hoarding the liquor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hoarding the liquor

lunarspeak
10-21-2012, 16:48
so i was at the ABC store the other day to pick up a bottle of CR for a party...well i start talking to the clerk (who works out at my gym) we always talk about zombies and prepping,,,well he starts telling me about this guy who started comeing in and buying 4 or 5 bottles a week...whitch isnt all that strange but he will come in one week and buy 4 bottles of vodka then the next and buy 5 bottles of rum or a few bottles of jim..(most people that have drinking problems stick to one kind or brand)

well last week the guy came in and bought 10 bottles of everclear...my buddy said "wow pretty strong stuff"and the guy replyed i dont drink,im a prepper..

the more i think about it thats the most smartest thing ive heard so far.....while some guys will be haggleing over a box of ammo for a box of noodles..this guy will be able to finance a small army :rofl:

el_jewapo
10-21-2012, 16:51
Yeah that's good thinking. A bottle of hooch would be worth more than a stack of 100's in some scenarios.

Angry Fist
10-21-2012, 16:54
Damn right it will. Everclear has many uses. Getting some relaxation during real tough SHTF times is one.

Averageman
10-21-2012, 16:57
Pints, Fifths and Half Gallons of cheap booze may be worth more than silver or gold.
I can see having it on hand for Barter, but it seems to evaporate in my presence.

SMOKEin
10-21-2012, 17:00
Now THIS makes sense.

M1A Shooter
10-21-2012, 17:06
wife watched an episode of extreme preppers or whatever it was and one of them had liquor for trading and was throwing molotov coctails in his back yard for "practice". she thought it was a good idea too. while i agree, i think her source may have been a bit skewed.

el_jewapo
10-21-2012, 17:10
while i agree, i think her source may have been a bit skewed.

Her source as in the show she saw it on? A good idea is a good idea. Doesn't matter if it comes from Fox News or the local high school news paper.

G29Reload
10-21-2012, 17:12
won't be the first time.

Have heard stories about the depression.

and those who stocked up before Prohibition.

Need sick kids looked after, a shade tree mechanic to get your only car going…liquor can be quite the deal sealer.

Good barter.

The best shelf life…it will outlive you. 100 years easily in a cool dry place.

Beer can turn in 6 months. Not all wine ages, some sours in the bottle. But 80 proof and up? Keeps.

I'm a prepper and I do it. Not a whole lot, only a case or two.

But its an option.

People who lived thru the Bosnian war have similar stories. You might be able to bribe your way thru a roadblock, get a gun fixed, some food…

At worst if nothing happens, you can drink it.

Batesmotel
10-21-2012, 17:14
In a SHTF situation, do you really want to help your unprepared, stresses out, scarred and possibly armed neighbors get liquored up?

Angry Fist
10-21-2012, 17:16
In a SHTF situation, do you really want to help your unprepared, stresses out, scarred and possibly armed neighbors get liquored up?
Take your thought provoking paranoid logic elsewhere. :miff:

:supergrin:

el_jewapo
10-21-2012, 17:21
Well, there are going to be a lot worse things to worry about than a crazy drunk neighbor. Trading a pint of whisky for some gas or food is worth the risk of him taking that bottle and getting crazy. There will be much bigger fish to fry than worrying about what people are doing to catch a buzz. The risk/reward is worth it in that situation. If he gets crazy and comes back looking for trouble, shoot him a little.

G29Reload
10-21-2012, 17:21

Youd be doing it wrong.

That's not how it goes.

when things get stable and people meet and arrange trades you can use it to make or seal deals. YOu won't be tradiing much of anything with some haggard battle weary ANYONE.

You pick your spots. You meet up with someone well behaved and looking to trade, its "well, whatcha got? I need XYZ" They have XYZ, you say I have something to offer, what are you looking for? exchange occurs.

If everything is some hot mess no one will be trading with anyone. You just pick the right atmosphere.

samuse
10-21-2012, 20:27

Hell yeah. Invite the females.

SHTF party goin' on at MY place!:drink::ladiesman:

Wanna see my :dancingbanana:??

GreenDrake
10-22-2012, 06:14
This is too funny

OctoberRust
10-22-2012, 07:45
Cartons of cigarettes would actually be a good idea.

I don't smoke, so can anyone tell me how long cigarettes last if I were to buy a cartoon and not open them?

frizz
10-22-2012, 08:06
While it is waaaaay illegal, making a small still and making your own 90% pure alcohol isn't hard if you are somewhat handy with tools. You just need a good place to let your yeast convert the sugar water, and a good place to store the bottles.

It is amazing how cheap distilled alcohol is without the taxes.

NOTE: No, I have never done this, but the diagrams, parts lists, and assembly & use instructions are all on the Internet. For $150, you could get the parts for a very effective setup.

Even if it isn't for drinking, the practical cleaning and sterilizing -- especially for first aid -- uses of ethyl alcohol are vast.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 08:12
Yup. Everyone wants to hoard gold. I've always said on the SPF here (before I stopped reading it because it was considered "stupid") that you should stock up on hard liquor and cigarettes. The hard liquor will keep. The cigareeets you could vac-seal by the carton or pack.

October Rust - I'd say they'll only last a few months if not properly stored. And I assume over time, properly humidified, that the leaves will leach color into the paper no matter what. But if all hell has broken loose, who cares about discolored cigarettes?

OR you could hoard rolling papers and tins of tobacco. Just as marketable. And strike-anywhere matches. Again - vac-seal them.

frizz
10-22-2012, 08:17
There is another post with a question about ammo for barter. I opined that 9mm & .223/5.56x45 are the best bets for barter rounds because those are the most common.

With barter, you want to have a lot of what people are going to want a lot of.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 08:18
Youd be doing it wrong.

That's not how it goes.

when things get stable and people meet and arrange trades you can use it to make or seal deals. YOu won't be tradiing much of anything with some haggard battle weary ANYONE.

You pick your spots. You meet up with someone well behaved and looking to trade, its "well, whatcha got? I need XYZ" They have XYZ, you say I have something to offer, what are you looking for? exchange occurs.

If everything is some hot mess no one will be trading with anyone. You just pick the right atmosphere.

The Book of Eli #1 Movie CLIP - I'll Wait Here (2010) HD - YouTube

Caver 60
10-22-2012, 08:29
And strike-anywhere matches. Again - vac-seal them.

Strike anywhere matches are getting hard to find in most stores around here. I've not tried online, but I have found an Army Surplus store about 40 miles away that has them. I always keep a few boxes on hand. Lot easier than rubbing two sticks together.

I also have a fair stock of booze on hand. Mixture of many various brands and types. Since I only drink and ounce or so of it a day, I like to vary the taste with different types of liquor.

jpa
10-22-2012, 08:30
I always found it amusing that in some states the government is in the liquor store business.....

Smith's grocery store has a buy one get one free sale on bottles of liquor once or twice a year...I usually buy a few bottles then.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 08:38
The government IS in the liquor business in EVERY locale.

Which President was it that used liquor taxes to balance the budget?? Was it Teddy R? Pre-Prohibition, I think. I want to say whomever it was reduced or eliminated income taxes. A sniglet of a fact stuck in my head.

EDIT - Right name, wrong dude. FDR pushed them to boost the federal coffers after Prohibition was repealed.

kirgi08
10-22-2012, 08:46
so i was at the ABC store the other day to pick up a bottle of CR for a party...well i start talking to the clerk (who works out at my gym) we always talk about zombies and prepping,,,well he starts telling me about this guy who started comeing in and buying 4 or 5 bottles a week...whitch isnt all that strange but he will come in one week and buy 4 bottles of vodka then the next and buy 5 bottles of rum or a few bottles of jim..(most people that have drinking problems stick to one kind or brand)

well last week the guy came in and bought 10 bottles of everclear...my buddy said "wow pretty strong stuff"and the guy replyed i dont drink,im a prepper..

the more i think about it thats the most smartest thing ive heard so far.....while some guys will be haggleing over a box of ammo for a box of noodles..this guy will be able to finance a small army :rofl:

Yes and no,good Idea-yes,being known you have it not so much.

Yeah that's good thinking. A bottle of hooch would be worth more than a stack of 100's in some scenarios.

Ayep.

Damn right it will. Everclear has many uses. Getting some relaxation during real tough SHTF times is one.

Part of the gift basket. :whistling:

Now THIS makes sense.

Immense sense.

won't be the first time.

Have heard stories about the depression.

and those who stocked up before Prohibition.

Need sick kids looked after, a shade tree mechanic to get your only car going…liquor can be quite the deal sealer.

Good barter.

The best shelf life…it will outlive you. 100 years easily in a cool dry place.

Beer can turn in 6 months. Not all wine ages, some sours in the bottle. But 80 proof and up? Keeps.

I'm a prepper and I do it. Not a whole lot, only a case or two.

But its an option.

People who lived thru the Bosnian war have similar stories. You might be able to bribe your way thru a roadblock, get a gun fixed, some food…

At worst if nothing happens, you can drink it.

Medicinal/barter and stress relief.

Take your thought provoking paranoid logic elsewhere. :miff:

:supergrin

:shame:

You'd be doing it wrong.

That's not how it goes.

when things get stable and people meet and arrange trades you can use it to make or seal deals. YOu won't be trading much of anything with some haggard battle weary ANYONE.

A wide base of barter goods is the best,from vice ta mouse traps.

I don't smoke, so can anyone tell me how long cigarettes last if I were to buy a cartoon and not open them?

Vacuum sealed cans are the best,cartons/packs do go stale.

While it is waaaaay illegal, making a small still and making your own 90% pure alcohol isn't hard if you are somewhat handy with tools. You just need a good place to let your yeast convert the sugar water, and a good place to store the bottles.

It is amazing how cheap distilled alcohol is without the taxes.

NOTE: No, I have never done this, but the diagrams, parts lists, and assembly & use instructions are all on the Internet. For $150, you could get the parts for a very effective setup.

Even if it isn't for drinking, the practical cleaning and sterilizing -- especially for first aid -- uses of ethyl alcohol are vast.

Actually the burrow allows a certain amount of personal use home brewing.

There is another post with a question about ammo for barter. I opined that 9mm & .223/5.56x45 are the best bets for barter rounds because those are the most common.

See above.'08. :whistling:

BEER
10-22-2012, 11:01
i've got about 10-12 gallons of cheap vodka and whiskey out in the shed all in plastic bottles of various sizes.

i'll give you another trade item that's going to be worth it's weight in gold a lot of people don't think about, bicycles. so far i've got 8 complete working bikes and enough parts to build 4 more and fix quite a few others. the best part is they were all free (or damned close to it) because people just tossed them. none of them are high end or pretty but they'll get you from point A to point B.

kirgi08
10-22-2012, 11:13
Pallets.'08.

jpa
10-22-2012, 11:32
The government IS in the liquor business in EVERY locale.

Which President was it that used liquor taxes to balance the budget?? Was it Teddy R? Pre-Prohibition, I think. I want to say whomever it was reduced or eliminated income taxes. A sniglet of a fact stuck in my head.

EDIT - Right name, wrong dude. FDR pushed them to boost the federal coffers after Prohibition was repealed.

I meant that the government owns and operates a business whose purpose is selling liquor. Not the business of collecting taxes on an item sold by a private business. :tongueout:

So basically when Prohibition was repealed and alcohol was legalized, the Prez pushed to tax the hell out of it? Wow, where have I heard that idea before.....

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 11:35
So basically when Prohibition was repealed and alcohol was legalized, the Prez pushed to tax the hell out of it? Wow, where have I heard that idea before.....

60 Minutes did a very interesting story Colorado and marijuana last night. The revenue potential was staggering. HH

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 11:35
Oh I know. NH does the same thing. Yet they sell at decent prices. . . so basically they are removing the profit that a store would collect for (probably) a higher "tax" on the liquor. I believe in NH the only things that can be sold outside of a State Liquor Store is beer and wine. All hard alky is thru the store system.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 11:37
60 Minutes did a very interesting story Colorado and marijuana last night. The revenue potential was staggering. HH

Yeah.

Because with alcohol, you need a reasonably big operation to get some hard liquor. But with pot, you just need a container and a grow-lamp. Spectacular profit potential! :rofl:

The ABC will be the ABC-&D.

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 12:08
Yeah.

Because with alcohol, you need a reasonably big operation to get some hard liquor. But with pot, you just need a container and a grow-lamp. Spectacular profit potential! :rofl:

The ABC will be the ABC-&D.

Actually, the story indicated that there are huge start-up costs that require the hiring of electricians, HVAC guys, plumbers, insulation, concrete & steel contractors, etc.
A great deal of hiring, contracting and hard materials purchasing... HH

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 12:12
I'm talking personal-and-close-friend consumption.

