G30 .45acp ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G30 .45acp ammo?

Wetwork
10-17-2012, 19:14
Just bought a G30 and I'm looking to see if anyone has had any FTF, jamming, etc issues with a specific JHP defensive carry load. I am currently using 230g hydra-shok and Speer gold dot in 230. Both non +p (because thats all I could find today.)
Any info about rounds to avoid with the G30 would be helpful. Also if anyone has suggestions for a good round in a G30, please feel free to suggest something.
(Please excuse me if there is a thread on this already. I could not find it.
Brian (Wetwork)
G23
G30
SA 1911
Kimber 1911
GP 100
Various others, rifles, carbines, shotguns, etc

SCmasterblaster
10-17-2012, 19:34
Just bought a G30 and I'm looking to see if anyone has had any FTF, jamming, etc issues with a specific JHP defensive carry load. I am currently using 230g hydra-shok and Speer gold dot in 230. Both non +p (because thats all I could find today.)
Any info about rounds to avoid with the G30 would be helpful. Also if anyone has suggestions for a good round in a G30, please feel free to suggest something.
Brian (Wetwork)
G23
G30
SA 1911
Kimber 1911
GP 100

My only Glock is a G17 9mm.

DeLo
10-17-2012, 19:38
Brian (Wetwork)
G23
G30
SA 1911
Kimber 1911
GP 100

Have you fired those rounds from it prior to carrying the 30? It should eat everything you feed it, but i would run it through some paces before carrying it..

SCmasterblaster
10-17-2012, 19:40
They make excellent SD ammo in all calibers. :cool:

gunowner1
10-17-2012, 20:04
Corbon, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T's , Speer GDHP, my G30 eats em all.

mj9mm
10-17-2012, 20:19
what i liked about my G30, was it handled anything that i put in the magazine, same results with my G36:cool:. try your favorites, good luck

Kalmah
10-17-2012, 20:24
Every gun is an individual. Recommendations really don't mean much since there's no way to predict how each gun is going to handle various brands of ammo.

A brand that others have had problems with in their G30s may work great in yours. A brand that others sing the praises of may turn yours into a jam-o-matic.

Personally testing various brands in your own gun is the only way to know what is going to work in your own gun. Do not even consider carrying a particular load without thoroughly testing it first.

With that said though, it is a Glock. It will probably eat anything.

Tiro Fijo
10-17-2012, 20:46
Every gun is an individual. Recommendations really don't mean much since there's no way to predict how each gun is going to handle various brands of ammo.

A brand that others have had problems with in their G30s may work great in yours. A brand that others sing the praises of may turn yours into a jam-o-matic.

Personally testing various brands in your own gun is the only way to know what is going to work in your own gun. Do not even consider carrying a particular load without thoroughly testing it first.

With that said though, it is a Glock. It will probably eat anything.

Excellent summary. :cool:

Wetwork
10-18-2012, 04:34
Thank you all for the feedback. And DeLo, yes I fired 100 of each of those before carrying with it. Fed fine and had no issues. Glad to hear the G30 eats everything and I hope it's hungry because I plan on feeding it all day today at the range.

BuckyP
10-18-2012, 05:36
I guess a lot will depend on how old it is, and what Gen. Mine is a Gen 2.5 and has a massively open chamber. It feeds anything.

I've run HST (standard and +P), Gold Dots (currently carrying), SXTs, Hydra-Shoks, EFMJs, etc. The only way this gun doesn't run is with 9+1 in my (so called) 9 round magazine. Of course, it takes all my might to rack the slide with a 9 round mag inserted fully loaded, so I wouldn't expect it to work. 10+1 with 10 round mags, or 8 + 1 with "9 round" magazines, all works fine.

When people practice, test fire their guns, they usually insert a mag, rack and shoot. When testing your ammo, be sure to load it up as you would carry it, which with most of us is a full magazine plus one in the chamber.

Wetwork
10-18-2012, 06:05
I guess a lot will depend on how old it is, and what Gen. Mine is a Gen 2.5 and has a massively open chamber. It feeds anything.

I've run HST (standard and +P), Gold Dots (currently carrying), SXTs, Hydra-Shoks, EFMJs, etc. The only way this gun doesn't run is with 9+1 in my (so called) 9 round magazine. Of course, it takes all my might to rack the slide with a 9 round mag inserted fully loaded, so I wouldn't expect it to work. 10+1 with 10 round mags, or 8 + 1 with "9 round" magazines, all works fine.

When people practice, test fire their guns, they usually insert a mag, rack and shoot. When testing your ammo, be sure to load it up as you would carry it, which with most of us is a full magazine plus one in the chamber.

Excellent advice and I appreciate the ammo suggestions. I have heard a lot of people say that +p rounds don't provide that much of an advantage and that they aren't necessary. I always thought the more power the better. What are your thoughts?

BuckyP
10-18-2012, 07:37
Excellent advice and I appreciate the ammo suggestions. I have heard a lot of people say that +p rounds don't provide that much of an advantage and that they aren't necessary. I always thought the more power the better. What are your thoughts?

It depends. I ultimately choose not to use them in the .45ACP. I'm not recoil shy, but admittedly follow up shots are effected in this size and weight gun. Admittedly (and I'm sure many will disagree), the lack of chamber support in this particular model / Gen was a factor in this decision as well. It also allows me to use the same .45 ACP round in all my guns, which includes an XD-S.. which I would imagine to be quite punishing with +Ps.

dakrat
10-18-2012, 09:55
there aint much on the ammo shelves that wont function in a Glock. I have not found it yet. I prefer the standard pressure in 45 acp.

