If you were buying a reloading setup today....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If you were buying a reloading setup today.......

SC_Dave
10-18-2012, 20:31
Which brand and model would it be. I'm in the market and need some suggestion please. I will be primarily reloading 9mm and .223. Thanks in advance for advice and help.
David

mingaa
10-18-2012, 20:37
I bought a Lee 4 turret setup in Sept. for the same reason I would today - my financial situation is not great, it's time to start reloading and the Lee CAN get the job done. If I were flush I might go a different way but, welcome to life. I'm doing 9 and 40 now and just about have my competition rounds figured out - 223 dies are in the mail.

SARDG
10-18-2012, 20:45
If you were buying a reloading setup today....... Which brand and model would it be.

David
How much you wanna spend? How many gazillion of each caliber will you need each year? Have you read the pertinent Stickies?

SC_Dave
10-18-2012, 20:48
How much you wanna spend? How many gazillion of each caliber will you need each year? Have you read the pertinent Stickies?

I have read the stickies just wantin opinions.
$300-$500
David

F106 Fan
10-18-2012, 20:55
It's not really possible to give any advice without some discussion of quantity.

Quantity is related to two aspects of reloading. First, if you load a lot of ammo, you save a lot of money and you should consider investing in better equipment from the outset. Second, if you load a lot of ammo, you won't want a slow press. There's always some relationship between equipment price and rounds/per hour.

At the low end of production (say 250 rounds per hour), the Lee Classic Turret from Kempf's with the extra Pro Autodisk powder measure gets good comments. DO NOT buy the version offered by others. IF you are interested in a press that costs about $200, read this paragraph CAREFULLY. Others have strayed and have had to spend extra money to get back on path.

In the middle of production (say 450-500 rounds per hour) is the Dillon 550. It is the workhorse of the reloading community. It is always a good way to start. This is probably the most recommended press. It's easy to use and extremely flexible.

Next up is the Dillon 650 and it will set you back about $1000 for a fully loaded press with case feeder and one caliber. But you can crank out 1000 rounds per hour!

Then things get really overpriced with the Dillon 1050. A little faster than the 650 but it has the advantage of a primer pocket swaging station.

I don't have, nor have I ever seen, an LCT. I do have a couple of 550s, a 650 and a 1050.

If I thought that a high percentage of my brass, either .223 or 9mm, was going to be crimped, I would opt for the 1050. I know it is expensive but it also doesn't require that I inspect every piece of brass I reload.

If I was in a hurry and wasn't overly price sensitive, the 650 is a great choice.

Finally, if I was really trying to start on a reasonable budget, the 550 would do it.

There is no way in the world I would buy the LCT. It takes 4 handle pulls to produce a single round. That is just too slow for me to consider.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum. A lot of thought has gone into them.

Richard

F106 Fan
10-18-2012, 20:57
$300-$500
David

You can ALMOST get started with a Dillon 550 for $500. The press is $439 and you need a $70 scale plus some odds and ends.

Richard

ron59
10-18-2012, 20:59
550 at the minimum, 650 if you can swing it.

M24C
10-18-2012, 21:39
I would get if I could swing it. 650 Dillon, Minimum 550 Dillon. I own the 550.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

countrygun
10-18-2012, 23:17
I am a fan of the Lee classic turret for a lot of reasons.

It isn't intimidating and it is a bit easier for a beginner to understand. It can produce a useful quantity of ammo for the time involved. My suggestion would be to upgrade from the scale that comes with the kit however. The Lee works fine but it takes a little time to get used to it and it is slow in use. If you are not adding calibers or changing loads or powders very often it is fine to check the auto disk with.

I am not a big fan of a beginner trying to make ammo as fast as they can in the first place. Neither do I think a beginner needs to go way over his intended budget to make good ammo. In experienced hands a Lee Classic turret can make around 200 rds/hr. You have to decide if that isn't fast enough for your shooting and whether you can afford the components to shoot more than you can make on that press.

Murphy's Law
10-19-2012, 05:45
No brainer, Dillon 550B should easily handle the quantity. Couple this with the no "BS" warranty and you can't go wrong IMHO.

HexHead
10-19-2012, 05:52
Just get the 550b and call it a day. You're going to end up wanting one anyway. If money's a real object, get the BL550. It's a stripped down version and you can always add the primer system and powder measure later, upgrading it to a full 550. It's about $250. You can even use a Lee Pro Auto Disc powder drop with it.

shotgunred
10-19-2012, 05:55
Note I worte this several years ago so the prices have changed.

I have been asking experienced reloaders questions about their presses and their reloading habits. I find it interesting that the average person loads in short burst. They average 30 to 60 minutes at a time. This seems to hold true weather the person is a competition shooter or a plinker. That leads me to believe that the mast majority of reloaders buy way more press than they really need. As one person pointed out with a Dillon 550 you can load 250 rounds in half an hour and you did just that every day Monday through Friday that’s still 1250 rounds a week. Very few people shoot that many rounds a week on a regular basis. I have shot that many rounds in a weekend but only because I went to a class. I certainly don’t need that much out put every week. Even a Lee classic turret press will yield 500 round a week with that schedule. Am I suggesting that everyone buy a Lee classic turret press? NO But 75% or more of shooters could get by with one if they had to. There is a saying in the racing industry. Speed cost money haw fast do want to spend? The same is true in the reloading industry. The faster you want to go the more it is going to cost you. Thankfully the costs for reloading are tiny compared to racing. Also a quality reloading press can last you a lifetime. Spending $500 to $1000 dollars on a reloading machine doesn’t seem so expensive when you realize that in 10 years you only spent $50 To $100 dollars a year for that machine. Also in the case of Dillons they hold there value. If you decide to sell your reloader you can expect to get 75% to 90% of current market value back on your purchase.
Case feeders are something to think about even if you don’t want one when you first start to reload. A case feeder will greatly increases your hourly production. Not all Case feeders are made equal. The lee is the least expensive and versatile. The 550 Case feeder was an afterthought. It works on pistol cases only. The 650 1050 and LNL all have similar functioning units that load both pistol and rifle cartages. These case feeders can increases your output 40% or more. The new low cost Hornady bullet feeder has the potential to increases these press another 40% or more. While it can be installed on a four station press you have to give up something else to make it work. Both of these products are reasons to look harder at the 5 station press instead of the 4 station presses. The Hornady LNL and the Billon 650 should both be capable of production rate over 1000 rounds an hour with a case feeder and a bullet feeder.
The Presses
Lee Pro 1000