You don't really think potheads in CO will buy government authorized weed for more than they can grow it themselves, do you? They just have to keep it under wraps. The Po-po isn't going to be checking everyone's script. They don't seem to in LA.

My point is we've accepted paying taxes on alcohol because for individual consumption, it's just too much of a hassle (ABC agents or no ABC agents) to manufacture ourselves. Just about any idiot with a basement can grow weed.

Interesting connection - I know a guy that markets weed fertilizer. LOL "Legit" weed is so popular that he is doing fairly well.

F350
10-22-2012, 12:23
I'm on a bourbon board and some of us call ourselves "dusty hunters" shopping old liquor stores looking for old bottles (20+ years old), it is surprising how much better the average old stuff is than average whiskey today.

One guy posted a picture of the whiskey stash they found in his grandmother's basement, some dating back to the 30s. She said she always kept a stash because during prohibition and the depression her parents were able to get things otherwise unavailable, by trading whiskey. She said even during WWII with state side rationing (and a halt to whiskey production) a bottle of whiskey would help get needed items that were difficult to find even with the needed stamps. When a bottle was produced as barter, things had a way of turning up.

eruby
10-22-2012, 12:25
I would consider stockpiling miniatures.

If SHTF, not everyone will have the barter for, or want to lug a big bottle about. But they'll do most anything for a shot of hooch.

Same principle as bartering individual cigarettes. People got to have what they GOT to have.

MrKandiyohi
10-22-2012, 12:25

If you look at a listing for an auction in the Midwest, you'll always see a .22lr and a 12ga.

G29Reload
10-22-2012, 12:56

Lousy idea. They dont keep. Liquor otoh keeps f
orever

HollowHead
10-22-2012, 13:24
Lousy idea. They dont keep. Liquor otoh keeps f
orever

Does anyone know the shelf-life of canned cigarette tobacco? HH

eruby
10-22-2012, 13:25
Does anyone know the shelf-life of canned cigarette tobacco? HHDon't know any shelf lives, but if SHTF, many smokers would smoke a cigarette from a pack opened by Ho Chi Min, if not Benjaminn Disraeli. They NEEEED that fix.

Osborne
10-22-2012, 13:33
Don't know any shelf lives, but if SHTF, many smokers would smoke a cigarette from a pack opened by Ho Chi Min, if not Benjaminn Disraeli. They NEEEED that fix.

If anyone knows a way to preserve tobacco for SHTF and and lived in the area I do you would be like a king, I couldnt imagine a better bartering item. Over half the people in this area smoke, and thats guessing on the low side and with the amount of firearms in this area you could get some pretty good deals on guns using tobacco lol.

eruby
10-22-2012, 13:38
If anyone knows a way to preserve tobacco for SHTF and and lived in the area I do you would be like a king, I couldnt imagine a better bartering item. Over half the people in this area smoke, and thats guessing on the low side and with the amount of firearms in this area you could get some pretty good deals on guns using tobacco lol.When I was little, out neighbor took us mini golfing. He forgot his smokes. Toward the end he missed a 2 inch putt due to lack of nicotine.

He may very well have traded a Les Baer Custom for a drag or two. :wow:

BuzznRose
10-22-2012, 13:42
I think I'd buy and store Copenhagen and pipe tobacco and rolling paper is I were hoarding...seems easier and nicotine addicts would gladly accept either...I used to when I smoked.

http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/pipe-tobacco-storage/

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

el_jewapo
10-22-2012, 13:52
You folks thinking about a tobaccer angle, instead of looking for ways to store it, look into seeds. I think tobacco seeds are really small, and they'd keep forever. Trade seeds or grow tobacco to trade instead of taking up so much space for a very finite resource. Think about how big a carton of cigarettes is? Now think about how long a carton of cigarettes lasts a moderate smoker? You're talking about taking up a lot of room for something that isn't going to go very far.

Osborne
10-22-2012, 14:08
Taking chewing tobacco in account then around ~75% either do one or both where I live lol.

How good does that stuff store?

dotsun
10-22-2012, 15:14
About the only cheap stuff I like is Beam, so I try to pick up a small bottle every trip to get the good stuff. I have quite a few bottles of it stashed away now. I figure if I never need it to barter I'll just drink it.

IceAxe
10-23-2012, 09:28
I would consider stockpiling miniatures.

I'd considered miniatures too at one time but they take up a lot more space per volume than liters (or larger) and you can always "make change" by dispensing into smaller amounts as needed.