So, I got fat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So, I got fat

mr00jimbo
10-17-2012, 22:59
I just turned 26. When I was 18, I was a toothpick. I was 5'9 and barely touching 140. Now I'm hovering between 176 and upwards of 180. It doesn't sound like a much and i don't have a twig frame any more but still...

So I started doing some exercise, running just 10 minutes a day (yeah, it's a start, i'd get winded easily)
I started getting more energy, etc. Just from a bit of exercise. My girlfriend runs more than 5 miles every morning, and she's in phenomenal shape..the kind of shape that makes other women angrily jealous when they see her.

But I didn't keep the exercise up and I ate like **** to boot.
Tonight i was at the mall, tried on a pair of jeans...walked in front of that three way mirror and thought, "holy ****, did I get THAT fat?" I was disappointed from what I saw, I'll be honest. It didn't help that I tried on some Canada Goose jackets later, and it didn't fit in medium, and barely fit in large (in my defense they were slim fit). When I was 18, a damn small was sometimes big. :rofl:

It's mostly the physical feeling, and not the look, but I'll admit I like to look good for my girlfriend, and despite not being on the market, look presentable to other women.

But here's my problem: when I get hungry, I REALLY get hungry and can't think of anything else. My blood pressure is optimal, by the way, on the low normal side.

So I'm looking for suggestions of healthy food that's going to give me energy, strength and keep me full.
I'm going to exercise more, drink water, but i need to eat healthy food. I already cut sugar from my coffee and switched from cream to milk.

But mostly I need to know about simple foods to prepare at home and bring to work and to campus. My problem is I eat out because I'm so busy, and fast food isn't exactly healthy. But when I get hungry, I eat and eat and eat to quench the hunger and then I feel way too full/sick. I need to stop doing that, that's for sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to bribe myself with a new gun to get the ball rolling...a new gun to be purchased only after I make the changes.

Sorry for making this so long.

Glotin
10-17-2012, 23:13
Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, read it, then do the program.

Then it wont really matter how hungry you get, nor will it really matter what you eat as far as your weight is concerned (still matters for overall health).

You probably wont lose too much weight because you'll be gaining muscle mass as you burn the fat, but you will definitely look a hell of a lot better.

Simple stuff to bring to campus?

Almonds, apples, bananas, good deli meat sandwiches, carrots, etc.

Snaps
10-17-2012, 23:29
same thing happened ot me in my mid 20's. I had my right leg rebuilt and it made me lazy so I stopped running. I started puttling on lbs and got sick of it.

SOOOOO I started running and taking fat burners. Problem solved, a couple months later I was back to my normal weight.
if you're anyhting like me (and I don't know if you are) you don't like healthy food or else you'd already be eating it. I don't believe in making myself miserable and not having the things i like so I hope my plan works for you too.

*ASH*
10-17-2012, 23:35
little less of this

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/itsoncuz1ym4.jpg

bikerdog
10-17-2012, 23:40
Tagging this for suggestions. Im in a similar boat im 26 and weigh in at 200. In high school I was 175 and had six pack abs. Now I have the whole keg and hate the way I feel. I dont really care about my looks but I went from running sub 5 minute miles to 10 minute miles and feel like it.

I feel like I now understand how my grandfather felt before he died of old age.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JLB768
10-17-2012, 23:41
I weighed between 125-130 from age 18, till 39. At 44, I'm now 170. Went to the Dr three weeks ago over a lung issue, and had to return last week for a full blood workup. Results...chest x-rays clear, no lung cancer. Cholesterol, not so good...Bad cholesterol high limit 250, I'm at 283, good cholesterol, apparently that's in the basement :supergrin:

Liver good, kidneys good, a whole list of other stuff...good. Dr's orders...Exercise three times a week, and by exercise, Dr means elevated heart rate for 20 minutes. Take fish oil, and red yeast rice (Lipitor and Crestor cause me extreme muscle/joint pain), and easy on the salt and butter. My wife wants me to Zumba :rofl:

Glotin
10-17-2012, 23:44
Do yourself a favor and don't take "fat burners".

Most "fat burners" either don't work or have a negative impact on the body. One example would be the agent in most "fat burners", which impairs the synthesis of Vitamin A, and the body's absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).

The human body evolved over the past few dozen millions of years to get rid of fat through your basal and digestive metabolisms and physical exertion. No pill can do any of those things.

Woofie
10-18-2012, 00:01
The lowest I've ever been was about 170-173. Now I'm up to about 200 and am 5'9". I hate it, but never feel like I have time to do anything about it. I added a running class into my school schedule to force me to go move.

Controlling my weight has been a battle for me all my life. I have to run my ass off daily for me to make progress, but it seems like as soon as I get busy and slack off 30 - 40 pounds hops right on. Got laid off about two years ago and got pretty depressed and packed on over thirty pounds in a three month period.

Beans and rice is my go to meal when in dedicated weight loss mode. It's cheap and easy, like I like my women. I just can't control my portions. I can hear food screaming at me to let it out of the cold fridge.

domin8ss
10-18-2012, 00:18
First off, to lose fat you need to do cardio workouts. Running is excellent. My advise: Download C25K by Guy Hoffman from the app store on whatever phone you use. I did, and completed the program. When I started I couldn't run 60 seconds to save my fat ass. I'm now on B210K by the same guy. I recommend the paid version of these apps. Do this 2 apps and you'll be able to run with your girlfriend in 6 months. She'll appreciate it. You'll look better. Sex will be better too. Also, this will help you with your portion control. Exercising will actually make you desire less food. If you want a weightlifting plan I have one typed in Word with pictures. It's a 3 day a week program threat should take you 60-90 minutes to do each day. If you want it, send me a PM with your email address. It is absolutely free. No strings attached. I want nothing in return. I didn't create the plan. I discussed my goals, which are very similar to yours, with a number of personal trainers. This plan is the result of those discussions.

As for food. Stop drinking soda. I can't stress the importance of this. The carbonated water actually dehydrates you, and is a source of 5-10 pounds of weight gain. Drop that and drink water only. It may be hard, so use something healthier to ween you off. I used Crystal Light Pure. I now carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go. I try to drink 1 gallon each day. When you get to this point you will not want soda.

