What's your favorite hair metal band??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite hair metal band???

w30olds
10-17-2012, 18:42
Mine is Guns-N-Roses. Loved that band.

Ragnar
10-17-2012, 18:45
I would not call GNR hair metal. Poison, Ratt, yeah. But GNR was more about music than glam.

Resqu2
10-17-2012, 18:49
Motley Cre, Poison, Def Leppard. Loved em all really, they quit making music after the 80ties.

HOTHEAD
THE CRUE:rock:

costanza187
Motley Crue :music:

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 18:50
Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister. Not because they were the best but because they had the anthems of my early youth.

Scorpions where probably the "best" band of that genre and era.

w30olds
10-17-2012, 18:51
I would not call GNR hair metal. Poison, Ratt, yeah. But GNR was more about music than glam.

Well I kinda could see that. They were not really a "glam" band

costanza187
10-17-2012, 18:56
I will admit I am a sucker for that kind of music. It is just good fun stuff, looking through my playlist of that era: Ratt, Poison, Warrant, Quiet Riot, Bon Jovi and Whitesnake were some of the standouts.

I remember Def Leppard (if they are considered "Hair Metal") was in my opinion a notch above those other bands.

However, Motley Crue epitomized the whole scene, and just ruled.

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 18:57

GNR were Hair Metal poster children...

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/AxlRoseTeasedHair.jpg

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/brittanyhagerty/default/top-20-best-80s-hair--large-msg-133779629628.jpg

Johnspark
10-17-2012, 18:59
Cinderella FTW!

http://youtu.be/6j7E7pvLxmI

10-17-2012, 19:04
Twisted Sister

10mm Sonny
10-17-2012, 19:06
Mine is Guns-N-Roses. Loved that band.

Name the original lead guitarist.

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:06
80s bands, easy Iron Maiden victory. :)

But I still have a soft spot for bands like, Crue, Ratt, Scorpions etc......fond memories of the 80s....

1985 (I was at the Houston show that tour, 7th row on the floor. Could not hear for 2 days. I think I was stoned for at least 1 day just off the residue smoke at the show)

Iron Maiden - Aces High (Live After Death) [HD] - YouTube

Iron Maiden - Aces High (Flight 666) [HD] - YouTube

Freaking staying power baby! Steve Harris is the most badass rock bass player in history. And a song about shooting vile Nazi scumbags out of the sky during the battle of Britain....sweet. :)

Altaris
10-17-2012, 19:07
Lots of good ones posted already. Loved Poison, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, and Twisted Sister

Not sure if they are considered a hair metal band, but I loved Skid Row too....

Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild (music video) HQ - YouTube

costanza187
10-17-2012, 19:09
Although Guns N Roses does in fact seem to be classified as a glam metal band, they seemed a little "different" than the ones I listened to. Living through the era, it seemed like some of us wore Def Leppard/Poison/Motley Crue t-shirts... and the GNR fans didn't hang out with us, they had their own group.

PS...I was reading through the list of glam metal bands.
Anybody remember Britney Fox or White Lion?
I had forgotten about them! :rofl:

ithaca_deerslayer
10-17-2012, 19:10
Metallica

Johnspark
10-17-2012, 19:13
80s bands, easy Iron Maiden victory. :)

But I still have a soft spot for bands like, Crue, Ratt, Scorpions etc......fond memories of the 80s....

1985 (I was at the Houston show that tour, 7th row on the floor. Could not hear for 2 days. I think I was stoned for at least 1 just off the residue smoke at the show.

Freaking staying power baby!

Saw their Maiden England show in Atlanta this year. They've still got it.

Alice Cooper put on a good show too!

:wavey:

Resqu2
10-17-2012, 19:14
Although Guns N Roses does in fact seem to be classified as a glam metal band, they seemed a little "different" than the ones I listened to. Living through the era, it seemed like some of us wore Def Leppard/Poison/Motley Crue t-shirts... and the GNR fans didn't hang out with us, they had their own group.

PS...I was reading through the list of glam metal bands.
Anybody remember Britney Fox or White Lion?
I had forgotten about them! :rofl:

Ah White Lion, they were good to, I forgot about them also.

Johnspark
10-17-2012, 19:17
Ha!

We just bought a new FJ Cruiser and the package had a trial of XM radio.

I found the Hair Nation station and Permagrin set in.....My wife hates to ride with me now..LOL

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 19:17
Metallica

Oddly enough, if you know anything about Metallica...yeah, The whole Whiskey A Go-Go, LA scene. They were Hair Metal but they positioned themselves as the "Anti hair metal, Hair metal band" but they were NOT glam. They were thrash all the way.

el_jewapo
10-17-2012, 19:23

Yeah, I don't really think of Guns N Roses as a hair metal band. They had hair for sure, but the music was different.

As for the question of the thread, I've gotta go with Motley Cre.

el_jewapo
10-17-2012, 19:27
Oddly enough, if you know anything about Metallica...yeah, The whole Whiskey A Go-Go, LA scene. They were Hair Metal but they positioned themselves as the "Anti hair metal, Hair metal band" but they were NOT glam. They were thrash all the way.

I consider what you consider Glam to be Hair Metal. Your criteria for Hair Metal seems to be hair. A noble position, but if you just listen to the bands without looking at pictures of the band members, there's a pretty big difference in what most people consider "Hair Metal" and bands like Metallica and Guns N Roses. GnR comes closer than Metallica by a long shot, but still not what I'd consider Hair Metal.

Johnspark
10-17-2012, 19:30
Yeah, I don't really think of Guns N Roses as a hair metal band. They had hair for sure, but the music was different.

As for the question of the thread, I've gotta go with Motley Cre.

Ole Vince is doing gigs at the Beach these days. We saw him at the Pirate Festival in Savannah couple of weeks back.

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 19:31
I consider what you consider Glam to be Hair Metal. Your criteria for Hair Metal seems to be hair. A noble position, but if you just listen to the bands without looking at pictures of the band members, there's a pretty big difference in what most people consider "Hair Metal" and bands like Metallica and Guns N Roses. GnR comes closer than Metallica by a long shot, but still not what I'd consider Hair Metal.

I get that, most people would disagree with you about GNR, I do. Again, Hair metal poster children. Music, look, style.

With Metallica, it is more complicated.

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:33
GnR were not really hair metal IMO, they were a totally different feel to them when they came out. That being said I think all of the sub categories of Metal occupy a fine line of difference these days. Just 80s metal is what I use to describe it all.

I remember buying Kill Em All when it first came out on cassette based on a friends recommendation. They were very unknown then. Only cassette I ever wore out playing it. Still my favorite album by them for the memories. :)

snewsoG22
10-17-2012, 19:34
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e4EPv4M6OCI/UFNZQhJrMmI/AAAAAAAAALI/9GdeCfcMkOc/s1600/Power+Metal.jpg

el_jewapo
10-17-2012, 19:34
Ole Vince is doing gigs at the Beach these days. We saw him at the Pirate Festival in Savannah couple of weeks back.

Last I saw him 4 or 5 years back, he sucked worse than any live singer I think I've ever seen. Only saying every third or fourth word in each song. Pure crap. Is he any better now?

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:37
Saw their Maiden England show in Atlanta this year. They've still got it.

Alice Cooper put on a good show too!

:wavey:

I would love to see them again now :)

Just amazing that Bruce Dickenson flys their freaking 757 betweens shows:

Ed Force One In Fox News - YouTube

Just badass.....that is some rocking the world touring indeed :faint:

el_jewapo
10-17-2012, 19:37
W.A.S.P is an awesome Hair Metal band that doesn't get quite as much notoriety as the rest.

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:39
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e4EPv4M6OCI/UFNZQhJrMmI/AAAAAAAAALI/9GdeCfcMkOc/s1600/Power+Metal.jpg

No doubt a powerful band but is that a young Kevin Smith on the far right? :supergrin:

Johnspark
10-17-2012, 19:39
Last I saw him 4 or 5 years back, he sucked worse than any live singer I think I've ever seen. Only saying every third or fourth word in each song. Pure crap. Is he any better now?

Nope. But I wasn't really paying attention. There were Pirate chicks around. Arrrrr!