Some people have fairly good luck with them and swear by them. Most people just swear at them. If you want a cheap press and like to constantly tinker with a press then a Lee Pro 1000 might be right for you. There are more negatives than positives reviews on the web about them. I know one guy that swears by his. I have never used one myself.
. One Hour Production Rate 300
Cost $143.99 12 2010

Lee Classic turret press

If you are going to look at a Lee turret press only look at the Classic. It’s not a progressive press and you have to pull the handle 4 times for each round. It’s slow, it’s cheap, it works. If you are on a tight budget it will give you more production for the same price as a lot of single stage presses.
One Hour Production Rate 200
Cost $94.99 12 2010

The Dillon Square Deal

The Dillon Square Deal is a pistol caliber only press... no bottle neck cartridges.. The Dillon Square Deal uses proprietary Dillon dies so you won't be able to use any dies you might already own. If you want to change calibers you have to buy more Square Deal proprietary dies for it. The Dillon Square Deal has a small footprint which is a benefit if you are limited on bench space but a detriment if you have big fingers. The Dillon Square Deal is the least expensive of the Dillon press line. If you are sure you are only going to load one or two pistol cartridge then this might be the press for you.
One Hour Production Rate 400 - 500
Cost $365.95 12 2010

The Dillon RL550B
RL550B is manual-indexing four station progressive press. The Dillon RL550B is the workhorse Dillon press line. It can load almost any center fire rifle or pistol cartridge. It has 120 caliber conversions available for it. In the Dillon line the Dillon RL550B is the most economical add calibers to. It has less expensive caliber conversions than other Dillon presses. If you were buying just one Dillon press and wanted the most bang for the buck, it would be a Dillon RL550B. According to Dillon more RL550s have been sold than any other progressive machine in the world.
One Hour Production Rate 400 - 500
Cost $376.00 12 2010

The Dillon XL650
The XL 650 is auto-indexing five station progressive press. The XL 650 was built from the ground up to be an auto-indexing press with a case feeder. The Dillon XL650 comes standard with a tube system for an automatic case feeder. The automatic case feeder is sold separately So the advertised starting price doesn’t accurately reflect the true price of a Dillon XL650. A fully set up Dillon XL650 cost twice what a Dillon RL550B cost but produces twice as much ammo an hour. The caliber conversions for the Dillon XL650 are noticeably more expensive than the RL550B and the LNL. For large volume reloading, versatility and ease of use a Dillon XL650 is hard to beat.
One Hour Production Rate 800 – 1150
Cost $ $544.95 bullet feeder $212.95 .12 2010

The Super 1050 B
The Super 1050 B is the king of the Dillon line. It is designed for commercial use and not normally in the running for what press should I buy. If you need it you know you need it.
One Hour Production Rate 1200 +
Cost $1589.95 12 2010
Hornady Lock N Load AP
The Lock-N-Load AP is an auto-indexing, 5-station progressive press that features the Lock-N-Load bushing system, which allows calibers to be changed very quickly. The Lock-N-Load is the cheapest press to equip with additional caliber conversions. During Automatic Indexing Each station moves 1/2 a stage on the upstroke and 1/2 a stage on the down stroke and the up stroke, making for a smoother function. This means less chance of flinging powder out of cases. The Lock-N-Load AP can be used with or without a case feeder. This allows you to start at a Dillon 550B price but to upgrade to a Dillon XL650 speed press at a later date. The earlier editions of this press were known to have issues and were more in line with Lee quality presses. With the new generation of presses Hornady is trying to go head to head with Dillon including matching their warranty.
One Hour Production Rate 500 with case feeder 800.
Cost $ $381.99 bullet feeder 279.99. 12 2010

The Warranty
lee reloading products are guaranteed not to wear out or break from normal use for two full years or they will be repaired or replaced at no charge if returned to the factory. Any LEE product of current manufacture, regardless of age or condition, will be reconditioned to new—including a new guarantee—if returned to the factory with payment equal to half the current retail price.

Hornady Warranty “We guarantee every one of our reloading tools and accessories for Life” No-Risk, Lifetime Warranty. Hornady reloading tools and accessories are warranted against material defects and workmanship for the life of the products. Parts which by nature of their function are subject to normal wear such as springs, pins, bearings, etc… and, parts which have been altered, abused, or neglected are excluded for the warranty.
If the product is deemed defective by either workmanship or material, the reloading tool or accessory will either be repaired, reconditioned or replaced at Hornady Manufacturing Company’s option. If it breaks, we’ll repair it or replace it at no charge.
Dillon precision No warranty cards, registration or serial numbers are necessary. Whether you are the first owner, or the seventeenth, all our hobby-level reloading machines have a lifetime warranty. If you break, damage or wear out anything on them, it will be fixed or replaced – whatever is necessary to restore the machine to normal operating condition. If a minor part is all that is needed, contact us and we will ship the part. If something major is damaged or broken, contact us and we issue the customer a return merchandise authorization-RMA- to return the item to us for repair. The customer pays the shipping; we fix or replace as is warranted.
I rate the warrantees from worst to best Lee, Hornady, Dillon. Both the Hornady and Dillon have excellent warrantees. The difference is that Dillon will also warrantee consumables. Hornady has been doing this lately also but it isn’t in there written warrantee. Lastly Dillon will even completely rebuild a press to new condition for a small fee. They don’t care if you are the original owner or if you found it in a garbage can. They still honor their warrantee.

So which reloading press is right for you? That depends…
How much ammo you are going to make a month average?
What is your budget?
How much time do you have to reload?
How many different calibers do you want to reload?
Here is my personal picks.
You only load 1 pistol caliber and you just want to knock it out fast.
The Dillon Square Deal
Budget of $300 or less…… Lee Classic turret press
Budget $300 to $600 …. Dillon 550

Budget over $600 with more than 4 calibers…. Hornady Lock N Load AP with bullet feeder.
Budget over $800 with 3 calibers…… Dillon XL650
Budget doesn’t matter with 1 caliber …. The Super 1050 B
You only want to buy one press to last for the rest of your life regardless of what you want or how many calibers you reload….. Dillon RL550B
http://www.leeprecision.com/
http://www.hornady.com/reloading

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

BuckyP
10-19-2012, 06:12
My Dillon XL650 has well over 300K through it. Admittedly, it's all handgun rounds, no .223, though someday I may go that route too. Had the press since 1996. If starting from scratch today, I wouldn't change a thing. I know it's above your price range, but well worth it if you can swing it. Obviously, mine's paid for itself many times over.

droptrd
10-19-2012, 06:13
Right now Hornady has great deals on complete reloading kits. The Lock N Load single stage press is a great solid press. Also the RCBS Rock Chucker.

