Ready for IDPA next Wed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ready for IDPA next Wed.

ADK_40GLKr
10-20-2012, 21:59
Spent a few hours in my basement and finally finished off a batch of target ammo for this coming week's practice: 100 .40 S&W 165 gr plated HP over 6.8 meticulously measured and weighed grains of Power Pistol on my single stage Lee press.

The repetitive activity was rather pleasant and mind-numbing. :yawn:

Did the math and found that I can do a thousand .45 GAP for about 40 cents each including shipping. Less, actually since I already have enough powder.

Have to achieve a balance between time at the range and time at the bench. It takes a lot longer to load it than it does to shoot it! :faint:

jmorris
10-21-2012, 07:20
Forget about the GAP for IDPA, it won't do anything for you. If your going to stick with the 40 try plated 180's and N320.

If you shoot IDPA for long your going to buy a progressive.

PCJim
10-21-2012, 07:49
Agree with JM. You might also consider lead bullets for your competition shooting. The paper won't know the difference, but your wallet sure will.

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 08:16
Some win 231 under 180 bullet makes a nice soft shooter for IDPA.

IDPA will probably encourage you to buy a progressive press.

F106 Fan
10-21-2012, 08:40
Spent a few hours in my basement and finally finished off a batch of target ammo for this coming week's practice: 100 .40 S&W 165 gr plated HP over 6.8 meticulously measured and weighed grains of Power Pistol on my single stage Lee press.

The repetitive activity was rather pleasant and mind-numbing. :yawn:

It is boring beyond endurance. It's a good lesson to load a couple of hundred on a single stage press. At the end, you are absolutely certain that this isn't the way to do the job.

Did the math and found that I can do a thousand .45 GAP for about 40 cents each including shipping. Less, actually since I already have enough powder.

There's something wrong with your pricing. Precision Delta sells 165 gr FMJ for $120/1000 shipped. Primers are about $30/1000 but you have to add HazMat and shipping. Powder is usually around $10/1000. At most, your loaded rounds should cost $160/1000. You should be able to knock $40/1000 off that price if you move to lead bullets.

If you buy powder and primers from Powder Valley, the HazMat fee is $27 so you need to buy enough stuff to make the fee an insignificant part of the bill. In some cases, however, you can recover the fee in only a couple of thousand primers. It depends on how predatory your LGS is about pricing reloading supplies.

Have to achieve a balance between time at the range and time at the bench. It takes a lot longer to load it than it does to shoot it! :faint:

Which is why many reloaders have progressive presses with case feeders. Even the 500 rounds per hour that can theoretically be made on a Dillon 550 is too slow for some. I say theoretically because everybody who makes the 500 rounds per hour claim reloads their primer tubes on some other time frame. Four hundred is probably more realistic if you include loading the tubes.

Richard

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 08:52
If you will shoot mollies you can get both the 180 gr. 40 bullet and the 185 grain 45 bullet for $70 a K. and be reloading both for $100 a K.

dwhite53
10-21-2012, 11:38
I load on a Lee hand press. I do about 60 rounds an hour. It meets my needs.

Loading to me isn't a matter of how fast I can crank out ammo. It's meditative and relaxing. I like the repetitive motion.

I like feeling the primer seat properly. I like dipping and dropping the powder charge and lining them up in a tray to check the powder fill before seating each, individual bullet.

Reloading is kind of like good lovin'.

All the Best,
D. White

jmorris
10-21-2012, 21:26

Loading to me isn't a matter of how fast I can crank out ammo. It's meditative and relaxing. I like the repetitive motion.
As much as I like relaxing, repetitive motions, if I could only crank out 60 rounds an hour I would either buy factory ammo or quit the run and gun games.

SARDG
10-21-2012, 21:54
It is boring beyond endurance. It's a good lesson to load a couple of hundred on a single stage press. At the end, you are absolutely certain that this isn't the way to do the job...
All it took to convince me to buy a progressive - right out of the gate, was to read about loading on a single stage. :cool:

...everybody who makes the 500 rounds per hour claim reloads their primer tubes on some other time frame. Four hundred is probably more realistic if you include loading the tubes.

Richard
I have the Dillon Primer Filler that vibrates a tube-full of primers in less than 2 minutes, while I am nearby working the press producing rounds. However, for those who desire to get into a complete reloading system for $300-$500, this wouldn't be the accessory for you at $360+ for 2 primer sizes.

SARDG
10-21-2012, 22:04
As much as I like relaxing, repetitive motions, if I could only crank out 60 rounds an hour I would either buy factory ammo or quit the run and gun games.
:phew: Just completed a GSSF match this weekend where it took me about 2 hours to shoot through 600 rounds. IDPA practices and match each month = 500+ rounds; steel practices and match each month = another 500+ rounds.

F106 Fan
10-21-2012, 22:10
All it took to convince me to buy a progressive - right out of the gate, was to read about loading on a single stage. :cool:

I have the Dillon Primer Filler that vibrates a tube-full of primers in less than 2 minutes, while I am nearby working the press producing rounds. However, for those who desire to get into a complete reloading system for $300-$500, this wouldn't be the accessory for you at $360+ for 2 primer sizes.

I'm jealous!:crying:

At the moment, I am investing in gun futures and doing a little rifle shooting. That new Chargemaster is getting a workout.

The primer filler is on my list but I want a couple more rifles first. And Nightforce scopes and...

Richard

ron59
10-22-2012, 07:50

I like feeling the primer seat properly. I like dipping and dropping the powder charge and lining them up in a tray to check the powder fill before seating each, individual bullet.

Reloading is kind of like good lovin'.

All the Best,
D. White

I shoot 200 per week in practice, then another 150 or so in a match. At 350 per week, that's like.... 6 hours at your rate? That might be okay at first, being something new, but would get VERY old, very fast. At least for me.

Assuming I have primers already loaded in tubes (I often pick up an entire brick of 1000 in one sitting), I can load 100 rounds in like 7 minutes on a 650. Boom, headshot!

Not being critical of single stages (or your process), just giving a different viewpoint. The 30 minutes or so to load 350 vs the 6 hours gives me 5.5 hours of sitting-on-my-butt time!! LOL

SDGlock23
10-22-2012, 08:44
Save some more $$ by getting some lead bullets. You can't beat lead for price, and I personally like Missouri bullets. I won a match last night with some 170gr Missouri SWC I loaded over 4.0gr WST @ 1.140" and it's a sweet shooter. My KKM barrel eats them like candy and they have very mild, well... low recoil and cuts a nice cookie-cutter hole in the cardboard targets so you can easily see if you need to take a make up shot.

WST isn't nearly as smokey as TiteGroup either. Their 200gr "Steeler" works very well over 3.5gr WST @ 1.140" too...same with their 180gr TCFP.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=11