Bake or grill your foods. It's much healthier than frying. Snack often. You need to speed up your metabolism I'm order to lose weight. Find health snacks you can take with you, such as almonds. Almonds are better than peanuts because they are lower in fat. Fruits and vegetables are excellent too. They have very low calorie counts and will fill you up quickly. As for fast food, what I said above applies. Fruit instead of fries are a good substitute. If you get a drink try unsweetened tea or lemonade with lots of ice. Try to avoid buns. Get wraps instead. Mcdonald's us good with this. It seems like every burger they make can also come as a wrap. Subway flatbread is better than their loaves. Why? Bread is a complex carb. They don't break down easily or quickly. Switch over to wheat pastas. If you must eat bread, go with whole grain. These are just a handful of cheap and easy things you can do to eat better. I find wheat and whole grain products to taste sweeter and better than white flour products anyways.

When it comes to weighing yourself, do it the morning of the day you plan on starting your workout immediately after you have woken up and used the toilet. Take pictures of yourself in your underwear. Measure your upper arms and legs, lower legs, chest and stomach. Write down everything on the back of the picture, including your weight. Stick it on the as motivation in the morning or tick it in a drawer. That's up to you. Don't look in the mirror, step on the scale, or measure yourself until after completing week 6. I recommend the morning after your last workout. Then, do everything again and compare the picture and numbers with the first set. Repeat every 2 weeks.

Oh, another snack I absolutely love is hot air popcorn. cup unpopped will be big enough to fill you up. Mix with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and teaspoon of garlic powder after popping.

Do you have a Chick fil-A near you? I find their grilled chicken club sandwich (which comes on wheat bread) with a large fruit bowl instead of fries and a large lemonade with heavy ice to be very satisfying.

As for my weight, I started in February at 326 lbs. I'm now down to 307. I know it's not a lot, but the fat is almost gone, I'm training to run a 10k (already completely ran a 5k), and my strength is drastically improved. I haven't lost much weight because muscle weighs more than fat, however it is the inches that matter. I've gone down from a 46 inch waist to 42. I'm down from XXXL shirts to XXL. My gut is smaller and my chest is flatter. I have built shoulders and calves. My arms and upper legs are starting to show some definition. And, my sides and the portion of my torso between my chest and stomach are starting to come through. If I can do it, you most definitely can. I understand I will always be a big guy, especially since I have a 20 inch neck. However, it is one thing to be big and fat. It's another to be big and fit.

Stoneyrn
10-18-2012, 00:30
Choosing to do something now before it get's to be a real problem is GREAT!!! Drinking more water is fantastic! You have to learn is it appetite or hunger when you eat. Most of us eat because of boredom or stress. Working, going to school and being in a relationship at the same time is stressfull and Hard work. Find time during the week to prepare meals that can be frozen for use later in the week. Make sure that you do a gradual change in activity so that you don't overtax your joints and get too sore then get discouraged. Remember, you did not put the weight on over night so for LASTING change make gradual changes that will LAST to keep the weight OFF. Determine if you eat because of boredom or stress. If your bored or stressed have sex with your girlfriend.:wow:

Bushflyr
10-18-2012, 00:44
Annnnd ignore pretty much everything domin8ss posted above. It's pretty much all wrong. :upeyes:

Cardio is great. It makes your heart strong. Your heart does not consume significant amounts of calories at rest. Build muscle. More muscle burns more calories 24x7.

Quit soda. Yes. However the idea that carbonated water somehow dehydrates you is utter rubbish. The sugar is bad. The water is water.

Frying is just as healthy as any other cooking method provided you do it right. Fat is good for you. Fat triggers the "satisfied" feeling after eating. No fat means you need to gorge on carbs to feel full. Provided it's good fat. Eat good fat, consume less calories. Feel full.

Blah, blah, blah.

You started in Feb at 326 and you're only down to 307?!? You need to throw out all the things you "know" about diet and weight loss and start over. I quit refined carbs and in 1 month dropped from 175 to 160. I don't run. I walk quite a bit. I lift 2-3x a week. Without "white" carbs in my diet it's actually hard to get enough calories to bulk back up to 175ish where I'd like to be.

I shoot for half veggies, a third protein, and the rest unrefined/non white starch. Lift weights. Walk a lot. Run if it feels good. Play. Done.

Dennis in MA
10-18-2012, 09:13
Bullcrap.

You dont' get really hungry. You just don't. You THINK you are really hungry. Has to do with something growing up. Older brother stealing your food, grandma getting after you, whatever. There is a TRIGGER to eating too much.

I'll give you what my solution is: Try fasting.

Honestly.

For some stuff at our church 2 years ago, I started fasting every Wednesday. I did it for 3 months.

Know what I found out? If I didn't eat, I actually DIDN'T die.

It has taught me a ton about how much to eat and the "fear" of hunger. Sure, I overeat at times. But for the most part, it isn't as hard to just STOP at a certain point and be satisfied.

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 16:36
First off, to lose fat you need to do cardio workouts.

Cardio is great. It makes your heart strong. Your heart does not consume significant amounts of calories at rest. Build muscle. More muscle burns more calories 24x7.

+1.

I'd suggest using HIIT cardio to increase calorie burn between workouts. I'd rather do HIIT for 30 min, than slow cardio for 90+ min.

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 16:40
You dont' get really hungry. You just don't. You THINK you are really hungry. Has to do with something growing up. Older brother stealing your food, grandma getting after you, whatever. There is a TRIGGER to eating too much.

I dunno about your older brother theory, but often huger is caused by earlier deprivation.

I.e. you eat a light breakfast since you're trying to lose weight.

Then a light lunch.

As a result you binge in an seemingly uncontrollable way at dinner to compensate.

IMHO that's a typical misguided approach that most folks take. It leads to no results, or negative results.

Instead eat 5 - 6 small meals through out the day, plus snacks. Focus on the macros, and eat a lot of nutritionally rich and fibrous but low calorie food (veggies) if you have hunger pains. Avoid the calorie dense food.

Woofie
10-18-2012, 17:13
I dunno about your older brother theory, but often huger is caused by earlier deprivation.

I.e. you eat a light breakfast since you're trying to lose weight.

Then a light lunch.

As a result you binge in an seemingly uncontrollable way at dinner to compensate.

IMHO that's a typical misguided approach that most folks take. It leads to no results, or negative results.

Instead eat 5 - 6 small meals through out the day, plus snacks. Focus on the macros, and eat a lot of nutritionally rich and fibrous but low calorie food (veggies) if you have hunger pains. Avoid the calorie dense food.

I've always felt unfulfilled when I try the 5-6 small meals. It leads me to grazing all day. I may be atypical, however, because I can sit down and eat myself sick at every meal. Been that way my whole life.

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 21:22
I've always felt unfulfilled when I try the 5-6 small meals. It leads me to grazing all day. I may be atypical, however, because I can sit down and eat myself sick at every meal. Been that way my whole life.