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2012, 06:57
Just get the 550 and be done with it. I assume you have the rest of the stuff. Scale etc. If you don't then the answer is different I guess.

cajun_chooter
10-19-2012, 07:20
i load for 9mm ... 223... & 45.. i bought the Dillion 650

if you buy a Dillion... shop around for the "extras" like dies, powder scale, bullet gauges, tumbler/vibrator cleaners and things like that.. i find Dillion too expensive on their "extras"

Billspider
10-19-2012, 07:38
Go to ebay and get a used Dillon 550B.

Hoser
10-19-2012, 07:39
I would get a DIllon 550 and call it good. Very easy press to learn on and crank out some good ammo.

Even though I have a few Dillon 1050s, I still use my 550s.

Boxerglocker
10-19-2012, 07:45
All I load is 9mm and .223 on a XL650... 2-3K total a month.

I agree with F106 Fan you really need to know quantity requirements and balance your budget. That being said, if I was back at square one... I would start with a 550B along with a decent SS for .223 brass sizing, a WFT in .223 and Dillon super swage.

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2012, 07:47
Go to ebay and get a used Dillon 550B.

A lot easier sad then done. They normally cost way too much on eBay.

F106 Fan
10-19-2012, 08:05
i load for 9mm ... 223... & 45.. i bought the Dillion 650

if you buy a Dillion... shop around for the "extras" like dies, powder scale, bullet gauges, tumbler/vibrator cleaners and things like that.. i find Dillion too expensive on their "extras"

Most quality beam scales are more expensive than the Dillon Eliminator.

The Dillon pistol dies cost at least twice as much as the cheaper Lee dies. And, with the features they provide, and nodody else does, they are worth every penny! Especially when lead bullets are involved.

I'm not in the race to the bottom in terms of price.

Dillon might be the only manufacturer of carbide rifle dies. Since rifle cases will have to be lubed, I'm not sure what carbide brings to the dance. Nevertheless, I bought a set for .223 which I load on a 650.

Vibrators or tumblers can come from anywhere. That said, I have the large Dillon because I sometimes tumble in large quantity.

I don't know that there is a vibrant market in case gauges. They are certainly necessary and I just added them to another Dillon order. No big deal one way or another.

allen13
10-19-2012, 09:47
I bought my Dillon 550 back when they were $379 and have never regretted it. It works excellent and quickly. The quick change is a huge plus also. I love not having to reset everything. I check the powder levels & specs on a regular basis and have had no issues.I did just get an RCBS Rock Chucker to start reloading for my large rifle rounds. I don’t need to make too many of them each time. I have not yet set it up though. It has an excellent reputation also. Do they actually make bad reloading equipment these days? I don’t think you would have any issues with RCBS, Dillon, LEE, Hornady..... Given so many people use them on a regular basis.

SC_Dave
10-19-2012, 10:12
I can't thank you guys enough for all of this usefull information!!
David

judgecrater
10-21-2012, 09:58
I can't thank you guys enough for all of this usefull information!!
David
Dillon all the way. I have a pair of them.

F106 Fan
10-21-2012, 10:22
did just get an RCBS Rock Chucker to start reloading for my large rifle rounds. I don’t need to make too many of them each time.

For your next iteration on rifle presses, consider the Redding T7 Turret Press. I had been using a pair of RCBS single stage presses but I replaced them with the T7.

The advantage is that I can have all of the dies set on a single toolhead.

Body die
Neck sizing die
Powder funnel
Bullet seating die
Universal decapping die
Collet bullet puller
Case comparator

At the moment, I have toolheads for .308 and 6.5x284 Norma. I'll be adding a toolhead for .223 in the near future.

I really like this setup!

Richard

dla
10-21-2012, 10:34
Which brand and model would it be. I'm in the market and need some suggestion please. I will be primarily reloading 9mm and .223. Thanks in advance for advice and help.
David

If I had the $ I would get a Dillion 650. If I couldn't save up the $, then I would get the Lee Classic Turret.

17&27
10-21-2012, 21:31
Gonna be adding a Hornady LNL progressive in a week or two.
I've been using a Lee Pro 1000 for over 20 years and it has been great. I can't believe all the people who can't use them proficiently.
I want the Hornady because it is tiring on my eyes to visually check the powder in each case these days so I want to be able to use a powder check die. Figured while I'm at it I may as well add the bullet feed die.
I have been looking at Dillon and Hornady for two weeks and Hornady seems to best meet my needs. Add 500 free .30 caliber bullets and it brings the cost way down.

Zamis
10-22-2012, 09:08
David

I got a Dillon Square Deal for my 9mm and .40 which is all I reload on it. But I don't shoot as much as some of these guys. I shoot a few IDPA and USPA over the summer and the occasional class. And the SD can knock out what I need pretty fast. I don't shoot much rifle so I have a Lee turret for that. But all I do is hunt with the rifles so I don't need much, just 200-300 over the summer to keep in practice and maybe 50-75 when hunting season rolls around. I load .270 .243 .308 and .300 mag on the Lee. Now this may not be the best for everyone, but it works well for me.

scccdoc
10-22-2012, 09:23
No brainer, Dillon 550B should easily handle the quantity. Couple this with the no "BS" warranty and you can't go wrong IMHO.

I bought a "square Deal" for pistol rds and was green to reloading. Dillon Customer Service was absolutely GREAT.
:wow:

ron59
10-22-2012, 11:43
I've been using a Lee Pro 1000 for over 20 years and it has been great. I can't believe all the people who can't use them proficiently.
I want the Hornady because it is tiring on my eyes to visually check the powder in each case these days so I want to be able to use a powder check die. Figured while I'm at it I may as well add the bullet feed die.
I have been looking at Dillon and Hornady for two weeks and Hornady seems to best meet my needs. Add 500 free .30 caliber bullets and it brings the cost way down.

Unless you're going to seat/crimp at the same station, you won't be able to have both a powder check die AND a bullet feed die.

Most on here advise seating/crimping in different stations. I do it that way primarily as it works for me and I don't need an extra station for anything.

unclebob
10-22-2012, 12:39

For what you want, the 650 would be a better deal. The Hornady powder check you have to look at. The RCBS is a mechanical device subject to failure. The Dillon gives both a visual and an audible if it is wrong. Also with the Dillon with the Fail Safe system it is almost impossible to get a double charge. On the LNL you can.

17&27
10-22-2012, 19:03
Unless you're going to seat/crimp at the same station, you won't be able to have both a powder check die AND a bullet feed die.

Most on here advise seating/crimping in different stations. I do it that way primarily as it works for me and I don't need an extra station for anything.

Thanks for the input.
Yeah, I wish these were 6 station presses. I've been seating and crimping with the same die for so long I planned to continue to do so. I will probably try seating and crimping at seperate stations though, it would be kind of foolish not to try it if the press has the capabilities.

17&27
10-22-2012, 19:13
For what you want, the 650 would be a better deal. The Hornady powder check you have to look at. The RCBS is a mechanical device subject to failure. The Dillon gives both a visual and an audible if it is wrong. Also with the Dillon with the Fail Safe system it is almost impossible to get a double charge. On the LNL you can.

Thanks for the info.
I was planning on using the RCBS lockout or the Dillon powder checker, might try both. If I remember correctly the RCBS only works on pistol cases so I would need the Dillon for rifle cases anyway.
I'll look at the 650 a little closer.

Colorado4Wheel
10-22-2012, 20:56
Dillon Powder Alarm only works on the Dillon without drill being taken to your press.

IceAxe
10-23-2012, 11:00
Not to stir the pot, but isn't it true that a single stage (or turret) will produce a higher degree of consistency of results versus a progressive loader? I'm narrowing in on my own search for a loader (low rate, both pistol and rifle) and this is what I've been told by a number of local long range rifle shooters who load their own ammo.

I'm leaning hard toward the Lee Classic Turret since I don't need a high rate turnout but still researching.....

Hoser
10-23-2012, 11:44
Not to stir the pot, but isn't it true that a single stage (or turret) will produce a higher degree of consistency of results versus a progressive loader?
Not true. I load all my long range match rifle ammo on a Dillon 550.

unclebob
10-23-2012, 12:00
David Tubbs also loads ammo on a 550 for out to 600 yards. Any press that can get you close to 0 run out will work. There is a lot more to procession reloading besides the press. And there are ways to help achieve that 0 run out on the press.
Also people have different interpretation of precession ammo or shooting.

scccdoc
10-23-2012, 12:05
I'm looking for a used 550, gonna start loading .223.......... DOC

F106 Fan
10-23-2012, 12:14
Not to stir the pot, but isn't it true that a single stage (or turret) will produce a higher degree of consistency of results versus a progressive loader? I'm narrowing in on my own search for a loader (low rate, both pistol and rifle) and this is what I've been told by a number of local long range rifle shooters who load their own ammo.

I'm leaning hard toward the Lee Classic Turret since I don't need a high rate turnout but still researching.....

Maybe...

It comes down to flex in the press itself. If the press is stable, the positioning of the dies will be exact and consistency is the key to accuracy.

So what...

It gets down to what you are trying to do. If you want to make pistol ammo in dumpster quantities, a progressive with case feeder (and bullet feeder?) is the only way to go. You simply can't make enough ammo at 50 rounds per hour on a single stage press to keep up with a semiauto. I don't even have the patience to use a 550B at 400+ rounds per hour. For bulk pistol, I want speed. I load .45 ACP on a Dillon 1050 and 9mm on a 650, both with case feeders.

For action pistol, these machines make ammo that is a lot more consistent than I am when I manipulate the trigger. I never blame my misses on ammo. It is always me!

My AR-15 will never win any accuracy awards. The 8 to 12# trigger is nothing if not inconsistent. There is absolutely no point in making precision ammo for this gun so I load bulk .223 on a 650. One thing the AR can do better than most guns is make empty cases. Lots and lots of empty cases.

I have 4 pretty good bolt action rifles and 50 rounds with any one of them is a pretty big day. Sure, these should be loaded on the most accurate press available. That would be the Forster Co-Ax single stage press. But that's not what I'm doing.

I load my rifle ammo on a Redding T7. I have one toolhead for .308, another for 6.5x284 Norma and I will soon populate a 3d for .223. This press allows me to keep 7 die stations loaded with stuff I need. Body die, neck die, powder funnel, bullet seater, universal decapper, collet style bullet puller and case comparator.

A press like the Dillon 550 can be operated like 4 individual single stage presses. It doesn't have to be operated with all 4 stations working in parallel. Using a powder funnel at station 2 and using trickled charges will work just fine. Just make sure the powder clears the funnel. A powder like Reloder 22 can be a real PITA to dispense through a funnel.

The LCT is probably a good entry level press. You can do rifle and pistol but, in my view, the press is far too slow for pistol. I have never even seen an LCT so I don't know if the press has excessive flex that would make it problematic for precision rifle. Since the press only deals with one cartridge at a time, it might work out pretty good.

Richard

IceAxe
10-23-2012, 16:31
thanks for the clarification guys!

SC_Dave
10-30-2012, 20:37
Due to budget constraints I have narrowed it down to two. Either the Lee Pro 1000 or the Dillon Square Deal B. Which one should I opt for? I won't be loading anything but 9mm with it.
David

shotgunred
10-30-2012, 20:49
Do you want to tinker with the press or reload ammo?

Of the two the square deal is the better press.

fredj338
10-31-2012, 13:10
$300-$500
David

You are right @ a Lee CT w/ a good scale & measure. Most shooters need little else. Most of us that have prgressives do NOT need them, we just like having them.:supergrin:
BTW, the SDB, does NOT do rifle, so that is out. I wouldn't own a Lee progressive if it were free. The LCT is a better tool IMO.

noylj
10-31-2012, 15:09
Everyone will vote for what they use.
If I lost my three Dillon 1050s, I would immediately buy another Hornady L-N-L AP and start to watch for any good deals on 1050s.
If I was recommending to a beginner, I would ask how many rounds a week were needed and recommend:
1) Lee Breech Lock Single Stage
2) Lee Classic Turret
3) Hornady L-N-L
4) Dillon 1050
Those are the only presses I would consider.

alank2
10-31-2012, 15:51
Hi,

My Dillon 550 has done everything I've ever asked of it. I've loaded 38 special, 357 mag, 9mm, 40s&w, 10mm, 44 special, 44 magnum, and 45-70 on it at one time or another. It is a very versatile press.

