Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime

Padre
10-18-2012, 01:51
It begins.....:steamed:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/18/chicago-gun-violence-tax/1640707/

frizz
10-18-2012, 02:10
"You can't make decisions based on the basis of whether or not somebody's going to sue you or then you'll never do anything"

Potential litigation is a concern for any person with a brain when making a decision. She doesn't seem concerned about the legality of this tax, either.

Atlas
10-18-2012, 03:22
... She doesn't seem concerned about the legality of this tax, either.

What would be the legal implications of a tax on ammo?

I believe a massive tax on ammo will be imposed as an end-run around the 2nd Amendment in the years to come.

The government and courts are too corrupted to see it for what it is and recognize such a tax as a de facto infringement on the 2nd.

With the Supreme Court decision regarding the "health care" legislation, taxation explicitly and specifically as social control has been legitimized in the eyes of the public at large.

JBnTX
10-18-2012, 04:28
I believe a massive tax on ammo will be imposed as an end-run around the 2nd Amendment in the years to come.

You're right. A big tax on the sale of both guns and ammo would be an effective alternative to anti-gun legislation.

And would have just about the same effect on crime.
That is, zero effect on crime.

Psychman
10-18-2012, 04:39
I better check to make sure I have enough reloading components on hand!!

IGotIt
10-18-2012, 06:20
Preckwinkle (say that three times really fast), quotes in the article "The legal gun shops in suburban Cook County are a conduit for crimes in Chicago. There's no way around it."

When was the last time you were in a local gun shop standing in line to buy ammo and gang thugs were there making purchases?

This farce is being perpetrated on citizens in an attempt to further the liberals cause to remove firearms from their constituents, and also causing hardship on the law abiding gunshops and gun dealers in Cook County and the State of Illinois.

Enact more laws or allow police to vigorously enforce the laws already on the books directed at the cause of the problem which are the useless dregs on society. Constant police presence in the affected areas will not stop the violence, but it will put a damper on it.

SC Tiger
10-18-2012, 06:29

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/18/chicago-gun-violence-tax/1640707/

Ok, for anyone who still doesn't understand how someone could be dumb enough to vote for Obama ...

Arc Angel
10-18-2012, 06:39
Correct me if I'm wrong; but, I do believe the U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled that it is illegal for government to use the power of taxation to either punish people or restrict private enterprise.

If you want something to really worry about may I suggest the growing power of the President to issue, 'executive orders'. Roosevelt started doing this during the Second World War. Later on Nixon picked up the ball and began running, pell-mell, with it. (The Constitution be damned!)

Ever since the Clinton Administration, the American presidency has been issuing a veritable flood of constitutionally unjustified, 'executive orders' which - when you come right down to it - give the American President effective and so far unchallenged dictatorial authority.

(But, I guess there's nothing to really worry about - Huh!)

hamster
10-18-2012, 06:44
Correct me if I'm wrong; but, I do believe the U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled that it is illegal for government to use the power of taxation to either punish people or restrict private enterprise

That would be news to smokers.

mgs
10-18-2012, 06:45
Yea....the honest citizen has to pay for the crappy job they have done controlling crime in their city.

MtBaldy
10-18-2012, 07:01
I clicked on the link just to see what she looked like........I was right.

certifiedfunds
10-18-2012, 07:04
Why not just cut to the chase and tax crime directly?

2-8 Marine
10-18-2012, 07:06
You're right. A big tax on the sale of both guns and ammo would be an effective alternative to anti-gun legislation.
And would have just about the same effect on crime.
That is, zero effect on crime.

Add just another way to get their hands in your pockets . . . 2 birds, 1 stone.

JBnTX
10-18-2012, 07:08
I clicked on the link just to see what she looked like........I was right.

I did the same thing.
I was right too!

:rofl:

Bullwinkle J Moose
10-18-2012, 07:08
I'd think a heavy tax on the births of out-of-wedlock babies would be more effective at taking criminals off the street, but hey, it's Chicago. They don't want to reduced crime, just reduce the number of Democrats getting shot when they commit them.

TheExplorer
10-18-2012, 07:10
That will work about as well as the increased cigarette tax.

GAFinch
10-18-2012, 07:30
This has nothing to do with crime. A disarmed citizen is a subject.

Arc Angel
10-18-2012, 07:59
That would be news to smokers.

Yes, I see what you're saying. I was thinking of THIS (http://www.thefreemanonline.org/features/the-power-to-tax-is-the-power-to-destroy/)

The thought has also occurred to me that punitive damages are NOT the same thing as punitive taxation. Interesting question! I do not think it can be decided on the Internet. ;)

Sveke
10-18-2012, 08:04
Reminds me of Chris Rocks bit on how bullets should cost $5000 each. Haha

Morons.

Why can't there be better people to choose from for politicians?

It's dumb or dumber. Lose lose for everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kawabuggy
10-18-2012, 08:35
Misdirection is what this is. Wouldn't mandatory birth control for all who are on government support be a better solution? Of course we would not see the positive results until 10-20 years from now while the current thugs die off, or are incarcerated where they can't reproduce. That would END the cycle permanently as opposed to just making the new generation of thugs use a different weapon such as bats, or knives, or automobiles, or fists.

