Most fun, silly or ridiculous car you have owned. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Most fun, silly or ridiculous car you have owned.

Batesmotel
10-17-2012, 22:40
What car have you owned just for fun?

1951 Cadillac Hearse. In high school we used to cruise for hitch hikers. No one ever got in. Three on the tree and it took months to find a starter so we had to push start it. We could pile over twenty kids into it with room to spare. And not a single seat belt.

First time I bought gas it took forever to figure out where the gas cap was. Anyone else know where it was?

HollowHead
10-17-2012, 22:48
The most fun vehicle I ever had was an old ConEd Dodge van that had the engine between the two front seats. It was supposed to have had some kind of cover over it but didn't. You could adjust the timing, light cigarettes off the exhaust manifold and actually chirp the tires by spraying Whip-Its down the air cleaner snorkle all while driving. HH

Batesmotel
10-17-2012, 23:05
engine between the two front seats

Had a 1971 Ford Econoline 100 van that was the same way. With the cowling off the engine I could adjust the carb while driving.

9jeeps
10-17-2012, 23:21
First time I bought gas it took forever to figure out where the gas cap was. Anyone else know where it was?[/QUOTE]

Behind the Tail light.... Can't remember if it was the left or right one.

ateamer
10-17-2012, 23:38
My first vehicle - a '66 Chevy pickup, bought in '85. It used a quart of oil every 150 miles or so, no radio, about eight MPG, brush marks on the Bondo visible through the paint. Total POS.

I wish I had it today, it'd be cherry.

Snaps
10-17-2012, 23:40
I did a couple demo derby cars, and an old ranger I did to race some off road stuff.... None of those lasted very long, but at the same time didn't cost all that much either.

JLB768
10-17-2012, 23:49
Most fun was my 2008 Corvette Z06. I also had a 1955 VW Beetle, with a 2180cc under the rear deck, it was fun too. Most ridiculous/silly was my 75 Ford Courier, so low, that it hit reflectors in the road when changing lanes.

Berto
10-17-2012, 23:56
'66 Merc ParkLane, just a beast.
It was an Arizona car, drove it back to WA where the moist climate turned the interior into a chia pet.

NeverMore1701
10-17-2012, 23:59
'92 Plymouth Grand Voyager in '03ish. Had a job clearing brush, and could fit all my tools plus an air mattress in the back with the seats removed. Lotsa good times were had on that air mattress! The doors didn't shut right, the electronics were so ****ed it wasn't even funny (courtesy of the USBP), but it was still great!

jeager
10-18-2012, 00:01
'74 Triumph Spitfire through Pacific Northwest.
Dropped-off the camping gear at Uncle's home in Seattle.
Kept the 200 lb. toolbox
NEVER needed it!

1974 242 Volvo.
Same buddy was driving through the neighborhood,
we suddenly agreed to x-change seats.
Neither of us grabbed the wheel.
Avoided a new Ford Grenada at the curb!

skeeter1959
10-18-2012, 00:04
Ford Pinto in 1973. What a POS, but it was mine!

Hamilton Burger
10-18-2012, 00:21
most fun:
http://i50.tinypic.com/wuqhdv.jpg

silly:
http://i45.tinypic.com/111qv0l.jpg

ridiculous:
http://i47.tinypic.com/25juviu.jpg

Gallium
10-18-2012, 00:22
84 Ford Fiesta (or festiva). I side-rolled that mutha one time in the rain going down a hill, and was able to single handedly set it back right. I got it with 145k miles

Rear seats fold down for extra storage (so I could fit TWO quarts of milk instead of one). I paid...$400 for the car, put 40k miles on it (I distinctly remember for the 15 months I had it I spent more on fuel (about $1k) than I did for service, tires (didn't buy any!) or for the car.

Sold it to a bud with those bald tires but stilll running like a champ, for $600 he put another 30+k on it and sold it for a $800! :)

Ah, those were the days.

TKM
10-18-2012, 00:33
Boss Mustang.

II.:upeyes:

Had a BII, as well. I'm an idiot.

Batesmotel
10-18-2012, 04:16
First time I bought gas it took forever to figure out where the gas cap was. Anyone else know where it was?

Behind the Tail light.... Can't remember if it was the left or right one.[/QUOTE]

Left one. You needed to push the reflector in to release the latch and the light lifted up.

FPS
10-18-2012, 04:46
'55 Chevy Bel Air Convertible.

http://www.cruisenclassics.com/images/55chevyconvertible/all%20of%20car.JPG

Presscheck40
10-18-2012, 04:55
62 falcon ranchero with a straight 6.

Presscheck40

longhair
10-18-2012, 04:57
Vega panel wagon unibody with a Junior Johnson built 350 under the hood.

Annhl8rX
10-18-2012, 05:08
I've never had a ridiculous car, but I had a ridiculous motorcycle. It was a VOR supermoto. The only thing that made it ridiculous was that I bought it (traded for it, actually) several years after the company went belly up. Parts were incredibly scarce, and incredibly expensive. So much so that I was afraid to ride the thing, knowing that I couldn't justify paying to replace anything that broke. It was also ungodly hard to start, particularly when the engine was warm.

I had it for about six months and probably put less than 200 miles on it. Man...those were fun miles, though.

Hour13
10-18-2012, 05:37
1958 AMC Rambler, straight-6, pushbutton automatic. White, with a blue & red interior, continental kit.

