Where do you buy a used car? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy a used car?

RenoF250
10-21-2012, 19:45
I am looking for a used car for the wife and not having great luck with Craigslist. Mostly people wanting more than high book for dirty/poorly maintained cars so I am starting to give up on that and look at dealers. I am not seeing one place they all list their inventory, seems like you have to look at each dealer individually. Quite a pain. I am also seeing cars they might have $24k on the window they list for $17,500 on the internet.

Anyhow, any suggestions to make finding what I want easier?

Bensmiata
10-21-2012, 19:50
Use www.cars.com and search within how far you're willing to travel for the model you want and by lowest price. I've found it to be the best way to get started on buying a new or used car

RenoF250
10-21-2012, 20:01
Use www.cars.com and search within how far you're willing to travel for the model you want and by lowest price. I've found it to be the best way to get started on buying a new or used car

I have been using cars.com as well but that does not have anywhere all the used inventory listed.

Gallium
10-21-2012, 20:05
Cars.com is out of Chicago.

Autotrader.com is out of Atlanta GA. Autotrader.com is the larger of the two.

10-21-2012, 20:09
The local auction.

method
10-21-2012, 20:14
I see what appear to be good buys on CL quite often. Missed a real good one a few weeks ago...'96 Nissan Pathfinder, V6, 4wd, manual trans, 145k miles, $1500. It was gone within 2 hours of being posted.

You can try eBay too. What sort of car are you looking for?

TheExplorer
10-21-2012, 20:16
Any place that will allow YOUR mechanic to check it out.

RenoF250
10-21-2012, 20:18
Any place that will allow YOUR mechanic to check it out.

I am my mechanic.

Maxx702
10-21-2012, 20:56
Careful buying private party- when you buy a used car you will usually discover whatever is wrong with it in the first week of driving it.
Private party sales- you have very little recourse legally.
Buy from a used car lot, you have very limited recourse.
Auction cars are at the auction 'cause the dealer who sent it there didn't want it. I'll pass.
Franchised new car dealers charge more for their used cars, but if you find you have a problem, they will usually make it right if you scream loud enough.

Carmax is a option to look at. Like a new car dealer, they charge a little more but their cars come with a 5 day buyback guarantee, a 30 day warranty, and the extended warranties they sell are actually worthwhile.

Kevin108
10-21-2012, 21:43
Craigslist, as bad as it can be, is still the place for deals. Used car stealerships typically add about $2,000 to the price tag although they usually have choicer vehicles.

Averageman
10-21-2012, 22:56
Craigslist, as bad as it can be, is still the place for deals. Used car stealerships typically add about $2,000 to the price tag although they usually have choicer vehicles.
For the 2K I can haggle a service agreement for X number of miles, in the long run if it takes a crap rolling off the lot your way ahead of the game.

droidfire
10-22-2012, 03:13
I am my mechanic.

Then you need to check out local car auctions. Most of the time you cab scout the fenced yard from outside the perimeter so that when they open the gate for the auction you know what you want to look at in the short time before bidding starts.

Generally sweet pricing, especially in unpleasant weather.

johnd
10-22-2012, 06:42
I always buy used and always go to a flagship Toyota or Honda or something for their trade ins. They take them but dont want them as they arent the brand they sell.

HerrGlock
10-22-2012, 06:44
Ebay.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 06:46
Find a used car dealer you can trust. Good luck in that.

I've got a guy who's a client of mine. I've never paid more than book AND have gotten a car that a mechanic has gone through and fixed or changed EVERYHTING that was needed.

I "order" what I need. I find what I'm looking for for a model and such and then wait. Within about 6 weeks (I'm very particular), I get a call that it's been found, confirm the color is OK and 2 weeks later it's mine.

MLM
10-22-2012, 08:05
I just purchased an used car from a lot attached to a Toyota Dealership.
I find franchised dealerships to offer better deals in that they go over the vehicles they sell really good and fix what needs fixing.
Sure, you pay a little more but you end up with a better car.
The car I was able to get was $1000.00 less than BlueBook. BlueBook had it at $9250.00. And the Dealership included a 3000 mile/2 months warranty on the out of warranty car.

frizz
10-22-2012, 08:21
Buy here/pay here dealers are ALWAYS a good deal.

Dennis in MA
10-22-2012, 08:25
Buy here/pay here dealers are ALWAYS a good deal.

And you can turn it in in a year for a title loan. :rofl:

ChuteTheMall
10-22-2012, 08:42
Current one, from another customer of my independent mechanic. Cash. :banana:

Previous one, from another customer of my independent mechanic. Cash. :banana:

Previous one, from my independent mechanic. Cash (actually, a 30 day handshake loan which I paid off with cash) :banana:

1994 was the last time I found one on my own, stupid Dodge POS. :crying: My mechanic and I got tired of fixing it.

Before that, I bought sparkly new cars and had monthly payments and comprehensive insurance and supported the economy with conspicuous consumption of depreciating consumer goods..:nutcheck:

Dan_ntx
10-22-2012, 19:21
Craigslist is full of free ads, and you get what you pay for.
Utilize auto trader or a similar service that actually costs a few dollars to post an ad, that way you are actually dealing with motivated sellers.

Figure out what you want and start looking at the dealers that carry that type of inventory in your area...maybe stop by a lot on Tuesday afternoon and find a salesperson who works more than just peak hours to help you locate a good car. Car dealers know car dealers, and if they can sell a car they will do the legwork for you.

I buy used cars for a living and I am amazed what some people sell them for...the days of stealing a deal at the auction are long gone (way too many others there to let a real deal go unnoticed, and the "sellers" are not obligated to actually sell to the high bidder anyway) but I buy from people as well and some folks just want to sell no matter the price. I also run into a lot of folks selling cars for dead relatives...extra paperwork, but some deals there for sure.

JMS
10-22-2012, 21:04
My last used car I purchased via Ebay. Guy owed $22k, was getting offers for $14k, I offered him $17k after the auction ended and he took the deal.