I knew what it is like being a cop... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I knew what it is like being a cop...

RussP
10-18-2012, 20:43
No, not from being a cop, but from a couple three decades of working with LE, and in the last 6 years learning from many friends here and off the internet.

I was told stories and read stories about the LE family surrounding brothers' and sisters' families in time of need. I thought I understood...

The last two weeks I have experienced that unconditional commitment. I have seen the immediate, unselfish actions to maintain a bit of normalcy in the midst of chaos. I have personally received the support of officers who know me only as one to whom their fellow officer entrusted his family.

Is LE unique in this professional family relationship? No.

Am I glad that this LE family is here, supporting us? Yep.

Y'all stay safe...your brother or sister, their family, they may need you tomorrow. Understand how important your being there for them will be!

I understand.

No need to reply...just needed to voice an opinion.

Cochese
10-18-2012, 21:56
:patriot:

lawman800
10-18-2012, 22:34
:patriot::wavey:

Ship A'Hoy
10-19-2012, 04:15
:thumbsup:

PinkoCommie
10-19-2012, 04:41
We really are a family. Among us, we may bicker like the most dysfunctional family at the Thanksgiving dinner table. When something from the outside presents a threat, be it a politician, a criminal or an ugly disease, we support each other with all we have.

dpadams6
10-19-2012, 04:55
Nice post, Russ.

x_out86
10-19-2012, 07:17
:yourock:

Small things like this remind us that there are still decent, law abiding, appreciative of LEO's, people left somewhere out there.

Thanks Russ!

jhon
10-19-2012, 10:25
:thumbsup: Excellent, Russ :wavey:

scottydl
10-19-2012, 10:42
Is LE unique in this professional family relationship?

No, but there aren't too many professions that would rival the LEO bond. Combat Military and Fire Service are the only two that come close, jobs that can turn deadly in 2 seconds and you know someone will always have your back... no matter what your personal differences.

lawman800
10-19-2012, 10:50
No, but there aren't too many professions that would rival the LEO bond. Combat Military and Fire Service are the only two that come close, jobs that can turn deadly in 2 seconds and you know someone will always have your back... no matter what your personal differences.

But... But... Police don't have the deadliest jobs like crab fisherman or Olympic javelin catcher.:crying:

RussP
10-19-2012, 14:57
But... But... Police don't have the deadliest jobs like crab fisherman or Olympic javelin catcher.:crying:You know, sometimes you can be a real pain in the ass (:whistling: Yeah, people, I can call him a PITA:upeyes:I don't work where he works anymore:tongueout:)...but that is funny, I don't care who you are...:animlol:

janice6
10-19-2012, 15:02
Ohana means family. Family means no body gets left behind... or forgotten!

Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind... or forgotten! - YouTube

RussP
10-19-2012, 15:18
:yourock:

Small things like this remind us that there are still decent, law abiding, appreciative of LEO's, people left somewhere out there.

Thanks Russ!I'm a little different, x_out86. I've walked the walk with some cops through some personal and professional challenges. I've also witnessed some great cops take risks standing up for citizens facing felony charges. There testimony exonerated those charged. Yeah, I have dealt with some real *******s, too. I guess it gives me a more complete perspective on what being a cop is like. I've seen and experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly, and yes, I also had lunch with Clint Eastwood one day in Carson City, NV...

One day last week I was talking with officers from Da Law's department about Da Law's brother who worked for the same department then went FBI a few years back. I said, "I hear he was a real good cop." They looked at me, and one said, "Yeah, he indeed was a cop, but when he went Fed, we revoked his real-cop-card."

Patchman
10-19-2012, 16:42
No, not from being a cop, but from a couple three decades of working with LE, and in the last 6 years learning from many friends here and off the internet.

I was told stories and read stories about the LE family surrounding brothers' and sisters' families in time of need. I thought I understood...

The last two weeks I have experienced that unconditional commitment. I have seen the immediate, unselfish actions to maintain a bit of normalcy in the midst of chaos. I have personally received the support of officers who know me only as one to whom their fellow officer entrusted his family.

Is LE unique in this professional family relationship? No.

Am I glad that this LE family is here, supporting us? Yep.

Y'all stay safe...your brother or sister, their family, they may need you tomorrow. Understand how important your being there for them will be!

I understand.

No need to reply...just needed to voice an opinion.

We really are a family. Among us, we may bicker like the most dysfunctional family at the Thanksgiving dinner table. When something from the outside presents a threat, be it a politician, a criminal or an ugly disease, we support each other with all we have.

Yep, LE is a big dysfunctional family. That is, until it's game time. Most non-LE don't understand that because they've never been part of a bond that's forged in fire and ice and blood.

Russ, thanks for your understanding and support over the years.

Patchman
10-19-2012, 16:53
One day last week I was talking with officers from Da Law's department about Da Law's brother who worked for the same department then went FBI a few years back. I said, "I hear he was a real good cop." They looked at me, and one said, "Yeah, he indeed was a cop, but when he went Fed, we revoked his real-cop-card."

Darn, Russ, don't discourage me!

I'm building my experience and resume to get into our local JTTF so I can drive a fancy take home car paid for by the feds. I only have 7 years left before retirement so my window of opportunity is the next two years. Wish me luck! :supergrin:

Detectorist
10-19-2012, 18:54
But... But... Police don't have the deadliest jobs like crab fisherman or Olympic javelin catcher.:crying:

Yea, if cops catch crabs, it's probably not from the ocean.

:rofl:

lawman800
10-19-2012, 19:25
Yea, if cops catch crabs, it's probably not from the ocean.

:rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kingarthurhk
10-19-2012, 22:24
I'm a little different, x_out86. I've walked the walk with some cops through some personal and professional challenges. I've also witnessed some great cops take risks standing up for citizens facing felony charges. There testimony exonerated those charged. Yeah, I have dealt with some real *******s, too. I guess it gives me a more complete perspective on what being a cop is like. I've seen and experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly, and yes, I also had lunch with Clint Eastwood one day in Carson City, NV...

That reminds me of when I left the Border Patrol to be an investigator. It was like being jumped out of a gang. There is a lot of hostility when you leave. In fact, when I relocated, there was a small Border Patrol Office in the same town next to our office. When they found out I was Border Patrol they didn't want to talk to me for a couple of months. Then we were cool with each other.

The funny thing is when you run into other former Border Patrol from other parts of law enforcement you may have a lukewarm meeting, because you may be working from different perspectives until the other guy finds out you were former Patrol. Then you compare class numbers. That is the first thing that is asked to size the other guy up, "What class were you in?" And then you are like long lost friends.

It is kind of what the Simper Fi thing is to Marines. Once green always green, you bleed green.

So, the guys who are currently ground pounding get a bit bent out of shape at first because you "left". But, those who have pounded that ground with you and have moved on even a decade later talk to you like it was only yesterday.

That is the best way I can explain it. Your revoking of the "cop-card" made me think of that.