Slower than snail snot, and consumed a quart of oil a week, but it was pure awesome.

Vacuum operated wipers, the faster you drove, the slower the wipers went. The wheel cylinders were unobtainium, and a rebuild kit was a three week wait special order. Car was 100% original though, right down to the "oil-bath" air cleaner. Only thing I upgraded was I converted from the generator to an alternator.

Craziest thing was the wheel lugs. They are reverse-threaded, you turn them to the right to loosen them. I discovered this after killing myself for over an hour, till I noticed the shavings from the lug-nuts digging deeper into the wheels.

Never seen that one before, I must have sat on the sidewalk giggling hysterically for a good 20min once I figured this out.

md2lgyk
10-18-2012, 05:52
1975 Triumph TR7. Great and fun car (when it ran). Kept it about a year. It was the only car I ever sold for more than I paid for it new.

Bruce M
10-18-2012, 06:44
1975 Triumph TR7. Great and fun car (when it ran). Kept it about a year. It was the only car I ever sold for more than I paid for it new.

Back when they were new I thought they looked very sleek and stylish.

mgs
10-18-2012, 06:52
I bought a 2 door 1970 Chevy Nova for $400.....307 V8 with Powerglide tranny. Used it as a road rally car. Most roads were unpaved logging roads and we beat the crap out of it. We were always the American V8 Entry because most were Saabs, Subarus, Audis, etc. Car never broke with all the abuse but we never put it out through the woods like some other drivers.

NH Trucker
10-18-2012, 07:25
87 Chevy K10 pickup. 6 foot bed, 4 inch lift, 33's, and a fuel injected 350. This was in 1999-2001.

It had two 16 gallon gas tanks, one that I always filled with regular, and the other I had filled with super plus a bottle of octane booster. I think I figured that tank to be running about 105 octane if the bottle was correct. I always used that when I was off road, or when some kid pulled up next to me in his riced up Honda with the 4 foot wing and fart can exhaust and wanted to race to the next light. They never could keep up.

I spent almost as much time off road with that truck as I did on. Street performance was pretty good too. Wide grippy tires with a suspension that was pretty stiff, it actually cornered better than some of the cars I've owned.

I miss that truck :crying:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

series1811
10-18-2012, 07:37
I got bored a few years ago and bought a 1971 Galaxie and turned it into a clone of the car Burt Reynolds drove in "White Lightning". I even dropped the auto transmission and stuck in a four speed toploader manual.

I drove it for a couple of years, and then got bored with it and got rid of it. :supergrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Group9/Picture130.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Group9/Picture132.jpg

Tvov
10-18-2012, 07:52
1977 Mercury Grand Marquis. 19 feet bumper to bumper. Got it from my Dad with 130,000 miles on it. Basically beat the poop out of it for the next 30,000 miles, but kept it really clean. Impressive burn outs, and went really fast on long straight highways - so long as you didn't need to turn or use the brakes... I miss that car. But it was in the shop a lot, that was when they were just bolting on new gov't required emissions crap on engines that the engines weren't originally designed for.

I don't have a picture of my car, but take away the sun roof and put different rims on and it was basically this car:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2eahtus.jpg

Dennis in MA
10-18-2012, 07:53
I bought a 2 door 1970 Chevy Nova for $400.....307 V8 with Powerglide tranny. Used it as a road rally car. Most roads were unpaved logging roads and we beat the crap out of it. We were always the American V8 Entry because most were Saabs, Subarus, Audis, etc. Car never broke with all the abuse but we never put it out through the woods like some other drivers.

Wife had a 72 Nova in college for a year or two. Late 80's. I think she paid $200 for it. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS! Dumbasses we were back then.

Most ridiculous - she HAD to buy a car at one point. She HAD to do it by herself. She bought. . . .

A Dodge Omni.

The best thing about this thing was the drivers seat. Wait. The ONLY thing about this thing was the driver's seat. The rest of the car was a classic Dodge POS.

It has a thimble-ful windshield washer reservoir in the front. For the rear window (which had a wiper), the res held about 6 gallons.

Oh, and this one was bought from a guy "selling it for his mom." I looked at the title after purchase. Oh crap - it's a dealer selling under the table. It's a POS, Jen. A POS!!!!

I never CarFax'd it, but based on the parts we replaced on a continuous basis, I suspect it had a run into Boston Harbor at one point in it's life.

It last 18 months. I don't recall what we did with it. Maybe traded it in on her Ford Ranger. (She's an eclectic car buyer, for sure.)

Cali-Glock
10-18-2012, 09:07
Either my 73 Vega that vented most of it's thick black exhaust through the dashboard or my 79 Mazda GLC station wagon with a missing passenger door. But heck, transportation is transportation, you don't let little things get in the way.

vart
10-18-2012, 10:02
In 1986, in high school, 2 friends and I bought a 1972 Pinto at a college auction for $75. We cut off the muffler, camoflouged it, mounted some KC lights on the roof, and drove it in the mountains Dukes of Hazard style.

