who make the best quality dies. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : who make the best quality dies.

plainsman
10-19-2012, 19:20
Ive looked at some old RCBS, and some old Lyman's, and it seems RCBS's quality looked better. Any better brands to look at.

alank2
10-19-2012, 19:45
Hi,

I really like Redding:

http://redding-reloading.com

Good luck,

Alan

WiskyT
10-19-2012, 19:53
Don't overlook Lee dies. The low price is out of proportion to the quality of Lee dies. In many cases, Lee dies are actually the best regardless of price.

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2012, 19:54
Redding.

But even the Lee work great for most people.

F106 Fan
10-19-2012, 20:37
Redding or Dillon

Richard

MoNsTeR
10-19-2012, 21:51
"Quality" isn't one-dimensional when it comes to dies (or most other things for that matter).

I run Lee sizers because they size lower, and because the decapping pin is less prone to breakage. I run Redding Competition micrometer seating dies because they let me dial in different OAL's repeatably. I run Lee FCD crimp dies because there's no other post-sizing crimp die on the market (there's plenty of FCD hate out there but I'm a believer).

Side-by-side it's quite evident that Redding and Dillon dies are "better quality" than Lee dies, in many of the ways we often think about quality e.g. fit & finish. But the Lee dies do the best job, so I use them. The fact that they cost less is just a bonus.

Edit to add: I only use Dillon lock rings. Every other lock ring on the market is TERRIBLE.

shotgunred
10-19-2012, 22:25
Lee quality control is not what it should be. You can get a great die from them or a crappy one. How lucky are you?

I think everyone else makes good quality dies. I always buy Dillon for pistol because I like to seat and crimp in separate stations.

CanMan
10-19-2012, 22:46
Dillon for pistol, Redding for Rifle.

ron59
10-20-2012, 07:48
I bought Dillon dies in 9mm when I bought my first press (550), but replaced the sizing die with a Lee one and the seating die with a Redding micrometer version.

I just went ahead and bought the Redding when I started loading .45ACP. I love that micrometer seating die, and all their dies are quality.

RustyFN
10-20-2012, 10:07
Lee quality control is not what it should be. You can get a great die from them or a crappy one. How lucky are you?

I think everyone else makes good quality dies. I always buy Dillon for pistol because I like to seat and crimp in separate stations.

I'm pretty lucky. I have five sets of Lee dies and all work great. The only other dies I have used are Dillon dies and I like Lee better.

norton
10-20-2012, 10:24
I'm pretty lucky. I have five sets of Lee dies and all work great. The only other dies I have used are Dillon dies and I like Lee better.

Owning Lee, RCBS, Dillon dies, I like the Lee and Dillon for decapping pistol rounds.
I have had good luck with Lee dies. But I am not a precision re loader.

Uncle Don
10-20-2012, 13:27
It's not the looks on the outside, but rather the inside that makes the difference. If you have a set of hole gauges, you can learn allot as it relates to consistency.

Most of my dies are Lee, but I have a set of RCBS and a set of Herters. Fortunately, all my dies work fine. I've never had Reddings and they do look very nice on the outside, but if you take a flashlight and look on the inside, it's actually rougher than I expected. Could have just been the set of dies I saw, but I suspect you won't find Reddings any smoother on the inside than any other brand of die.

A couple people mentioned Redding for the seating die because of the dial feature and I can definately understand making a choice for a reason like that - but to make it simply based on perceived quality I think is mistake. Obviously, just an opinion, but it's mine.

cajun_chooter
10-20-2012, 18:01
my vote goes to Redding

F106 Fan
10-20-2012, 18:16
A couple people mentioned Redding for the seating die because of the dial feature and I can definately understand making a choice for a reason like that - but to make it simply based on perceived quality I think is mistake. Obviously, just an opinion, but it's mine.

For precision rifle reloading, I size just the neck. The Redding competition neck sizing die uses interchangeable bushings so I can get any amount of neck tension I want. The busings are PRICEY!

I also like the Redding rifle bullet seating die because it centers up the bullet as it is inserted.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with Redding for rifle.

Richard

SBray
10-20-2012, 19:06
I like the Dillion for pistol and RCBS and Redding for rifle (when I used to load them). But I know a number of people that really like the Lee dies.

Steve

APERS
10-20-2012, 19:07
Rcbs.

APERS
10-20-2012, 19:09
Don't overlook Lee dies. The low price is out of proportion to the quality of Lee dies. In many cases, Lee dies are actually the best regardless of price.
This too, Lee dies are squared away for 1/3 the cost of some brands.

PrecisionRifleman
10-20-2012, 19:41
Rcbs.

I like the RCBS dies, and they also have excellent customer service. I particularly like the RCBS gold medal match dies with he micrometer bullet seater for rifle cartridges. This is for a single stage press btw. If I were using a progressive I'd go with a Dillon and use their dies.

Bello
10-21-2012, 06:26
Imo redding the best

WiskyT
10-21-2012, 06:33
I like the Dillion for pistol and RCBS and Redding for rifle (when I used to load them). But I know a number of people that really like the Lee dies.

Steve

Great avatar. Marty Eggs!

Hoser
10-21-2012, 11:39
Redding, Forster and LE Wilson.

judgecrater
10-22-2012, 12:06
Only dies I had trouble with were Lee. RCBS have done just fine for me. Had a poor customer service experience with Redding as they felt lifetime with something less than I did.

WiskyT
10-22-2012, 15:30
Only dies I had trouble with were Lee. RCBS have done just fine for me. Had a poor customer service experience with Redding as they felt lifetime with something less than I did.

