Buying receiver for SBR as a trust [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying receiver for SBR as a trust

crashwg
10-19-2012, 20:42
I'm probably over thinking things again but if I could get some input on this subject it would ease my mind...

I am a notary public's signature away from forming my trust for NFA items and I am planning on purchasing a lower AR receiver which will become an SBR shortly after.

So do I purchase the lower as an individual or as the trust? If I do so as an individual I would then have to transfer it into the trust, right? If I make the purchase as the trust, how would I fill out any paperwork that comes with purchasing a "firearm" that at lower constitutes?

LA_357SIG
10-19-2012, 21:00
Buy the lower first. Get the trust notarized. Get the lower engraved with the trust name, city and state. Then submit the Form 1 along with a copy of your trust and assignment page.

-Get it engraved first, so if they or you mess it up, you can just buy another lower and submit that serial number with the Form 1.

mobilecommand
10-19-2012, 23:11
do your engraver a favor and don't Put "revocable living trust" in your trust name..

My guy threatens to charge all the people who made that mistake 50 bucks a letter lol..

Chowser
10-20-2012, 01:31
I did it that way. I had a few spare lowers sitting around, I sent two out to get engraved from two different places (trying out prices and return times).

Trust was already done, lowers were already in my name from months before. As soon as I got the first engraved lower back, I tossed that one onto my schedule A of the trust.

mailed it out with my check in mid-April. Got my tax stamp back first week of October.

Just searching now for uppers so I can build my SBR.

crashwg
10-20-2012, 10:35
do your engraver a favor and don't Put "revocable living trust" in your trust name..

My guy threatens to charge all the people who made that mistake 50 bucks a letter lol..

My original plan was to name the trust LASTNAME Firearms and Accessories Revocable Trust. I thought it would be funny to abbreviate it on the rifle and/or suppressor as LASTINITIAL. F.A.R.T. Then I did a little more research and found that abbreviating the trust name is a no-no. What a bummer.

In the end it's THE LASTNAME FIREARMS TRUST.

-Get it engraved first, so if they or you mess it up, you can just buy another lower and submit that serial number with the Form 1.

That is something to think about right there. On the one hand, it sure would suck if the engraver screwed up but on the other buying a new lower would surely suck as well. I suppose it would depend on the engraving entity being willing to take a financial hit for their mistake.

NeverMore1701
10-20-2012, 12:37
I'm probably over thinking things again but if I could get some input on this subject it would ease my mind...

I am a notary public's signature away from forming my trust for NFA items and I am planning on purchasing a lower AR receiver which will become an SBR shortly after.

So do I purchase the lower as an individual or as the trust? If I do so as an individual I would then have to transfer it into the trust, right? If I make the purchase as the trust, how would I fill out any paperwork that comes with purchasing a "firearm" that at lower constitutes?

What route did you go getting your trust drawn up?

Chowser
10-20-2012, 14:54
I made mine short. i combined parts of each kids name so my lowers are engraved

KID1KID2 TRUST
CITY ST

Makes it unique and also short for the engraver.

i had Orion Arms do my first one, was about $55ish and took about a week. i had a local trophy store do my second one, took 3 days and while not as small as Orion Arms, it's pretty close. cost me $15.

I'll be going back to the trophy place for all future engravings.

i followed a simple trust setup from ar15 dot com and it worked just fine. took just under 6 months to get my stamp back.

NeverMore1701
10-20-2012, 17:19
I made mine short. i combined parts of each kids name so my lowers are engraved

KID1KID2 TRUST
CITY ST

Makes it unique and also short for the engraver.

i had Orion Arms do my first one, was about $55ish and took about a week. i had a local trophy store do my second one, took 3 days and while not as small as Orion Arms, it's pretty close. cost me $15.

I'll be going back to the trophy place for all future engravings.

i followed a simple trust setup from ar15 dot com and it worked just fine. took just under 6 months to get my stamp back.

Care to post a link to the arfcom trust you used? I'd appreciate it.