Pintos do not do jumps well at all; very nose heavy...

deadmanglocking
10-18-2012, 10:50
83 Lincoln mark VI. Pimp metallic gold with cream interior. Cop friend gave it to me when his dad got to old to drive it safely. I had a mohawk and huge goatee/gauged ears/tattoos. I got some strange looks driving around in that. Drivers door was busted so if you turned fast it would swing open.

lwt210
10-18-2012, 11:21
Most fun car I ever owned was my first car....1971 Chevrolet Camaro with a 350 and three speed manual. Not really sure what my parents were thinking at the time as that car was way too quick for a new driver.

As far as silly cars? My step father was quite fond of buying what he described as "fishing cars". He would somehow find folks in need of quick cash and offer them a hundred dollar bill for their ride. It was quite shocking how many times he would walk away with the car, keys, and title with that ever present c-note hidden away in his wallet for just such an occasion.

He would bring them home, tag them, insure them, and hand the keys over to me. Another of his favorite "mods" was to outfit the rear tires with mud tires and see how much abuse the "fishing car" could take.

I have seen him take four door sedans down muddy lanes that four wheel drives could only tread. He'd get a running start and hit those dirt/mud roads at high speed and laugh the entire time.

Ford Falcons, big Mercurys, always a Dodge or two....I remember one of the Dodges or some other Chrysler product had a push button transmission on the dash. Always got a kick out of that one.

We kids were rough on them too. Think broken coil springs, blown motors, trashed transmissions.....he didn't care one lick. We'd fix what we could and scrap the rest.

Good times. Nothing like driving home with parts hanging off sparking off the roadway near your gas leaks.

jtull7
10-18-2012, 12:30
My first car was a 1948 Willys Jeep. I was born in 1949. No top, so it was frigid in the winters. The chicks loved it.

It was very similar to this one, except my Dad painted it High Visibility Yellow, which is the color road construction equipment is painted.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/jeep.jpg

MrKandiyohi
10-18-2012, 12:56
'67 Buick Riviera

I had it over 140mph once and only once.

Willard
10-18-2012, 14:05
1985 Merkur XR4Ti. Great handling, good power (engine was not stock), lots of space in the hatch for toys, tools, gear, etc. Currently not on the road, but in storage.

I would upload a picture, but not sure how...

PS - I also had a 1976 Mercury Marquis (like the one earlier in this thread). It was a lot of fun. Power-everything, fully loaded. Great for high-speed cruising on the interstate.

Glock20 10mm
10-18-2012, 14:17
Most fun? 1974 Mercury Capri with a custom built (by me with some help from step dad) 302CUI 5Spd Doug Nash trans and a Ford 9" modified rear end. The car was insane to drive... so insane that when I came home for my first leave I wrapped through a light pole. Only reason I walked was the sub frame and roll cage my step dad put in for me.

The first iteration of this car was a 1973 Mercury Capri and when I stomped on the gas I tweaked the uni-body so bad that both doors popped. So that was the catalyst for the sub-frame. Insane... I miss that car.

Hamilton Burger
10-18-2012, 15:07
...a 1973 Mercury Capri

I learned to drive stick on my GF's '73 Capri. But I bought a F85 Cutlass because the Crapri was way too cramped quarters for the drive-in movies. :supergrin:

GlockinNJ
10-18-2012, 15:18
I had a 1970 VW Beetle with a semi-automatic stick and a factory sunroof. I wanted to jam an 8-track player in the dash where the old radio was, but it wouldn't fit, so I had to do some sheet metal surgery - oh, and remove some heat ducts. Bad idea. I live in north NJ, so I had to keep an ice scraper on the floor by my seat to scrap the frost off the INSIDE of the window.

Once, on the first date I ever had with my wife as a matter of fact, I got rear ended at a traffic light. Just a minor fender bender, but enough to push the rear bumper far enough to prevent me from opening the engine bonnet. I never changed the oil again after that and sold it as is.

Fun car was a brand new Toyota MR2 that I bought in 1987 right after I graduated college and got my first job.

badge315
10-18-2012, 15:31
Without a doubt, the most fun vehicle I've ever owned was a 1987 Ford Bronco that I purchased brand new off the showroom floor.

As part of my mid-life crisis, I've attempted to recapture some of my mis-spent youth by purchasing a '96 Bronco. :supergrin:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Bronconight.jpg

Mr. Niceguy
10-18-2012, 15:51
Without a doubt, the most fun vehicle I've ever owned was a 1987 Ford Bronco that I purchased brand new off the showroom floor.

As part of my mid-life crisis, I've attempted to recapture some of my mis-spent youth by purchasing a '96 Bronco. :supergrin:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Bronconight.jpg

No doubt. I bought one on Ebay a few years ago to have around as a hunting truck, but find myself driving it more than my other vehicles.

fusegsp
10-18-2012, 16:02
Ridiculous = Yugo. The girlfriend bought one for $100, drove it for a year, and sold it for $75. The guys she sold it to billed themselves as "Yugo collectors." Didn't know there was such a thing.

janice6
10-18-2012, 17:00
Most fun:

I literally had a "bunch of early Mustangs. But the most fun Mustang was a white 1966 convertible with red interior.

I loved going over railroad tracks with it. The drivers seat would move backward, while the steering wheel moved forward, because of the unibody flexing without the roof and pillars reinforcement. Ford had thick steel plates (about a foot square) underneath to reinforce the intersections of the floor pan and cross members but no way to stop flexing out of plane. It was glorious. The driver had the feeling that the body was rubber under those conditions. I had a guy pester me so much at work that I would up selling it to him for his daughter.