Doesn't follow that you had trouble with Redding as well?

unclebob
10-22-2012, 17:23
As a total set, Redding. I use Lee or Dillon sizer die. Redding competition bullet seat. And either a Lee or Dillon crimp die. If loading lead bullets I like to use the Dillon bullet seat and crimp dies. Just for the ease of disassembling of the die for cleaning.
I have used Herterís, RCBS, Lee, Dillon, and the Redding competition bullet seat die.

M24C
10-22-2012, 21:43
For me I've use Dillon and Lee dies. I now only use the Lee dies with my 550b Dillon on 9mm and 40 S&W. Since over 95% of the loads fit in a case gauge why change it? That's why I use the Lee dies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

EL_NinO619
10-23-2012, 01:06
Lee...

freakshow10mm
10-23-2012, 01:30
I've owned or used Lee, Lyman, Redding, Dillon, RCBS, and CH4D dies. Each have their ups and downs.

Lee has a great idea with the decapping pin setup as well as the powder die for straight wall. The lock rings really suck. Other than that and the FCD as a concept, I have no issue with the Lee dies in pistol format. The same die as a rifle cartridge concept is nice. I like the easy turn seating adjustment but it's not as solid as others. Oh, and Lee die sets come with the shellholder, which is an excellent value addition.

Lyman and RCBS are equal, as far as my experience illustrates to me. Good quality, can't go wrong. I just hate the set screw lock ring. Not the only reason I don't use them, they're just not my preference.

Dillon dies are nice as I like the ability to remove the insert to clean without changing the setting. That's a key feature that is really nice in high volume setups. The spring loaded decapping pin is nice and takes some getting used to. I like the one inch lock rings as it gives more room on a toolhead with a wrench.

I've only had experience with one set of CH4D dies for the 256 Win Mag (357 necked down). Didn't load but a few thousand rounds but I have no issues with using them again. They are just an afterthought and not the first place I go to for dies.

That brings me to Redding. Currently I run Redding dies exclusively for loading ammunition. I have a Lee universal decapping die and other than that I'm sure a Redding guy. I love the polish, the fit, the specs, and the tight threads. Really fits my toolhead nicely, which reduces the tolerance stack. Redding has dies others done even think of offering. They are the first place I look when I need dies.

390ish
10-28-2012, 08:14
forster

shotgunred
10-28-2012, 09:17
I don't like the 2 die sets. I like to seat and crimp in different dies. Over the years I have replaced all my Lee dies with Dillon dies.

ds7br
10-28-2012, 14:30
Redding Comp dies for all my long range comp rifles and 10mm auto and 357Sig. The Lee 357 Sig dies were quite bad. YMMV.

Gpruitt54
10-29-2012, 18:31
Will other manufacturers dies work correctly in Lee turret presses? If so, which manufacturers dies will work with the Lee Classic turret press?

WiskyT
10-29-2012, 18:35
Will other manufacturers dies work correctly in Lee turret presses? If so, which manufacturers dies will work with the Lee Classic turret press?

Yes, pretty much all dies are standard at this point. There are some specialized highend dies for arbor presses and such, but that's not something your likely to encounter unless you are hanging out with Hozer at the 1,000 yard line.

Only the Lee expander die will work with your Lee powder measure though.

Gpruitt54
10-29-2012, 20:39
yes, pretty much all dies are standard at this point. There are some specialized highend dies for arbor presses and such, but that's not something your likely to encounter unless you are hanging out with hozer at the 1,000 yard line.

Only the lee expander die will work with your lee powder measure though.

lmao!

Uncle Don
10-30-2012, 04:50
Redding Comp dies for all my long range comp rifles and 10mm auto and 357Sig. The Lee 357 Sig dies were quite bad. YMMV.

I guess to each their own. My Lee Sig dies have been used to load about 6 cases of ammo by now and I don't lube the cases. Not sure why anyone does - if they don't have to be formed, you really are only neck sizing and maybe pushing the shoulder back a tad depending on your chamber. Hard to belive anyones dies wouldn't work for that.

wdphillips
10-30-2012, 06:47
I primarily use Lee dies. I do use some Redding and RCBS.

Since I use the Lee powder systems I usually wind up buying the Lee powder through expander die and the FCD.

superhornet
11-02-2012, 06:48
Pacific, Bair and Herters...

Fear Night
11-02-2012, 09:59
I prefer RCBS. The quality for the price is great. I found their 3 die carbide pistol sets on sale for $40 each at Cabelas, so I picked up a few. Right now Midway has them on sale at $41.50 each. That's down at Lee level prices, which are normally said to have the best bang for the buck ...

I have always heard Redding dies are the best, but they are $75 a pop for 3 die carbide sets. When you need to buy for 10+ calibers, that really adds up. I'll probably pick up some Reddings eventually for some of my rifle calibers, though.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2012, 10:15
RCBS 3 die set is a Expander (which is useless for Lee and Dillon presses) and a bullet seating and sizer. So you basically get two useful dies for $42. Lee's three die set is basically the same setup for under $30. That is the set I buy and then I add the crimp die for about $10.

droptrd
11-03-2012, 02:51
redding is the cadalac of dies.

i also have rcbs. hornady and lee dies. the lee dies are fine for straight wall cartridges. i load 1000s of rounds of 40 with lee dies. the fcd too. my 1st 223 die set was lee. no good. went to rcbs and never had a problem. IME redding, hornady and rcbs are the way to go. all 3 offer great design and quality