Fired round stuck in the barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fired round stuck in the barrel

lturnerwa
10-20-2012, 22:26
Has any one had the experience of getting a fired round stuck in the barrel?

I'm very careful with my reloading, I spot check the loads, the AOL, I gauge and barrel test my rounds after I load them.

Tonight I was at the range and had fired about 4 rounds when the action stuck shut, it wouldn't eject the last fired around.

I called for the range master who after some effort managed to eject the fired brass. I reloaded the magazine and tried to load a new round but it wouldn't chamber. I removed the barrel and could see there was a bullet still in the barrel, it was high enough in the barrel that it prevented another round from getting chambered, thank God.

I say fired round, because I thought was but now after what found, I'm having second thoughts. It must have been a miss fire or light load.

This scares the crap out of me, to think if that round was further down the barrel and new was chambered I could have blow up the barrel and my self.

I always try to confirm that a round has left the barrel by looking for the impact on the target, but that is not 100% as some time I miss the target or go through the same hole and can't really tell where it.

This was a real wake-up call for me!!!

I was able to remove the round from the barrel.

Paul53
10-20-2012, 23:16
Do a search on "squib load" or "squib round."

countrygun
10-20-2012, 23:31
You should be very glad it didn't go far enough down the barrel to allow you to seat another round. You really have to be careful shooting (I hate to sound "preachy" but I always advide new reloaders and new shooters the same thing: If something feels or sounds wrong STOP and figure it out before you go any farther)

I 'Gilligan'ed a batch of reloads years ago. I bought a bunch of unlubed lead bullets for the heck of it. I didn't have lubing and sizing gear so I was a little sloppy and heavy on the lube, as in "From A-hole to appetite" apparently a LOT of lube was on the base of the bullts and the sat in a hot truck for several hours in a gear bag. The lube was soft enough that some must have slipped down on the powder charge (it was a light load of Unique) greating the neates little sort of "Hangfire" I've ever seen. the grease kept the grains from firing very fast and with just the primer an a grain or two wedged the bullet twixt forcing cone and cylinder as the rest of the powder "sputterfired"

I was glad there was no one there.

sig357fan
10-20-2012, 23:32
if any round fired doesn't recoil or sound like a normally fired round, stop....check...verify....the barrel is clear.

if you are reloading on a progressive or turret press, set up a small light to shine down into the powder charged brass and verify every powder charge before seating the bullet.

if you are using a single stage press and charging cases in a load block, use a light and check every charge, then place a bullet in the brass before going onto the bullet seating operation to prevent powder spillage.

if something doesn't look right, heck if it dosn't feel right....stop.....check....verify.

sig357fan

I Shooter
10-21-2012, 04:27
It sounds like the round didn't have any powder in it. I was at a I.H.M.S.S. I fired four rounds then on the fifth the cylinder wouldn't move. A bullet was stuck between the cylinder and the barrel. I had to take a cleaning rod and drive it back into the cylinder.

It seems that I hadn't put any powder in that round and the primer was enough to send it part way into the barrel.

I am much more care full now. I have checks on my checks to keep it from happening again.

eracer
10-21-2012, 04:45
It sounds like the round didn't have any powder in it. I was at a I.H.M.S.S. I fired four rounds then on the fifth the cylinder wouldn't move. A bullet was stuck between the cylinder and the barrel. I had to take a cleaning rod and drive it back into the cylinder.

It seems that I hadn't put any powder in that round and the primer was enough to send it part way into the barrel.

I am much more care full now. I have checks on my checks to keep it from happening again.I was just talking to a friend of mine who had the exact same experience with a factory .38 SPL round.

I often wonder about how many times a gun (or worse, a shooter) has been damaged by a squib round during rapid-fire. I'm sure this is part of the reason so many ranges have the hated 'no rapid fire' rule in place.

ADK_40GLKr
10-21-2012, 06:34
Has any one had the experience of getting a fired round stuck in the barrel?

I would guess many of us have our SQUIB stories! I wasn't quite as smart as you were about it though. I cleared the misfeed, inserted a new mag, chambered a fresh round and fired again!

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443840

Looks like the WWB GAP round had no powder in it & the bullet got about halfway down the barrel!

OUCH!

Later, I fired a 9mm round with ONLY THE PRIMER the other day. (no powder & no slug) it makes a very distinctive POP sound, kinda like a kid firing a cap gun (remember them?)

That sound means there's something very wrong. STOP SHOOTING! Field strip the pistol and check the barrel!

ADK_40GLKr
10-21-2012, 07:13
I was just talking to a friend of mine who had the exact same experience with a factory .38 SPL round.

I often wonder about how many times a gun (or worse, a shooter) has been damaged by a squib round during rapid-fire. I'm sure this is part of the reason so many ranges have the hated 'no rapid fire' rule in place.

Fortunately, in a semi, the squib round usually won't be strong enough to cycle the action. That helps, unless you insist on "clearing the jam", reloading and shooting again!

A revolver will already have another round in place. The owner of my LGS said a guy brought him a revolver with 4 or 5 bullets lodged in the barrel!

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 08:28
Last year at a IDPA match we had a guy with 5 squibs. He was paying so much attention to his run that he never noticed the pop instead of the bang. However a bunch of people shouted stop! After the fifth one we would not let him shoot anymore. It seemed pretty obvious that he had run out of powder and hadn't noticed.

When ever something goes wrong you should stop and figure out what really happened.

PrecisionRifleman
10-21-2012, 15:38
I had this happen 1 time, and I cleared the barrel by beating the bullet out with a rubber mallet and a 30 caliber cleaning rod (45ACP barrel). Spray some CLP in both ends of the barrel, and beat the bullet out in the direction of least resistance. It sounds to me like your squid load didn't push the bullet into the barrel very far so I would beat the bullet from the muzzle end of the barrel toward the chamber. Also try to keep the cleaning rod from beating against the inside of the barrel and all will be well.

Note: In the future if you don't see a round impact on the target DO NOT try to shoot again. Always check the barrel for an obstruction. I too learned this the hard way, and like you I was very lucky the bullet didn't make it far enough down the barrel to allow another round to be chambered and fired (which would have blown up the gun).

dkf
10-21-2012, 16:53
I am guilty of not carrying one with when I shoot but. You should carry a piece of wood rod to check for a squib. Lock the slide back (with no mag in) and stick the rod through the barrel. If the stick comes out the breech you are good to go. If not you have a stick to pound the bullet out with. A hardwood dowel is not going to damage the barrel.

lturnerwa
10-21-2012, 17:20
That is what I used when I got home, it worked great. I will put in my range bag,

PrecisionRifleman
10-21-2012, 18:44
That is what I used when I got home, it worked great. I will put in my range bag,

Glad to hear the wooden rod worked. I had to use a brass cleaning rod because the bullet was an XTP. When you start beating on the nose of an expanding bullet it tends to expand rather than just move out the barrel. I had to beat the bullet hard enough that it came apart to get it out. Needless to say my cleaning rod is worthless now.

PrecisionRifleman
10-21-2012, 18:47
Fortunately, in a semi, the squib round usually won't be strong enough to cycle the action. That helps, unless you insist on "clearing the jam", reloading and shooting again!

A revolver will already have another round in place. The owner of my LGS said a guy brought him a revolver with 4 or 5 bullets lodged in the barrel!

Tough revolver. I feel pretty confident in saying that I think a Glock would have blown up with a single round being fired with an obstructed barrel.

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 18:56
Next time you are in a sporting goods store pick up a Muzzle loader Bullet Starter. They start at $3.00 to around $20. They are perfect for clearing your barrel and tap on the ball to remove a squib.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/products/original/316555_1.jpg

ADK_40GLKr
10-21-2012, 19:37
Tough revolver. I feel pretty confident in saying that I think a Glock would have blown up with a single round being fired with an obstructed barrel.

My G38 barrel "bellied" a bit so the slide stuck on it, and it blew the magazine out, but there didn't APPEAR to be any other damage.

Of course the WWB 45GAP ammo probably saved the day because it was so weak, AFTER causing the squib in the first place.:whistling:

SARDG
10-21-2012, 21:08
...Note: In the future if you don't see a round impact on the target DO NOT try to shoot again..
That's not going to happen. I simply cannot see 9mm holes on paper that's 25, sometimes 35 yds away - and depending on the discipline, I am shooting and moving to the next target. And my splits may be very quick on close targets.

My only hope is that the semi-auto won't cycle on a squib.

PrecisionRifleman
10-21-2012, 21:56
My G38 barrel "bellied" a bit so the slide stuck on it, and it blew the magazine out, but there didn't APPEAR to be any other damage.