The '66 GTO was fun during rush hour in town. I would get stuck in creeping bumper-to-bumper traffic and just wind it up and pop the clutch in low. The screeching and smoke was spectacular. I would brake right away, so I wouldn't actually move forward during this second.

The panicked looks, and heads snapping around, of the drivers near me was great.

BIL did a burn out, missed the next gear, hit reverse, in a Plymouth Hemi RR. Huge BANG, dead engine, all red lights came on. Hit the starter and drove away. Amazing.

I had a lot of "fun" cars.

ChuteTheMall
10-18-2012, 17:22
http://i45.tinypic.com/33molcg.jpg
1962 Corvair Monza
Dual carburetors, 2 speed Powerglide automatic transmission with a lever on the dash. It came OEM without any seat belts, I had to have lap belts installed to get a military sticker. The "Poor Man's Porsche."

http://i49.tinypic.com/314bb77.jpg
1982 Dodge Rampage
Take a Dodge Omni with 2.2l engine, turn it into a wannabe El Camino, an economy size front wheel drive pickup truck.
:rofl:

PhotoFeller
10-18-2012, 18:03
'55 Chevy Bel Air Convertible.

http://www.cruisenclassics.com/images/55chevyconvertible/all%20of%20car.JPG

Talk about a rush of memories! Very nice '55. I didn't own one, but friends did. My first Chevy was a '57 2dr HT, 283 cu in, canary yellow bottom and white top. The '55, '56 and '57 models were (and still are) special.

Martini Henry
10-18-2012, 18:11
I've owned this '57 T-Bird since 1982. Bought it in Watts for $5,500 cash, drove it back to MI without a top. Gave it the worlds worst paint job in '86.

I love this car, but I haven't had time to even get it out of storage in two years. Maybe I need to sell it, or else get it a garage in town (it's currently living in a hanger). My wife has never liked it, but I tell her I married it before she married me - and we have some good memories associated with this car...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/MartiniHenry/T-Bird.jpg

10-18-2012, 18:17
I had a '66 427/425 Impala SS. That thing was scary fast but it got single digit gas milage with 4.56 gears! In a moment of weakness, I sold it. I miss that car.

Martini Henry
10-18-2012, 18:21
Hopefully here it is:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/MartiniHenry/T-Bird.jpg

57' bought in Watts in 1982 with $5,500 cash, driven back to MI with no top. Lots of memories with this car, though I haven't driven it in 2 years. Wonder if I should sell it...then think that I'll never get another one like this, in spite of the crappy paintjob it got in '86

BEER
10-18-2012, 18:30
a 1980 chevette missing the entire rear hatch and every piece of glass except the windshield. the only piece of upholstery in the entire car was the driver seat and that was just the frame and foam covered with an old comforter. the rear seats were completely gone and the front passenger seat was just metal and foam. if you got it over 60mph you were good in a straight line but if you turned the wheel so much as 5 degrees the whole thing started shakin like a dog crappin pinecones.

i gotta give the beast credit though, it started on the first crank no matter how hot or cold it was, and it never left me stranded anywhere.

smokin762
10-18-2012, 18:35
I got bored a few years ago and bought a 1971 Galaxie and turned it into a clone of the car Burt Reynolds drove in "White Lightning". I even dropped the auto transmission and stuck in a four speed toploader manual.

I drove it for a couple of years, and then got bored with it and got rid of it. :supergrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Group9/Picture130.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Group9/Picture132.jpg

I was a kid when I last watched that movie on the Sunday Night Movie on T.V. My parents took me to the Drive Inn to go see part 2. Gator. :embarassed:

98LS-WON
10-18-2012, 19:48
I used to have a VW that I stretched and widened the body on and I put it on an S-10 frame. The S-10 had a 383 and ran ran low 11's.

GlockinNJ
10-18-2012, 20:27
http://i49.tinypic.com/314bb77.jpg
1982 Dodge Rampage
Take a Dodge Omni with 2.2l engine, turn it into a wannabe El Camino, an economy size front wheel drive pickup truck.
:rofl:

That just might be the ugliest car I ever saw.

Drain You
10-18-2012, 20:46
http://i.imgur.com/dI89O.jpg

I've only owned decent 'merican cars. But my mom bought one of these pieces of crap in the 80s. An "Opel". Metallic gold flake. Not sure what year she had.

This one had no back seat. You know, the perfect car to buy if you have a fat ass husband and 2 young children. We had to ride cramped up in the back for hour+ drives and the gas fumes was hallucination inspiring.

She loved the thing though, finally got rid of it and bought a new car, it was like Christmas Day.

ChuteTheMall
10-18-2012, 21:09
I've always thought that the Opel GT was one of the most beautiful cars ever. At least on the outside.

Drain You
10-19-2012, 01:18
As an adult I have to agree it looks kinda snazzy. As an 8 year old I plotted to burn it without catching myself on fire.

costanza187
10-19-2012, 06:09
The most silly/ridiculous car I have ever owned was a Dodge Neon. It was a great lawn ornament!

whitetiger7653
10-19-2012, 07:40
81 Rabbit with leaky convertible top so you got soaked while driving it and the trunk was the size of a shoe.

Coolest 3000GT I loved that car.

Bill Powell
10-19-2012, 07:46
Borgward Isabella

Hummer
10-19-2012, 09:06
My first car was a 1948 Willys Jeep. I was born in 1949. No top, so it was frigid in the winters. The chicks loved it.

It was very similar to this one, except my Dad painted it High Visibility Yellow, which is the color road construction equipment is painted.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/jeep.jpg

I had one too, a 1947 Willys, except mine was a civilian model which didn't have the recessed headlamps. It was a great car to have in college, and fun for four wheeling, "Jeeping" we called it at the time.

Most ridiculous: this Saab 91, 3 cylinder two stroke engine, with a clutch that would disengage to coast when you let off the gas. Supposed to be a fuel saver, but the cost two stroke oil negated any gas savings. It was a temporary ride when my other vehicles were in the shop. Fun though because it made me laugh every time I drove it. :supergrin:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Miscellaneous/Saab913cyl.jpg

Most fun: my 1969 Lotus Elan +2, fun as hell to drive and a consistent autocross winner.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Vehicles/Lotus3.jpg

Kevin108
10-19-2012, 09:26
Fun and ridiculous have been my 72 Chevelle and my 87 Silverado. Both with 350s, other go-fast goodies and getting around 10 mpg. I still have the truck. Lessons learned from it have led me to build my Jeep Cherokee in a more sensible manner.

Dubble-Tapper
10-19-2012, 10:14
this was one of my favorite cars. wasnt wild, crazy, or ridiculous... it was fun, and in some peoples opinion, silly.

94 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon. it was semi rare, SUPER clean example, as these cars usually got abused by stupid yuppies. it wasnt that fast, but it was quick for a 20+ yr old wagon, it was dead reliable, and so much fun on alternative surfaces :supergrin:
it was also a sleeper, i loved the looks when people heard the BOV. :rofl:
http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/ahaggardsubie/?action=view&current=IMG00039-20110115-1036-1.jpg
http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/ahaggardsubie/?action=view&current=IMG00039-20110115-1036-1.jpg

Dubble-Tapper
10-19-2012, 10:22
i fail at posting pics. heres one.

Dubble-Tapper
10-19-2012, 10:23
http://i.imgur.com/dI89O.jpg

I've only owned decent 'merican cars. But my mom bought one of these pieces of crap in the 80s. An "Opel". Metallic gold flake. Not sure what year she had.

This one had no back seat. You know, the perfect car to buy if you have a fat ass husband and 2 young children. We had to ride cramped up in the back for hour+ drives and the gas fumes was hallucination inspiring.

She loved the thing though, finally got rid of it and bought a new car, it was like Christmas Day.

an Opel GT!!! my buddy had a SBC swapped Opel. it was fast as ****. light cars, and they look cool.

FTjoe
10-19-2012, 10:39
'74 vega. my first car. rubbed more wax & armor all onto that thing than it was worth.

mid 80's pontiac GT. what a fun car!! felt like a go cart on rails.

'84 corvette. what a POS!! every bump i hit in the road made me feel like marty mcfly and his time machine delorean. the video display would blank out. knew exactly where to hit it on the dash to make it reappear. nickled & dimed me to death!!

dodge colt. bought it in college for $200 with a friend so we could drive to/from class. it lasted 3 days. that's what we get for draining out the (original?) oil and refilling it with quality oil.

smokin762
10-19-2012, 20:32
81 Rabbit with leaky convertible top so you got soaked while driving it and the trunk was the size of a shoe.

Coolest 3000GT I loved that car.

I had an 81 VW Rabbit. It was the cheapest model they made. It didn’t even have a radio in it when I bought it used.

The first winter I had it, the heating pipe that went to the manual transmission rusted off. It got stuck between the gears. I was only able to use 2nd and 4th gear. I was 30 miles away from home but it got me there. I also got 2 speeding tickets with that car.

That car got great gas mileage. :supergrin:

HollowHead
10-19-2012, 20:42
While I had the most fun in my high school cars, my current car is my favorite ever. Too bad GM axed it... HH

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/marmadukeruggles/004-3.jpg

10rounds
10-19-2012, 20:51
Red Mazda RX7. Got my first & second speeding tickets in the first six months of owning it.

muscogee
10-19-2012, 20:53
Isetta. http://www.diseno-art.com/images/bmw_isetta_open.jpg

Whiskey Six
10-19-2012, 21:12
I loved my Jeep Wrangler but my favorite was my 1975 BMW 2002 tii. I bought it in Oceanside while stationed at Camp Pendleton. It was "chemlight" yellow. Very fast and it handled like a go cart.

gjk5
10-19-2012, 21:27
ridiculous:

1977 Mitsubishi Fire Arrow. A complete POS I bought in 1992 for $400. A pair of panty hose holding down the battery, a random piece of rope for throttle, a hole straight through the floor. Came around a corner too fast and the mag wheel broke off at the spokes/mags and rolled away. I left it there and never saw it again.

Fun:

1972 Chevy K5, 4" lift, lockers, 35's, roll cage, racing buckets, soft and hard top, 'vette engine and straight pipes. That one was a blast.

furioso2112
10-19-2012, 21:39
Most fun was a mid 80s(86? last yr for carbs?) full size Blazer, 6" suspension lift, perfect body, big ole tires/wheels, great engine, transmission, exhaust - I had 'built' several of those for hard use, but got out of it for a few years, then found one that was complete, got a steal of a deal, seller was happy to be rid of it, drove it over the summer, then sold it for a small profit, guy that bought it was thrilled at his great deal. Everybody won. I really enjoy those trucks - especially now that I live in more city than ever and drive a Prius. Room to really spread out, comfortable in every way, durable, reliable, easy to work on, capable off road, convertible, what nice trucks.

