Shooting Sub (majorsub or subcompact) with non-sub mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Sub (majorsub or subcompact) with non-sub mags

njl
10-21-2012, 13:35
I know it's perfectly legal to do in both divisions (as long as you're not using those mag sleeves that try to blend the "too long" mag body into the frame's grip)...but I wonder how many make a habit of shooting subcompact or majorsub with mags from a larger Glock?

The reason I ask is, I bought a G30 specifically for shooting majorsub, but I haven't been able to find deals on G30 mags. CDNN recently had (may still have) used G21 mags for about $13...and I couldn't pass up that sort of deal.

I took the G30 to the range today with my new used G21 mags, and I think I actually shot the G30 better with the G21 mags than with the 10 round G30 mags. I did have one round fail to chamber. It was the first round in the mag. I'm not sure how it happened, but it was the opposite of a feed ramp nose dive. Right after it happened, I took the gun apart, dropped the offending round into the chamber, and dropped it back out, put everything back together, and it chambered no problem the second time. I guess I should measure the distance between the feed lips on all the G21 mags. Maybe this one was a little too wide?

ede
10-21-2012, 16:08
I use G30 mags for MSub and G21 mags in my G30 for Sub. When I was using my G27 for Sub I used G27 mags. I've never had a problem with any of my mags and I have more than a few.

PM720
10-21-2012, 19:37
Depending on how "used" these mags are they could have weak springs. Put a new spring in the problem mag or swap springs from a know good mag and see if it helps.

Scott

__jb
10-21-2012, 19:37
Does anyone know the correct dimension for the distance between feed lips on Glock magazines?

I am mostly interested in 9mm mags, but suspect the info for all of them will be together... I just can't find it.

misunderestimated
10-22-2012, 10:26
I know it's perfectly legal to do in both divisions (as long as you're not using those mag sleeves that try to blend the "too long" mag body into the frame's grip)...but I wonder how many make a habit of shooting subcompact or majorsub with mags from a larger Glock?

The reason I ask is, I bought a G30 specifically for shooting majorsub, but I haven't been able to find deals on G30 mags. CDNN recently had (may still have) used G21 mags for about $13...and I couldn't pass up that sort of deal.

I took the G30 to the range today with my new used G21 mags, and I think I actually shot the G30 better with the G21 mags than with the 10 round G30 mags. I did have one round fail to chamber. It was the first round in the mag. I'm not sure how it happened, but it was the opposite of a feed ramp nose dive. Right after it happened, I took the gun apart, dropped the offending round into the chamber, and dropped it back out, put everything back together, and it chambered no problem the second time. I guess I should measure the distance between the feed lips on all the G21 mags. Maybe this one was a little too wide?
I have always carried a G30sf, with the smaller style magazines with pinky extensions on my as reloads on my belt.

I recently started to use the G30SF in GSSF competition with full size G21 Magazines. It worked so well for me that I now carry the small magazine in the gun and larger G21 magazines (with no sleeves on them) Go for the longer G21 magazines for completion and carry