It was 15 dollar entry to a line of vendors stands leading to a beer tent. I don't think I even got in the tent. The wife, kid, and wiener dog were there so we just hung out in the open area and let the dog growl at all the pirates that tried to pet him.

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:45
W.A.S.P is an awesome Hair Metal band that doesn't get quite as much notoriety as the rest.

Ever time I hear WASP I think of this interview:

Chris Holmes - The Pool Interview - YouTube

Drunk in front of your mom is never a great thing :rofl:

Dudes lived the lifestyle no doubt

Johnspark
10-17-2012, 19:45
I would love to see them again now :)

Just amazing that Bruce Dickenson flys their freaking 757 betweens shows:

Ed Force One In Fox News - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwAxZ6rad8)

Just badass.....that is some rocking the world touring indeed :faint:

That is awesome!

Dan_ntx
10-17-2012, 19:47
Skid Row was probably the favorite... But best hair goes to White Lion, hands down.

I flat wear out hair nation on Sirius.

Little Joe
10-17-2012, 19:48
Y & t

snewsoG22
10-17-2012, 19:50
Steel Panther

Dan_ntx
10-17-2012, 19:51
Y & t

Love "Summertime Girls"...

Great song, almost a one hit wonder like Fastway with "Say what you will".

I saw Y&T, Zebra, and Triumph in the late 80's on South Padre Island and it was hair metal nirvana.

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 19:57
That is awesome!

If you have not seen this you should, best music tour video I have ever seen. Great balance of music and real behind the scenes footage. Just great to see a bunch of ole guys still doing what they love.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1361558/

Little Joe
10-17-2012, 19:59
Y&T

Forever - Y&T Forever - YouTube
Winds Of Change - Y&T-WINDS OF CHANGE. - YouTube
Barroom Boogie - Y&T Barroom Boogie - YouTube

Little Joe
10-17-2012, 20:00

I saw Y&T, Zebra, and Triumph in the late 80's on South Padre Island and it was hair metal nirvana.

:cool::cool:

scwine
10-17-2012, 20:00
Ratt,
White Snake,
and Poison.

scwine
10-17-2012, 20:01
add Def Leppard as well.

el_jewapo
10-17-2012, 20:02
Steel Panther

Death to all butt metal!

Ruggles
10-17-2012, 20:04
add Def Leppard as well.

Can't disagree with any of your choices :)

And....Gristmills in Gruene....Yum:)

glock_collector
10-17-2012, 20:10
How bout the hair chicks? Vixen, ozzys girlfriend, Heart(wildchild)??

Little Joe
10-17-2012, 20:16

Dave Meniketti is a good singer. Rescue Me was a hit for them, as well

Rescue Me - Y&T - Part 5 - Rescue Me - YouTube

w30olds
10-17-2012, 21:46
Name the original lead guitarist.

Wasnt Slash the lead guitarist?

Sent from my iRotary Phone

HollowHead
10-17-2012, 21:50
What, no Status Quo fans? HH

Chuck66
10-17-2012, 22:10
I loved all the hair/glam and rock bands of the late 80s/90s, IN the 80s/90s. Warrant, Slaughter, Firehouse, Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard. Tesla was probably my favorite of the pop-ier stuff. I liked anything that was guitar-intensive. But it was more a lack of options than anything else.

Once grunge changed the modern rock scene, I lost all taste for most everything from that era, and moved through grunge on to mostly heavy/thrash metal. Once Pantera made it big, I never looked back, except for GNR. GNR, and more especially, Slash, are timeless.

10mm Sonny
10-17-2012, 22:14
Wasnt Slash the lead guitarist?

Slash was the replacement.

Rabbi
10-17-2012, 22:14
Slaughter,

Me, Mark Slaughter...an epic time and a hotel in Alabama in the early 90's.

Oh there is a story there. I remember some of it! :whistling:

w30olds
10-17-2012, 22:15
While G-n-R was my favorite I gotta add Iron Maiden, Dokken, Great White and Skid Row to my list.

Clutch Cargo
10-17-2012, 22:15

When they were kids playing in clubs and private parties around DFW, they WERE a hair band. They made their mark and their money by reviving the metal genre.