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 09:59
I would carry the Corbon 185gr JHP load.

BuckyP
10-18-2012, 15:02
there aint much on the ammo shelves that wont function in a Glock. I have not found it yet. I prefer the standard pressure in 45 acp.

Once more true than today. Guess you missed all the posts about issues with G30 SFs, Gen 4 9mms, Gen 3 .40s with lights attached, newer manufactured Gen 3s? :whistling:

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 18:12
I would carry the Corbon 185gr JHP load.

Or maybe even the Corbon 230gr load. :upeyes:

F_G
10-19-2012, 08:38
I can't remember all the loads I've shot out of my Gen3 30. But it has been 100% since day one. I carry 230gr Remington Golden Sabres in all my .45's, I like how they shoot and have been one of the most reliable loadings I've ever tried.

SCmasterblaster
10-20-2012, 12:35
I can't remember all the loads I've shot out of my Gen3 30. But it has been 100% since day one. I carry 230gr Remington Golden Sabres in all my .45's, I like how they shoot and have been one of the most reliable loadings I've ever tried.

Thanks for the info. If I ever carry a .45, I'll remember this. :cool:

Wetwork
10-26-2012, 20:23
Thank you all for the advice. I purchased the following to test this weekend. All loads are 230g...
TAP FPD +p
Gold Dots in +p and standard
Golden Sabre in standard
Hydra Shok in standard
Then I ran out of cash.
I am sure that all of these loads would work well in a defensive situation so my choice will come down to what I can comfortably shoot accurately. I will keep you all updated as to my thoughts on shooting each...for what it's worth.
Take care everyone.

Z28ricer
10-27-2012, 00:09
Mine ate everything I put in the mag (didnt really try putting any .40 or 9mm in there, but that may have worked too).

When I finally sold it I was carrying 230+P HST's and i'd suggest them, or ranger T+P

CanyonMan
10-27-2012, 18:37
I have NEVER had a jam or problem of any kind at all in the G30 or the G36, and have over 1500 rds through the G36, and not far behind in the G30. Mostly hot reloads of my own doing.... In fact I have never owned a Glock yet that was not 100% with everything I fed it, and I am not a real Glock fan. I favor M1911's and 6 shooters. :supergrin: But must admit to NO failuers in any of my Glocks ! ;)

Good luck...

CM

Inebriated
10-28-2012, 12:13
Once more true than today. Guess you missed all the posts about issues with G30 SFs, Gen 4 9mms, Gen 3 .40s with lights attached, newer manufactured Gen 3s? :whistling:
Guess you haven't used any of those in a while? :whistling:

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 13:28
I have NEVER had a jam or problem of any kind at all in the G30 or the G36, and have over 1500 rds through the G36, and not far behind in the G30. Mostly hot reloads of my own doing.... In fact I have never owned a Glock yet that was not 100% with everything I fed it, and I am not a real Glock fan. I favor M1911's and 6 shooters. :supergrin: But must admit to NO failuers in any of my Glocks ! ;)

Good luck...

CM

That is an awesome reliability record.

BuckyP
10-28-2012, 17:10
Guess you haven't used any of those in a while? :whistling:

Well, sounds like you're living up to you user name. I was merely responding to the usual anything will fire in any GLOCK, and there have been, and still are in some cases, some issues. Many have gotten resolved, but doesn't change the overall track record, no matter how bad the fan boys like it to.

And before you label me as a hater, I compete with a GLOCK and my EDC is a GLOCK.

Inebriated
10-28-2012, 17:39
Well, sounds like you're living up to you user name. I was merely responding to the usual anything will fire in any GLOCK, and there have been, and still are in some cases, some issues. Many have gotten resolved, but doesn't change the overall track record, no matter how bad the fan boys like it to.

And before you label me as a hater, I compete with a GLOCK and my EDC is a GLOCK.
Right, I MUST be inebriated to say that someone complaining about issues that were rectified quite some time ago must be out of the loop.

And to say that, then ask me not to label you? Grow up.

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 18:13
My next gun may be a G36. It has the makings of a very good carry gun.

BuckyP
10-28-2012, 18:29
Right, I MUST be inebriated to say that someone complaining about issues that were rectified quite some time ago must be out of the loop.

And to say that, then ask me not to label you? Grow up.

1. Debunking an implication is not complaining.

2. Making a statement that I must be wrong because I haven't used one in a while, when my statement only stated that not every GLOCK ever made (not saying when) has been so trouble free, seems disingenuous.

3. I apologize if you took offense, I typically like to stay above any name calling. Admittedly, it's your chosen username. :embarassed:

4. Still, it "appears" you are one that may be quick to jump to the defense at any negative comment said about GLOCKs, regardless if they are based in fact, or personal experience.

5. Some are still experiencing issues with GLOCKs, though it would seem less frequent. Let's be honest too, it's not like GLOCK proactively went and seeked out all the guns that likely needed a parts "upgrade".

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 19:26
1. Debunking an implication is not complaining.

2. Making a statement that I must be wrong because I haven't used one in a while, when my statement only stated that not every GLOCK ever made (not saying when) has been so trouble free, seems disingenuous.

3. I apologize if you took offense, I typically like to stay above any name calling. Admittedly, it's your chosen username. :embarassed:

4. Still, it "appears" you are one that may be quick to jump to the defense at any negative comment said about GLOCKs, regardless if they are based in fact, or personal experience.

5. Some are still experiencing issues with GLOCKs, though it would seem less frequent. Let's be honest too, it's not like GLOCK proactively went and seeked out all the guns that likely needed a parts "upgrade".

for a gentlemanly reply.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: