Snowboarding Lessons = Highway Robbery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding Lessons = Highway Robbery

DanaT
10-21-2012, 08:36
OMG.

So my kid hasnt been old enough for snowboarding lessons and she has been in ski school up until now. But she really wants to snowboard.

I can somewhat sorta snow board. I have doen it some, but after a day I go back to skiing. So, lets leave it that my snowboarding ability is not anywhere close enough to be able to teach her.

I have always put her in ski school until now at the local ski area (no hotels, lodges, etc), just skiing. Prices have been "reasonable."

My wife booked most of a week around Xmas at a lodge at Winter Park.

I just looked at snowboard school. Holy bejesus. $169/day.

WTF is with that? That is robbery. They use public land and still charge that kind of money. Maybe I need to find a coupon.

Eurodriver
10-21-2012, 08:38
I've never seen snow.

Edit: Its a free market, they can charge what they like. If people aren't paying it - the prices will fall.

Maybe you need to just earn more money and shut up? ;)

DanaT
10-21-2012, 08:41
Maybe you need to just earn more money and shut up? ;)

Maybe it should be subsidized by the govt. After all it is "for the children". I can even say that it should be included as a health care benefit as teaching children to live and active healthy life is health care related.

Eurodriver
10-21-2012, 08:43
Maybe it should be subsidized by the govt. After all it is "for the children". I can even say that it should be included as a health care benefit as teaching children to live and active healthy life is health care related.

No. Way too dangerous. Children? Snowboarding? The horror.

They should just become vegetarians. Then no one will need exercise and they can play video games (non-violent Y rated that teach diversity) all day.

Hines57
10-21-2012, 08:48
I always thought these two accounts were the same person, thank you for proving it.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 08:48
ED. A picture for you.

This was my kid's ski instructor last year...

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/skiinstructor.jpg

.264 magnum
10-21-2012, 08:49
OMG.

So my kid hasnt been old enough for snowboarding lessons and she has been in ski school up until now. But she really wants to snowboard.

I can somewhat sorta snow board. I have doen it some, but after a day I go back to skiing. So, lets leave it that my snowboarding ability is not anywhere close enough to be able to teach her.

I have always put her in ski school until now at the local ski area (no hotels, lodges, etc), just skiing. Prices have been "reasonable."

My wife booked most of a week around Xmas at a lodge at Winter Park.

WTF is with that? That is robbery. They use public land and still charge that kind of money. Maybe I need to find a coupon.

Do it.

Getting your kiddo off to a good start through buying a number of lessons is cheap money in the long run. That and you are free to get loaded up on Peppermint Schnapps and hot chocolate at lunch and the kid will be none the wiser.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 08:49
I always thought these two accounts were the same person, thank you for proving it.

WTF are you talking about?

DanaT
10-21-2012, 08:51
Do it.

Getting your kiddo off to a good start through buying a number of lessons is cheap money in the long run. That and you are free to get loaded up on Peppermint Schnapps and hot chocolate at lunch and the kid will be none the wiser.

But my wife doesnt ski much. A half day is enough for her. The hot chocolate and schnapps would mean I would lose a half of skiiing in peace.

Bruce M
10-21-2012, 09:08
But my wife doesnt ski much. A half day is enough for her. The hot chocolate and schnapps would mean I would lose a half of skiiing in peace.:rofl::rofl:

FLIPPER 348
10-21-2012, 10:07
OMG.

As a former snowboard instructor on Public Land I wonder what the 'public land' thing has to do with anything.

sourdough44
10-21-2012, 10:23
Just give him a board & let him find his own way.

RenoF250
10-21-2012, 10:30
ED. A picture for you.

I think I would be taking lessons too.

gatorboy
10-21-2012, 10:39
Front arm open the door for backside turns, close the door for frontside turns. Trailing arm at your side. Both as low as possible with both knees slightly bent. She'll ge it from there. I used to ride 100+ days/year. Free passes, boards, everything. Lived in Bozeman and hiked the ridge a few days a week. Went to Chile and Argentina in August one year for a month. Blew my ACL bad, no more snowboarding for me. Have a great time. Can't wait to have kids and show them how to surf and snowboard.

gatorboy
10-21-2012, 10:41
As a former snowboard instructor on Public Land I wonder what the 'public land' thing has to do with anything.

Yeah, 99% of resorts are on N.F. land. Heli-boarding is even on N.F. land.

Glock&KimberLady
10-21-2012, 10:47
Biggest piece of advice I can give is KNEES BENT.

Lesson did nothing for me other than to teach me to box step. Everything else, I learned on my own.

Numbah One Son had one lesson, and is now an expert rider.

Kids learn fast!

FLIPPER 348
10-21-2012, 11:32

agreed

DanaT
10-21-2012, 11:33
agreed

What are you talking about?

raven11
10-21-2012, 11:35
ED. A picture for you.

Does she do Zumba classes :whistling:

FLIPPER 348
10-21-2012, 11:35
The maturity level of your postings is about the same.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 11:38

Thank you.

But I dont have a c-class...

frizz
10-21-2012, 11:47
ED. A picture for you.

WOW! Did you get any?

Goldendog Redux
10-21-2012, 11:56
If your kid can already ski, paying for snowboard lessons is stupid-any more than a half day group lesson. Snowboarding is easy and takes no where near the skill as skiing.

Lessons are good day care however.

MF

FLIPPER 348
10-21-2012, 11:57
WOW! Did you get any?

I wonder if some of the 'men' on GT have ever been around women.

frizz
10-21-2012, 12:04
I wonder if some of the 'men' on GT have ever been around women.

You really need to come up with better insults.

FLIPPER 348
10-21-2012, 12:10
It's not an insult but rather an observation. A man posts a pic of a girl and somebody asks if he 'got any'.

....perhaps we need an age restriction of over 16 for posting??

Eurodriver
10-21-2012, 13:09
ED. A picture for you.

Thats only $169 a day? A girl like that usually runs me $300/hr on Backpage. :rofl:

Thank you.

But I dont have a c-class...

No C-Class? How unfortunate. You're not truly rolling in style then...

Eurodriver
10-21-2012, 13:10

This is the first I've ever heard of this.

God, if I was DanaT I would be in heaven....and I'd probably have an S-Class.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 13:14
It's not an insult but rather an observation. A man posts a pic of a girl and somebody asks if he 'got any'.

....perhaps we need an age restriction of over 16 for posting??

The ski instructor she was a CU student...one has to be 18 to be a ski instructor.

BTW. That is a very good paying job for college students.

OctoberRust
10-21-2012, 13:16

Because he's not a raging democrat liberal like you?

DOH! This is Dana's 3rd account right here. You guys caught me, errr, him.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DanaT
10-21-2012, 15:39
Because he's not a raging democrat liberal like you?

DOH! This is Dana's 3rd account right here. You guys caught me, errr, him.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually, I am a number 2 model. People here seem to get me confused with the other 11 models. We are not one in the same.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 15:47
God, if I was DanaT I would be in heaven....and I'd probably have an S-Class.

Not true. The benz that I like is a C63 black series.

Small car + powerful engine = fun

Glock&KimberLady
10-21-2012, 16:35
Skiing/snowboarding is expensive.

Nearly $5000 for passes this year. But considering that we go 60-70 times in the season, well worth it.

Snowboarding has a high learning curve. Maybe one day or half day, but after that, time on the mountain is the only thing that helps.

holesinpaper
10-21-2012, 16:46
Who the heck needs lessons? When I learned no one was officially 'teaching' for money. You just went up with friends, learned like 3 things (toe edge, heel edge, pivot)... and then fell down every minute or so for a few hours.

Then you'd fall down every 5 minutes for a hour or so. Then every 10 minutes. By the end of the day you were doing full runs without falling down.

Cost was free, after buying equipment (because back then they didn't rent it).

Snowboarding is way easier than skiing imho, at least to pick up the basics.

So take your kid up, rent some equipment, and enjoy falling down as you both learn.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 16:49

Nearly $5000 for passes this year. But considering that we go 60-70 times in the season, well worth it.

Snowboarding has a high learning curve. Maybe one day or half day, but after that, time on the mountain is the only thing that helps.

That is Aspen prices.

A season pass to Aspen is $1600 (per person).

Most of the other resorts are around $400 per person for an annual pass and kids are about $250.

The bad thing is, time on the mountain is one thing, but I really cant help out. I can fake it and get down the mountain, just not really well. I guess that is why I just stick with skiing.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 16:51
Who the heck needs lessons? When I learned no one was officially 'teaching' for money. You just went up with friends, learned like 3 things (toe edge, heel edge, pivot)... and then fell down every minute or so for a few hours.

I am old enough to remember when boarding wasn't allowed at many resorts.

sappy13
10-21-2012, 18:37
Just have her go out and watch people on the slope, then go practice on the bunny slopes at first. Thats how I learned how to do it. Just about guarantee you could find someone to give her a quick 10 minute lesson on how to get up, move, and stop. Getting off the lift the first time on a board is kinda scary, so have her do it alone her first time. Youtube tutorials beforehand would help too

Annoyedgrunt
10-21-2012, 18:44
Hmmm. Sounds like price gouging to me. :whistling:

Maybe the prices should, you know, be regulated by the government. :whistling:

Or, you could just... what's that oft-repeated phrase around these parts? "Vote with your wallet"? Yeah, that.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 18:50
Hmmm. Sounds like price gouging to me. :whistling:

Maybe the prices should, you know, be regulated by the government. :whistling:

Or, you could just... what's that oft-repeated phrase around these parts? "Vote with your wallet"? Yeah, that.

I think the prices should be regulated. These prices hurt the middle class and are making skiing/snowboarding out of reach of the middle class.

Only elitist will be able to afford it without price controls.

Annoyedgrunt
10-21-2012, 19:19
I think the prices should be regulated. These prices hurt the middle class and are making skiing/snowboarding out of reach of the middle class.

Only elitist will be able to afford it without price controls.

I fervently hope certifiedfunds doesn't read these last couple of posts, or he's going to be short a monitor after his fist goes through it.

:rofl:

Gallium
10-21-2012, 19:22
I have seen theft of copper wires and aluminum fixtures from highways, but to date I have not heard or read of any instances of highways being stolen, or robbed.

Dubble-Tapper
10-21-2012, 19:27

wtf? where do you ride? my passes are 524 for Mt Hood Meadows, and 495 for the Timberline/Skibowl Fusion. 3 resorts for around a grand.

SMOKEin
10-21-2012, 19:43
I have a family of ski and snowboard instructors. Is this an individual one on one lesson? If so, not bad. Take what she learns to the beginner slopes a few times, then go back for another.

Glock&KimberLady
10-21-2012, 20:24
wtf? where do you ride? my passes are 524 for Mt Hood Meadows, and 495 for the Timberline/Skibowl Fusion. 3 resorts for around a grand.

$750 each for me and Mr. GKL
$300 each for Numbah One Son, Dotta One and Dotta Two
$1450 for Tiny Hurricane Child (daycare)

Yeah, that's expensive. Schweitzer Resort in North Idaho.

DanaT
10-21-2012, 20:48
I have a family of ski and snowboard instructors. Is this an individual one on one lesson? If so, not bad. Take what she learns to the beginner slopes a few times, then go back for another.

No. That is listed prices for group lessons.

http://www.winterparkresort.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/kids-lessons.aspx

DanaT
10-21-2012, 20:49
I have seen theft of copper wires and aluminum fixtures from highways, but to date I have not heard or read of any instances of highways being stolen, or robbed.

Obviously you have not seen road repairs after utility companies dig up a road...

floorburn_21
10-22-2012, 00:09
If your kid can already ski, paying for snowboard lessons is stupid-any more than a half day group lesson. Snowboarding is easy and takes no where near the skill as skiing.

Lessons are good day care however.

MF

I skied for 18 years and have been snowboarding for 5 now as well. I completely disagree with the easy comment. Anyone can snowplow down the hill on skis day one at their own pace. After a day of falling, I'm happy if the kid can link turns and wants to come back for another session. (and no I'm not overpaid unfortunately, it's volunteer)

TBO
10-22-2012, 00:15
Drivers Ed uses public roads/parking lots, how dare they charge for that!

DanaT
10-22-2012, 07:50
Drivers Ed uses public roads/parking lots, how dare they charge for that!

I agree. Someone else should be paying for that too. There are some things I have learned from GT, one of which is the rich should be paying for everything.

Glock30Eric
10-22-2012, 07:52
I agree. Someone else should be paying for that too. There are some things I have learned from GT, one of which is the rich should be paying for everything.

and USA must go after ME countries regardless what the circumstances are.

OctoberRust
10-22-2012, 07:55
and USA must go after ME countries regardless what the circumstances are.

And that drugs are bad and should be illegal, because I know how to live your life better than you, and it makes for me funding criminals and black markets easier.

DanaT
10-22-2012, 08:07
And that drugs are bad and should be illegal, because I know how to live your life better than you, and it makes for me funding criminals and black markets easier.

OMG. I have to vote this morning.

Now I am confused.

How am I supposed to vote for it be legal (an amendment to the state constitution) for person over 21 to possess, use, display, purchase, grow, process, transport, and transfer marijuana?

Glock&KimberLady
10-22-2012, 12:06
I skied for 18 years and have been snowboarding for 5 now as well. I completely disagree with the easy comment. Anyone can snowplow down the hill on skis day one at their own pace. After a day of falling, I'm happy if the kid can link turns and wants to come back for another session. (and no I'm not overpaid unfortunately, it's volunteer)

+1 on that.

Skiing is easy to learn. Snowboarding is not. I've done both.

Oddly, I haven't met anyone who says, "Well, I used to snowboard...but now I ski." :rofl: Most folks my age started out skiing, then went to boarding to save their knees.

TBO
10-22-2012, 13:01
How dare they charge for CCW classes at a public range! :rant:

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

DanaT
10-22-2012, 13:03
How dare they charge for CCW classes at a public range! :rant:

I know. It should be free.

The middle class is getting screwed.

Eurodriver
10-22-2012, 13:32
I know. It should be free.

The middle class is getting screwed.

Don't the 1% have enough to pay for all of the things I'm entitled to?

Speaking of which - I wear a size 15. I can't find a damn motorcycle boot that fits me anywhere. Should I riot?

DanaT
10-22-2012, 13:40
Don't the 1% have enough to pay for all of the things I'm entitled to?

Speaking of which - I wear a size 15. I can't find a damn motorcycle boot that fits me anywhere. Should I riot?

Oh yes. The ski instructors are holding out. Everyone knows these are just rich peoples kids hanging out on the slopes, smoking dope and acting like they are working. :rofl::rofl: Why shouldnt they teaching skiing for free?

TBO
10-22-2012, 16:48
How dare a Photography Professional charge so much for a class on landscape photography at a public park!!! :rant:

DanaT
10-22-2012, 17:26
How dare a Photography Professional charge so much for a class on landscape photography at a public park!!! :rant:

They arent needed. Only the 1% can afford original photography. We should tax them.

TBO
10-22-2012, 18:13
They charge money for skating lessons...... That are held at a public skating rink, WTF!?

DanaT
10-22-2012, 18:31
They charge money for skating lessons...... That are held at a public skating rink, WTF!?

Well, Muskogees mom shouldn't have to pay for that. 7.2% of all bankruptcies are caused by having to get children lessons.