Why not FIX the problem instead of just hampering the rest of the law abiding citizens?

That begs the question, if it were mandatory that all who receive government support be on birth control, or be rendered sterile, how long would it take for the numbers on support to come down? If no future generations of entitlement babies are being born, wouldn't the #'s of people on support drop? Wouldn't this solve a lot of the problems we are having with violent crime, prison over-crowding, & too many people living off the government? Yes. I think so. I know Democrats will lose votes as a result, but what is more important padding the pockets of crooked politicians, or doing what is best for the country? I know, you'll never separate a crooked politician from the tax payers money. I was just trying to think positively for once.

Ultimately, I think controlling the birth rates of future thugs/entitlement babies will have the greatest impact on fixing all of the problems we face today with crime. Also, stopping the influx, and immediately deporting, all illegals. I know it's not politically correct to say these things out loud, but tell me I'm wrong.

certifiedfunds
10-18-2012, 08:43
Misdirection is what this is. Wouldn't mandatory birth control for all who are on government support be a better solution? Of course we would not see the positive results until 10-20 years from now while the current thugs die off, or are incarcerated where they can't reproduce. That would END the cycle permanently as opposed to just making the new generation of thugs use a different weapon such as bats, or knives, or automobiles, or fists.

Legalized abortion has done a lot to reduce crime.

JMS
10-18-2012, 10:34
How about life in prison (out of state) with no parole for any gun offenses? If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious, do I shoot him or save .05 cents? What to do, what to do....

Why politicians continually go after law abiding citizens while turning a blind eye to criminals is beyond me, white collar criminals (politicians) protecting their voter block?

GAFinch
10-18-2012, 10:41
Legalized abortion has done a lot to reduce crime.

Possibly, but the drop in crime also coincided with the adoption of concealed carry laws in a lot of states.

Sveke
10-18-2012, 10:47
I'm certainly not paying for some hood rats birth control pills. F that!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mixflip
10-18-2012, 10:55
I have a feeling making ammo super expensive to keep street thugs from shooting their illegally obtained guns isnt going to reduce crime what so ever. Are they assuming thugs cant afford the ammo or are too cheap?

If anything, it will create a black market for stolen ammo that will be sold face to face on the streets or on craigslist type sites.

OrangePwr9
10-18-2012, 11:02
Nuts! This thread will send me on another ammo buying spree. This is getting expensive.

Actually, now that the SCOTUS has ruled that citizens can be forced to buy insurance, I'm expecting a requirement to have liability insurance on each of our firearms much the same as we do on our automobiles.

Mandatory insurance is a much more sophisticated way to rob people than a mere tax on bullets. People can cast their own bullets.

Sure, we'll be able to own all the guns we want, but $200 a year for liability insurance per gun would certainly reduce the size of my collection.

Bilbo Bagins
10-18-2012, 12:32

And its from Chicago, Its a Rob Emamuel, Obama conspiracy:steamed:

It begins???

I'm guessing you never been to Tennessee

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN0soQmEbiJe7Hw6E_Psx1bt2664w-aa1A2MwopvB6qV_7KTRJoY0JXrmo-g

http://www.mouseguns.com/wmammo.jpg

Glock20 10mm
10-18-2012, 14:25
I did the same thing.
I was right too!

Didn't have to click the link to know I was right... but I did anyhow and I was right!

wjv
10-31-2012, 17:34
Chicago's Cook County drops bullet tax, keeps gun levy

"It is very important to us to tax guns because we know that guns are the sources of the incredible violence we have in our neighborhoods," Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle told a news conference. She said 29 percent of guns used in crimes in Chicago were purchased legally in suburban Cook County. :steamed: :steamed:

And here I thought is was uneducated, dumb **** thugs and gang members who were the sources of the incredible violence. Stupid me. . .

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/chicagos-cook-county-drops-bullet-tax-keeps-gun-221122419.html

JMS
10-31-2012, 19:35
Chicago's Cook County drops bullet tax, keeps gun levy

"It is very important to us to tax guns because we know that guns are the sources of the incredible violence we have in our neighborhoods," Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle told a news conference. She said 29 percent of guns used in crimes in Chicago were purchased legally in suburban Cook County. :steamed: :steamed:

And here I thought is was uneducated, dumb **** thugs and gang members who were the sources of the incredible violence. Stupid me. . .

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/chicagos-cook-county-drops-bullet-tax-keeps-gun-221122419.html

The other 71% came directly from the ATF.

janice6
10-31-2012, 19:39
Chicago's solution of a bullet tax will only work if the Chicago police make unwarranted stops and searches to check for contraband bullets. Trade in your rights from illegal search and seizure. Welcome to Chicago, get up against the wall.

Eric
10-31-2012, 19:48
Rather than a bullet tax, I'd like to propose some sort of bullet rebate. For every bullet a criminal fires, we fire one back to him. Hell, let's make it a two-for-one special. Enough of this eye for an eye crap. Shoot a man illegally once and the state will shoot you twice. Shoot him twice and we will shoot you three times. And kick your dog. Eric