Good luck,

Alan

fredj338
10-31-2012, 16:44
Everyone will vote for what they use.
If I lost my three Dillon 1050s, I would immediately buy another Hornady L-N-L AP and start to watch for any good deals on 1050s.
If I was recommending to a beginner, I would ask how many rounds a week were needed and recommend:
1) Lee Breech Lock Single Stage
2) Lee Classic Turret
3) Hornady L-N-L
4) Dillon 1050
Those are the only presses I would consider.
Really, you would choose a LNL over a 650? The 650 is a far better press; better case feeder & better prming system by far. The tool heads are fool proof while the bushings have proven problematic.:dunno:

judgecrater
10-31-2012, 17:48
What he said! I have both a Dillon 550B (does it all) and a Dillon Square Deal (pistol only.) Would not change a thing to do it over. Lots of reloaders start with some other brand and end up with a Dillon, never heard of them ever going the other way.

Colorado4Wheel
10-31-2012, 20:47
Really, you would choose a LNL over a 650? The 650 is a far better press; better case feeder & better prming system by far. The tool heads are fool proof while the bushings have proven problematic.:dunno:

I agree..

Will I have owned all of them almost and I would never recommend a LnL.

unclebob
11-01-2012, 07:31

:agree:

The LNL has way too many hit or miss problems. The workman ship of the press? Mattel could have done a better job. Between a 650 and a LNL with case feeder they are about the same price. So why buy a less inferior press, than a press that has a proven track record of working?
As for a 1050? 99% of the people don’t need one. Unless they need a lot of one caliber ammo fast or they run across a lot or use crimped brass. Also the warranty is only one year on a 1050. Or people that want to use a bullet feeder, and still use the powder check, and still use separate seat and crimp dies.

scccdoc
11-01-2012, 09:31
Anyone got a 550 in good shape for sale? I want to start loading .223.............. DOC

Tango 1Zero
11-01-2012, 09:38
Lee customer for a long time. 9MM, 5.56, 357.
I have the classic turret press and some single stage presses. I like hand priming setting and watching T.V.
Once I get a few hundred primed I load them up. Lee keeps the other loading companies honest.

F106 Fan
11-01-2012, 10:34
Anyone got a 550 in good shape for sale? I want to start loading .223.............. DOC

You're probably going to have to check Craig's list. If you can even find one on eBay, they are priced quite high.

There are a lot of problems doing face-to-face business from Craig's list.

The other problem is not knowing what exactly you are getting in the box of parts when you buy used. If you buy a new press, everything you need will be there if you use the Purchasing Guide
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/8/pkg_id/8

You can skip all the press upgrades like the strong mounts, bullet tray, handle upgrade, etc and just use the press the way it comes. All of these upgrades are nice to have but they aren't essential.

Richard

unclebob
11-01-2012, 10:47
You can skip all the press upgrades like the strong mounts, bullet tray, handle upgrade, etc and just use the press the way it comes. All of these upgrades are nice to have but they aren't essential.

I have all of them and would not be without any of them. Too many benefits. I have used them both ways. At least for me.

Colorado4Wheel
11-01-2012, 11:14
I built one of my benchs at 48" a strong mount is not needed then. I had to get creative for the bullet tray but I made one out of scrap that held a akro bin. Easy and free. I would get the roller handle. I have a roller handle on all my presses. Dillon has the best Roller handle I have used. To me that is enough of a reason to get Dillon over any other press. It's that much nicer. My new bench is at 42" so I need a strong mount/bullet tray setup. It's really no better then my bench before but it is easier to have my entire bench at 42" and use the strong mount setup vs making a small section of the bench 48" just for my two presses.

scccdoc
11-01-2012, 11:44
You're probably going to have to check Craig's list. If you can even find one on eBay, they are priced quite high.

There are a lot of problems doing face-to-face business from Craig's list.

The other problem is not knowing what exactly you are getting in the box of parts when you buy used. If you buy a new press, everything you need will be there if you use the Purchasing Guide
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/8/pkg_id/8

Richard
Yeah, I have a "Square Deal", great pistol caliber reloader. I've checked Craig's List but was looking for someone on here who was going to upgrade to a 650.

F106 Fan
11-01-2012, 11:58
Yeah, I have a "Square Deal", great pistol caliber reloader. I've checked Craig's List but was looking for someone on here who was going to upgrade to a 650.

How much .223 are you going to load?

I have been making my precision rifle ammo on a Redding T7 turret and I like it a lot. My production rate isn't anything to write home about but the ammo is first rate.

For my AR-15, I load on my 650. That thing make a bunch of ammo in a really big hurry!

Richard

F106 Fan
11-01-2012, 12:02
I have all of them and would not be without any of them. Too many benefits. I have used them both ways. At least for me.

Oh, I agree! I have strong mounts for both 550s and the 650. I think they are the only way to go.

However, I used the 550s for a very long time before the strong mounts came along.

It comes down to cash flow. The basic press is pretty cheap but the upgrades, while nice, do nothing to improve cash flow and they can always be added later. Omitting the strong mounts and other upgrades is not a perfect solution but it might make the press more affordable.

Richard

SC_Dave
11-01-2012, 12:05
Oh, I agree! I have strong mounts for both 550s and the 650. I think they are the only way to go.

However, I used the 550s for a very long time before the strong mounts came along.

It comes down to cash flow. The basic press is pretty cheap but the upgrades, while nice, do nothing to improve cash flow and they can always be added later. Omitting the strong mounts and other upgrades is not a perfect solution but it might make the press more affordable.

Richard

My bench is 31" and I would like to sit while reloading. Would the strong mount make the press too tall to sit?
David

F106 Fan
11-01-2012, 12:39
My bench is 31" and I would like to sit while reloading. Would the strong mount make the press too tall to sit?
David

I don't know.

My bench is 38" high and the strong mount (550/650 version, not the 650 only version) adds 8". I am 6'1" and I load standing up. The press might technically be a couple of inches too low because one theory is that the handle should be at shoulder height.

Nevertheless, it works fine and I don't find myself having to lean over when I push the handle all the way down.

Of course, if you buy the strong mounts, you have to buy the bullet tray because the press is so high off the pench. And you also have to buy the bin bracket for the same reason.

I guess you should do some measurements before you order the strong mounts.

Richard

SC_Dave
11-01-2012, 12:52
I don't know.

My bench is 38" high and the strong mount (550/650 version, not the 650 only version) adds 8". I am 6'1" and I load standing up. The press might technically be a couple of inches too low because one theory is that the handle should be at shoulder height.

Nevertheless, it works fine and I don't find myself having to lean over when I push the handle all the way down.

