Salt Lake Tribune endorses Obama, lambastes Romney [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake Tribune endorses Obama, lambastes Romney

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 23:10
http://bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2012/10/19/salt-lake-city-paper-endorses-obama-lambastes-romney/zECSAG540qtopaTNY83Z3N/story.html

The Salt Lake Tribune endorsed President Obama for reelection Friday, with an editorial that was highly critical of Republican challenger Mitt Romney, who is as close to being a favorite son candidate from Utah, the historic and cultural center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as a nonresident can be.
The Tribune, published by MediaNews Group, criticized Romney’s “servile courtship of the Tea Party” to win his party’s nomination and called him “shameless” in pandering to various constituencies, terming him the GOP’s “shape-shifting nominee.”
“Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign: ‘Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?’ ” the editorial states. It also said he “has repeatedly refused to share specifics” of many of his proposals.

countrygun
10-19-2012, 23:19
It was a FAIL when you brought it up in this thread

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19536196#post19536196

And it's still a fail.

They backed Obama last election and Utah still voted Republican.

Loser

Flintlocker
10-19-2012, 23:23
It was a FAIL when you brought it up in this thread

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19536196#post19536196

And it's still a fail.

They backed Obama last election and Utah still voted Republican.

Loser

I didn't comment in that thread.

And that's the best you can muster when biggest paper in Utah kicks Romney in the nuts? Pretty weak.

Batesmotel
10-19-2012, 23:24
The Trib is an Anti-Mormon rag. Always has been, always will be. They traditionally bash everything even remotely related to the LDS Church or any prominent member. It is one of the most biased, one sided papers in the nation when it comes to politics and religion.

Rooster Rugburn
10-19-2012, 23:33
The Trib is an Anti-Mormon rag. Always has been, always will be. They traditionally bash everything even remotely related to the LDS Church or any prominent member. It is one of the most biased, one sided papers in the nation when it comes to politics and religion.

Somebody from Salt Lake would certainly know better than the OP, who is grasping at straws in desperation.

countrygun
10-19-2012, 23:34

and once again, the facts go right past Featherlicker, as does the fact that the same paper endorsed Obama last time, and the state voted McCain

Another Diddledy-squat thread by the frantic liberals

The desperation from the liberals is getting quite amusing.

UtahIrishman
10-19-2012, 23:37
The Salt Lake Tribune has always been a liberal leaning paper. No surprises there.
It has two redeeming values over it's counterpart, The Deseret News. It's not owned by the LDS church and it has better cross-word puzzles.

I will put up with a lot for a good cross-word puzzle

Batesmotel
10-20-2012, 00:04
[QUOTE=UtahIrishman;19536520It has two redeeming values over it's counterpart[/QUOTE]

I would say more than that. It is a great paper. Just very biased against the church. People who don't live here can't understand the dynamics of Utah politics and religion. Strange but always interesting.

BTW my Wife's uncle is Paul Rolly. Great editorialist for the Trib. I don't always agree with him but he is fair and factual.

kirgi08
10-20-2012, 06:10
:fishing:

aircarver
10-20-2012, 06:52
More FUD from the enemy operative.

jakebrake
10-20-2012, 07:13

And that's the best you can muster when biggest paper in Utah kicks Romney in the nuts? Pretty weak.

it's the best you can muster? gallup showing a 7 point spread, and you recycle this?

slither back to d.u. you stink of fail, and it's making us ill.

JFrame
10-20-2012, 09:48
Hmmm...No comment by the OP about a progressive newspaper that endorsed Obama last time endorsing Romney this time...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448488

As Bill Whittle would say, "It does not fit the narrative..." :cool:

kirgi08
10-20-2012, 10:18
Slacker.'08. :whip:

hogfish
10-20-2012, 10:37
I don't see why they would endorse Obama over Romney: Obama is against polygamy. :whistling:

marchboom
10-20-2012, 10:37

Well, if a newspaper printed it, it must be true. We all know how honest and truthful newspapers are. :rofl:

flintlicker, pedal your crap elsewhere. Maybe the huffington post or move on.org.

kirgi08
10-20-2012, 10:39
Youse forgot DU.'08 :sad:

UtahIrishman
10-20-2012, 12:21
I would say more than that. It is a great paper. Just very biased against the church. People who don't live here can't understand the dynamics of Utah politics and religion. Strange but always interesting.

BTW my Wife's uncle is Paul Rolly. Great editorialist for the Trib. I don't always agree with him but he is fair and factual.

I subscribe to it and in general I'd agree with your assessment though I don't think they're particularly anti-Mormon. But I don't read editorials much so I may be missing something there.

Acujeff
10-20-2012, 16:34
A progressive newspaper endorsing a progressive candidate is not news.

Progressive newspapers rejecting Obama and endorsing Romney is news.

Progressive Newspapers Orlando Sentinel and Nashville Tennessean Endorse Romney

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-ed-endorsement-president-mitt-romney-101912-20121018,0,6927962.story

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121018/OPINION01/310180040/Time-another-change?odyssey=mod%27newswell%27text%27Opinion%27p&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

countrygun
10-20-2012, 16:44
A progressive newspaper endorsing a progressive candidate is not news.

Progressive newspapers rejecting Obama and endorsing Romney is news.

Progressive Newspapers Orlando Sentinel and Nashville Tennessean Endorse Romney

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-ed-endorsement-president-mitt-romney-101912-20121018,0,6927962.story

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121018/OPINION01/310180040/Time-another-change?odyssey=mod%27newswell%27text%27Opinion%27p&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

If Featherkicker's little news deserves it;s own thread this probably does. Of course, featherlicker was subtly trying to use what he hoped would be an accepted stereotype of Utah (Mormons don'tcha know) in typical liberal bigot fashion.

stevelyn
10-21-2012, 00:19
I guess Flintlicker forgets that regardless of location, the media are firmly in the enemy camp. THis is not news.

domin8ss
10-21-2012, 01:25
Flintlicker needs to wake up. Salt Lake City is the most liberal city in Utah, narrowly edging out Park City. However, Salt Lake County still voted for McCain. Salt Lake County is the smallest county in Utah, and is pretty much restricted to the Salt Lake Valley, of which Salt Lake City is the largest city geographically speaking. You can pretty much see all of the county borders from any point in the county. Summit County voted Obama in 08. They were the only county in Utah to do so. Park City is in Summit County, and the largest year round town in it too. Park City has a population of approximately 8,000 year round. That means the rest of the county is pretty rural, and very Republican.

As for The Salt Lake Tribune, I do not recall the last time they supported a Republican. They even worshipped Mayor Rocky Anderson. Everybody knows he is an idiot. As an ambassador of Salt Lake City, he protested against Bush visiting instead of greeting him. Next election he was gone. I wonder if Sean Hannity beating his ass in a debate like Romney did Obama in the first debate had anything to do with it. That event sold out faster than NBA Finals tickets when the Jazz & Bulls went at it. Comcast Cable had it On Demand for over a month.

Why am I chiming in when I live in Illinois? I'm a Utah Man. Grew up there, and still legally a resident. My last home was in the Sugar House area of Salt Lake. Btw, thanks for reminding me, I still need to send in my absentee ballot.