Lee 1000 Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee 1000 Questions

SC_Dave
10-19-2012, 09:55
Got a guy that is out of the reloading business. He has a Lee 1000 he wnats to sell. Have'nt seen it yet so I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in. He has dies for 9mm, 38 and 45.

Here is where my inexperience comes in.

Worth having?

What would be a good top/bottom price range?

Anything I should look for?

Thanks in advance to the brain-trust here for your vital information.
David

michael e
10-19-2012, 17:20
This is what I use.
Does he have shell plates, extra turrets so just swap over , scale?
I would offer 150 go 200 max. Dies are about 30. It cost about 50 to add new caliber. That's turret , dies , she'll plate.
Lee sales recondition ones for 125 range.

F106 Fan
10-19-2012, 17:32
Before you settle on the Lee Pro 1000, Google for 'lee pro 1000 primer problems'. In fact, Google for anything related to 'lee pro 1000 problem'. There are somewhat over 3,000,000 results.

Some people have great success with the press; others, not so much!

If you want to buy Lee for price, the Kempf Lee Classic Turret Kit is probably the way to go.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2012, 17:44
If you like trouble shooting stuff it's a great choice.

michael e
10-19-2012, 17:59
The primer issue is not hard to figure out.
Funny everyone points out lee's primer problems but have read just as many about Dillion and everyone forgets those.
Get what you can afford and someone will help you with any issues.

WiskyT
10-19-2012, 19:00
The primer issue is not hard to figure out.
Funny everyone points out lee's primer problems but have read just as many about Dillion and everyone forgets those.
Get what you can afford and someone will help you with any issues.

Yup. And unlike the Dillon primer systems, the Lee is just a chute and some gravity, a punch and a spring. The Dillon 650 I have works great. If it ever screws up, I'll have to become a watchmaker to figure it out.

BTW, I loaded a couple hundred rounds on my 650 the other day. When I was packing them up, I found one without a primer. Figures I was using AA5 which easily leaks out of the primer hole, so I had 6.5 grains of AA5 all in my 650's action and I never did find the primer.

countrygun
10-19-2012, 19:15
I spent a good amount of time researching progressives recently. I didn't find one brand that didn't have reports of primer feed problems.

There are a lot of complaints about the Lee progressives, they are highlighted by, "Bad instruction manual, Frustrated, Broke the..."

There are a lot of satisfied owners and their posts say, "watched the youtube videos", "took my time setting it up", "seemed complicated at first but"

WiskyT
10-19-2012, 19:32
I spent a good amount of time researching progressives recently. I didn't find one brand that didn't have reports of primer feed problems.

There are a lot of complaints about the Lee progressives, they are highlighted by, "Bad instruction manual, Frustrated, Broke the..."

There are a lot of satisfied owners and their posts say, "watched the youtube videos", "took my time setting it up", "seemed complicated at first but"

The Pro1000 requires patience at times. I've had mine since 1986, it's faded to pink. All of Lee's instructions suck. they only make sense after you have figured out on your own how to operate the product, then you re-read the instructions and finally understand WTF he was talking about. The thing is, for the cost, and with a little patience and aptitude, you get a lot of production with Lee gear. Whether it is a 6 cavity mold or a Pro1000, if you do everything just right and with a little finesse, you can make a pile of ammo quickly for a low price.

The Dillon is like Apple, you can buy the thing, take it out of the box, and run it. It rarely has problems and if it does, they will hold your hand to figure it out. But, you pay a lot of money for that. Lee is like Linux. It requires some tweaking. But for something that is nearly free, it gets the job done. You just have to be prepared to do more than just bolt it to the bench and pull the handle.

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2012, 19:42
What do you want. Simple or troublesome. Both can work, just decide if you want to fiddle or load.

wanderinwalker
10-19-2012, 21:49
Depending on accessories, I might offer between $100 and $150. It really is a pretty simple little machine, if you're patient and reasonably mechanically inclined you can produce quite a bit of loaded ammo for little cash outlay. It's not flashy and won't be worth 90% of it's new price in 20 years, but they work. I have no complaints with mine after learning its quirks.

SC_Dave
10-20-2012, 16:11
Thanks all!
David

CaptainXL
10-23-2012, 16:04
Something for you to consider -- I bought a factory refurbished Pro 1000 (9 mm) from Lee's Close Out page http://leeprecision.com/closeouts/ a couple of weeks ago for only $132 plus shipping. Right now they have refurbished presses available in .38, .45ACP, .45Colt, 9mm & .223 Full 2 yr warranty.

Finally got it set up yesterday and loaded about 30 rounds (Manually - without the case feeder) - just to get the feel of it. It's a very smooth cycling press and I did not have any problems or malfunctions. Everything worked great.

Got the case feeder installed today and ran some cases thru the press without actually loading them. Case feeder works fine.

Hopefully I will get a chance to run a couple of hundred rounds thru it before the weekend

wdphillips
10-23-2012, 22:26
I love the Lee Pro 1000 and I have 3 of them. I also have 3 Lee Loadmasters, but I prefer the Pro 1000 for its simplicity, ease of use, and flexibility. I usually purchase them used ($75-$100), take them apart, clean them up and start using them. Parts are readily available and quite reasonable.

I did purchase a new one for .223 but I am currently using it for .40 S&W.

PS I rarely have primer problems with the Pro 1000.

Uncle Don
10-23-2012, 23:42
Now there is a man who knows how to set dies properly to work with a progressive press. Most times, that is a critical issue with people who can't get a LM to work.

It's probably not as critcal to a primer system that seats on the downstroke, but certainly for a press like the LM that does so on the top.