Of course, if you buy the strong mounts, you have to buy the bullet tray because the press is so high off the pench. And you also have to buy the bin bracket for the same reason.

I guess you should do some measurements before you order the strong mounts.

Richard

Thank you Richard. If it is not too much trouble would you be so kind as to measure from the press mounting base to the end of the handle when in the down position (up stroke) on you 550 please? I would really appreciate it. I too don't want to have to bend over on each stroke. (that just don't sound right!):shocked:
David

unclebob
11-01-2012, 13:05
If you are loading pistol? You also want to be able to see inside of the case for powder or the lack of it. My handle of the press is about 6” lower than my shoulder. I load standing and I do not do any bending. To me having the handle at shoulder height would be way too tall. Matter of fact for mine I wish it was still an inch lower.

fredj338
11-01-2012, 13:13

Most that "upgrade" to a 650 like I did, choose to keep the 550 for other calibers. I reload 12 diff handgun calibers, I am not buying all new setups for a 650 to load 400-500rds of say 41mag. So the 650 gets the high volume stuff & the 550 everything else.

F106 Fan
11-01-2012, 13:34
Thank you Richard. If it is not too much trouble would you be so kind as to measure from the press mounting base to the end of the handle when in the down position (up stroke) on you 550 please? I would really appreciate it. I too don't want to have to bend over on each stroke. (that just don't sound right!):shocked:
David

I don't have a 550 mounted but just sitting on something the base is 42-1/4" high and the center of the handle ball is 30-1/2" when fully down.

The problem with sitting is that you can't simply lean forward and look in a case as easily as you can when standing.

I have no idea how high to mount the press for use while sitting.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
11-01-2012, 13:48
Sitting with a Progressive is not a great option. You take all the ability of your legs to help in the process and it puts more strain on your back. A stool at least is better. I find standing is best because all I have to do is lean in to prime. My whole body helps. But if you have to sit I would use a stool that you can hook your legs onto a little. Using a Progressive quickly at all is very different then loading on a single stage. Especially pushing to prime.

unclebob
11-01-2012, 16:12
I would wait until after you received the press. Then try different heights etc. too see what works best for you. Like what Steve said you are a lot better off standing than you are seated. Really for any type of loading. I have tried and used every way. Standing works out the best all the way around.

noylj
11-01-2012, 16:59
Dear fredjj338:
The Hornady primer system worked perfectly for me. My son now has the press and it works perfectly for him. Only time I had a problem was when the bolt loosened the shell plate.
The 650 is only acceptable to me (and I have used one without a case feeder, so I know that for me it is a crap press without a case collator) with the case feeder. I sit down to reload. Even standing, I hated either placing a case with MY RIGHT HAND into the press mounted case feeder that feeds the case to the shell plate or hand feeding the plastic tube with cases. A PAIN IN THE ASS.
The L-N-L is totally ergonomic with all case and bullet functions being with the left hand. Never even considered a case collator as it is simply very quick, after about 30 years, to hand feed bullets and cases with the left hand and inspect the charge in the case right under my nose. Can you inspect the charged case by simply looking down or do you have to bend over the press? Use mirrors and lights to see inside the case.
Nope, if I wanted a press with a case feeder, I would stick to the 1050. Well worth the money compared to a 650 or L-N-L. If I don't need a case feeder, I will go back to the fully ergonomic L-N-L.
I certainly would not waster money on a 4-station manual-indexing press that limits my die set-up and costs a lot more for caliber conversions than the L-N-L.
Sorry. I've used a L-N-L, 550B, and 650 and know that Dillons are only good for me with case feeder/collator and the L-N-L is good to go--for me. I certainly would not buy a Hornady or RCBS case collator system until the press itself is designed for it and not just an add-on.
I walked into Dillon one day and there was a man buying a 650. He obviously had never reloaded before has he was buying one of almost everything, including cases, bullets, primer, and powder. I suggested he would also want a case feeder and he laughed at me. I'll bet within a month, he was back.
Your back may not mind standing up or bending over the press to feed cases into the press, but for me, it was unacceptable.
That is why I made note that a press decision is very personal and should NOT be based on what your buddy uses, what the local hot-shot uses, or what looks pretty.

noylj
11-01-2012, 17:06
What is problematic about the bushings?
The only thing I know is some have a slightly small O-ring that, when combined with a very top heavy powder measure, can let the bushing work loose. This is rather obvious when it happens.
All you need is 1) a different bushing or 2) a cardboard or beer can shim.
I have read a lot of complaints about the looseness of the tool heads on 550Bs and 650s and questions about the alignment. However, I haven't mentioned those AS I HAVE NO REAL EXPERIENCE.
I have read on the Dillon site about many priming problems, including whole columns of primers going off at once. However, I haven't mentioned those AS I HAVE NO REAL EXPERIENCE.
I really get tired of Blue Boys who parrot every little thing they hear about the L-N-L as though it is the truth.
At least I am stating what I have found by PERSONAL experience to be true and why I didn't like it. I would think the explanation and the thoughts would help a newbie, rather than the "I love my xyz and you should just buy it, too."

shotgunred
11-01-2012, 17:16
I sit when I reload. my bench is 34 1/2 inches high. Here is how I came up with that height. I started with the bench I had and screwed down a piece of plywood, mounted the press and then loaded on it. I kept going up until it felt to high. At that point I backed off to the spot I liked best. I then made my new bench that height.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l18/whidbeyphotos/gun%20stuff/press2.jpg http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l18/whidbeyphotos/gun%20stuff/press1.jpg

The only accessory I bought was the roller handle. With my second press I didn't even do that. They are nice to haves but not necessary.

F106 Fan
11-01-2012, 17:26
I can see where sitting down would work ok for pistol cartridges but I'm not sure I could get enough leverage to full-length size rifle cases. .223 might not be so bad but .308 might be a little difficult.

One thing about having presses with case feeders: you don't have to stand up very long!

There are some rubber floor mats that might make standing a little more comfortable. My wife keeps telling me to get buy some but I am more worried about tripping over the edges.

Richard

fredj338
11-01-2012, 17:40
Dear fredjj338:
I walked into Dillon one day and there was a man buying a 650. He obviously had never reloaded before has he was buying one of almost everything, including cases, bullets, primer, and powder. I suggested he would also want a case feeder and he laughed at me. I'll bet within a month, he was back.
Your back may not mind standing up or bending over the press to feed cases into the press, but for me, it was unacceptable.
That is why I made note that a press decision is very personal and should NOT be based on what your buddy uses, what the local hot-shot uses, or what looks pretty.
I agree, if I did NOT want a case feeder, the LNL is more user friendly for feeding cases. Then again, the LNL is no faster than a 550B either, both w/o case feeders. So it does come down to pers pref. The 650 is in every way a better press than the lNL, that is JMO based on using both. With a case feeder, there really is no comparison. Sure, I would love a 1050 for just loading 45acp, but it offers no real advantage over the less expensive 650 except for primer pocket swager, not needed for 99% of all calibers. :wavey:

shotgunred
11-01-2012, 17:56
I can see where sitting down would work ok for pistol cartridges but I'm not sure I could get enough leverage to full-length size rifle cases. .223 might not be so bad but .308 might be a little difficult.

Richard

Up to now 223 is the largest rifle cartridge I had loaded. I have bought the setup for 30-06 but haven't tried it yet. I certainly don't feel the need for leg leverage with any of my calibers.

fredj338
11-02-2012, 01:22
What is problematic about the bushings?
The only thing I know is some have a slightly small O-ring that, when combined with a very top heavy powder measure, can let the bushing work loose. This is rather obvious when it happens.
All you need is 1) a different bushing or 2) a cardboard or beer can shim.
I have read a lot of complaints about the looseness of the tool heads on 550Bs and 650s and questions about the alignment. However, I haven't mentioned those AS I HAVE NO REAL EXPERIENCE.
I have read on the Dillon site about many priming problems, including whole columns of primers going off at once. However, I haven't mentioned those AS I HAVE NO REAL EXPERIENCE.
I really get tired of Blue Boys who parrot every little thing they hear about the L-N-L as though it is the truth.
At least I am stating what I have found by PERSONAL experience to be true and why I didn't like it. I would think the explanation and the thoughts would help a newbie, rather than the "I love my xyz and you should just buy it, too."
Yes the bushings can & do come loose. It's such a problem that Hornady offers shims. The Dillon tool head can NOT come loose. IF you feel it's not snug enough, a center punch & 30sec solves that.
Primers going off, identical setup on the LNL as far as primer tubes, so while I have never known anyone that has had that happen, I have heard it. All of my LNL exp is first hand, not hearsay. It's not a bad press at all, but it's not a 650, never will be. It's fine, you like your LNL, but funny you would knock a 650 & have never really loaded on one (case feeder).:dunno:
BTW, I never reload for much more than an hour. Since a 650 will easily do 700rds in that time, don't have to be sitting for that.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 05:43
Bushings are a pita. They vary in tightness for some reason. The tight ones need wrench to remove. But the bushing itself has no place to put a wrench on it. So you end up putting the wrench on the die. Then the die will move. Its a horrible design. I was helping a new guy with his LnL and watched hi. have the exact same issues with his LnL as I had with mine. Some bushing too tight, some too loose. Total PITA.

As far as all the issues with the Dillon 650. Toolhead is not too loose, Every press can have priming issue but the Dillon has way better leverage and stroke then a LnL does when seating g the primer. I have owned them. This is not a myth.

fredj338
11-02-2012, 12:52
Bushings are a pita. They vary in tightness for some reason. The tight ones need wrench to remove. But the bushing itself has no place to put a wrench on it. So you end up putting the wrench on the die. Then the die will move. Its a horrible design. I was helping a new guy with his LnL and watched hi. have the exact same issues with his LnL as I had with mine. Some bushing too tight, some too loose. Total PITA.

As far as all the issues with the Dillon 650. Toolhead is not too loose, Every press can have priming issue but the Dillon has way better leverage and stroke then a LnL does when seating g the primer. I have owned them. This is not a myth.

I've seen all the progressive primer systems at work, the 650 has the most fool proof priming system. Stacking the primers has never worried me & is the same on the LNL, so unless you do NOT want a case feeder, the 650 is a better machine for a few $$ more.:dunno:

unclebob
11-02-2012, 14:03
I've seen all the progressive primer systems at work, the 650 has the most fool proof priming system. Stacking the primers has never worried me & is the same on the LNL, so unless you do NOT want a case feeder, the 650 is a better machine for a few $$ more.:dunno:

I believe Noulj says he has two 1050 press’s. He could take the case feeder off one of them, change out the brass plate. And he would have a 650 with case feeder. You can also have two 650’s for the price of one 1050.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 15:56

I took the hard path (LnL and a load master). I learned my lesson. Some people just don't know better and I am including myself in that comment. Now I buy quality. Just bought a really nice Chef Knife. Well nice enough to last a lifetime if I do my part. Tired of replacing stuff that saved me 10-50%. That is not a savings if you buy the same item every ten years. LnL may save you a little money on caliber conversions but in the end its just not as nice of a machine. Not even a close second IMO.

fredj338
11-02-2012, 17:19
^^AGREE^^
My dad tought me early; buy good tools, makes any job easier & nore enjoyable. From simple things like a hamemr to complicated things like power tools, reloading tools, computers, etc.

noylj
11-03-2012, 02:24
>It's fine, you like your LNL, but funny you would knock a 650 & have never really loaded on one (case feeder).:dunno:

I have used a 550B and an XL650, both WITHOUT a case feeder/collator. They were, to me, a PITA. I either had to use my right hand to place each case in the "case feeder" that feeds a case into the shell plate or I had to feed about 25 cases into a plastic tube. Neither put the charged case under my nose so I can just look down and inspect the charge in the case.
My point is that the L-N-L is more ergonomic for me and I find nothing wrong with feeding cases and bullets with my left hand. Never felt a need for a case feeder/collator with my Hornady presses.
I would love an XL650 with a case feeder/collator, but ONLY with one. Since I don't feel a need for one, I would still buy a Hornady.
However, I am very happy with three 1050s, though all three case feeder/collators have given me problems. I find the 1050 and the Hornady primer feeds to be very similar and both work almost 100%--with the one on my old Hornady being more reliable than on any of my 1050s. The Hornady is sensitive to powder kernels or junk getting into the priming system. The 1050 is VERY sensitive to the same thing.
Thus, my recommendation has always been:
get the L-N-L if you don't need a case feeder/collator and get the XL650 is you do need/want one. Even better, get the 1050 and be done with the whole thing.
I think my position is clear and, for me and my reloading, logical. You may be happy with I see as limitations and weaknesses, but at least make sure you know about them and accept them.