A typical small meal for me is:

1 whole chicken breast, approx 200 cal
1 cup squash 40 cal
1 cup broc 26 cal
1 cup zucchini 20 cal
1 carrot 30
1 cup strawberries 49 cal

Total: 365 cal

East something similar 6 times per day and you're at 2400 cal. (six 400 calorie +- meals)

That leaves between 300-600 calories for snacks depending on the final count I'm aiming for on that particular day.

For me maintenance level is around 2700 cal per day, so often I'm aiming for between 2300 to 3000+ depending on my goals.

YMMV, but doing the above means I'm never hungry.

NMG26
10-18-2012, 21:41
Download Wheat Belly to your Kindle.

My wife and I cut out wheat and it made a big differnece.

Also my wife stopped smoking after 40 years. She did it using the E-cigarette system. I tried it just to do something with her and found that the nicotine stopped hunger cravings. If you are not too cool to vape, you could give that a shot as well.

Harper
10-18-2012, 22:04
But here's my problem: when I get hungry, I REALLY get hungry and can't think of anything else. ..
So I'm looking for suggestions of healthy food that's going to give me energy, strength and keep me full.
I'm going to exercise more, drink water, but i need to eat healthy food.

You'd be surprised, when you cut out processed carbs and start eating healthy, the meals are pretty filling. I can lose weight eating four meals a day like this:
8oz chicken breast
sweet potato
piece of fruit
fresh green vegetables

Obviously cooking chicken breasts four times a day is ridiculous so I cook a few days worth of meat at a time and just warm it up in the microwave when I need to.

I also don't suggest any gimmicky diets. Learn to make a healthy meal plan so you can stay fit for life, not just lose weight only to gain it back once you get tired of beet juice or whatever gimmicky diet people are doing now. Learn how to count calories, how man calories you need, about macro nutrient ratios,etc. It's not always necessary to count calories but it's knowledge that will ensure you know how to eat properly. I believe you're not allowed to complain about not losing weight until you know how many calories you're eating.

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 22:17
Obviously cooking chicken breasts four times a day is ridiculous so I cook a few days worth of meat at a time and just warm it up in the microwave when I need to.

Yeah me too. Cook up an 8 pack and I'm good for 3 days or so.

I also sparingly eat processed sandwich meat: 2 servings for a meal is around 160-180 cal for turkey. Costco brand is pretty decent.

2 servings of shrimp is around 170 cal. Tasty and cooks in 5 min (sauteed with veggies).

Can of tuna.

Cup of cottage cheese.

There are lots of healthy, quick & easy to cook protein sources.

Protein FTW!

janice6
10-18-2012, 22:30
There are many more severe medical problems available today. Be glad yours is "fixable".

Good luck on your efforts. I really mean it.

domin8ss
10-18-2012, 22:39
Annnnd ignore pretty much everything domin8ss posted above. It's pretty much all wrong. :upeyes:

Quit soda. Yes. However the idea that carbonated water somehow dehydrates you is utter rubbish. The sugar is bad. The water is water.

Frying is just as healthy as any other cooking method provided you do it right. Fat is good for you. Fat triggers the "satisfied" feeling after eating. No fat means you need to gorge on carbs to feel full. Provided it's good fat. Eat good fat, consume less calories. Feel full.

Blah, blah, blah.

You started in Feb at 326 and you're only down to 307?!? You need to throw out all the things you "know" about diet and weight loss and start over. I quit refined carbs and in 1 month dropped from 175 to 160. I don't run. I walk quite a bit. I lift 2-3x a week. Without "white" carbs in my diet it's actually hard to get enough calories to bulk back up to 175ish where I'd like to be.

Funny how you said forget everything I said, yet pretty much repeated it.

I will never see 160-175. It is physically impossible for me. When talking about my weight you fail to consider that I weight lift about 5-6 hours per week and run am additional 3. It is questionable that I'll ever see 250 because I'm lifting, according to my doctors. Don't criticize the number until you see the body. Just because I'm 300 doesn't mean morbidly obese. I have, after all, done something most people in never see. I ran a 5k in its entirety while still over 300 lbs. I'm a big person by nature. I'm just not as round.

Btw, one reason my dietician says people eat too much is that they aren't drinking enough water, thus giving them the feeling of hunger, which causes them too eat.

Me. Taken 2 second ago. That's 307 lbs.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/19/a9edeher.jpg

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 22:52
First off, to lose fat you need to do cardio workouts.

To lose fat you need a calorie deficit. That can be accomplished via diet + cardio OR circuit training OR simple resistance training. Burn more than you eat, and yo'll lose weight -- and some of that will be fat.

I will never see 160-175. It is physically impossible for me. When talking about my weight you fail to consider that I weight lift about 5-6 hours per week and run am additional 3. It is questionable that I'll ever see 250 because I'm lifting, according to my doctors. Don't criticize the number until you see the body. Just because I'm 300 doesn't mean morbidly obese. I have, after all, done something most people in never see. I ran a 5k in its entirety while still over 300 lbs. I'm a big person by nature. I'm just not as round.

I was a 'big person by nature' too, since birth. A few years ago I made changes, and now I am not.

I have a hard time believing you are not morbidly obese at 300 pounds, unless you are 15' tall.

Have you had an accurate body fat percentage taken? I.e. via DEXA scan? That is how you'll be able to tell if you're obese or not.

A 5k is only 3 miles. A paltry, measly, puny 3 miles. Err, I mean WAY TO GO MAN! It's a start. :supergrin:

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 22:55

I'd guess 35% body fat. You could drop down to sub 200 lbs. And I mean that in an encouraging sort of way, honest ;)

Billua
10-18-2012, 22:57
Watch the movie Fathead. It makes sense and works.

domin8ss
10-18-2012, 23:08
The Marines couldn't get me below 220. I was taken off the diet plan in boot camp because I looked like a walking skeleton. You could literally count my ribs.

Did you guys miss the part where I mentioned I was now training for a 10k? And, it's not like 5k is a small task. It's more than double the 1 mile minimum everybody in the military has to pass every 6 months. Besides, lets see another 300+ lbs person run a full 5k. I didn't walk a single step. That is still an accomplishment. The smallest my neck has ever been is 19 inches. That was at 240 pounds, right after the marine corps school of infantry. That was before I ever weightlifted. It's currently 20 inches. When asked to guess my weight while I'm standing in front of them most people say 260-ish.

I am in no way championing 300+ lbs as healthy for me. However, to speculate that I'll ever be below 200 is not realistic. I think 250-260 is more likely. Look at those forearms. They are fit.

I do watch what I eat. I use the measuring cups to measure my portions. I write everything down and check it with a pocket book I have for calories, fat, etc.

Here is a pic of me a year ago. Notice how much rounder I was. I even had moobs. :(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/19/esenazu8.jpg

holesinpaper
10-18-2012, 23:24
How many push ups can you do?

Pull ups?

Harper
10-18-2012, 23:34
I will never see 160-175. It is physically impossible for me. When talking about my weight you fail to consider that I weight lift about 5-6 hours per week and run am additional 3. It is questionable that I'll ever see 250 because I'm lifting, according to my doctors. Don't criticize the number until you see the body. Just because I'm 300 doesn't mean morbidly obese.

Not to continue the hijack but...You have to look at body fat percentage. That's what tells you if you're obese, not all those anecdotes.

domin8ss
10-19-2012, 00:14
How many push ups can you do?

Pull ups?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I haven't tried since starting. My initial testing only had me do 4x15 push ups. The pull ups were on some machine where I kneeled on a pad. I don't recall the numbers. If I remember to do them tomorrow and remember to post them here I'll let you know.

Here's my workout. Hopefully it'll help the OP. When I'm able to complete all of the sets I increase the weight the following week.

Monday (weights as of 10/15)
Yes, I know chest and back are not recommended on the same day.
Incline Dumbell Press 4x10 @ 35
Incline Dumbell Fly 4x10 @ 35
Flat Dumbell Press 4x10 @ 35
Flat Dumbell Fly 4x10 @ 35
Close Grip Bench Press 3x10 @ 50 (it's really just a dumbell with a longer bar
Lying Nose Crushers 3x10 @ 60 (dumbell with longer bar
V-Bar Press downs 3x12 @ 120
Reverse Grip Pressdowns 3x12 @ 120
Wide grip pulldowns to front 4x10 @ 115
Seated rows 4x10 @ 135
Bentover Barbell Rows 4x10 @ 75 (actual barbell)
Reverse Close Grip pulldowns 4x10 @ 115
Standing barbell curls 4x10 @ 70 (dumbell with longer bar)
Preacher curls 4x10 @ 50
Alternate dunbell curls 4x10 @ 35
Dumbell hammer curls 3x10 @ 35
Continue training for 10k

Wednesdays (weights as of 10/17)
Leg extensions 4x15 @ 75
Squats (the real kind) 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4
Feet together leg press 4x12 @ 205
Hack squats 4x12 @ 95
Lying leg curls 6x15 @ 65
Seated dumbell press 4x10 @ 50
Upright rows 4x10 @ 80 (dumbell with longer bar)
side laterals 4x10 @ 25
dumbell front raises 3x10 @ 25
Rear pec dec 4x10 @ 130
Dumbell shrugs 4x10 @ 60
Seated toe raise 3xfailure @ 150
Standing toe raise 3xfailure @ 145 on diamond shaped bar

Friday (as of last week)
Crunches sets of 30 until failure. Currently around 45 total.
Leg lifts sets of 20 until fail. Currently around 32-35 total.
Bicycle maneuver sets of 25 until failure. Currently over 3 sets.
Plank 60 seconds
Side planks 60 seconds each
Side bends 1x20 @ 25 each side
Decline crunch sets of 20 @ 15 until failure. Almost to 30 right now.
Ab wheel 1x20 (going left, then straight forward, then right only counts as 1, thus I actually do 60).

This weeks training for 10k is:
warmup walk of 5 minutes,
run 9 minutes,
walk 1 minute,
run 9 minutes,
walk 1 minute,
run 9 minutes,
walk 1 minute,
run 9 minutes,
cooldown walk 5 minutes.
I'm close to 3.5 miles in just the running times combined with this routine. This doesn't account for distance I walk at all.

I would be completing a 10k this saturday if I had not torn my shoulder in August. That set me back 2 weeks. I also missed 2 weeks in September due to an emergency trip home for a funeral. I also started late after my move from Virginia to Illinois in late June-mid July. If I had started as little as 1 week earlier and not had those other things come up I would have been ready for the 10k. Oh well. There is always next year. I'm still going to keep getting ready.

Next week the runs increase to 10 minutes. The following week there are only three 15 minute runs. It continues like this until the final week where it is two 30 minute runs with a 1 minute walk inbetween. I have added another week by doing 60 minute nonstop runs. In December I begin training for a 1/2 marathon. My goal is to complete a tough mudder in mid-May. www.toughmudder.com (http://www.toughmudder.com)
Not to continue the hijack but...You have to look at body fat percentage. That's what tells you if you're obese, not all those anecdotes.

You're right. It just seems you guys are missing the point. Not everybody can achieve 160 lbs. 220 had me looking like an anorexic teen girl. The military realized after I got out that a specific weight limit for a specific height is not realistic. That's why if you fail weight standards today you can be tape measured and still pass. Yes, right now I would fail, but not as badly as I would have a year ago. I will never make weight by military standards. I never did. I will one day be able to pass tape. To tell me sub-200 is realistic is unrealitic. My doctors told me so. Guess what? Those doctors work for the military. I see them because I am now a military spouse. My wife happens to be a certified pediatric nurse (CPN and RN) for the Navy. Since those doctors have seen me and draw labs annually at my physical I'll take their word concerning my health more seriously. As for my diet, my military spouse benefits include free access to a dietician too. Guess what the caloric intake is that the government recommends for an active male adult in his early 30s is. 3,000 calories. That's why I try to keep it between 2,000 and 2,400. I want to lose fat. However, I'm also gaining muscle. As it was explained to me. A pinky size of muscle in weight is equal to a handful of fat.

Bushflyr
10-19-2012, 01:23
Your belly is bigger than your chest bro.

I will never see 160-175. It is physically impossible for me. When talking about my weight you fail to consider that I weight lift about 5-6 hours per week and run am additional 3.

It's not how many hours you spend it's how hard you go. No wonder it takes you so long when you're screwing around with light weights and tons of reps of silly isolation exercises. :upeyes: SL 5x5. Weighted chins and weighted pulls on alternate off days. <30 minutes a day and done.

It is questionable that I'll ever see 250 because I'm lifting, according to my doctors. Don't criticize the number until you see the body.

OK, seen it. Can I criticize now?

Just because I'm 300 doesn't mean morbidly obese. I have, after all, done something most people in never see. I ran a 5k in its entirety while still over 300 lbs.

Only because most people never see 300.

