh though, not more than 15 mins old. Hope you heal quickly. I really think the wheatgrass juice will help.

3rdgen40
10-19-2012, 21:01
Guess you picked a good username...:supergrin:

Seriously though,hope you get well soon.:wavey:

cmb19
10-19-2012, 21:26
Imagine that...I was just about to post, "sounds like me when I had pneumonia."

If you haven't seen my posts before, I damn near died. Not exaggerating. I'm glad that you're in the hospital now.

mike from st pe
10-20-2012, 12:39
Sounds like you got the Spinal Moaning Jesus.

VinnieD
10-20-2012, 12:46
Have you noticed a man in a suit following you? Perhaps you can't quite make out his face, and he appears unusually thin? Are you having trouble with video equipment? Are you losing time?

deadmanglocking
10-21-2012, 19:42
Blah. Home finally. Tired and weak but alive.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

Paul53
10-21-2012, 20:02
Hope you're well soon.

concretefuzzynuts
10-21-2012, 20:09
Did you hallucinate a very large Texan man burning?

deadmanglocking
10-21-2012, 20:12
You know, if I had been admitted 1 day earlier I would have had a beautiful view of it from my hospital bed.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

deadmanglocking
10-21-2012, 20:14
Although I did have a good one about being in a tank floating around the ocean. We were firing at a 18th century French battleship. Unno..

concretefuzzynuts
10-21-2012, 20:16
At least your fever didn't wipe out your sense of humor. Lighten up on the other thread, humor heals.

deadmanglocking
10-21-2012, 20:20
At least your fever didn't wipe out your sense of humor. Lighten up on the other thread, humor heals.

Ehh just hit a nerve over there. I'm thick skinned when it comes to ribbing but I really dislike rudeness. Threads dead as far as I'm concerned.

NeverMore1701
10-21-2012, 20:32
In all seriousness, I hope you feel better soon.

deadmanglocking
10-21-2012, 20:36
In all seriousness, I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you. Might take me a little longer to get over Big Tex burning but I'll probably recover from both. 😂

NeverMore1701
10-21-2012, 20:38
:cheers:

Travelin' Jack
10-21-2012, 20:41

I had those exact symptoms for a week several years back. Fever got up to 104.5 and I went to the hospital, they mis-diagnosed me with pneumonia and sent me home. Turns out I had mono. The flu-ish symptoms went away shortly after and I slept for a month. Fortunately my job was very understanding.

deadmanglocking
10-21-2012, 20:46
I had those exact symptoms for a week several years back. Fever got up to 104.5 and I went to the hospital, they mis-diagnosed me with pneumonia and sent me home. Turns out I had mono. The flu-ish symptoms went away shortly after and I slept for a month. Fortunately my job was very understanding.

Same thing happened when I was 14. Mono laid me up for a month. I didn't know it was possible to feel that tired and drained for that long. It didn't matter if I slept 20 hours a day, I still was exhausted when I woke up. It took me years to gain all the weight I lost back.

NH Trucker
10-21-2012, 20:55
Thank you. Might take me a little longer to get over Big Tex burning but I'll probably recover from both. 😂

Big Tex must have had one hell of a fever. Now THAT's burning up! :whistling:

:tongueout:

Glad you're feeling better. Most of us have to pay to have those kinds of hallucinations :supergrin:

m2hmghb
10-21-2012, 23:19
Glad you're doing better. Do not overdo it at all for the next month or so, you'll regret it if you do. You also might want to look into the pneumovax vaccine. Since you were on antibiotics I take it it was a bacterial pneumonia.

m2hmghb
10-21-2012, 23:20
I have had the "flu" once in my life and I never want it again. I can't imagine anyone wanting the flu. I was bedridden for a full week and it took two weeks to regain my full strength back again.

I have had influenza before, went up to around 102.5 with tylenol. I actually often wish I was that sick. chronic fatigue syndrome sucks.

tadbart
10-22-2012, 05:40
<-- called the diagnosis in Post #19.
<-- shoulda gone to doctorin' school.

feel better, man.

HYDRATE. drink till you feel like you'll float away.
deep breathe and cough during every commercial break while watching TV.