Best way to complete Noveske build? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to complete Noveske build?

glockbanger
10-21-2012, 19:55
I'm thinking about going with a Noveske VLTOR upper
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrbv-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=
and a stripped Noveske Gen II lower. I've got a couple questions before I place my orders.

I'll need a standard lower parts kit.
1)Who makes the best and where can I order?

I'll also need a buffer tube, buffer, A2 stock, action/buffer spring.
2) Who makes the best and where can I order?

Fwdftw
10-21-2012, 20:19
DD makes a solid kit.

But its out of stock at PSA... Here is their MOE kit

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-gen-2-moe-lpk.html

You can go budget and get a PSA Kit.. I have no problems with mine..( Minus the fact that there is no notch on the tube for the detent.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-m4-stock-kit.html

If you dont want the PSA Go BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock%20hardware%20kit.htm

Cole125
10-21-2012, 21:30
1. Get a RRA LPK from PK Firearms. They also have DD in stock for $20 more but there probably is no difference between the two.http://pkfirearms.com/Lower_Receiver_Parts_Kits/34/c BTW they ship fast!

2. Get a Vltor buffer tube, and the rest from BCM.

glockbanger
10-22-2012, 08:06
Hey guys, that helps a lot. I'm going to go with the DD kit if I can find one, and the rest of the parts from BCM if they're avail. Thanks!

LA_357SIG
10-22-2012, 10:11
When in doubt... order from BCM. And when BCM is out of stock, DSGArms.

And instead of the A2 stock, which you can pick up on the cheap used on any gun forum EE, Magpul's MOE fixed stock is available.

Big Bird
10-22-2012, 19:47
Eh...it really doesn't matter when it comes to the pins detents and springs. Even the smaller parts like the Bolt catch and the selector switch are pretty much all the same.

Buy a decent trigger like a Giessele and buy any LPK sans trigger and you'll save $40.

You can get a DPMS LPK from Brownells. I'd bet $200 you could take a BCM LPK and a DPMS LPK throw all the parts in a pile and nobody here could pick which parts are which.

There's nothing special about a Noveske VLTOR upper vs just a plain ole' VLTOR upper. I have em both. Other than the logo they are identical.

When it comes to buffers--again, pretty much all USGI buffers are the same. Buy a DPMS spring and buffer from Brownells. A Colt buffer costs 8 times as much. Look at them side by side and tell me what the difference is?

Before you buy a buffer, however, I recommend you call the maker of your barrel and ask them what weight buffer they recommend. Barring that a standard carbine buffer should be your starting point Not an H or H2 buffer. The purpose of the buffer is to moderate the gas pressure and rearward velocity of the bolt while still allowing enough energy for the bolt to fully cycle rearward and complete the ejection and loading sequence. A buffer that's too heavy makes this harder and can cause malfunctions with some types of ammunition. A carbine weight buffer is the USGI standard for a reason.

wct097
10-22-2012, 21:11
My first VLTOR upper didn't fit on my Noveske Gen2 lower. I sent it back and they said it was out of spec and sent me a replacement. My lower is off for engraving, so I can't test fit it until it comes back.

YMMV, but I'm not sure I'd buy another.

glockbanger
10-22-2012, 23:08
There's nothing special about a Noveske VLTOR upper vs just a plain ole' VLTOR upper. I have em both. Other than the logo they are identical.

So buy the VLTOR upper along with a barrel?

Where can I find a SOCOM barrel?

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 14:07
So buy the VLTOR upper along with a barrel?

Where can I find a SOCOM barrel?

Why do you want a SOCOM barrel?

Do you have any idea how heavy they are? Not only that but the SOCOM barrels are all Carbine length gas systems and there's no reason to go with a carbine length system especially if you intend to buy a rail for the front end.

