Hunting question.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting question....

OregonG20
10-18-2012, 09:40
When guys hunt big animals with a bow, like elk, moose or bear, are they most often looking for a complete pass through? When hunting with hardcast lead, are they looking to accomplish the same thing?

I'm not looking to start a "bear" thread, god knows we don't need another one of those. I'm curious as to what you think you could hunt with a 10mm using hardcast in the 180gr - 200gr range with a 6 or 6 1/2 barrel? Of course, lets assume it's loaded in the upper spectrum of power.

ctious
10-18-2012, 10:02
With hardcast at high speed I would hunt everything but the largest animals in na. I would not hunt moose or Brown bear. Elk I would with limitations. Everything else in a heart beat. I am sure the 10 mm could safely take moose and a brown bear. I am just not going to be the one to do it.

If your using jacket. I would limit to deer size game. Anything larger and a jhp just does not get deep enough for a clean kill. IMO

B.Reid
10-18-2012, 10:23
I have killed 2 Mule deer with fmj 10mm loads, they pass through. I see no advantage to cast bullets. I have not tried HP's yet but I may this year, I use 180-200 grain bullets in my 10mm loads.

nickE10mm
10-18-2012, 14:47
I've killed three deer in my life with a 10mm. All have been with the 200gr XTP at various speeds.

The first was a DoubleTap 200gr XTP @ 1125-1150fps (actual chrono speed) from a 5" Razorback. Range, 15y. Deer range a short ways and collapsed. Full pass through.

The second was a DoubleTap 200gr XTP @ 1125-1150fps (actual chrono speed) from the same 5" Razorback. Range, 25y. Deer dropped like a stone. Found bullet on far side under skin.

The third was a handloaded 200gr XTP @ 1300fps from my 6" Fusion longslide. Range, 5-7 yards. Deer went down right away and died shortly thereafter. Found XTP lodged in its spinal column IIRC. NOT a pass through.

As you can see, there will be times when your shot isn't perfect. When that time comes, if you miss the double-lung shot you're shooting for, bad things happen (ie, bullets that don't pass thru completely) ... and while I think the 10mm did a good job on all three deer, I'll be using WFN hardcast this year at 1300fps plus. If I hit a bone, I want to smash it and I want the bullet to keep on going, out the other side.

The XTP or Gold Dots will work GREAT if your shot is perfect... and sometimes if its not. The hardcast will always make it through... and I like that about hardcast.