Accuracy help and questions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy help and questions?

Glocktex
10-19-2012, 14:21
I went out today and shot my 20 SF with standard factory barrel. *I was using underwood 200gr XTP's. I was getting 2" groups at 7-10 yds. off-hand. *When I went out to 25 yds and shot freehand and with a make shift rest, my groups went out to 12-18". I didn't feel as though my grip was off. I'm using advantage tactical sights. *I also have Talon grips on it. *I really want to use this for hunting but am not very happy with the groups. People are shooting out to 50-100 yds and killing deer. I would like to be able to do that too.*
So, my question is, what if anything should I change? *Barrel? Ammo? Extended barrel?
As always, thanks in advance!

countrygun
10-19-2012, 15:11
My .02 would be "It's the Indian and not the arrow"

if you can get 2" regularly @ 10 yds then such a major "growth of group" @25 is almost certainly a reult of a "screw loose behind the trigger":tongueout:

An extended barrel will almost certainly, positively not help. The added length past the slide actually does nothing for accuracy. You still have the same sight radius which is the accuracy advantage to longer barrels in other situations (getting the sights further apart)

In all seriousness it is certainly a practice and technique issue, again, from 2" at 10 to 12-18" at 25 is hardly ever a problem that can be fixed with equipment changes. It could be partially attributed to the sights not really being optimal for you. Without watching you shoot i am afraid I can't offer much more advice

Oh and "Talon Grips" Hmmm

copo9560
10-19-2012, 17:33
I would leave the gun alone and get more practice in. I am still learning but can keep most of my groups on a paper plate at 50 yards on an a stock G20. I think smaller sights would help at this range but the incremental gain is probably small. With cost of 10mm ammo I am looking hard at a 22 conversion for more trigger time. Reloading also being considered.

I have found the Underwood 165 and 180 to be very accurate.

Opie 1 Kenopie
10-19-2012, 18:15
I would leave the gun alone and get more practice in. I am still learning but can keep most of my groups on a paper plate at 50 yards on an a stock G20. I think smaller sights would help at this range but the incremental gain is probably small. With cost of 10mm ammo I am looking hard at a 22 conversion for more trigger time. Reloading also being considered.

I have found the Underwood 165 and 180 to be very accurate.
While converting to .22 can get you more trigger time, it doesn't get you more 10mm trigger time! And that's what we're all here for. I recently bought everything need for reloading the 10 in one huge order from Midway. Very excited about getting to crank out my own practice loads soon!

Glocktex
10-19-2012, 18:29
Likely the 'screw' could be tightened a bit!
So an aftermarket KKM or Storm won't make that much of a difference huh?

OregonG20
10-19-2012, 19:15
Likely the 'screw' could be tightened a bit!
So an aftermarket KKM or Storm won't make that much of a difference huh?

This is my best group, shooting from the hood of my truck with hand loads:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/roryhunt/Guns/DSC02417.jpg

That's with a bone stock G20sf. No steel guide rod. No after market 24 lb spring. No nifty sights (I have tritium sights now). No after market barrel. My hand loads are with a 180gr XTP's, as well. Unless my barrel is the Bruce Lee of Glock barrels, I would say you need more trigger time. All of us do!

There are a few that bash the stock Glock barrel, but it works beautiful for me, and a ton of other people out there, too. I have never seen anybody able to prove to me that a stock Glock barrel shoots any worse than a KKM/Wolf/Storm Lake. I've heard a lot of stories of peoples KKM/Storm Lake/Wolf barrels needing to be sent back to the factory and "fixed" just to be able to run, though.

Also, with the amount of money you spend buying a bunch of needless aftermarket parts, you could easily get into reloading, and save yourself a ****** ton of money.

davsco
10-19-2012, 19:41
i have a g20sf and happened to hit the range for a short bit today. at roughly 7 yards i got roughly 2" groups and at 25 i got maybe 4". sure i could have done a little better as i was basically testing for reliability with several different types of ammo.

so yeah i'd say your groups opening WAY up at 25 yds might be a problem with your grip, stance, trigger work, etc. did you have a small bullseye you were aiming at - remember, aim small, miss small. if you were resting the gun at 25, that could have had something to do with it.

nickE10mm
10-19-2012, 22:08
Three things:

1) practice more!
2) start reloading!
3) don't feel bad about your huge 25y groups!

Don't get discouraged ... It happens. Practice WILL make you better. Extra accessories make very little difference in the grand scheme of things. ;) Oregon's ragged hole isn't the norm even for great shooters... Just put in your time and focus on the fundamentals ... better yet, get those fundamentals from someone who is qualified.

Stay safe!

Glocktex
10-19-2012, 22:27
Thanks for the replies guys. I do appreciate it. Sounds like I'll just concentrate on the basics, know my limitations, and go from there.

OregonG20
10-19-2012, 22:51
Three things:

1) practice more!
2) start reloading!
3) don't feel bad about your huge 25y groups!

Don't get discouraged ... It happens. Practice WILL make you better. Extra accessories make very little difference in the grand scheme of things. ;) Oregon's ragged hole isn't the norm even for great shooters... Just put in your time and focus on the fundamentals ... better yet, get those fundamentals from someone who is qualified.

Stay safe!

That ragged hole isn't the norm for me, either....lol. It was my best group, and I barely believed it when I shot it. My wife was there though, and can attest. I haven't duplicated that result ever again. But my 25yrd groups aren't too bad, either...lol.

Opie 1 Kenopie
10-19-2012, 23:12
That ragged hole isn't the norm for me, either....lol. It was my best group, and I barely believed it when I shot it. My wife was there though, and can attest. I haven't duplicated that result ever again. But my 25yrd groups aren't too bad, either...lol.

You're supposed to say "I meant to do that!". :wavey: