See HS kid kick a 67 yd field goal. Longer than the NFL record. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : See HS kid kick a 67 yd field goal. Longer than the NFL record.

Detectorist
10-21-2012, 17:06
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/bestoftv/2012/10/20/vo-hs-kicker-67-yards.kxly

Amazing.

Angry Fist
10-21-2012, 17:08
They had a 65 yarder in the NFL, but it was preseason.

Averageman
10-21-2012, 17:18
Well Dad can spend all that money he saved to send that Boy to College.
Can you say "Scholarship?"

DairyFresh
10-21-2012, 17:25
Good kick!

Are the footballs in HS the same as in the NFL?

el_jewapo
10-21-2012, 17:34
That's only #2 for highschool. Someone help me figure out wtf highschool kickers have several over the NFL record? The NCAA record seems to be the longest at 69 yards. I guess maybe they just don't try those long kicks as often in NFL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal_%28American_and_Canadian_football%29#NFL

Drain You
10-21-2012, 17:38
Not to take anything away from a 67 yard kick, but...

did you see how freaking tall that kid is? I'm guessing he is probably larger than the average NFL kicker. So while not providing him a huge advantage, the players standing in front of him being inches shorter than NFL players does matter a lot.

Trajectory. NFL kickers hit 70+ in practice all the time with no one trying to block it.

el_jewapo
10-21-2012, 17:44
I think I figured it out. Most high schools use open ended fields. Better air flow through there to catch more wind than a closed stadium or bowl like they use in NFL.

Not trying to take anything away from the kid, it's an awesome kick. It just didn't make sense to me how highschool kickers have several records above NFL, that wasn't just a fluke.

Angry Fist
10-21-2012, 18:22
I think I figured it out. Most high schools use open ended fields. Better air flow through there to catch more wind than a closed stadium or bowl like they use in NFL.

I didn't think about that. Good point.

Happypuppy
10-21-2012, 18:38
Good kick!

Are the footballs in HS the same as in the NFL?

No. They can use a tee also through college

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Glock13
10-21-2012, 18:39
Different ball too.

tantrix
10-21-2012, 18:55
Not to take anything away from a 67 yard kick, but...

did you see how freaking tall that kid is? I'm guessing he is probably larger than the average NFL kicker. So while not providing him a huge advantage, the players standing in front of him being inches shorter than NFL players does matter a lot.

I have done work for at least 5 players of the N.O. Saints, and know 1 personally...that boy would look up to 95% of the NFL players. The shortest you're gonna see is a RB, and they are usually at least 5' 11" and built like a brick ****house.

Cinic
10-21-2012, 19:34
Not trying to take anything away from the kid, it's an awesome kick. It just didn't make sense to me how highschool kickers have several records above NFL, that wasn't just a fluke.

My reasons for why longer FGs in HS than NFL - many of which already pointed out:
1. Frequency - there are only 32 nfl teams. How many high school teams equating to how many more attempted long field goals?
2. Tee
3. Ball
4. Height of defenders

Drain You
10-21-2012, 19:39
I have done work for at least 5 players of the N.O. Saints, and know 1 personally...that boy would look up to 95% of the NFL players. The shortest you're gonna see is a RB, and they are usually at least 5' 11" and built like a brick ****house.

Uh, and?

He is bigger than at least 2/3 of NFL kickers. You pointing out how big NFL players are after I just said that does nothing but help prove my point :rofl:

He is friggin huge and he's playing against stumpy kids trying to block his kick.

pineappleshooter
10-21-2012, 20:26
I agree the tee is a big advantage but still, that's a long way to kick a ball. I was a punter/kicker in high school and only dreamed of kicking a ball that far and I'm 6'2" 200 lbs.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 07:25
I forget which superbowl, but the kicker warming up was drilling em from the 50 yd line over and over again. Forget which team. But it was important to know that the guy could go long.

I think it's more of a game-tying/winning opportunity, so you see so few of them. As mentioned, only 32 teams. How many times per season are we down to a game with less than 3 points difference, the losing team holding the ball, and time running out? Pretty infrequently.

SC Tiger
10-22-2012, 08:40
No. They can use a tee also through college

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

I don't think they use a tee (the kicking flat) in college. I also think the goalposts are wider in high school than college or the pros.

ray9898
10-22-2012, 08:44
Different ball
Different defensive lineman size which allows for a low trajectory.

PBCounty
10-22-2012, 09:19
http://www.zuguide.com/image/Jon-Gries-Napoleon-Dynamite.4.jpg

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 10:05
LOL

If only Coach had put me in. . . I could throw a ball over that mountain.

tantrix
10-22-2012, 10:13
I don't think they use a tee (the kicking flat) in college. I also think the goalposts are wider in high school than college or the pros.

Yep...high school has an extra 5 feet of width to work with compared to college or pro.

lvl1trauma
10-22-2012, 11:34
Yep...high school has an extra 5 feet of width to work with compared to college or pro.

That is very considerate but it looks like he damn near split the uprights in this case. Kudos to the guy.

VC-Racing
10-22-2012, 13:28
Not to take anything from him also, just because he did one time doesn't mean he'll repeat. However if he does, he's got a college scholarship locked up
I really hope he takes care of his self and not do anything utterly stupid, he may have a bright future ahead of himself.

eruby
10-22-2012, 13:30
Tom Dempsy weeps.

IndyGunFreak
10-22-2012, 13:43
My reasons for why longer FGs in HS than NFL - many of which already pointed out:
1. Frequency - there are only 32 nfl teams. How many high school teams equating to how many more attempted long field goals?
2. Tee
3. Ball
4. Height of defenders

I see the logic in 1-3, but #4... care to elaborate how this effects a kick?

IGF

Cinic
10-22-2012, 14:13
I see the logic in 1-3, but #4... care to elaborate how this effects a kick?

IGF

Starting a kick at a lower angle generally gives more distance. So shorter defenders with lower reach allow a lower angle w/o getting blocked.

RGbiker
10-22-2012, 16:14
Someone pass on the kids name and address to the Arizona Cardinals who might be searching for a good field goal kicker.

K.Kiser
10-22-2012, 16:41
We had a kid at my highschool that kicked some just under 60 yards goofing around during practice, but I'm sure successful kicks at that distance weren't predictable... He wasn't primarily a footballer, the coach found him on the soccer field and the wheels began to turn... Too bad the kid liked drugs/alcohol more than opportunity..

With that said, I probably could kick one 1/2 that distance an that would accompany about a 15% success rate...

ARP
10-22-2012, 17:23
He launched that kick! It had plenty of height and easily cleared any chance of being blocked at the line. Former HS kicker, his trajectory was high and lofted vs driven.

aplcr0331
10-22-2012, 17:27
Before that kick he had a partial scholarhip offer to Eastern Washington University. After? Who knows, someone will take a chance perhaps. That was a game tying field goal and they went on to win the game. My nephew plays for the opposing team.