Hamilton Burger
10-20-2012, 00:05
ridiculous:

1977 Mitsubishi Fire Arrow. A complete POS I bought in 1992 for $400. A pair of panty hose holding down the battery, a random piece of rope for throttle, a hole straight through the floor. Came around a corner too fast and the mag wheel broke off at the spokes/mags and rolled away. I left it there and never saw it again.

Wow, sorry yours sucked. Wife got a '80 from her grandma years ago. Mitsubishi 2.6 with a plaid interior, but the dash was instrumented & spacetaped like a Trans Am, and the car was peppy to say the least. Knowing how she drove, I put new Pirellis and a Thrush turbo muffler on it and "test drove" at 100+ mph pretty regularly :whistling:.... couldn't believe when she decided she needed to trade it for a 4-door Hyundai (that deal was another can o'worms!) :(

http://i46.tinypic.com/am9ysi.jpg

Dennis in MA
10-20-2012, 10:52
Had an 81 Rabbit. Clutch of death. That thing required the combined weight of a HS football team to press.

My 90 Tercel was funny. First time in it, I almost put the clutch thru the floor. "Oh, you mean most cars aren't like the Rabbit?"

LL6
10-20-2012, 11:07
The funniest incident that comes to mind was one I had in downtown Würzburg, Spring 1985. I had a new '84 Z-28 H.O. (purchased Dec '84) and had parked it near the Residenz to go on a walk with the spousal unit and kids through downtown and the adjoining parks.

Upon our return I noticed a crowd in the parking lot. I wasn't aware of the reason until a very constipated-looking gentleman walked up to me and complained that he couldn't get in his Porsche because all the people gawking at my Camaro parked next to him.

$14k Camaro > 911. What can I say?...Karma :rofl:

maximus1079
10-20-2012, 11:21
What car have you owned just for fun?

1951 Cadillac Hearse. In high school we used to cruise for hitch hikers. No one ever got in. Three on the tree and it took months to find a starter so we had to push start it. We could pile over twenty kids into it with room to spare. And not a single seat belt.

A 1977 Delta 88 with a small block Chevy 350 and a 400 turbo trans. Random car, random parts......fast as all anything, especially after all the ridiculous performance parts I put into it :sigh:

w30olds
10-20-2012, 11:28
Most fun car I had was a 1989 mustang GT with supercharged 5.0L. Super fast car! heavily modified.

Worst car was a 1997 Hyundai Excel which I drove some in my teen years. I eventually hydroplaned the car in a storm and totaled it in a ditch.

Sent from my iRotary Phone

gjk5
10-20-2012, 11:30
Wow, sorry yours sucked. Wife got a '80 from her grandma years ago. Mitsubishi 2.6 with a plaid interior, but the dash was instrumented & spacetaped like a Trans Am, and the car was peppy to say the least. Knowing how she drove, I put new Pirellis and a Thrush turbo muffler on it and "test drove" at 100+ mph pretty regularly :whistling:.... couldn't believe when she decided she needed to trade it for a 4-door Hyundai (that deal was another can o'worms!) :(

http://i46.tinypic.com/am9ysi.jpg

Oh it was fun to drive, it was just a 16 year old car that had been BEAT DOWN before got it, and then I put some serious beat on it myself.

That pic does bring back some memories!!!

unit1069
10-20-2012, 11:37
Car I miss the most: 1967 Karmann Ghia (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/MarignyMay07KarmannGhiaFrontSide.jpg)

The most fun/versatile: 1968 Jeep CJ-5 (http://i50.tinypic.com/wuqhdv.jpg) (Looked exactly like this except for the stock front bumper and no roll bar)

filthy infidel
10-20-2012, 13:24
The 'funniest' car I owned was a '73 MB 220D. Red with white interior, four speed. Great big manual Webasto Sunroof, air conditioning that would blow 34 degrees on a 99 degree day although it took a toll on the 56 or so hp.
To start it you pulled the knob backwards halfway until the big metal coil on the dash glowed, then the rest of the way until it caught. When it needed tires I had to leave a special note as to how to start it.
I drove it through anything. The fuel sender was iffy as was the odometer (it gave up at the half million mile mark) so I'd randomly get stuck. I kept a two gallon can of diesel in the back and a 17mm wrench to bleed the injectors, always had *barely enough* battery to get her running again.
A college roomate ran off with her unpaid, I'm sure that mother****er still runs somewhere down in New Orleans.

GoBigOrange
10-20-2012, 14:00
Most fun. 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4. A mechanical nightmare but I loved it.

janice6
10-20-2012, 14:17
Isetta. http://www.diseno-art.com/images/bmw_isetta_open.jpg

Those cars were the funniest things when you swapped out the engine for a corvair. Talk about wheelies, almost could not stop doing them....

ShootingTargets7.com
08-05-2013, 23:00
84 Ford Fiesta (or festiva). I side-rolled that mutha one time in the rain going down a hill, and was able to single handedly set it back right. I got it with 145k miles

Rear seats fold down for extra storage (so I could fit TWO quarts of milk instead of one). I paid...$400 for the car, put 40k miles on it (I distinctly remember for the 15 months I had it I spent more on fuel (about $1k) than I did for service, tires (didn't buy any!) or for the car.

