University of Missouri is hiring.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : University of Missouri is hiring..

Detectorist
10-19-2012, 18:59
It appears that POST certification can be obtained after hiring.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/sec/3350249562.html

blueiron
10-19-2012, 19:06
Advertising on Craigslist for police employment?

That is just wrong in my estimation.

Detectorist
10-19-2012, 19:31
Advertising on Craigslist for police employment?

That is just wrong in my estimation.

Why?

Heck, I've seen the CIA advertize a hiring event on Craigslist.

blueiron
10-19-2012, 21:48
One is known by the company one keeps.

Nothing our intelligence agencies do surprises me.

Hack
10-19-2012, 21:53
Heck, there are all kinds of jobs advertised on Craigs List. LE is just one area. I think I have seen BOP do it in the past.

Missouri U will train the right candidates in their academy/school. Northwest Missouri U will do like wise if they have openings for the position, if I am not mistaken. If you complete training and remain hired as a regular employee you may be eligible for union membership, although I am not sure what union it is, or maybe the FOP.

collim1
10-20-2012, 04:28
Campus LE work sucks. The major university in my jurisdiction has no police force, and is contracted with the city for LE covererage. I work campus for a week every two months. It blows. It also generate ALOT of mandatory OT. Granted its good money, but giving up a Saturday night with the wife for girls basketball/softball/baseball/gymnastics/swimming etc..gets old.

Dont even get me started on football weekends.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-20-2012, 04:56
Campus LE work sucks. The major university in my jurisdiction has no police force, and is contracted with the city for LE covererage. I work campus for a week every two months. It blows. It also generate ALOT of mandatory OT. Granted its good money, but giving up a Saturday night with the wife for girls basketball/softball/baseball/gymnastics/swimming etc..gets old.

Dont even get me started on football weekends.

I'm not LEO, but the campus police I've ever chatted with in NYS seem happy enough. They are full LEO, have guns, dogs, are union, and work in a demographically interesting environment :)

GD2J
10-20-2012, 06:11
9 times out of 10, campus PD bosses are not LE, do not have an LE background, and do not have an LE mindset.

1041TX
10-20-2012, 07:08
Very true story. Not all campus depts are like that but the majority around here are.

My short stint at a campus pd was very kindergarten- cop-esque.

Posted on my iCrack......errr iPhone.

steveksux
10-21-2012, 15:06
9 times out of 10, campus PD bosses are not LE, do not have an LE background, and do not have an LE mindset.

So I wonder why they are not considered more often for municipal Chief positions? They sound positively overqualified for the job....

Randy

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GD2J
10-21-2012, 15:32
No clue. Here in central Va, there are many college PD's, and their highest sworn position (Chief of Police) is not the master of his/her own fate. Instead, they often report to a college academian - a Vice President of Student Affairs, or some such who has no clue what it means to do real policing.

PinkoCommie
10-21-2012, 20:38
No clue. Here in central Va, there are many college PD's, and their highest sworn position (Chief of Police) is not the master of his/her own fate. Instead, they often report to a college academian - a Vice President of Student Affairs, or some such who has no clue what it means to do real policing.

Every top cop I can think of has civilian oversight. Just like every general does. It may be a pain on a practical, every day kind of level, but this is a good thing.

There are places in the world where this is not the case. I do not want to live in any of those places.

GD2J
10-21-2012, 21:08
Oversight, perhaps. Micromanagement and even downright acrimony, no. I don't know of many police agencies that have to get their policies and SOPs blessed by anyone from outside the department, but that happens routinely in a University Police setting.

Shoot, many college administrators would prefer to not even have a police department. That way, all the on-campus crime reporting can get absorbed and downplayed into larger city or town stats.

Detectorist
10-21-2012, 21:10
The campus police thing doesn't seem to be a lifetime career. However, it sure looks like a good first step for someone trying to break into law enforcement.

On the other hand, one can apply for the St. Louis Police Department. Lots of interesting shootings. Every night.

CAcop
10-21-2012, 22:26
The U near us is pretty decent for college policing. It would be better for a retirement gig that for people starting out. People starting out like to make arrests and write tickets to everybody. That doesn't fly too well with the people in the Ivory Tower. I hear from one of my former coworkers that used to dispatch up there that they pretty much sleep and watch movies all night long.

DaBigBR
10-22-2012, 09:53
Saying that all university and college policing is the same is like saying all municipal, county, state, or federal policing is the same. Things vary greatly from agency to agency. To put that in perspective, prior to 2008, the university police officers in my state could not carry firearms on duty. You heard that right. We even had a mass shooting on campus here in 1991. They have been regular, certified peace officers with powers of arrest for decades, but it (arguably) took Virginia Tech to get them armed. On the flip side, they're now armed with handguns, everybody has a rifle, and they have a tactical team. They also have added two bomb dogs, participate on our metro bomb squad and drug task force, etc.

There are university police departments with detectives, specialized assignments and divisions like bike, traffic (including motors), K9, mounted patrol, various task forces, etc, etc, etc. I've never been a university cop, but I'm also not knocking it.