Trust me--I owned a Colt SOCOM barrel and hated it...too heavy and carbine length system. Lots of advantages to a mid length system including a longer rail. I saw no accuracy advantage from the heavier SOCOM barrel over a pencil barrel and I never had any intention of providing hundreds of rounds of cover fire for maneuvering squad sections. Heavy barrels take longer to heat up but they also take longer to cool down. But its your money--so do what you want. But you'll trim 4-6 ounces off your forend by going to a light or pencil profile barrel and you will thank me in the long run.

You can buy the VLTOR upper from Brownells or any other source. It matters not. You can even buy them from VLTOR direct. Regardless--its about $200.

glockbanger
10-23-2012, 14:17
Will these parts complete my build?
Correct me if I need guidance here.
Also, what tools will I need considering I'm buying a complete upper, minus the barrel?

VLTOR Vis upper (mid Length, carbine if I go with SOCOM barrel)
Barrel of my choosing(undecided, suggestions?)
Gen II noveske lower
DD Parts Kit
A2 Stock from BCM
Buffer tube, buffer, action/spring

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 16:55
What kind of handguard or rail?

I've been favorably impressed with the Double Chrome lined barrels from PSA. They are made by FN and its basically the same carbon steel chrome lined barrel Noveske uses in its guns. I have two PSA barrels and they are suberb barrels for the money!

Do you want a barrel with a front sight base or are you going to run some kind of BUIS on your rail?

You will need some sort of way to clamp the upper receiver--since you are using a VLTOR the clamshell type vice block won't work so your only real option is a DPMS style upper receiver block that uses pins to hold the receiver while you torque down the barrel nut. Depending on what kind of rail or forend you go with you'll either need a special wrench or many rails come with the wrench needed to torgue their own special barrel nut. You also need a torgue wrench that can apply between 30 and 70 ft/lbs of torque. (some are measured in inch/pounds). You'll need a solid machinists vice to hold the receiver block. Not counting the vise and torque wrench its about $60 worth of tools. A decent torque wrench is going to run you about $80-100. (maybe you can borrow one?)

Lots of videos on Youtube about how to do this...

AR-MPR AR-15 Build: Upper Part 2: Barrel, Gas Block, Gas Tube - YouTube

Cole125
10-23-2012, 17:15
Will these parts complete my build?
Correct me if I need guidance here.
Also, what tools will I need considering I'm buying a complete upper, minus the barrel?

VLTOR Vis upper (mid Length, carbine if I go with SOCOM barrel)
Barrel of my choosing(undecided, suggestions?)
Gen II noveske lower
DD Parts Kit
A2 Stock from BCM
Buffer tube, buffer, action/spring

If you don't have any of the tools needed to install a AR15 barrel it would be cheaper just to take it to a gunsmith who works on ARs and have him do it.

Big Bird
10-23-2012, 18:37
If you don't have any of the tools needed to install a AR15 barrel it would be cheaper just to take it to a gunsmith who works on ARs and have him do it.

It would be cheaper just to have someone build you a complete upper to your specs. There are any number of firms that will do this for you and its no big deal.

glockbanger
10-23-2012, 22:05
It would be cheaper just to have someone build you a complete upper to your specs. There are any number of firms that will do this for you and its no big deal.

Who do you suggest? Do they gather the parts themselves or how does it work?

As far as a handguard or rail goes, I thought the VLTOR vis was all I needed? I'm clueless about most of this as anyone can tell.

Also, you said that running a SOCOM barrel, you must go with carbine length gas. Why is this? And is there any way around it?

r3dot
10-23-2012, 22:20
Delta3tactical did a custom build for me. Great guy to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glockbanger
10-23-2012, 22:55
Delta3tactical did a custom build for me. Great guy to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much? How do I get ahold of him?

10-23-2012, 23:27
Also check with Rainier Arms. They will build whatever you specify. They have top notch customer service.

surf
10-24-2012, 01:04
You should be thinking about getting a upper and lower and pushing two pins together. Or at the most, building a lower and adding a complete upper.