Need help adjusting station 2 on a 550 press [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting station 2 on a 550 press

Kwesi
10-21-2012, 15:03
I finally got my press up after moving 6 months ago. I'm loading 9mm. I'm finding too many cases are not centered when the ram is lowered. The powder funnel is coming down on the top of the case facing the inside of the press. What adjustment is needed? Thanks for the help!

F106 Fan
10-21-2012, 15:24
I would start by loosening the powder die locknut, inserting a case into station two and raising the ram. This should help center the die. Then tighten the locknut.

In fact, this process applies to all 4 stations.

Richard

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 15:42
Are you sure you are using the right size alignment pin?

Is the shell plate upside down?

Make sure no debris has collected in the grooves of the shellplate.

Kwesi
10-21-2012, 15:49
Shellplate #5 - correctly installed & cleaned.
Locator pin #3

Kwesi
10-21-2012, 15:55
I would start by loosening the powder die locknut, inserting a case into station two and raising the ram. This should help center the die. Then tighten the locknut.

In fact, this process applies to all 4 stations.

Richard

Good suggestion. Thanks.

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 16:15
I had this problem maybe 5 years ago so my memory is less than perfect. Off hand I think that making sure the shell plate was tight enough had something to do with it.

Kwesi
10-21-2012, 16:19
I had this problem maybe 5 years ago so my memory is less than perfect. Off hand I think that making sure the shell plate was tight enough had something to do with it.

I was also leaning to the shell plate. I'll give Dillon a call tomorrow. Thanks!

brisk21
10-21-2012, 20:49
The shellplate is probably too loose. Try putting a case in that station and tightening down the shellplate until the case is "snug". That is one problem with the 550, the shellplate doesn't always maintain proper tension. I had the same issue with my 550 and this fixed it perfectly.

SBray
10-21-2012, 22:03
The shellplate is probably too loose. Try putting a case in that station and tightening down the shellplate until the case is "snug". That is one problem with the 550, the shellplate doesn't always maintain proper tension. I had the same issue with my 550 and this fixed it perfectly.

I have found that adjusting the shellplate is important in that it has to be snug, but not so that it doesn't move smoothly. If it is too loose, it is nearly impossible to keep the shells in alignment during operation. It seems to help if I place an empty shell case in each of the stations when I make this adjustment. The cases balance out the shellplate when attempting to tighten the bolt down, when finding that sweet spot, giving me a smoothly rotating shellplate that maintains alignment.

Steve

Colorado4Wheel
10-21-2012, 22:49
Remove toolhead, tighten it till it binds with the ram raised. Loosen center bolt and leave Allen in bolt. Loosen it till it just runs smoothly and snug set screw. It will probably bind up again. This is why you left the wrench in. Loosen set screw and turn bolt maybe a 1/16th and tighten set screw. This will be as tight as you can make it and still run smoothly. Don't forget a drop of oil on the surfaces of the bolt.

brisk21
10-22-2012, 08:33
I have found that adjusting the shellplate is important in that it has to be snug, but not so that it doesn't move smoothly. If it is too loose, it is nearly impossible to keep the shells in alignment during operation. It seems to help if I place an empty shell case in each of the stations when I make this adjustment. The cases balance out the shellplate when attempting to tighten the bolt down, when finding that sweet spot, giving me a smoothly rotating shellplate that maintains alignment.

Steve

exactly.

unclebob
10-22-2012, 08:46
Since you will be calling Dillon have them send you an alignment tool if they do not tell you that they will be sending you one.

Kwesi
10-22-2012, 17:03

Steve

Bingo Steve! Thanks.