US Ambassador Chris Stevens May Have Been Linked To Jihadist Rebels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : US Ambassador Chris Stevens May Have Been Linked To Jihadist Rebels

pipedreams
10-19-2012, 17:24
How US Ambassador Chris Stevens May Have Been Linked To Jihadist Rebels In Syria

This Business Insider article may explain a lot that was going on in Libya and maybe why BO was backpedaling.

"And we know that the CIA has been funneling weapons to the rebels (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/world/middleeast/cia-said-to-aid-in-steering-arms-to-syrian-rebels.html?pagewanted=all) in southern Turkey. The question is whether the CIA has been involved in handing out the heavy weapons from Libya."

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-syria-heavy-weapons-jihadists-2012-10

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-arming-jihadists-syria-2012-10

From Bloomberg Business

"While details of the attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya last month may never be fully known, there is ample evidence neither the Obama administration’s initial accounts nor Republican portrayals of the incident are accurate. "

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-16/evidence-points-to-hasty-strike-on-u-dot-s-dot-compound-in-libya#p1

Rooster Rugburn
10-19-2012, 18:33
The entire situation, from start (Arab spring) to finish (Benghazi) proves a complete lack of understanding of that area of the world, and their mentality by this administration.

It also shows what happens when one junior senator is elected president, and another junior senator, whose qualifications were being an ex first lady, is made Secretary of State.

You cannot just hope a problem like islam away. And you cannot change it. It's pretty obvious the middle east needs to be dealt with from a position of strength, and not apology.

hogfish
10-19-2012, 19:00
I understand now. They killed him because he was helping them, and noone really knows what all it was about. :dunno:

countrygun
10-19-2012, 19:08
Well, that's not optimal

JFrame
10-19-2012, 19:09
Future generations will marvel at the ineptitude, incompetence, and ideological rigidity of this administration.

Economists and historians will look at Obama's economic policies with the same bemused wonder that we look at Mao's "Great Leap Forward."

pipedreams
10-19-2012, 21:17
If you didn't check the links, check this one on Blackwater being sent to Syria by US Gov.

http://www.businessinsider.com/leaked-stratfor-emails-us-government-sent-blackwater-veteran-to-fight-with-rebels-in-libya-and-syria-2012-3

And this one about the Russian General killed by Syria rebels.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-general-killed-by-syrian-rebels-2012-10

Looks like we're up to our ears in this mess and BO doesn't have clue so he says. The Russians, Iranians, and everyone else knows except people in this country and we wonder why the U.S. is hated.

Providence
10-20-2012, 07:54
...and we wonder why the U.S. is hated. Didn't you hear O.? We are now loved around the world! Just ask the Iranians! Okay, ask the Russians. Well, how about the Muslim Brotherhood?

never mind....

MZBKA
10-20-2012, 08:07
The entire situation, from start (Arab spring) to finish (Benghazi) proves a complete lack of understanding of that area of the world, and their mentality by this administration.

It also shows what happens when one junior senator is elected president, and another junior senator, whose qualifications were being an ex first lady, is made Secretary of State.

You cannot just hope a problem like islam away. And you cannot change it. It's pretty obvious the middle east needs to be dealt with from a position of strength, and not apology.

What do you think a republican administration would have done with regards to Libya?

Providence
10-20-2012, 08:58
What do you think a republican administration would have done with regards to Libya?This question opens up a can of worms for me, which, I'm assuming was your intent. My opinion is that we should withdraw and let them kill each other. But to answer your question directly, a hell of a lot better than O. did!

MZBKA
10-20-2012, 09:02
This question opens up a an of worms for me, which, I'm assuming was your intent. My opinion is that we should withdraw and let them kill each other. But to answer your question directly, a hell of a lot better than O. did!

Withdraw from where? Libya? Egypt? We don't have troops in either of those countries?
How would a Republican administration handled Egypt or Libya better than Obama? I heard a lot of criticism during both of these uprisings, but nobody could offer any alternative course of actions.

ballr4lyf
10-20-2012, 09:22
Withdraw from where? Libya? Egypt? We don't have troops in either of those countries?
How would a Republican administration handled Egypt or Libya better than Obama? I heard a lot of criticism during both of these uprisings, but nobody could offer any alternative course of actions.

I don't know... Perhaps they would have gotten better advise from the State Department. Sliced embassy security in friendlier territories like Europe and Asia, and bolstered security in hostile territories like the Middle East and Northern Africa... You know... "Common sense" type stuff.

What happened in Libya is a big deal... It is the first terrorist attack on sovereign US territory (embassies and military bases are considered sovereign US territories) that is not in an active war zone to occur since 9/11.

Cavalry Doc
10-20-2012, 09:48
What do you think a republican administration would have done with regards to Libya?

Made it last a lot longer with high casualties on both sides

Rooster Rugburn
10-20-2012, 10:27

That's impossible to predict. Would a repubican president be viewed as weak? Would a repubican president have handled the Arab spring differently? Would security be so light at an embassy in the ME?

Reagan, the original RINO. He would cut and run, like he did in Lebanon.

GWH Bush, would have run to the UN.

GW Bush, would have invaded Syria.