I'm a big person by nature. I'm just not as round.

I'm just big boned!!

Btw, one reason my dietician says people eat too much is that they aren't drinking enough water, thus giving them the feeling of hunger, which causes them too eat.

holesinpaper
10-19-2012, 01:31

http://freefitnessguru.com/images/7713.men-body-fat1.jpg-550x01.jpg

I still guess around 30-35% body fat. That is by definition obese no matter how far you can run, how fast, how much you lift, etc.

Congrats on the progress. Yes you look healthier than a couple years ago. You got more active and lost weight... so keep that up.

holesinpaper
10-19-2012, 01:39
BTW I'm not actually trying to bust your chops. I'm just saying what I see. Self assessment can be the worst for yielding accurate data.

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-picture-men-women.jpg

I'm around 25% myself, but I've been eating a 300-400 cal surplus for the last 3 months. Before that I was right around 20%. This is a fairly accurate as I haven't done DEXA yet but will before I start my cut.

domin8ss
10-19-2012, 01:57
Looking at those pics, I'd say I'm between 25%-30%. I still have some of a gut like the guy in the 30% pic, but I have the sides of the guy in the 25% pic. I'm also being the definition of the guy in the 25% pic for the spacer below my chest and above my stomach. Without sucking in my stomach you can tell where my bottom ribs are.

holesinpaper
10-19-2012, 02:07
Looking at those pics, I'd say I'm between 25%-30%. I still have some of a gut like the guy in the 30% pic, but I have the sides of the guy in the 25% pic. I'm also being the definition of the guy in the 25% pic for the spacer below my chest and above my stomach. Without sucking in my stomach you can tell where my bottom ribs are.

Self assessments typically yield the most unreliable data imho.

You should get a real body fat measurement done. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/

Don't use some electrical impedance POS, they just aren't accurate. They regularly place me at 10%-12% which is a crock.

domin8ss
10-19-2012, 02:09
Your belly is bigger than your chest bro.

It's not how many hours you spend it's how hard you go. No wonder it takes you so long when you're screwing around with light weights and tons of reps of silly isolation exercises. :upeyes: SL 5x5. Weighted chins and weighted pulls on alternate off days.

Can I see your certifications please? I've had trainers at 2 gyms look at the plan. They like what they see. I've made adjustments where they recommend. My doctor for my last physical approved it. The lab results are in. ldl is lower (was never a problem as it was in range for acceptable). Hdl is going up (was too low). Testosterone had been going up. Weight is down. Cardio is improved. Strength is increased. What more do you have to come at me with? It's not like you are suggesting a solution to something you see as a problem.

Had you bothered to ask a question you would have known my presses and flys started at 10 lbs. V-bar, pulldowns, and rows started around 50. Everybody has to start somewhere.

domin8ss
10-19-2012, 02:10
Self assessments typically yield the most unreliable data imho.

You should get a real body fat measurement done. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/

Don't use some electrical impedance POS, they just aren't accurate. They regularly place me at 10%-12% which is a crock.

You're the one posting the pics to look at. Why bother posting them if I can't tell you how I look as a way to describe my fitness.

However, I just read your article. When I took the measurements several months ago as #3 described it was determined that I needed to drop 9&rdquo; in my mid section to satisfy Navy standards. Unfortunately, I do not know how this translates to body fat.

holesinpaper
10-19-2012, 02:43
Yet, you're the one posting the pics to look at.

Yeah, but the difference is I don't care about body fat % right now, not to any great degree.

I'm trying to do what Bushflyr was talking about: lift heavy, make real progress. I think he's right. You need to work out less, and lift more weight.

That's the advice I took (from another source) and it has worked well.

You're also probably under eating.

If you're in your mid 30's (no idea if you are), and are about 6', and weigh 300 pounds, and work out as much as you say you do... then maintenance level is around 3500 cal per day. That would make 2500 cal per day the medically advised minimum afaik. (max 1000 calorie deficit).

I'd suggest you Google calorie calculator and plug in the right data to see where you really stand on that. It's counter intuitive, but you might lose fat faster if you eat more.

domin8ss
10-19-2012, 02:56
As I was told, if you can't finish a set at the weight you're lifting then try again next week. Once you can finish that last set at the weight, increase it next week. That's how I'm increasing the weights.

I am working out as much as I say I am. I went to my gym bag and pulled my routine out just so that I could type it up several posts back. What I posted is what I do.

Maybe you're right on the food thing. Since moving this summer I have really tried to focus on portion control. However, since doing so, and the resulting consumption of fewer calories, I am not losing weight as fast as I was prior to moving. Before the move I was dropping about 2.5 lbs/week (I gained a few pounds back because I was living off fast food and stored working out while living in hotels). Right now it is around 1 lb/week. I thought it was because I have less fat to lose and was seeing a noticeable increase in weights I am lifting increasing. I just thought the muscle was increasing slightly faster than the fat I was losing versus prior to moving. I understand how a faster metabolism is necessary to help lose weight. I just thought that came from demanding more from your body by working out.

Btw, I'm 32 and 6'1.

And, I don't get what you mean by ' work out less and lift more weight.' I thought lifting was working out, and vice versa.

Harper
10-19-2012, 07:24
I'm trying to do what Bushflyr was talking about: lift heavy, make real progress. I think he's right. You need to work out less, and lift more weight.

I agree but he doesn't have to go to the other end of the spectrum with a 5x5 routine. That's fine if that's what you want to do but there's no reason 6-12 reps and a couple more sets won't work either. Despite whatever flavor of the month routine is out there top bodybuilders aren't lifting low sets and reps with high weight most of the time. I do agree that domin8ss has way too many sets on those two days and why not lift on friday? You don't need an entire day devoted to just abs.

http://youtu.be/1ZMquBNOosU

Bilbo Bagins
10-19-2012, 07:44
I'd guess 35% body fat. You could drop down to sub 200 lbs. And I mean that in an encouraging sort of way, honest ;)

+1 With all due respect to the guy who posted the picture, but you look like Kevin James my friend. Compared to his "Mall Cop days" he has gotten in "decent shape" for his new movie, but the two of you are no where near 100% fit.
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/10/12/pulse/web_photos/kevin_james--300x450.jpg

After years of working out, I took a break, and now I'm gaining weight and getting a little flabby. I'm 6'2" and I'm having major issues being 220lb.

307lb is not healthy my friend. Keep it going and don't stop.

Bushflyr
10-19-2012, 11:41
Can I see your certifications please? I've had trainers at 2 gyms look at the plan. They like what they see. I've made adjustments where they recommend. My doctor for my last physical approved it.

Who needs certifications? It's those "certified" people who have been pushing the BS that all dietary fat is evil for decades. An idea with no scientific backing that has done more damage to American health and fitness than WW2.

The trainers like what they see because it uses every machine in their facility. Keeps you coming back and paying fees. That routine is something a body builder would use to achieve a look, not to achieve maximum working strength. They do gain strength as a byproduct of their workout, but it's not their primary goal. Your primary goal is losing fat and gaining strength. You need a different regimen.

And of course your doctor approved it. He'd approve anything that got you working out and wasn't going to kill you.

The lab results are in. ldl is lower (was never a problem as it was in range for acceptable). Hdl is going up (was too low). Testosterone had been going up. Weight is down. Cardio is improved. Strength is increased.

That's great. Keep it up. Really.

What more do you have to come at me with? It's not like you are suggesting a solution to something you see as a problem.

I'm not really "coming at you" with anything. I applaud your trying to efforts to get in shape and get healthy.

What I'm "coming at you" for is posting bad advice that's 40 years out of date (and was completely wrong to begin with) like it's gospel and then trying to justify a comparative lack of results by making excuses.

And if you actually bothered to read my posts (which you apparently either didn't or didn't comprehend) I did post suggestions.

In a nutshell: 1. Eat Paleo. I'm not saying it's the be all end all, even completely correct (I had coffee and Butterfingers for breakfast. :supergrin:) but it will get you properly started. Note the "started" part. 2. Drop the body builder routine. Start a strength routine.

Had you bothered to ask a question you would have known my presses and flys started at 10 lbs. V-bar, pulldowns, and rows started around 50. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Yes they do. And that's fine. 3 months ago I had a hard time squatting 120. Now I'm repping 185 and steadily increasing that by 5-7 lbs a week. My goal is 2x bodyweight, full squats all the way into the hole. Similar results on deads, press, bench, rows, pulls, and chins. That's what a strength oriented workout will do for you.

(I gained a few pounds back because I was living off fast food and stored working out while living in hotels).

I spend a ton of time in hotels for work. There's still no reason to eat junk. Typically I find the nearest market and grab a rotisserie chicken and raid the produce section for what ever looks decent. There's also always the locan Asian place. Usually cheaper than McD's and way better for you. Tastes better too. Just avoid the rice and noodles and load up on veggies.

I thought it was because I have less fat to lose and was seeing a noticeable increase in weights I am lifting increasing. I just thought the muscle was increasing slightly faster than the fat I was losing versus prior to moving. I understand how a faster metabolism is necessary to help lose weight. I just thought that came from demanding more from your body by working out.

You've got a start and that's great. You'd just get a lot better results faster by doing things differently. Read "The Primal Blueprint" and "Starting Strength." Do SL5x5. Don't necessarily be dogmatic, but if you do both of those things for 6 months I guarantee you'll see better results than you have in the past 6 years. Once you've got a start then you can figure out how strict you want to be.

Btw, I'm 32 and 6'1.

WAY older than you, you young pup. (I'm almost into geezer territory.) And 5'11. :supergrin:

And, I don't get what you mean by ' work out less and lift more weight.' I thought lifting was working out, and vice versa.

Drop isolation. Do compound lifts. Spend less time in the gym. Get stronger faster.

I agree but he doesn't have to go to the other end of the spectrum with a 5x5 routine.

True. I just do 5x5 because it's simple, fast, and it works. I don't want to spend hours a day lifting hunks of iron when there's playing to be done. I just lift to help me do fun stuff better and keep from getting injured when I crash. Being weak + crashing = injury = no fun while recovering. :crying: Being strong + crashing = fewer injuries = more fun. :cool:

Despite whatever flavor of the month routine is out there top bodybuilders aren't lifting low sets and reps with high weight most of the time.

Don't confuse bodybuilding with weightlifting. Different goals. Different methodology. BBers can be strong, but that's not the goal, just a byproduct.

Mehdi Squatting, Ed Coan Spotting | StrongLifts - YouTube

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A: FULL Video (Official) - YouTube

Crap. I think that was my longest post ever.

holesinpaper
10-19-2012, 12:19
I agree but he doesn't have to go to the other end of the spectrum with a 5x5 routine. That's fine if that's what you want to do but there's no reason 6-12 reps and a couple more sets won't work either. Despite whatever flavor of the month routine is out there top bodybuilders aren't lifting low sets and reps with high weight most of the time. I do agree that domin8ss has way too many sets on those two days and why not lift on friday? You don't need an entire day devoted to just abs.

http://youtu.be/1ZMquBNOosU

I'll never be a body builder. I have no aspirations for that, and if I did it wouldn't work due to the amount of loose skin I have from being formerly obese.

I'll also suspect I'll never be a real weight lifter. I'm dedicated to increasing the amount I lift. Gone up about 25% in 2 months on many exercises. But the brutal fact is I have some chronic issues that will likely hold me back -- but I remain dedicated to pushing myself to my own personal edge on ability.

I understand there's some controversy between bodybuilding and weight lifting. I don't buy into that, just don't care. I just want to be fit ;)

My goals are: increased fitness level, ability and strength. Increased quality of life.

I'm an enthusiastic amateur. I work with a trainer. My knowledge about all this fits on the head of a pin. Ok, maybe slightly more than that but not much ;)

I've been seeing great gains since transitioning from the approach domin8ss uses, to the approach that Bushflyr uses.

I've seen great gains by eating a lot more than I used to.

Adding creatine and protein has helped imho.

I don't do 5x5. I usually do 3-4 sets of between 8-15 reps. Two days a week I try to go real heavy, and on my 3rd day I try to go lighter.

Compound exercises that work the core hard have helped me tremendously.

As with everything on the errornet, YMMV.

You're the one posting the pics to look at. Why bother posting them if I can't tell you how I look as a way to describe my fitness..

Honestly, because it seems like you have two chins and no neck hiding behind that cell phone.

I never said you can't self assess, I just said you should get independent verification.

That's exactly what I need to do myself, to ensure the plan I'm following is correct (well, mostly for peace of mind). I should have gotten a DEXA months ago before I started eating surplus calories, but failing that I'll get one before starting the deficit.

Without knowing the real % I just feel like I'm walking blind. I just hate watching the scale going up, and want confirmation that I'm getting a decent composition/results. On one level I know I am because my ability is so much greater, but my OCD demands data ;)

Glock20 10mm
10-19-2012, 13:29
I stand 6'3" and until I turned 38 I could never get past 180LBs. Nothing I did worked. Then all of a sudden at 38 I stared to pack on weight but it wasn't really fat (a bit of a bubby but nothing out landish) I was packing on bulk muscle. The only thing that changed was my age.