I saw 'em play to 12 people and I saw them play to a stadium full of people. Their music changed. Their appearance changed. "Diamond Darrell's" name changed. The crowds changed. They NEVER changed.

RIP Dime - I miss you very much, my old friend. We'll one day share another Black Tooth Grin on the other side. Yeah Jeff, you had better still be watching out for Darrell.

HollowHead
10-17-2012, 22:21
Slash was the replacement.

Tracy Guns? He went on to form L.A. Guns which went nowhere. HH

w30olds
10-17-2012, 22:28
Tracy Guns? He went on to form L.A. Guns which went nowhere. HH

You sir are correct! I thought it was Slash, but he joined GNR in
June 1985 where Tracii Guns was in MarchMay 1985

MrsKitty
10-17-2012, 22:35
Motley Crue. I also enjoyed reading Motley Crue: The Dirt (my husband described it as a train wreck you couldn't put down when I caught him reading segments), Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries and This is Gonna Hurt. Hell of a photographer he is.

Altaris
10-17-2012, 22:47
Motley Crue. I also enjoyed reading Motley Crue: The Dirt (my husband described it as a train wreck you couldn't put down when I caught him reading segments), Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries and This is Gonna Hurt. Hell of a photographer he is.

Nikki Sixx and his Heroin issues helped create my favorite Motley Crue song - KickStart My Heart

scwine
10-17-2012, 23:03
Wow,,, I see posts of Y&T band and had to google them. Never heard of them before.

Blast
10-17-2012, 23:14
A few.

Skid Row - 18 and Life (music video) HQ - YouTube

Overkill Horrorscope (HQ) - YouTube

W.A.S.P. - Blind In Texas [HQ] - YouTube

Cinderella - Nobody's Fool - YouTube

RATT - Shame, Shame, Shame (music video) HQ - YouTube

Blast
10-17-2012, 23:19
Can't forget some of the ladies.

Joan Jett - I Hate Myself For Loving You [ Original HQ ] - YouTube

Lita Ford - Close My eyes Forever - YouTube

Vixen - Edge Of A Broken Heart - YouTube

Stevie Nicks - Stand Back (Official Video) - YouTube

costanza187
10-18-2012, 06:10

I am not somebody who really likes to read, but I bought that book... read that book and enjoyed it.

I always hated those people who say "oh the book is so much better than the movie" :upeyes: but The book The Dirt was a million times better than the VH-1 Behind the Music.

I guess musically, Motley Crue wasn't the most talented band out there, but they had that "something" that made them iconic. They talked the talk, and they definitely walked the walk.

eracer
10-18-2012, 06:25
Cinderella FTW!

+1 for Cinderalla!

eracer
10-18-2012, 06:34
What, no Status Quo fans? HH

Haha.....!!!

I've been hearing them on XM lately. I had no idea they made 30 albums and sold 118 million records.

Who can name another song by them other than this one?

Status Quo - Pictures Of Matchstick Men - YouTube

Here's a more recent bluesy rocker from The Quo

Caroline - Status Quo - YouTube

M&P Shooter
10-18-2012, 06:36
Guns N Roses
Metalica
Mega Death
Iron Maiden

BigMoneyGrip
10-18-2012, 06:44
Cinderella and Dokken were my main two.

Mntneer357
10-18-2012, 06:57
In addition to the true greats others have mentioned, I'll add

Faster *****cat
Faster *****cat - Bathroom Wall [HQ] - YouTube

Kix
Kix - Blow My Fuse (HQ music video) - YouTube

Ozzy
Ozzy Osbourne - Shot in the Dark - Vìdeo Dailymotion

Slainte!
Mntneer357

okie
10-18-2012, 07:05
Cinderella - Shelter Me - YouTube

Bren
10-18-2012, 07:10
Guns N Roses
Metalica
Mega Death
Iron Maiden

A. None of those bands are "hair metal."

B. "Megadeth"

markmjp
10-18-2012, 07:13
Wow you guys don't know crap about good music I pick racer x helloween queensryche fates warning megadeth in the good old days doken riot Sryper metal church savatage I can go on in on with this list

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

slick64
10-18-2012, 07:18
Queensryche!!! Also loved the first 2 Dio albums with Vivian. Accept was also another great band from that era.