Need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help

MississipVol
10-18-2012, 14:35
I went in yesterday and purchased a VooDoo case for my fairly new Colt. I decided I would check out the optics while I was in there.

I am currently saving for an optic and had been leaning toward a Burris MTAC 1-4X24. I thought the variable power would help because I don't have the greatest vision (right handed but left eye dominant as well - shoot off left shoulder).

However, the salesman really had me digging a EOTech L-3 OPMOD EXPS2 Holographic Sight. It would basically be the same price as the Burris since I have to get a mount for it.

While I like the extra magnification the Burris gives me, I REALLY like a lot of things about the EOTech - durability, quicker target acquition, paralax free, and even the way it looks on the rifle.

The guy at the counter said, since I will hardly ever be shooting beyond 100 yards, the EoTech might be a better option for me.

Only thing - I am worried I will regret getting it because the Burris offers the magnification which MAY make it easier to shoot to extended targets.

So what should I do based on what I will be doing with the rifle - almost exclusively range shooting up to 100 yds, a potential home defense weapon, and very occasional short-range deer hunting?

faawrenchbndr
10-18-2012, 14:37
I'd get the scope.......I have a Leupold 1.5-4, LOVE it!
The counter guy may just be trying to "up sale" you.

K. Foster
10-18-2012, 15:32
You set your priorities Range shooting, then Home defense, then Hunting. If this were primarily a HD gun, I’d say Aimpoint or EO. If it’s primarily range shooting / general purpose, as you indicated, I’d go with the MTAC.

bmoore
10-18-2012, 16:06
+1 to K. Foster. Get whatever one YOU want. If its gonna be for self defesne I would lean towards the EOTech or an Aimpoint. If its gonna be for the range and all different kinds of shooting including longer range fun stuff go with the 1-4, I have heard great things about them.

I have an EOTech EXPS-2, I love it. It is a very well made optic that was worth the money.

MrMurphy
10-18-2012, 17:46
He's a salesman.

I flat out refused to sell Eotechs to people in more than one case when asked my opinion. If they really wanted one, i'd sell it, but i did not recommend them.

For your stated purposes the variable will do well. An Aimpoint or Eotech is not a tiny-group shooter, it's a fast accurate hit maker.

Cole125
10-18-2012, 20:08
I suggest staying with your original idea and getting the Burris MTAC 1-4x. I am a big fan of Burris scopes, great optics for the money.

I have a TAC30 1-4x(similar to MTAC) on one of my rifles and in 1x mode its nearly as fast as a red dot, and I would not hesitate to use the setup for HD/SD.

Cole125
10-18-2012, 20:11
Also there is the Burris combo package; MTAC, mount, and Fastfire red dot on top for the best of both worlds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/547415/burris-mtac-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-ballistic-cq-reticle-with-fastfire-ii-red-dot-and-pepr-mount-matte

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/primary/547/547415.jpg

arushus
10-19-2012, 08:53
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-1-4x24-fullfield-tac30-illum-ballistic-cq-5-56-riflescope.html

This is a slightly cheaper alternative, same brand and everything, that offers, more or less, the same features.

I really want this type of setup but with a 2-8x or 3-9x scope...With the red dot sight on top, you can utilize it for closer targets, so something with higher magnification would be better in this setup, IMO.

I think a 2-8x scope with the Burris Fastfire II on top is the perfect setup for an AR chambered in 5.56x45mm!

SCSU74
10-19-2012, 09:14
I can't think of any reason I would ever pick an eotech if given the option. If you are wanting a 1x red dot I would choose aimpoint every time. If you end up wanting magnification you can always add a 3x magnifier. It is hard to beat the aimpoint pro in terms of value and performance

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Fwdftw
10-19-2012, 10:37
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-1-4x24-fullfield-tac30-illum-ballistic-cq-5-56-riflescope.html

This is a slightly cheaper alternative, same brand and everything, that offers, more or less, the same features.

I really want this type of setup but with a 2-8x or 3-9x scope...With the red dot sight on top, you can utilize it for closer targets, so something with higher magnification would be better in this setup, IMO.

I think a 2-8x scope with the Burris Fastfire II on top is the perfect setup for an AR chambered in 5.56x45mm!

Buy what scope you want and do a offset RDS mount.

Cole125
10-19-2012, 20:15

The Burris TAC30 is a OUTSTANDING scope for the money. Very clear optics, wide field of view, and great reticle.

There is no better optic you can buy for your AR, for three bills IMO.

arushus
10-20-2012, 14:13
Buy what scope you want and do a offset RDS mount.

Ive considered this option, but I really dont like the offset setup. Im thinking Ill get a higher power scope and use the buris PEPR mount with the rails on too and mount a fastfire to it that way...