Rooster Rugburn, a non repubican: would have been on guard for the 9-11 anniversary. I am anyway. All embassies in the ME would be heavily defended, with numerous Marines, grenades, RPG's, claymores, and other mass casualty weapons. Standing orders would be issued that every 9-11, security would be heightened, and our nation and armed forces would be on alert a week before to a week after. Forces in the Persian Gulf would be on high alert, not only for their own defense, but ready to reach out and touch someone. When this started, the USS Whatever would have launched missiles loaded with cluster bombs, and they would have been dispersed on the crowd in front of the embassy.

I think the overall failure of this administration is to 1)think they would like US better because we elected a brother muslim and helped them with the Arab spring 2) to not have our embassies in that region heavily defended 3) not paying attention to the fact that Britain and others had pulled out of the area 4) not realize 9-11 is a day very likely for an attack. Seriously. How many people outside of the Obama administration, didn't wonder about the "riot" on 9-11. Apparently, apologies are lost on people in that area.

Whether a repubican president would have done any different or better, well, I think even Gomer the Dumb would have had more security.

pipedreams
10-20-2012, 10:49
"Withdraw from where?"
We could withdraw our embassy staff or cut it to bare minimum. Besides having the embassy in Tripoli why was there a need for a consulate in Benghazi? Our country is going broke and we need a second facility in a country like Libya. Why were they using that facility when it didn't meet any of the State Departments minimum security requirements?

" How would a Republican administration handled Egypt or Libya better than Obama?"
That's a good question but right now the buck stops with the man in the chair at the present time. We can speculate all we want but that won't fix the current problem.

countrygun
10-20-2012, 11:04

what are you trying to do? Get me to revise my list and name you as secretary of State?

MZBKA
10-20-2012, 11:33

How could the president have made Egypt's uprising last longer with more casualties ?

The president waited as long as possible in Libya and then only took action when the French started bombing.

Obama is staying out of Syria, making it last as long as possible with high casualties on both sides.

Do you agree with these foreign policy decisions?

countrygun
10-20-2012, 11:38
How could the president have made Egypt's uprising last longer with more casualties ?

The president waited as long as possible in Libya and then only took action when the French started bombing.

Obama is staying out of Syria, making it last as long as possible with high casualties on both sides.

Do you agree with these foreign policy decisions?

Openly arm one side to force the Russians to kneejerk arm the other side. Do that and we can massively increase the casualty rate.

pipedreams
10-20-2012, 11:43

Guess you missed reading about Obama/CIA sending weapons and Blackwater to Syria to aid rebels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/world/middleeast/cia-said-to-aid-in-steering-arms-to-syrian-rebels.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-syria-heavy-weapons-jihadists-2012-10

http://www.businessinsider.com/leaked-stratfor-emails-us-government-sent-blackwater-veteran-to-fight-with-rebels-in-libya-and-syria-2012-3

"Although the U.S. is not sending arms directly to rebels, most of the weapons being sent by Saudi Arabia and Qatar were purchased from the U.S. and are being funneled to the opposition (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/world/middleeast/cia-said-to-aid-in-steering-arms-to-syrian-rebels.html?pagewanted=all) by the CIA."

jakebrake
10-20-2012, 11:49

hopefully, stayed the **** out of it. not our problem.

series1811
10-20-2012, 12:43

I remember what Reagan did. It pretty much shut Qaddafi down in the terrorism department.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ronald-Reagan-and-Moammar-Qadhafi.html

Ain't history a wonderful thing? (Unless you are Obama and talking about your record, I mean).

MZBKA
10-21-2012, 03:30
hopefully, stayed the **** out of it. not our problem.

Yes. Republicans have a record of staying out of countries that are not our problem...

MZBKA
10-21-2012, 03:33
I remember what Reagan did. It pretty much shut Qaddafi down in the terrorism department.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ronald-Reagan-and-Moammar-Qadhafi.html

Ain't history a wonderful thing? (Unless you are Obama and talking about your record, I mean).

How did Reagan do in shutting down terrorism is Lebanon? You know, a place where history tells us the terrorists killed more Americans than Qadafi.

concretefuzzynuts
10-21-2012, 04:02

And so your point is.....?

Providence
10-21-2012, 07:16
And so your point is.....?

The point is to muddy the waters on how bad the o. Admin. handled Benghazi. We all know Repub. Admin.s have gotten too involved in foreign countries. But this is about Obama's mess, and what a mess it is!

series1811
10-21-2012, 08:20
How did Reagan do in shutting down terrorism is Lebanon? You know, a place where history tells us the terrorists killed more Americans than Qadafi.

Reagan pulled us out of Lebanon (except for a small contingent). Lebanon wasn't exporting terrorism, at least not as a policy or tactic. It was just blowing the hell out of itself and anybody who happened to be there. Once we pulled most of our people out of Lebananon (and we still have people there, in the same blown up embassy), and started hiring bodyguards from all of the fighting factions, the violence against us stopped.

The middle east dynamics have changed a lot since then, as well. Radical fundamentalist Islam had a lot less influence back then, than it does now. I've worked in the middle east, I'm not just regurgiating something I googled.

I know liberals try so hard to rewrite Reagan's Presidency that many won't even credit the fall of the USSR and the freedom for millions of people that resulted to him. Maybe you just had to have lived and worked through it to remember how it really was, and what really happened.

Providence
10-21-2012, 08:34
Ambassador Stevens warned of Islamic extremism before Benghazi consulate attack

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/20/ambassador-stevens-warned-islamic-extremism-bengha/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS&google_editors_picks=true