Charged for getting denied on a NICS? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Charged for getting denied on a NICS?

toshbar
10-21-2012, 19:22
Was in a gun store yesterday in Wilmington, NC that had this picture on the wall:

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/toshbar/photo.jpg

Can they charge you for getting denied? I'd probably laugh and walk out.....

GlocknSpiehl
10-21-2012, 19:24
They can post it al they want...

dre23
10-21-2012, 19:26
Wow! that's F upped! Every shop I have ever purchased it's only been 5 bucks either way. I think I would laugh and walk out myself. What's the difference between an approval and a denial besides a sale. Time and effort with no sale? That is just part of doing business.

hhb
10-21-2012, 19:31
Never been in a gun shop that charged for the check.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

toshbar
10-21-2012, 19:33
Every shop I have ever purchased it's only been 5 bucks either way.
So you pay for a NICS?

I've never heard of anyone charging separate for the NICS.

TheExplorer
10-21-2012, 19:34
Yeah, good luck with that.

Drain You
10-21-2012, 19:35
They're not charging you for the NICS check, they're charging the dumbass thugs and wannabe bangers that are trying to put guns on lay a way, wasting the business owner's time.

Btw, they take your $ before the check and don't give it all back. I've seen plenty of pawn shops in the hood with those signs, never anything over $20 though.

m2hmghb
So you pay for a NICS?

In NJ it's 15 dollars. The state police run it, they check in state then check the federal database. Highway robbery it is.

Tango 1Zero
Never heard of anyone charging for the NICS check.

Hyksos
10-21-2012, 19:36
So you pay for a NICS?

I've paid for the background check before. $5.

Spiffums
10-21-2012, 19:55
We all pay........it's just if your gun costed $10 more than mine if our state has the same amount for the fee.

TK-421
10-21-2012, 19:55
I didn't have to pay anything when my gun shop did my background check. It would be an annoyance if they did charge, but I'd still pay, if it was a reasonable amount. However, with the denial thing, generally, if you're going to get denied, you already know why. I think it'd be pretty rare for someone to be surprised to find they have a criminal record. Seeing as how you generally have to go to court to get one.

toshbar
10-21-2012, 20:04
We all pay........it's just if your gun costed $10 more than mine if our state has the same amount for the fee.
I pay dealer cost + 10% on all my new stuff and a $15 transfer fee on milsurp/used. I don't see why anyone would do that if they're eating $5-$10 on my background check. As far as I know it doesn't cost the dealer anything when they call into the FBI.

skeeter7
10-21-2012, 23:00
I've never paid or heard of a charge for a NICS check either. The shop I frequent does free transfers as well and only sells guns at 8-10% above cost. It's hard not to buy stuff there.

RHVEtte
10-22-2012, 02:35
They're not charging you for the NICS check, they're charging the dumbass thugs and wannabe bangers that are trying to put guns on lay a way, wasting the business owner's time.

Btw, they take your $ before the check and don't give it all back. I've seen plenty of pawn shops in the hood with those signs, never anything over $20 though.

Pretty much. I've seen it in a couple of shops. None of them ever collected on it that I saw. It was basically just a way to discourage thugs that don't have a chance in hell of passing the NICS from wasting the clerks time.

ammosdad
10-22-2012, 03:50
$25.00 for a NICS check in Nevada.

HerrGlock
10-22-2012, 04:59
Charging for the check depends on the state. NCIS is free.

Some states require a state background check as well or the state check includes a NCIS check. They can charge for these and some states actually mandate prices for the state check.

Some states don't do a state check, just do the NCIS check and don't have a charge for the free check.

The OP's shop seems to do it one smart way and make questionable people consider it not worth their time and money to "just give it a try" and see if they can pass the check. I'll bet it's working, too.

Cali-Glock
10-22-2012, 05:40
Sounds fair enough to me... It costs a lot of money to run a business, and the final margins are a lot less than you might think.

Jake Starr
10-22-2012, 05:41
While we don't do it, I can see the sense in it. Especially when you consider you have to keep the 4473s on file for 15-20 yrs.

kiole
10-22-2012, 05:47
One shop around here claims to charge 100$ for a denial

mgs
10-22-2012, 06:12
Some shops in PA charge $5 (State Background Check) and some do not.....up to the shop owner.

nursetim
10-22-2012, 08:31
At the gun show in Las Vegas this past weekend, I overheard an gentleman, with a british accent, complaining about the $45 charge for the NCIS fee when another table only charged $25. This gentleman was black btw.

Glockworks
10-22-2012, 18:17
Never heard of anyone charging for the NICS check.
In Virginia it is $2.

michael e
10-22-2012, 18:23

I have been denied before, so I am a wannabe banger?
I have at least 3 people with my name, one even has the same birthday in prision. The system is a joke. It took the FBI 27 days to get it straight, yet only took the state of Texas 24 days to get my CHL approved.
Not everyone denied is denied for a just cause and I would not pay $45 bucks because the government screwed up.

davsco
10-22-2012, 18:30
sounds fair to me, kinda like a bad check fee. don't make the ffl do extra work if you know you won't be approved. perhaps an incentive for folks not to come in and just give it a try even though they know they won't be approved.

re mike e above, if you get denied but it gets straightened out, can't see the ffl charging you anything extra.

nursetim
10-22-2012, 20:40
Was in a gun store yesterday in Wilmington, NC that had this picture on the wall:

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/toshbar/photo.jpg

Can they charge you for getting denied? I'd probably laugh and walk out.....

