My 20 year old nephew asked me about politics - so I explained it to him [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My 20 year old nephew asked me about politics - so I explained it to him

mixflip
10-21-2012, 08:23
I am not a political person normally. I dont push my political beliefs on people. And for the record I am not a republican or a democrat in case you are wondering?

Most of my friends and family are conservatives but do have quit a few liberal and democrat friends (almost the same thing nowadays lol)

Anyway, my 20 year old nephew said he wants to vote but didnt know much about politics so he wanted to pick my tiny little brain lol.

He is young, unemployed, goes to community college and is pretty much clueless when it comes to the issues in America.

He didnt even know the difference between the two parties. I asked him and he said...

"I think...republicans care about money and democrats care about whats best for the country"

Long story short, I talked to him for a few hours as balanced as I could be on Obama vs Romney and the basics of the issues these presidents usually support or dont support.

I told him basically it boils down to what you personally believe is right when it comes to each issue. No candidate is going to mirror your views perfectly. (usually)

As the old saying goes...pick the lesser of the 2 evils.

My question is... Is there a website that is unbiased that can do a better job at explaining the pros & cons of the parties?

Like I said I am not very political even though I do feel I have a decent understanding of the topics and issues more today than I have ever in my past.

I think the kid leans more conservative at heart but like most youth he thinks Barry is cool regardless of his political record.

Baba Louie
10-21-2012, 08:37
I prefer to use the Mommy v. Daddy parties for simple explanations. (even tho no simple explanation will suffice actually)

One party, we'll call it the Momma Party, will most certainly take charge of your life from cradle to grave is she is allowed to do so. Rules change for little rhyme or reason it seems other than Moms whim and the freedom to do so.

The other party, the Daddy party, wants to make sure his family is doing well, is dedicated to work and wants to see ALL of his kids work and ensures that he has allowed them to do so via the freedoms they enjoy. More hesitant to change.

You could go back to the days of Tories and Whigs, Federalists too, and teach the evolution of the US political parties from British days or rule (always interesting), because they have evolved, are still evolving and hopefully, will continue to do so. Hopefully for the better.

My Dad always taught, Dems represent the people. Repubs, Business. We need both.

But no simple explanation can do the topic justice I fear.

Eurodriver
10-21-2012, 08:40
If Republicans are the party of the rich, and the Democrats are the party of the poor - and elections are won by getting the most of your kind of people to vote for you....

Wouldn't Republicans want everyone to be rich? Conversely, wouldn't Democrats want everyone to be.....???

Annoyedgrunt
10-21-2012, 08:49
Should have just told him

"Imagine the president is a hamster and the U.S. is his exercise wheel. You're basically voting for what color you want the hamster to be because this country was bought and sold and paid for years ago anyway, and too many people are so fixated and enthralled by their hyper-partisan talk-radio shows and entertainment talking-head "news" shows that they are unable to step back, look around, and realize that it's the same damned wheel that's turning."

:patriot:

Providence
10-21-2012, 08:50
Dims want you to vote on subjective issues - emotions, who is cool, who do the media like, and things like that. But this election is a referendum on Pres. Obama's last 4 years. How has he done? A basic, logical question. Look at the economy, omens tic issues, and foreign policy.

Or you could just ask your Nephew if he knows that Obamacare is going to require him to carry health insurance or pay a hefty penalty.

zoyter2
10-21-2012, 08:56
Should have just told him

"Imagine the president is a hamster and the U.S. is his exercise wheel. You're basically voting for what color you want the hamster to be because this country was bought and sold and paid for years ago anyway, and too many people are so fixated and enthralled by their hyper-partisan talk-radio shows and entertainment talking-head "news" shows that they are unable to step back, look around, and realize that it's the same damned wheel that's turning."

:patriot:

Awesome. At least ONE person in GNG understands American politics. I was wondering if everyone here became the walking dead on election year.

happy seal
10-21-2012, 08:57
yup, tell him it doesn't matter who he votes for =
The Fed and the CIA run the country!

A candidate can make all the promises he wants to, when he gets in office he is a puppet of the system.

smokin762
10-21-2012, 09:02
My daughter is a teenager. She and I have had the talk about politics many times. I am conservative but I guess I am leaning towards libertarian also. I want more rights and fewer laws. Her mother is a hardcore liberal.

I have told my daughter, that both the Republican and Democrat Parties have issues that are not friendly to us little people.

The Republican Party wants to allow employers to screw over the workers at will and if you are against it than your evil and should move to Canada or Europe. You should be willing to work for peanuts because that is what the market dictates. But, you should be willing to pay 3 times the going rate for products because they say so.
The Democrat Party wants to put employers in chains and tax the crap out of them because they had the gall to become successful. Then they want to force them to over pay lazy employees who are not willing to follow the employment agreement. You work and Iíll pay you. What donít lazy people get?:dunno:

In my opinion, both Parties have outlived their usefulness. I think itís time to look elsewhere for an upgrade.

certifiedfunds
10-21-2012, 09:04
At the 4th of July fireworks show, I had a talk with my 6 year old about taxes. When I explained to her that if the government, who pays for the fireworks, didn't steal so much in taxes from Mommy and Daddy we could LIVE at Disney World....she gasped.

She asked what would happen if Mommy and Daddy didn't pay. I told her the government will send men to our house with guns to take the house, her bike and all of her toys. They might even shoot her dog. Then they would put Mommy and Daddy in jail.

I wasn't certain the message stuck but just the other night she told my wife that she told her teacher that she would vote for Romney because he won't steal as much taxes from her Mommy and Daddy.

Now, I'm not sure that's COMPLETELY accurate :rofl:but it's close enough.

LASTRESORT20
10-21-2012, 09:06
Dims want you to vote on subjective issues - emotions, who is cool, who do the media like, and things like that. But this election is a referendum on Pres. Obama's last 4 years. How has he done? A basic, logical question. Look at the economy, omens tic issues, and foreign policy.

Or you could just ask your Nephew if he knows that Obamacare is going to require him to carry health insurance or pay a hefty penalty.

Yup! :)

Providence
10-21-2012, 09:17
I have noticed a small amount of libertarian views beginning to creep into Repub. positions. An example would be Ryan's position of states rights on the medical Mary Jane issue. Libertarianism is long considered a liberal view, but it is nowhere in any Dem. views. They actually believe that a large centralized government is good for the economy. That is a tenet of Keynesian economics.

So if Repub. is for business, then Dem. is for Govt.

certifiedfunds
10-21-2012, 09:28
I have noticed a small amount of libertarian views beginning to creep into Repub. positions. An example would be Ryan's position of states rights on the medical Mary Jane issue. Libertarianism is long considered a liberal view, but it is nowhere in any Dem. views. They actually believe that a large centralized government is good for the economy. That is a tenet of Keynesian economics.

So if Repub. is for business, then Dem. is for Govt.

Libertarianism isn't a liberal view, unless you consider Thomas Jefferson a liberal.

What muddy's the water is that Progressivism has so thoroughly infiltrated the "conservatives".

Decriminalized MJ, on the federal level, is most definitely the conservative view.

zoyter2
10-21-2012, 10:15
A candidate can make all the promises he wants to, when he gets in office he is a puppet of the system.

#2!

(eliminating the walking dead...one epiphany by one).