Colorado4Wheel
11-03-2012, 07:25
Ergonomic preference is often based on what your used to. I loaded on a 550 for years. Then got a LnL. The 550 is possible the most logically designed machine ever. Powder charge clearly visible, efficient work process. It takes a little to master because of the manual index. But if a slow guy like me can load 100 rds in 8 mins with no case feeder then it has something going for it. The LnL has the powder charge way on the wrong side of the press in a hard to see place by comparison.

shotgunred
11-03-2012, 11:34
I think that there is a lot of truth to the statement that most people think that which ever press they use the most is the most comfortable and it is the best.

"

I know that both Steve and I tried going from a Dillon 550 to an LNL AP as an upgrade and found it to be lacking. We both ended up with a Dillon 650. If you search this forum you would find pages and pages were Steve went through all the problems he was having with his LNL AP. Right up to the point were Horndy bought it back. While I wasn't as vocal I didn't find the press to be an upgrade for the 550. So it is not just Blue Boys parroting stuff off the net.

xXGearheadXx
11-04-2012, 07:53
Dillon 650 all the way. The press (and all my reloading equipment) has paid for itself already with the ammo i've loaded on it vs. Factory loads. I can load a thousand in just a little bit longer than it would take me to run to walmart and buy a couple of boxes. It's a pretty large up front expense but well worth it if you shoot a lot.

Colorado4Wheel
11-04-2012, 09:56
I think that there is a lot of truth to the statement that most people think that which ever press they use the most is the most comfortable and it is the best.

I know that both Steve and I tried going from a Dillon 550 to an LNL AP as an upgrade and found it to be lacking. We both ended up with a Dillon 650. If you search this forum you would find pages and pages were Steve went through all the problems he was having with his LNL AP. Right up to the point were Horndy bought it back. While I wasn't as vocal I didn't find the press to be an upgrade for the 550. So it is not just Blue Boys parroting stuff off the net.

To be fair. Hornady tried and tried. New frame, new parts. It's a lost cause. It just wasn't going to work as well or reliable as it needed to.

shotgunred
11-04-2012, 20:15
True at least you have to give them the nod for good costumer service.

fredj338
11-05-2012, 12:52
Dillon 650 all the way. The press (and all my reloading equipment) has paid for itself already with the ammo i've loaded on it vs. Factory loads. I can load a thousand in just a little bit longer than it would take me to run to walmart and buy a couple of boxes. It's a pretty large up front expense but well worth it if you shoot a lot.

THis is always my point, cost vs time. If you want the most trouble free progressive, it's probably a 650 w/ case feeder. If the point is loading ammo vs tinkering, then buy something else & tinker away.:whistling: If you must have an auto index & no case feeder, then you can get the LNL to work, but it will have it's issues. For me, that outways the auto index & a 550B is a better tool IMO.

AZson
11-05-2012, 19:09
I own a lee 4 holer, which would be the lowest price I would go with next a lee 1000 progressive with the next level a Hornady progressive.
Lee now has a warranty if it breaks send it back and they will replace it.

Rinconjoe
11-06-2012, 06:26
As well as other I can say sound advice from F106 Fan and shotgun red:
Ok I going to throw my 2 cents worth:
my choice not too long ago was in same boat ;
My choice was dillion RL550B and can’t say enough with me shooting around 1500 -2000 rounds a month it has suited me well, I actually kind of wish I had gone with the 650 but cost kept me from it.
But on same token the 550 is manual indexing and allowed easy to learn the process of reloading and to be honest once you understand and know how the reloading process works you become more safety, I think better well oriented. You’re not too far, sure someone close has some reloaders look, ask and watch learn and be safe

My choice would be the dillion RL550B

unclebob
11-06-2012, 07:26
My choice was dillion RL550B and can’t say enough with me shooting around 1500 -2000 rounds a month it has suited me well, I actually kind of wish I had gone with the 650 but cost kept me from it.
But on same token the 550 is manual indexing and allowed easy to learn the process of reloading and to be honest once you understand and know how the reloading process works you become more safety, I think better well oriented. You’re not too far, sure someone close has some reloaders look, ask and watch learn and be safe

My choice would be the dillion RL550B

I think most people choose the 550 over the 650 because of the price. I bought the 550 because the 650 was probably still on the drawing board. After loading 200,000 rounds on the 550 I sold it and bought the 650 with case feeder. If there was a 650 when I bought the 550 I would have never have owned the 550.
What a lot of people do not realize is that you can load one round at a time on the 650 the same as you can on the 550. You can also very simply make the 650 press manual indexing.
What it boils down to is, how much do you load and how much time to you have to reload. Also I believe the 650 press is a safer press to use, of not getting a double charge with the auto indexing. Yes people have doubled charged on a 650. But it is because of something the reloader did, not the loader. As long as they are using the Fail safe system.

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2012, 09:48
I love my 650. I loved my 550. To me it's all about production. If you shoot a lot the 650 is worth every dollar you invested into it.

F106 Fan
11-06-2012, 10:15
I like my 650 also. It's kind of a shame that I spent the money to buy two 550s years ago but, frankly, I don't think I could have afforded the 650 at the time. Heck, I still have a 450 and have thought of applying the latest upgrades just because I can. I have no idea what I would do with it.

The one thing about the 650 is the cost of caliber conversion. It's about $105 for a toolhead and caliber conversion kit. That only works because I already have a spare powder measure. Ordinarily, that would add another $77 because I prefer to leave the powder measures on the toolheads.

Add $64 for the dies and $16 for the case gauge and starting to load .40 S&W is going to cost $200.

Yes, I'll get my money back in less than 1000 rounds but I still have to spend the money!

The really good news is that loading those 1000 rounds will only take about 1-1/2 hours.

Richard

unclebob
11-06-2012, 10:31
If you don’t like the expense of another power measure? Just get another powder bar and spacer and swap them out. Takes about two minutes to swap once they are set for the powder throw that you want.

F106 Fan
11-06-2012, 10:45
If you don’t like the expense of another power measure? Just get another powder bar and spacer and swap them out. Takes about two minutes to swap once they are set for the powder throw that you want.

Yup!

But then I have loose parts to keep track of. It's kind of the same thing if I just unclamp the powder measure. Sooner or later that powder funnel is going to fall out and join the box full of loose parts never to be seen again.

I know it's silly but I like the idea of keeping the entire toolhead ready to go. It just simplifies my life when I can keep everything together.

Because I had two 550s and multiple toolheads for each, I am about knee deep in powder measures. I have had to upgrade some of them and I still have one without the failsafe. I'll probably fix it up when I order the caliber conversion for .40 S&W.

I've never loaded .40 S&W. Something new to learn!

Richard