I need advice on Firearm Insurance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on Firearm Insurance

kgain673
10-21-2012, 01:29
My agency will allow you carry your personal rifle or shotgun if they meet standards and your qualified with them. If you wait for the agency issued firearms you will never get one. They must be stored in the trunk per policy, but will they will not cover the cost if they are destroyed in a collision. The probability of being rear ended is quite high at my department (scary I know). So does anyone know where I can find some decent coverage?

domin8ss
10-21-2012, 01:54
Nra??

Vigilant
10-21-2012, 02:21
Have you checked with your homeowner's insurance agency?

blueiron
10-21-2012, 02:28
If I understand your query, you are looking for insurance to cover your personal firearms, when used for work.

Homeowners insurance won't likely cover a work related loss and as far as I recall, NRA coverage is designed for personal loss through theft and liability.

You'd be smart to check with the NRA carrier to see if such insurance is available from them or to check with an independent insurance agent to see what is available for personal property used as a workplace tool.

blueiron
10-21-2012, 02:31
Who indemnifies your flashlights, clipboards, bags, clothing items, binoculars, etc., if the unit is torched, totaled in a collision, blown up, etc.?

My agency covered it out of pocket.

blueiron
10-21-2012, 02:42
You must be an NRA member to get these benefits from Lockton Risk Services, Inc.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/ArmsCarePlus.htm

blueiron
10-21-2012, 02:47
For those looking for off duty liability or retired cop liability insurance [note for those Retired On Duty (RODs) - Do you even know if your sidearm is loaded? :upeyes:]; here is the answer -

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/forms/Retired_Officer_Self-Defense_Article.pdf

You must be an NRA member to qualify.

GRIMLET
10-21-2012, 03:36
I carry a government vehicle rider policy on my patrol truck. It costs $30 a year. It carries my personal vehicle insurance over to my work truck. Check into that. Maybe it will cover your firearm.

DaBigBR
10-21-2012, 07:23
Looking for coverage?

How about a Pelican case?

kgain673
10-21-2012, 08:05
Looking for coverage?

I don't think a pelican case will survive a rear end collision if your trunk is smashed in.

SCSU74
10-21-2012, 10:13
Looking for coverage?

Haha was going to say the same thing. One of our guys was smashed into by a drunk and his trunk was almost completely collapsed. Fd used a pry bar on the trunk and wouldn't ya know his rifle was still ok in a very damaged pelican. After seeing that its the only rifle case ill ever use :)

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

kayl
10-21-2012, 10:31
Contact your local State Farm agent and ask about a personal articles policy. It should be what you're looking for...
I have one on my camera stuff and my most-often traveled with guns.

DaBigBR
10-21-2012, 15:06
I don't think a pelican case will survive a rear end collision if your trunk is smashed in.

You might be surprised. Remember, the goal is not for the case to survive, it's for the contents to survive. There are dozens of videos showing the durability of such cases (Pelican, Storm, Explorer, etc) including long drops, immersion, being run over by massive vehicles, lit on fire, etc. They hold up.

I honestly think that you're over thinking it, anyway. Rifle in the trunk, even personally owned is very common around here and I have never heard of anybody insuring them. When you say "the probability of being rear ended is quite high at my department", what does that mean, exactly?

Consider the potential cost of said insurance and the fact that not one person has posted any mention of even KNOWING anybody who had their long guns damaged in a crash.

davsco
10-21-2012, 17:15
before you pay a nickel for any insurance, make sure you understand how the insurance company will compensate you for your loss. i had a brand spanking new high end AR stolen from my residence. only a few days after my purchase and had not been shot yet. insurance wanted to depreciate it. of course i raised holy heck and ended up getting the full cost.

also be super clear with your insurance agent re insuring a personal weapon for a possible work loss and have him show you where it says that would be covered.

lawman800
10-21-2012, 22:46
Check your agency policy on personally used equipment on duty. We have an explicit policy that states any authorized personal items used for duty and damaged while in the line of duty will be reimbursed. Absent that, I would think hard about a good Pelican case and secure it so it's not going to be in a position where it is liable to be crushed right away in a crash.

kgain673
10-22-2012, 05:58
i did watch the video of the pelican case getting crushed by a fire truck and the eggs were not broken. Impressive, I just might think about that case. Maybe I am over thinking the whole thing.

frizz
10-22-2012, 08:50
before you pay a nickel for any insurance, make sure you understand how the insurance company will compensate you for your loss. i had a brand spanking new high end AR stolen from my residence. only a few days after my purchase and had not been shot yet. insurance wanted to depreciate it. of course i raised holy heck and ended up getting the full cost.

also be super clear with your insurance agent re insuring a personal weapon for a possible work loss and have him show you where it says that would be covered.

I don't know if this will apply to this kind of coverage, but it is a good idea to get "replacement value" coverage if it is available. For contents on a homeowner's/renter's policy, this gets you get a new replacement, regardless of how worn the item is; the extra premium is seldom very much more. I one had a renter's policy that was $120/yr with replacement value. I could have bought the non-replacement policy for $110/yr.

I don't know how this will apply to a stand-alone or rider policy, but it is worth checking out. Davsco's admonishment is on the money -- be careful about any sneaky language that excludes work-related property.

kayl
10-22-2012, 10:32
I don't know if this will apply to this kind of coverage, but it is a good idea to get "replacement value" coverage if it is available. For contents on a homeowner's/renter's policy, this gets you get a new replacement, regardless of how worn the item is; the extra premium is seldom very much more. I one had a renter's policy that was $120/yr with replacement value. I could have bought the non-replacement policy for $110/yr.

I don't know how this will apply to a stand-alone or rider policy, but it is worth checking out. Davsco's admonishment is on the money -- be careful about any sneaky language that excludes work-related property.

Last time I had my PAP quoted out it was $1.27/$100 coverage per year- full replacement cost coverage :)