Adams arms melonite barrel?????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adams arms melonite barrel??????

Mr.Pliskin
10-18-2012, 07:09
Ive been looking for a 14.5 chrome lined barrel for a build I want to do for a little while now. My price point that that I would have liked to stay under was $200, but after searching and finding nothing I was about to just plunk the extra 50-75 on a Daniel Defense barrel. (Not that much I know but Ive spent all my disposable income on ammo and classes for the upcoming year and I an trying to save where I can).

While in my last searches I found someone talking about adams arms' 14.5 melonited barrel, so I looked up the company (I've only bought DD and colt barrels for my builds) and they say some pretty impressive stuff aobut these barrels.. Not only that but my local "AR" shop is pretty much only ordering the melonite coated rifles anymore.

Are any of these ultra high round count barrel stories true? How do they hold up to other barrels chrome in respects to barrel wear, throat erosion and steel quality?

Unk
10-18-2012, 10:05
Melonite is a name for salt bath nitride..basically a case hardening finish that resists wear and does not rust. I have a M4gery that came with that finish on a CMMG bargain bin rifle.

Was Googling around and found that Boeing was using the process on a ultra-high volume fire aircraft cannon barrel under development.

Melonite and Tennifer are trade names for their processes.

Don't know if any one is better than the other but I'm happy with Tennifer and nitride coatings on firearms owned.

Best.

plouffedaddy
10-18-2012, 13:22
Most of S&W's 5R barrels are nitrided/melonited. You'll likely find more info on those barrels than the AA barrels. Some S&W barrels are 4140 vs 4150 (varies by mode) so take that into account as well.

My guess is that we'll see more melonited barrels in the future. They offer similiar corrosion resistance to chrome and don't have the potential for flaking/chipping/thickness variation that chrome barrels have. That said, my ARs are chrome lined :supergrin:

Mayhem like Me
10-18-2012, 14:07
My ACR barrel has the same finish, im trying to shoot it out so I can use the attachments to make a proper 1x7 for it and SBR,,, I have about 8 K through it and it still holds tight 10 shot circular groups at about 1.5 1.75 inches with winchester white.

Mayhem like Me
10-19-2012, 18:30
I'm getting ready to try one of those Voodoo adams arms melonite barrels..I will let you know.