Of course the WWB 45GAP ammo probably saved the day because it was so weak, AFTER causing the squib in the first place.:whistling:

Wow! Scarey stuff! I'm glad she held together and protected you!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PrecisionRifleman
10-21-2012, 22:22
That's not going to happen. I simply cannot see 9mm holes on paper that's 25, sometimes 35 yds away - and depending on the discipline, I am shooting and moving to the next target. And my splits may be very quick on close targets.

Then my suggestion is to shoot a larger caliber :tongueout: Just kidding lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

F106 Fan
10-21-2012, 22:39

You probably already know how low the powder charge has to be before the gun doesn't cycle. Now all you need to know is that the bullet will still come out at that charge.

That way, with loads below the 'doesn't cycle' limit, it doesn't matter if the bullet comes out. Well, except for the part where it spoils the match.

It might be worth throwing a little experimentation at this question.

Richard

countrygun
10-21-2012, 22:56
I think there is a bit of a problem with some of the advice in thatif the bullet is still in the barrel the pressure has nowhere to go but back against the breechface and it is entirely possible that if it is doing so afte the barrel unlocks it can push the slide far enough to pick up another round.

Except in the Luger and a couple of others the actions are not kept locked by the pressure but by mechanics that depend on distance travelled to "time" the unlocking.

Some guns would be more prone to this than others. For example 'Hollywood" often used Star pistols in 9mm as stand ins for 1911s when blanks were to be fired. to facilitate cycling the action they would put a restrictor plug in the barrel with a hole in it to both allow a flash out the muzzle and to facilitate tuning the plug, by changing the size of the hole, to the blank charge. This would obviously be similar to a bullet stuck in the bore.

The size of the 9mm bore created more backpressure. I believe the eventually went to removing the locking lug (some Stars only had one IIRC) to make them a sort of "blowback" operation.

engineermike
10-21-2012, 23:13
I have had a few of those :embarassed:, I just didn't get powder in the case while reloading. The problem "for me was not and still is enough light" at my loading bench. I bought a cheap flash light and put it on my bench and after I fill "a few or a lot" of cases with powder I take my light and look down each case to be sure they all contain powder before moving on to the bullet seating part. I would have to say that a contributing factor was loading to fast too. As was suggested before look for threads talking about "Squib Loads" and look for the signs while at the range or in the field.

The wood dowels work until you splinter one, you may want to check into a properly sized brass rod. (Just a suggestion)

PrecisionRifleman
10-21-2012, 23:24
[QUOTE=engineermike;19542420
The wood dowels work until you splinter one, you may want to check into a properly sized brass rod. (Just a suggestion)[/QUOTE]

I agree. There is no way a wood dowel would have held up to the beating it took to get the squib loaded XTP out of my 45 barrel. My brass rifle cleaning rod was toast after I was done.

SARDG
10-21-2012, 23:26
You probably already know how low the powder charge has to be before the gun doesn't cycle. Now all you need to know is that the bullet will still come out at that charge.

That way, with loads below the 'doesn't cycle' limit, it doesn't matter if the bullet comes out. Well, except for the part where it spoils the match.

It might be worth throwing a little experimentation at this question.

Richard
My notes are at home, and I'm in Mobile. I didn't try enough true experimentation to draw positive conclusions (but maybe I should). On all of my three (3) loads however, the gun(s) have quit cycling before the bullet failed to leave the barrel. Wouldn't hurt to make some incremental lower loads to develop empirical data.

Steve Koski
10-21-2012, 23:39
I've made a couple squibs. Both on purpose just so I could see what it's like.

El_Ron1
10-22-2012, 00:18
I've made a couple squibs. Both on purpose just so I could see what it's like.

http://blog.newsok.com/thirstybeagle/files/2010/02/Jonathan-Goldsmith2.jpg

njl
10-24-2012, 22:49
I've removed 3 Zero 230gr JHP squibs using a wood dowel. AFAICT, they were all cases of either no powder or powder not igniting. They all happened at a local match. By the 3rd one, the dowel squib rod was splintered and I think I tossed it. In every one of these, it was obvious something was wrong. The gun went "pop" instead of "BANG" and there was no recoil. In each case, I cleared the malfunction, and when I saw empty brass and not a misfired cartridge come out, I knew I was screwed.

While RO'ing a GSSF match, I stopped a guy from possibly blowing up his Glock when he had a squib and tried to clear a malfunction and continue.