The standoff took two lives that day. Ten years later, it took one more. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The standoff took two lives that day. Ten years later, it took one more.

ronduke
10-20-2012, 13:14
Local ATF agent Jeff Ryan was haunted by LA shooting, plagued by PTSD, before taking his life.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/fayetteville_native_jeff_ryan.html

blueiron
10-20-2012, 13:26
More than a few 1811s find the Fed to be a piss-poor to a horrible employer.

Plenty of people want to work for an ABC agency, but stories like this are not an isolated exception.

janice6
10-20-2012, 13:31
What a crying shame....

Detectorist
10-20-2012, 13:50
More than a few 1811s find the Fed to be a piss-poor to a horrible employer.

Plenty of people want to work for an ABC agency, but stories like this are not an isolated exception.

It appears to me that he had severe mental issues. Maybe he had them before the shooting, maybe after.

One thing for sure, being in a combat situation and seeing people die changes you, most times it's not for the better.

R.I.P. Agent Ryan.

blueiron
10-20-2012, 14:24
More evidence in support of my statement:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/10/12/atf_whistleblower_fired_in_dennys_parking_lot

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/18/AR2009061804434.html

One can implicate the dead for being solely responsible, but casual implication before or after the fact does not assign clinical diagnoses, defer others responsibility, or absolve employer controllable variables.

Humans are dynamic entities, not static.

DaBigBR
10-20-2012, 15:49
Take of yourselves and each other, guys.

:fallenofficer:

Chico Bill
10-20-2012, 22:40
Deputy Kuredjian worked for my agency prior to my employment and this incident occurred about five miles from my home at the time. I remember listening to the news reports and seeing the smoke from the burning home as my family left for a labor day vacation trip. I've seen his locker and all the messages written on it. He ran to the sound of guns to help his fellow deputies and fellow law enforcement. So sad it didn't have to happen that way.

There is a famous picture of an LASD SEB (SWAT) deputy loading the M60 machine gun on top of one of the armored vehicles.

The incident changed policy for the LASD when assisting outside agencies, because if the details of the investigation were known, it would have been an SEB entry, not a simple door knock. There were other issues...tactical issues...things from which we can, and have learned.

I'm sad to see it appears this agent wasn't supported by his agency. This has resulted in another tragedy and children growing up without a father.

Hack
10-20-2012, 22:48
I do pray for his family, and have a hope that he himself may be at peace.

In being a devout Christian, I have been asked from time to time if I think there is a possibility that a person who has offed himself has gone to be with G-d. I will be honest in saying that there are certain things that we only think we have answers to, but the facts remain that G-d is the only One who has the answers to certain things. If a person offed himself due to mental and physical illness driving a person towards that action, I think there is a chance that that particular person may have gone to heaven, provided that he had accepted the salvation that G-d offers. The facts are that we are all frail, some more so than others. We don't know exactly what may drive us to the point of offing ourselves.

Sharkey
10-21-2012, 07:34
A sad story on so many levels. Praying for his family.