Sig Sauer 522 or GSG 522SD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer 522 or GSG 522SD

dukeblue91
10-20-2012, 09:54
So I have been looking at the GSG 522SD mostly and really like the look and feel of this rifle but have heard really good things about the Sig Sauer 522 and a local gun shop has some refurbs from sig direct for about $350.00
so I'm a little torn on which one to get.
Does anybody have some experience with both of them and could help me with this little dilemma.

CnRnut
10-20-2012, 16:29
If you can get the Sig for that price,I'd jump on it.
I have a GSG-5SD,really like it,but I do like my buddies Sig.
GSG's are going for $295 around here(at Dick's no less) but Sigs are
almost $500 if you can find one.

ETA:
Mags for the Sig are a lot cheaper and better built.
44mag.com for your Sig mag needs.

SGT_Calle
10-20-2012, 16:38
I can only speak for the sig and tell you it's probably my favorite at the range.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/21/ynane3uz.jpg

CMG
10-20-2012, 18:16
The Sig 552 is made of much better materials than the GSG 522. My GSGs ran ok, but they are mostly inexpensive alloy, with a few steel bits only where absolutely necessary.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/History/ATIGSGSD.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/History/S522CpaM3.jpg

GWG19
10-20-2012, 21:10
My Sig 522 is wearing a GemTech can, a ND3 illumination device, and Nikon P22 scope, it's primary role is perimeter protection from insurgent Squirels and the night attack by suicide Rabbits.
I also have a GSG5 it is a hoot and I use it for 22 matches. It is a little finicky feeding when it is dirty. I suppose I could use the GSG5 for cqb if the varmints get in to close.
Both are great guns.

dukeblue91
10-23-2012, 16:26
Well I decided to go to the gun shop this weekend that has the refurb sig's on special and take another look at it.

I really love the look and feel of the GSG quite a bit but do also think from everything I read and found on the internet that the Sig may be a better gun in the long run.

Thank you to everyone that answered me and also for the pictures of your beautiful guns.

KingWalleye
10-24-2012, 15:05
I am a big fan of the Sig. It chews up and spits out everything I feed it. The folding stock makes it so easy to carry in the truck for feral cat patrols.

gnubberlang
11-02-2012, 02:26
I don't know if you already made a choice or not but I feel the need to chime in on the GSG522. I havn't shot the sig so I can't say anything about it.

I bought one new based on a few positive reviews I read and the price. Long story short, 200 rounds later I sold it to a local gun store and havn't missed it for a second! Felt like I was having one malfunction per mag (which BTW it only comes with a 10 round mag new). The whole thing felt pretty cheap. Most specifically the sorry excuse for a stock on the back of it and the trigger from a spray bottle of windex.

dukeblue91
11-02-2012, 08:11
I don't know if you already made a choice or not but I feel the need to chime in on the GSG522. I havn't shot the sig so I can't say anything about it.

I bought one new based on a few positive reviews I read and the price. Long story short, 200 rounds later I sold it to a local gun store and havn't missed it for a second! Felt like I was having one malfunction per mag (which BTW it only comes with a 10 round mag new). The whole thing felt pretty cheap. Most specifically the sorry excuse for a stock on the back of it and the trigger from a spray bottle of windex.

Wow this seems like a bad experience you had with yours.
I have not had a chance to buy one or the other as my car had some severe issues that needed to be addressed and set me back a heap financially so I had to hold of on fun stuff.
But as soon as I'm liquid again I will take another look at them.

billwade
11-05-2012, 14:56
I have a sig and it has been flawless. After more than 15000 rds the firing pin broke and sig still sent me a new firing pin for free.

CDR_Glock
11-10-2012, 07:55
I love my 522 SWAT. I have an Eotec 512 and 3x magnifier on it. No back up sights, though.