This is at Jim's isn't it? Nick has long hair now and it doesn't become him. He's a prick and that's the nicest thing I can say about him.

I'd use that new shop on Kerr ave. near Jackson's Big Oak BBQ.

Recalcitrant
10-22-2012, 20:58
Where I bought my Glock in GA there was a $5 fee for the background check -- waived if you had a CCW.

toshbar
10-22-2012, 21:32
This is at Jim's isn't it?
Yes. They have a good selection for the size of the shop.

Although, I was in there looking for 15+ minutes and no one said a word to me......

Snaps
10-22-2012, 22:39
most people factor the $5 charge into the purchase, but I've never heard of anything insane like that. It they're charging 30bucks for their time to fill out their end and call it in? Um... no

Scott3670
10-22-2012, 22:46
$45 is a lot less than the charge for 18 USC 922(a)(6), lying on the 4473 in order to purchase a firearm.

Foxtrotx1
10-22-2012, 22:55
At the gun show in Las Vegas this past weekend, I overheard an gentleman, with a british accent, complaining about the $45 charge for the NCIS fee when another table only charged $25. This gentleman was black btw.

Why does his race matter? :dunno:

nursetim
10-22-2012, 23:33
Possible bigotry involved with the amount. Or the fact that I'm white and have never bee charged a fee before.

Also had a Vietnam vet remark that he saw an increase number of blacks at the show and that all, except one, did not return his greeting and looked annoyed. According the the vet.

Other than that, no reason.

nursetim
10-22-2012, 23:36
Toshbar, I'd look else where for firearms. Yes they have a huge selection and high prices, but there are more gun shops that will treat you well and try to win your business.

rolltide_pisco
10-23-2012, 00:01
I think I had one customer who got denied, appealed it and won. He came back and bought the gun he wanted. No charge on the check though.

Lately most of my KY customers have their CCDW permit so I haven't called many in lately.

jpa
10-23-2012, 00:35
$25.00 for a NICS check in Nevada.

Yup. They collect it before they call in the check. You pay the state either way. In IL it was $5 when I lived there plus you had to show your FOID.

Clutch Cargo
10-23-2012, 00:38
I don't need an NICS check with my CHL.

NeverMore1701
10-23-2012, 00:52
Sounds pretty gay.

glock_collector
10-23-2012, 06:44
How many felonies can I have before I get denied?3-4 right??? My cellie said only 1 but I dont believe him...afterall he is in jail.

TeeJay37
10-23-2012, 08:24
Some of you mention not having to do the check if you have a carry permit. Any clue I this is relevant in Louisiana?

Old School
10-23-2012, 11:08
Wilmington is a terrible place to buy guns (lived here for 17+ years). Save yourself the aggravation and drive to Vass - Ed's Gun Shop.

And yes, in NC the Concealed Carry Permit negates the need for NICS and the otherwise state required pistol purchase permit. Note that some stores still call in NICS anyway. So again, go to a real gun store like Eds.

toshbar
10-23-2012, 17:01
I wasn't buying, just visiting a friend and was burning time. I've been to Eds in vass and wasn't impressed either.

Mackey's Landing on the other hand........

JW1178
10-23-2012, 17:08
Gun shop trying to make a buck. I see it as their thinking that way if they make the sale, they get their pay and don't lose it because you don't pass.

It's still BS. It's the overly paid finacial sector that thinks if they have to so much as look up from their desk they have earned a Dr.'s salary. Kind of like the banks and things like a overdraft or bounced check charge, did it really cost them that much? No, but when you have a lot of people making high salary jobs, you have to make that money to pay it somehow. Government is the same way, too many 100K+ers on their pay role. When you have a monopoly or legal hold on a market, and no competition, you can pretty much name your price. Then you can come on and say how you earn your money and are paid for a high skill service, even though you really just hold a position that the average walmart cashier could do with about six weeks of training.

HerrGlock
10-23-2012, 18:39
Gun shop trying to make a buck. I see it as their thinking that way if they make the sale, they get their pay and don't lose it because you don't pass.

It's still BS. It's the overly paid finacial sector that thinks if they have to so much as look up from their desk they have earned a Dr.'s salary. Kind of like the banks and things like a overdraft or bounced check charge, did it really cost them that much? No, but when you have a lot of people making high salary jobs, you have to make that money to pay it somehow. Government is the same way, too many 100K+ers on their pay role. When you have a monopoly or legal hold on a market, and no competition, you can pretty much name your price. Then you can come on and say how you earn your money and are paid for a high skill service, even though you really just hold a position that the average walmart cashier could do with about six weeks of training.

Y'know, if you honestly don't understand the banks are trying to prevent bounced checks by making the fee preventative and that this gun store is trying to prevent "I'm going to try even though I know I cannot buy one" from even trying, that's one thing. To have this whole diatribe about a financial market and pretend it has anything to do with either of those means you've been listening to the occupy movement wayyyyyy too long and taken them too seriously.

Wow. Just wow.

nursetim
10-23-2012, 18:45
Trust me, in this shop's case, it's about being ******y, they really suck at customer service. Other places in the area do not have the policy that I recall. My info is only 4 months old.

jtull7
10-24-2012, 19:12
And just what do you think that GS is going to do if the denied person doesn't pay? He's just gonna walk out of the store.