Sold it to a bud with those bald tires but stilll running like a champ, for $600 he put another 30+k on it and sold it for a $800! :)

Ah, those were the days.

I had one of these myself, drove the piss out of it coming back and forth from Ft Drum Ny to Michigan for long weekends and passes.

That thing NEVER missed a beat ran like a top the entire time I had it.

I'd buy another one if I could find one today.

countrygun
08-05-2013, 23:08
My ex-father-in-Law, gave my ex-wife a cherry red 71 Dodge Dart That had formerly been the fire chiefs car and then used by the water-meter-reader in a small town.

Oh Gawd I hated that car. I was a pretty darned good GM and Ford wrench at the time, but I had never known anyone who messed with one of those things.

Slant 6, 3 speed.

Ballast resistor ????????

who thought a plastic gear on the bottom of the distributor was a great idea? I had never encountered a gear problem on a real car, Who knew?

Who came up with the gasket arraignment on the underside?

JimBianchi
08-06-2013, 00:30
Dumbest car was an taxi cab yellow AMC Pacer. Looked like a giant fish bowl. Only thing that worked reliably was the AC. Even when it caught fire, more than once, the AC still blew ice cubes.

Funnest truck was 1977 Chevy C10 short track racing truck.

My ex used to race trucks on the AZ circuit in the early 80's with her first husband and she still had it when we met. That truck could RUN! Crazy fast but it looked like crappp.

Blew the engine, replaced it with n $800 wonder motor (I wonder what possesed me to pay that much for junk!) and traded it in on a new 1986 Ford Ranger. What a let down that was.

nostalgiaguy
08-06-2013, 22:05
All of them . Silly and ridiculous starts from within the driver.

Seriously , . My second car was a 71 Pontiac Lemans. MY first one was a 71 Lemans too that my folks gave me , But it was just a crash test vehicle for a 16 year old boy with a fancy new license. I was working the drive thru at Mickey D's and a guy drove up with a clean and well built version of the car I just destroyed. We made a deal right there for 1200.00 bucks for said car. I learned to drive it like nothing I ever owned. I think I invented drifting with that car. It holds a lot of memories for me. I sold it to a girl friend of mine. The night she bought it she took it to the local hang out bowling alley. Where she discovered a good friend of ours had just been stabbed in a fight. She loaded him into the car and under stress could not remember how the B&M Z gate shifter worked. She drove him to the hospital 7 miles away wide open in first gear. But the poor old abused Pontiac made it to the ER and he is still alive today.

janice6
08-06-2013, 22:21
I forgot this one. I built it. Corvair 140 engine/VW pan and steering.

http://i39.tinypic.com/991jpi.jpg

MtBaldy
08-06-2013, 22:42
Most fun car I had was probably 1978 MGB (bought new) like this one, minus the luggage rack:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/wscott52/1978MGB_zpsf3d9ba43.jpg

Gubbmint regulations were hurting their performance but it was still a blast drive. I was in college and chicks dug it.

Runner up was probably a 1981 Camaro with a 4 bolt 350 in it. I took the engine out and put new camshaft, pistons, rods, and rings in it and bored it out to 355. New pistons brought the compression to 10:1. Put Accel ignition on it, Holley intake manifold and 4 barrel carburetor, stainless headers and Flowmaster mufflers. Never put it on a track or dyno but it was fast.

Cochese
08-06-2013, 23:25
Most ridiculous... 1989 Chevy Cavalier.

Bought from my parents for $600. Drove HARD for years. Through mud and weird stuff trucks avoided. Broke motor mounts. Constant neutral drops and J turns. Traded in for $800 on a 1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi.

Such a badass ride.

Hour13
09-19-2013, 21:25
'58 AMC Rambler

Straight Six, pushbutton auto trans, continental pkg.

Slow as snot, drank a quart a week of ATF, twice as much oil. Brakes were nothing short of terrifying, vacuum operated wipers went slower the faster you drove.

But damn, the chicks dug that car...

mike0262p
09-19-2013, 21:57
Most fun car was a 1967 Triumph GT6, British Racing Green in color, bought in 1972. Six cylinder, four speed, had oil reservoirs in the carbs that had to be kept at a certain level for them to work. It was a blast to drive.
Had to rebuild the transmission, you had to remove the seats, the center consul, the fiberglass floor to get to it. There was a permanent cross member under the trans so it had to be taken out through the driver compartment

ChuteTheMall
09-19-2013, 21:59
'58 AMC Rambler

Straight Six, pushbutton auto trans, continental pkg.

Slow as snot, drank a quart a week of ATF, twice as much oil. Brakes were nothing short of terrifying, vacuum operated wipers went slower the faster you drove.

But damn, the chicks dug that car...

Must have been the fold-down seats.:ladiesman:

Hummerbike
09-19-2013, 23:29
A Rambler Marlin for me.Mid sixties, can't remember what year it was built. That thing had five ashtrays.

plp
09-19-2013, 23:36
My entry was both fun and ridiculous. A 1978 International Scout Traveler with the worst body rust ever, sounded like a kazoo band going down the highway from all the wind noise. I kept several rain ponchos in it to use when it rained, while the roof and windows were water tight the side and floorboard would throw up a fine mist from underneath all the pieces of plywood.