I am stronger now that I have ever been in my life... at least I feel that way. Now I tip the scales at 210lbs. I think a lot of it comes down to genetics and how you fuel your body.

Harper
10-19-2012, 16:33
Don't confuse bodybuilding with weightlifting. Different goals. Different methodology. BBers can be strong, but that's not the goal, just a byproduct.

That's why I brought up bodybuilding. This thread is about body composition not strength.

unit1069
10-19-2012, 16:50
1) The OP and others who say, "Don't expect me to be less weight than ___ ", haven't undergone a triggering event, which may be either a positive (less likely) or negative (more likely) experience. The triggering event takes the subject individual outside his/her long-established comfort zone and focuses the mind on a completely different reality that provides the opportunity to profit from the transient experience.

2) While the mind/body is dealing with the triggering event one can begin changing his/her dietary/activity routine to maximize the opportunity to acquire endurance, flexibility, and strength while simultaneously learning new pathways to nutritional health. Once the subject is past the introductory stage of taste the refreshing qualities of the new, healthier diet choices are undeniable.

3) Once the weight is lost it becomes a fight against returning to bad old habits. The triggering event stage gradually passes and the temptation to resume bad eating and sedentary habits return. Remain alert and determined to stay the course.

saddlebum
10-19-2012, 17:28
you lose wieght at the table,you get fit at the gym. and remember you can't out run a fork

JuneyBooney
10-20-2012, 13:44
I just turned 26. When I was 18, I was a toothpick. I was 5'9 and barely touching 140. Now I'm hovering between 176 and upwards of 180. It doesn't sound like a much and i don't have a twig frame any more but still...

So I started doing some exercise, running just 10 minutes a day (yeah, it's a start, i'd get winded easily)
I started getting more energy, etc. Just from a bit of exercise. My girlfriend runs more than 5 miles every morning, and she's in phenomenal shape..the kind of shape that makes other women angrily jealous when they see her.

But I didn't keep the exercise up and I ate like **** to boot.
Tonight i was at the mall, tried on a pair of jeans...walked in front of that three way mirror and thought, "holy ****, did I get THAT fat?" I was disappointed from what I saw, I'll be honest. It didn't help that I tried on some Canada Goose jackets later, and it didn't fit in medium, and barely fit in large (in my defense they were slim fit). When I was 18, a damn small was sometimes big. :rofl:

It's mostly the physical feeling, and not the look, but I'll admit I like to look good for my girlfriend, and despite not being on the market, look presentable to other women.

But here's my problem: when I get hungry, I REALLY get hungry and can't think of anything else. My blood pressure is optimal, by the way, on the low normal side.

I'm going to exercise more, drink water, but i need to eat healthy food. I already cut sugar from my coffee and switched from cream to milk.

But mostly I need to know about simple foods to prepare at home and bring to work and to campus. My problem is I eat out because I'm so busy, and fast food isn't exactly healthy. But when I get hungry, I eat and eat and eat to quench the hunger and then I feel way too full/sick. I need to stop doing that, that's for sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to bribe myself with a new gun to get the ball rolling...a new gun to be purchased only after I make the changes.

Sorry for making this so long.

Even if you are 150 you need to work out. Slender is no more healthy than 200 or more if you don't work out. I can also tell you that you need upper body strength to protect yourself in a fight. I have seen little guys get stomped by big men. When you grow up you get heavier from inactivity, stress, and working out. But in all honesty, 180-200 is not fat. Running is alos bad for joints so try bike riding.

Nestor
10-20-2012, 16:49
I think it's time to ask for the picture of your girlfriend.
You can post yours as well, just not in the same frame.

ClydeG19
10-20-2012, 16:59
I'll throw in my story, even though no one asked for it. I was 160lbs 1.5 years ago. I'm 6'0, slender build. I had lost weight from not eating much due to depression (infertility). Adopted and snapped out of the funk and started eating. I was lifting very regularly and building up muscle, so at that point, eating wasn't a problem. I knew the weight was good weight. I was hovering around 185. Late last year, I strained a ligament in might right elbow and left knee in separate incidents (the knee was weights) and had to lay off the weights for a while. I didn't change my diet and have been around 195-200 for a while. I started back up in May or so and have been going at it since then. I've had to change up the program often due to my lower back getting stiff/sore for the last 3 months due to over training.

Anyway, I tend to do as much compound lifts as I can, but squats I just don't like doing and deadlifts are out until I build up my hamstrings some more (that why my back is sore...overcomping for weak hamstrings during deadlifts after the layoff).

Day 1:
Bench: still not quite back to where I was, but I can do 6 of 175 in the first set.
Back extensions: just trying to keep the back loose until I can deadlift again
Curls: has always been a weak point of mine (can preacher curl 50's but not standard curls)
Dumbbell Pullovers: 8x75x3

Day 2:
Dumbell Lunges: I just started these in lieu of the leg press.
Seated Calf Raise: probably my best exercise...8x260x3
Leg Curls: both legs 8x170x3
Shin raises: body weight, just to balance out the calf raises and not get shin splints

Day 3:

Military Press: another weak point. I can't seem to break through 95lbs. Part of it has been because of my back and not being able to maintain a stable core.
Weighted situps
Pullups: Usually can do 3 sets...10, 8, and 6. Again, not quite back where I was and the extra 15 lbs probably doesn't help.
Wrist rolls for better grip strength

I'm sure this isn't the optimum routine, but it seems to work for me. I want to get deadlifts back in there when I'm able to do so.

98LS-WON
10-20-2012, 17:23
Get smart on the Glycemic Index of various foods. Eat foods that will keep you feeling full for longer. Once you get to the point of doing a lot of cardio, then you can start thinking about eating the right kind of carbs for energy.

The best thing you can do is make healthy decisions about what you eat. I'm in good shape for a 36 year old guy, I exercise a lot, but I don't diet. I just try and make good decisions, and if I decide to eat a giant bacon cheeseburger, so be it. I'll make sure I eat right for the next couple of days after that. Also, buy a good scale and weight yourself everyday when you get out of bed. You see the pounds coming off, or you notice that what you are doing isn't working and change it. Good luck.

Officer X
10-20-2012, 21:24
Just some things that worked for me,food for thought:

Check out "The Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmekler. Deals with the theory of over/undereating phases throughout the day. Not the "popular" bodybuilding diet, but it worked. He describes how trying to eat 3-6 'meals' per day will actually derail your goals. You never give your body a chance to detoxify or replenish enzymes needed for digestion and allow your glycogen/insulin levels to normalize because you're eating every couple of hours. The theory is, following the over/undereating phases during the day will help your body better utilize protein and vitamins.

Also: " Convict Conditioning". After spending years in the gym trying to lift heavier and heavier, I started following this route. I still can't get to most of the master versions of the exercises but I'm getting a good workout, getting stronger and many of my old nagging injuries aren't as nagging as they used to be.

Both can be found at Amazon.

USMCsilver
10-21-2012, 09:35
http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/2841/9644/28419644.png (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker)
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter (http://www.myfitnesspal.com)

Got a smartphone?

If so, you NEED this app. Seriously. Without it, I wouldn't be doing as good as currently am!!!

Halojumper
10-21-2012, 09:56
http://freefitnessguru.com/images/7713.men-body-fat1.jpg-550x01.jpg

I still guess around 30-35% body fat. That is by definition obese no matter how far you can run, how fast, how much you lift, etc.

Congrats on the progress. Yes you look healthier than a couple years ago. You got more active and lost weight... so keep that up.

How come 15% looks better than 12%?

Harper
10-21-2012, 10:25
How come 15% looks better than 12%?

It's a cartoon and the guy would probably be 5'3" in real life.

cdog533
10-21-2012, 11:11
Dude, I'm 5'9", 225 lbs., and don't consider myself to be fat. I am big but pretty happy with my appearance.

Don't let your worth, and your self-esteem, revolve around some number...

Bensmiata
10-21-2012, 11:45
Me in March = 238 lbs 28% bf. Me this morning = 211.4 lbs 20% bf. How did I do it? Changed my diet, stopped drinking as much and started eating 6-8 small meals a day. I'm 5' 10" tall and 24 years old.

6am 200 calories protein
8am 300 calories protein
1030 200 calories protein
1230 300 calories protein/veggies
245/3pm 200 calories protein
5-6pm 400 calories protein
7-8pm 150 calories protein

At no point during the day am I hungry at all. It's because I'm always eating. I do workout for a minimum of 1-2 hours a day of either cardio or 30 minutes of cardio/hour of weights. It's made a huge difference for me and my goal is 200 pounds in the next two months. Also I drink a lot of water. About 1.5 gallons a day. I'll easily drink 64 oz or more just during my workout. I piss a lot too but that's an acceptable byproduct. This is very easy to do and anyone can do it. It works well for me and it's all about keeping yourself active and being honest with what you eat. Also NO CARBS (bread, potatoes, starches etc). Just meat, vegetables, fruits, 200 calorie protein bars and a ton of water.

holesinpaper
10-21-2012, 12:33
I'm 5' 10" tall and 24 years old.

6am 200 calories protein
8am 300 calories protein
1030 200 calories protein
1230 300 calories protein/veggies
245/3pm 200 calories protein
5-6pm 400 calories protein
7-8pm 150 calories protein

That's 1700 cal.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302493-minimum-calories-per-day-for-men/
Men need to eat far more than 1,300 calories for each day's activities. The Merck Manual of Medical Information estimates that the average sedentary man and average active man need a minimum of 2,000 and 2,400 calories daily, respectively. Weight and age are also factors. The average man weighs 174 lbs. An active 145-lb. man needs about 2,100 calories daily; an active 205-lb. man needs about 2,700. Male senior citizens, though, need about 400 fewer calories daily than average male adults.http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
If you work out 5 times per week, then you need around 2700 to maintain and 2200 to lose.

Going below that means you likely lose significant muscle mass as you lose weight afaik.

If you eat more, you'll likely see better gains in your fitness level -- assuming a good workout regimen.

edited to add: just noticed your work out info. You likely need 3300ish to maintain and 2700 to lose.

You'd need to ramp up the calorie intake slowly to minimize rebound weight gain as you exit starvation mode.

jakebrake
10-21-2012, 12:40
eat 6 times a day. nothing large. it sucks at first. after about 2 weeks, your stomach will shrink (timeframe i went by). your metabolism will perk up.

from feb to september, i had lost so much, people thought i was terminally ill. (92 pounds). exercise is a neccessary evil. don't get stupid about it though. remeber, added weight will make the knees a lot more sensitive to strain. start slow, work up. walking is a great starter.

do NOT live by the scale. it is a surefire ticket to failure.

just going by what helped me.

oh yeah. peanut butter and milk. they no longer exist (they were my kiss of death.)

M&P Shooter
10-21-2012, 12:44
I'm a 6'1" 225 ripped Navy S.E.A.L. when I'm online:cool:

Bensmiata
10-21-2012, 12:56
That's 1700 cal.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302493-minimum-calories-per-day-for-men/
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
If you work out 5 times per week, then you need around 2700 to maintain and 2200 to lose.

Going below that means you likely lose significant muscle mass as you lose weight afaik.

If you eat more, you'll likely see better gains in your fitness level -- assuming a good workout regimen.

edited to add: just noticed your work out info. You likely need 3300ish to maintain and 2700 to lose.

You'd need to ramp up the calorie intake slowly to minimize rebound weight gain as you exit starvation mode.

Throw my stats into the calculator and look at the 'extreme weight loss'. Now what I'm doing is not extreme, but it works for me and I'm within 100 calories of where that calculator says I should be eating for my near term goals. When I get to where I want to be (which is 200 lbs) then I will focus on muscle but for now it's just fat burn. It works for me and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for the useful resources though :wavey:

holesinpaper
10-21-2012, 13:29
Throw my stats into the calculator and look at the 'extreme weight loss'. Now what I'm doing is not extreme, but it works for me and I'm within 100 calories of where that calculator says I should be eating for my near term goals. When I get to where I want to be (which is 200 lbs) then I will focus on muscle but for now it's just fat burn. It works for me and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for the useful resources though :wavey:

Under that calculator with your stats I get between 1937-2040 cal per day as "extreme weight loss." You work out every day, somewhere between normal and intense. So depending on how hard you are really working out, 1700 cal is drastically low.

I did what you did. Now I wish I had done it following more conventional wisdom.

[/broken record] :supergrin:

jpa
10-21-2012, 13:48
I'm a 6'1" 225 ripped Navy S.E.A.L. when I'm online:cool:

According to the BMI calculators 225lbs is overweight bordering on obesity. So you're a fatass SEAL. :rofl: :tongueout: :wavey: :supergrin: