Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 22:59
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/romneys-bain-capital-invested-in-companies-that-moved-jobs-overseas/2012/06/21/gJQAsD9ptV_print.html

Mitt Romney’s financial company, Bain Capital, invested in a series of firms that specialized in relocating jobs done by American workers to new facilities in low-wage countries like China and India.
During the nearly 15 years that Romney was actively involved in running Bain, a private equity firm that he founded, it owned companies that were pioneers in the practice of shipping work from the United States to overseas call centers and factories making computer components, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

countrygun
10-19-2012, 23:21
He ran a company that made a profit.

That's something Obama has never experienced

Rooster Rugburn
10-19-2012, 23:26
Would you prefer they shut the business down completely?

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 23:34
He ran a company that made a profit.

So did Bernie Madoff and Ken Lay.

On a spectrum of business, from building a company from the bottom up with employees like family -to- Gordon Gekko style vulture capitalism, where would you say Romney lies?

W420Hunter
10-19-2012, 23:35
Yea b/c liberals jacking up corporate tax rates rates had nothing to do with it right? You toss in the union albatross around there necks and it is a easy choice.

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 23:36
Would you prefer they shut the business down completely?

That's what he did with GSK Steel. He bought it with loans, loaded it with debt, raided workers pensions then parted it out.

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 23:37
Yea b/c liberals jacking up corporate tax rates rates had nothing to do with it right? You toss in the union albatross around there necks and it is a easy choice.

So, how is Romney going to get tough on China now?

W420Hunter
10-19-2012, 23:38
That's what he did with GSK Steel. He bought it with loans, loaded it with debt, raided workers pensions then parted it out.

Or he bought it, found out he could not save it and then did what ever he could to try to get his money back?

countrygun
10-19-2012, 23:40

On a spectrum of business, from building a company from the bottom up with employees like family -to- Gordon Gekko style vulture capitalism, where would you say Romney lies?

Ohh liberal envy and hatred of the successful.

They made a profit and did quite well keeping other businesses running. a business wasn't viable big deal.

You can't even make an intellectual argument against Bain, just emotion.

I for one certainly hope that Romney brings some of that savvy to the White House with him and trims down the Government to rid it of dead wood. Which is of course your biggest fear.

The "Desperation Samba" is being performed by featherlicker for our entertainment.

W420Hunter
10-19-2012, 23:45
So, how is Romney going to get tough on China now?

See now we are on two different topics. We can do nothing to make china change there tax rates. We get tough on china by pressuring them into stopping there practice of currency devaluation in order to even out the trade deficit.

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 23:59
You can't even make an intellectual argument against Bain, just emotion.

So, let's recap.

I post an article that's well researched, informative and one that may prompt serious discussion from honest participants.

You ignore the article and make a specious claim and reduce the issue to profits and losses.

I make a rejoinder that points out other good profit makers and pose a more simple question that may be easier for you to answer.

Then you claim I'm being anti-intellectual and emotional.

I'd imagine that you think you're quite clever. Or maybe you're just working on some sort of 1,000 post a month quota. Do you get a free set of toenail clippers if you reach it?

W420Hunter
10-20-2012, 00:05
So, let's recap.

I post an article that's well researched, informative and one that may prompt serious discussion from honest participants.

You ignore the article and make a specious claim and reduce the issue to profits and losses.

I make a rejoinder that points out other good profit makers and pose a more simple question that may be easier for you to answer.

I'd imagine that you think you're quite clever. Or maybe you're just working on some sort of 1,000 post a month quota. Do you get a free set of toenail clippers if you reach it?

Are you really calling the junk bond king who got rich off insider trading a "good profit maker"?

Flintlocker
10-20-2012, 00:05
See now we are on two different topics. We can do nothing to make china change there tax rates. We get tough on china by pressuring them into stopping there practice of currency devaluation in order to even out the trade deficit.

It certainly not entirely different. Romney, in his earlier days, made sizable profits sending jobs to China. Now he says he's going to crack down on the same, or at least similar, circumstances that allowed him to profit.

Sure, we can pressure them to stop manipulating their currency. We might even see some success and they may open it up to be priced on world markets. But that does very little to address the core issues and trade imbalances involved. Really, this is just more window dressing from Romney in his years long quest to say just the right things to just the right audiences while being as vague as possible.

W420Hunter
10-20-2012, 00:09
It certainly not entirely different. Romney, in his earlier days, made sizable profits sending jobs to China. Now he says he's going to crack down on the same, or at least similar, circumstances that allowed him to profit.

Sure, we can pressure them to stop manipulating their currency. We might even see some success and they may open it up to be priced on world markets. But that does very little to address the core issues and trade imbalances involved. Really, this is just more window dressing from Romney in his years long quest to say just the right things to just the right audiences while being as vague as possible.

And you still skip over the fact that it is tax rates that make it smarter for them to move over seas. Tax rates that the left has pushed for. Tell me what did Obama do in his first term that put the screws to china?

Flintlocker
10-20-2012, 00:13
Are you really calling the junk bond king who got rich off insider trading a "good profit maker"?

If the only metric is making a profit, as Countrygun alluded to, then there's no other conclusion to make- he made profits, billions of dollars worth. The point I was trying to make is that there are other standards to evaluate.

W420Hunter
10-20-2012, 00:18
If the only metric is making a profit, as Countrygun alluded to, then there's no other conclusion to make- he made profits, billions of dollars worth. The point I was trying to make is that there are other standards to evaluate.

There is a huge difference here he did it by braking the law. Romney broke no law.

Flintlocker
10-20-2012, 00:21
And you still skip over the fact that it is tax rates that make it smarter for them to move over seas. Tax rates that the left has pushed for. Tell me what did Obama do in his first term that put the screws to china?

Tax rates could be substantially lower, even zero in the case of overseas tech support, to make it more profitable to work from China in a completely laissez faire market. Tell me how Romney's 'exploitation' (for the lack of a better word) of these conditions for great personal profit, and to the detriment of 10's of thousands or hundreds of thousands of Americans, makes him the go to guy for the answer.

An interesting sidebar: even Romney's bro Marco Rubio has something to say about Mitt's plan.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., on Tuesday said Mitt Romney’s policy toward China “could kick off a trade a war that would be bad for the economy."

http://news.yahoo.com/rubio-agree-obama-china-currency-issue-190127937--politics.html

W420Hunter
10-20-2012, 00:35
Tax rates could be substantially lower, even zero in the case of overseas tech support, to make it more profitable to work from China in a completely laissez faire market. Tell me how Romney's 'exploitation' (for the lack of a better word) of these conditions for great personal profit, and to the detriment of 10's of thousands or hundreds of thousands of Americans, makes him the go to guy for the answer.

An interesting sidebar: even Romney's bro Marco Rubio has something to say about Mitt's plan.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., on Tuesday said Mitt Romney’s policy toward China “could kick off a trade a war that would be bad for the economy."

http://news.yahoo.com/rubio-agree-obama-china-currency-issue-190127937--politics.html

Wow way to pick and choice what you respond to. First I re-ask what Obama has done to be tough on china. And the fact that he is willing to make the changes to fix the system makes him the right choice. And where did this hole "bro" Rubio come from?:dunno:

happyguy
10-20-2012, 04:47

And so has our U.S. Government under Barak Obama.

Well, at least some of the ones that haven't gone bankrupt have moved jobs overseas.

Then of course there are the stimulus funds (taxes you and I pay) that went directly to overseas companies.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Sam Spade
10-20-2012, 05:29
IF Romney did that--and given your history of fact manipulation here, I'm not prepared to concede that--he did it with his money. Obama has done it with my money.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2918075/posts

Snowman92D
10-20-2012, 05:33
IF Romney did that----he did it with his money. Obama has done it with my money.

Oh....that. :okie:

DOC44
10-20-2012, 05:43
footlocker's stinch of desperation is diffusing from past instead of looking the 911 dogs that biting us now. What was obama doing in the 90s?

Doc44

jakebrake
10-20-2012, 07:15
back to d.u. you stink of failure.

see if you can find a date that thinks you're worth a box of jimmies, feather

ballr4lyf
10-20-2012, 08:45
OK. Willing to concede that if you'll concede that George Soros did the same thing, and also that most democrat politicians haven't run a multimillion dollar business that wasn't a law firm.

So what's worse? Being a successful businessman who made a profit for his company and its employees, or a blood-sucking lawyer who gained his success by "working" the system. Remember, the businessman had hundreds of employees to satisfy. The lawyer had two paralegals and a secretary he could bang when the wife was out of town. :tongueout:

QNman
10-20-2012, 08:57
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/romneys-bain-capital-invested-in-companies-that-moved-jobs-overseas/2012/06/21/gJQAsD9ptV_print.html

Mitt Romney’s financial company, Bain Capital, invested in a series of firms that specialized in relocating jobs done by American workers to new facilities in low-wage countries like China and India.
During the nearly 15 years that Romney was actively involved in running Bain, a private equity firm that he founded, it owned companies that were pioneers in the practice of shipping work from the United States to overseas call centers and factories making computer components, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

You're right... that's WAY worse than using taxpayer dollars to subsidize a corporation like GM to shop their jobs overseas. :upeyes:

How many employees still have their jobs because Bain saved the business from complete collapse? You may have to research that yourselves... The WashPo is unlikely to report that for you.

JFrame
10-20-2012, 09:30

This comparison is so phenomenally ignorant and stupid, it merits no response.

Cavalry Doc
10-20-2012, 09:59
Flint,
As long as it was your job, we are ok with it.

I heard Barry has some investment in companies that outsource jobs too, and WH women make less than the men.

wrenrj1
10-20-2012, 10:01
So, let's recap.

I'd better check my S&P retirement fund. God forbid any of those "evil" companies have an international presence and employ people in other countries...

countrygun
10-20-2012, 11:21

No, those aren't "Standards" those are your "judgements" that you would like to give credibility to by renaming them.

Fail

F350
10-20-2012, 12:22

Obama outsourced the entire US manned space program to the Russians; didn't mention that did ya??

series1811
10-20-2012, 12:41
You just can't make Flintlicker and the other DUers go near Obama's record can you?

Bring_it!
10-20-2012, 13:01
18 more days till tho OP dissapears back to DU.:wavey:

domin8ss
10-20-2012, 13:02
Wow! Suddenly The Washington Post is considered reliable and fair. I need to stop sleeping like Rip Van Winkle and rejoin this new crazy era.

Providence
10-20-2012, 13:06
The article did not mention Benghazi or F & F or the long list of green cosines that took money borrowed from China and then went bankrupt. Besides that Romney didn't build Bain!

hogship
10-20-2012, 13:21
Part of the problem with shipping jobs overseas, is us.....the American citizens. For decades, we've been saying "buy American", but not enough of us did.......many of our jobs, and industries would still be here, if "we the people" had done exactly what we knew, deep down our souls, that's what we should have been doing.

I hope Romney starts talking about tariffs........Hell, we are shut out of other world markets by nearly everyone else. If we really want to jolt our industries, jobs, and economy, it's high time we start initiating some legal protections for our industries and citizens. Once our economy is back on track, then we can discuss fair trade again. (FAIR trade, what a laugh! It's fair for everyone.....but, us!)

ooc

W420Hunter
10-20-2012, 13:38
Man I have to say once some other people jumped in on this Flint got real quite........ :whistling:

countrygun
10-20-2012, 13:54
Man I have to say once some other people jumped in on this Flint got real quite........ :whistling:

Hit and run trolling. even it doesn't think it's posts are worthwhile...go figure:upeyes:

aircarver
10-20-2012, 14:19
Hit and run trolling. even it doesn't think it's posts are worthwhile...go figure:upeyes:
But it will continue ... as long as the (stimulus) payroll holds out ... :upeyes:

wjv
10-20-2012, 20:42
So, let's recap.

Your claims are full of ****. . .

DMaddox
10-20-2012, 22:20
Remember, obama will be a lot more flexible after the election!.....hopefully because he will be unemployed so he will have more time on his hands to be "more flexible".

coastal4974
10-20-2012, 22:24
Who cares Mitt is still better than re electing the little Nazi :wavey:

Bren
10-21-2012, 14:10

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Again, a perfect flintlocker failure.

countrygun
10-21-2012, 14:31
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Again, a perfect flintlocker failure.

I would be a lot more impressed with Featherlicker's commitment to the seriousness of this problem if it divested itself of all personal possessions made overseas and swore never to purchase a single item that was not 100% "made in the USA"

Yes I would like to see it try. Every computer it has bought has "invested money in overseas businesses".

Oh, wait, so many foriegn companies are invested in US companies, I guess it has to narrow that down to companies "wholly owned by US interests" lest it invests in overseas businesses.

Jim in MI
10-21-2012, 15:03
I though a guy name Bain founded Bain Capital.

It seems odd that Romney founded a company and then called it Bain.

It seems odd that Romney joined a company called Bain Capital after getting a J.D. and a MBA at Harvard, but somehow gets credit for founding a company that already existed.

I guess if this is how liberals look at history, it makes sense their view of economics is off a tad as well.

ModGlock17
10-21-2012, 15:05
Do you have that graphics about beating a dead horse ??? It belongs here.

countrygun
10-21-2012, 15:08
Do you have that graphics about beating a dead horse ??? It belongs here.

:deadhorse:

That do it?

:supergrin:

ModGlock17
10-21-2012, 15:11
:deadhorse:

That do it?

:supergrin:

Absolutely!

ModGlock17
10-21-2012, 15:11
double post.. sry.

Paul7
10-21-2012, 17:56

What's the surprise, many countries want to escape Obama-style taxes and regulations.