Funny thing was, it was mechanically solid as a rock. I had the 2 barrel carb rebuilt and put a few alternators on it, other than that just routine maintenance. I put over a 100k on it, no telling how many times the odometer turned over before I got it.

I was at the auto parts store picking up stuff to change the oil when a guy offered me twice what I'd paid for it 8 years before and like an idiot I sold it. I'd always planned to install a tub and skins as it was just a really solid old truck.

BEANCOUNTER
09-20-2013, 00:41
While I had the most fun in my high school cars, my current car is my favorite ever. Too bad GM axed it... HH

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/marmadukeruggles/004-3.jpg

I've got its twin in my driveway now.

As far as I know, it was the last new 2009 GXP ever sold in Tampa. Wife refuses to drive it, but otherwise hates it. If you know how, you can put the car in competition mode. Its got a Cobalt dash, Cadillac transmission, worthless GM warranty, and MAP sensors that aren't stock. It is not a practical car, but it can be fun.

Hour13
09-20-2013, 06:19
Must have been the fold-down seats.:ladiesman:

Yup, EVERY car should have a fold-down vinyl bench seat...

:devildance:

Peace Warrior
09-20-2013, 06:24
An AMC Gremlin with only a driver's front seat, a rag for a gas cap, and last but not least it had a large piece of clear, thermoset plastic, taped inside and out, for a side window.

(Hey, it got me back and forth to work.)

SC Tiger
09-20-2013, 06:25
Never owned one, but I always wanted to hot-rod (as in fire-breathing beast) a Volvo 740 - the really boxy ones. I thought it would be funny to pass someone's high-performance car in something that looks like it was built in a high school wood shop.

ilgunguygt
09-20-2013, 07:32
87 Chevy K10 pickup. 6 foot bed, 4 inch lift, 33's, and a fuel injected 350. This was in 1999-2001.

It had two 16 gallon gas tanks, one that I always filled with regular, and the other I had filled with super plus a bottle of octane booster. I think I figured that tank to be running about 105 octane if the bottle was correct. I always used that when I was off road, or when some kid pulled up next to me in his riced up Honda with the 4 foot wing and fart can exhaust and wanted to race to the next light. They never could keep up.

I spent almost as much time off road with that truck as I did on. Street performance was pretty good too. Wide grippy tires with a suspension that was pretty stiff, it actually cornered better than some of the cars I've owned.

I miss that truck :crying:

Talk about a waste of money. The butt dyno may have convinced you it made more power, but it didnt.

b_oglethorpe
09-20-2013, 07:51
I built a ford pinto up to race. The deal was you couldn't spend anymore than five hundred dollars, it had to be rear wheel drive and a certain wheel base. It turned out the only car to qualify was a pinto. I bought it for $150. We moved the gas tank, I locked the rear diff (dirt track) and made our own manifold with straight pipes coming out of the hood. I wired spark plugs to the pipes and sometimes flames would shoot out the top of them. When you were needlessly revving the engine. It turned out to be 1/3 race 1/3 bumper car 1/3 demolition derby. I made it once around the track before someone took out my front right side and I smashed into a tire barrier. Super fun!

jimglocker22
09-20-2013, 16:51
My silliest car was also my most favorite/fun car. A 1984 Pontiac Fiero

Tvolt
09-20-2013, 17:37
A 1987 Subaru Justy. 3 cyl 4 spd. w/ push button 4wd and about a billion miles on it. It was sweet for only $200. I took it on the interstate, got it up to speed, the crankshaft let go and the pistons came out in a hurry.

The tow truck driver was impressed by sheer size of the oil/antifreeze slick that was left on the road.

JBCIII
09-21-2013, 10:36
1st car was a Chevy Malibu Classic wagon my grandmother left me, 305/5.0 Quadrajet. Big wooden box home stereo speakers in the back, wired to the stereo, lots of room for all my friends. Did a lot of donuts in it, and used to barrel down country roads w/a red roof light pulling over Farmer Bob (allegedly...). Loved that car and had some great times in it, some of which I even remember.

Next car was a Renault Alliance I bought from my mother. 5-speed hooked me on standards. However, the power difference was HUGE! While the wagon cooked nicely, this you had to downshift going up a hill on the highway, if there were more people than you in it. Occasionally I had to realign the ring at the bottom of the stick to make it go into all gears.

Oddly enough, I never had any kind of problems with the Chevy, but I got my first (and major) speeding ticket in the Renault.

Lesh
09-21-2013, 11:01
69 opal gt (think gutless 2/3 scale corvette)
76 checker (think taxi cab)
82 Plymouth champ. Ok, that doesn't sound interesting but it was an old napa parts car and had the baseball cap on top. I painted cap like a Colorado Rockies cap. Everybody would wave at me when I drive that car.

elsolo
09-21-2013, 11:14
Never owned one, but I always wanted to hot-rod (as in fire-breathing beast) a Volvo 740 - the really boxy ones. I thought it would be funny to pass someone's high-performance car in something that looks like it was built in a high school wood shop.

Have you seen the Volvette?
Full Length Volvette Intoduction from The Anti Team - YouTube

The old Converse Engineering V8 volvos were cool, if it wasn't for the smog testing hassles of CA, I would have a V8 Volvo wagon.