Carry a Gun You Haven't Shot Yet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry a Gun You Haven't Shot Yet?


gunowner1
10-21-2012, 20:04
I got my G29Sf a week ago but haven't shot it yet. I really want the first bullet out of it to be one a made when I get my reloading set up finished. I've worn it around the house and in the yard but have been reluctant to wear it out as I have yet to shoot it. I gotta go down south tomorrow and would love to wear the 29 out. It's a Glock, I'm sure it would work,God forbid.if I needed it. Anybody here ever wear a gun they didn't shoot yet?

NH Trucker
10-21-2012, 20:06
I'm sure yours will be fine, but why take the chance? Carry what you know works, until you can take the G29 to the range. Don't forget to try it with ammo that you're planning on using as your carry load.

Gallium
10-21-2012, 20:12
Don't get nostalgic over your carry rig. Function over everything else. If you want to wait for your reloading setup, take the gun off, put it down and carry something you have tested

TheExplorer
10-21-2012, 20:13
No way. 99% chance it will be fine, but that 1% could be enough.

USMCsilver
10-21-2012, 20:15
I carried a XD subcompact for about 2 years in my truck without ever firing it. Not bright, I know...but I bought it, loaded it, and put it in the console.

One day, I thought, "Hey, I've never shot that thing." So, I took it out, dumped a mag of Hydra-Shoks, and that solved that.

ArtificialGrape
10-21-2012, 20:16
Not if I had any other choice.

gunowner1
10-21-2012, 20:16
Ok the 29 stays home.....G26, G19, or G30? I already carry two mags with all of them. Also should the LCP go as backup? I hate going to West Palm!

crazycooter91
10-21-2012, 20:18
I just got my glock a week ago and have only 30rds through it and don't feel accurate enough with it yet...until I have a lot more practice with it, I won't carry it. I will continue to carry the jennings (**** gun but runs decent with good ammo) because I have atleast 400rds through it and can hit a human sized target as long as its within 50yds (and even more accurate up close like any pocket pistol)

concretefuzzynuts
10-21-2012, 20:19
Never.

Little Joe
10-21-2012, 20:20
Ok the 29 stays home.....G26, G19, or G30? I already carry two mags with all of them. Also should the LCP go as backup? I hate going to West Palm!

The G30, and yes, take the LCP as a backup. :supergrin:

Bruce M
10-21-2012, 20:20
I would prefer not to if I could at all avoid it.

wallytoo
10-21-2012, 20:21
Does it work? You don't know, I mean, you don't KNOW.

If it works, does it shoot straight?

I think the world of Glocks, but I won't carry something I haven't tested.

gunowner1
10-21-2012, 20:22
Can anybody guess why I would even go near West Palm?

NeverMore1701
10-21-2012, 20:23
Absolutely not.

Maxx702
10-21-2012, 20:24
Nope.
A couple hundred rounds minimum including the sd ammo I intend to use.

bruzer
10-21-2012, 20:26
G21 out of the box, loaded up, in the holster and carried for days before I got a chance to try it out. Has never failed yet.

I have been issued weapons that I got to try out first. So very lucky I never had to depend my life on them.

Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

BEER
10-21-2012, 20:27
nope, no gun is considered for carry until i've personally put a minimum of 250 rounds of my preferred carry ammo through it.

gunowner1
10-21-2012, 20:29
G30 it is then.Switch out ten rounders for 21 mags. LCP,cargo pocket, weak side . Spyderco Citadel 92mm, front pocket strong side and Benchmade Mel Pardue, on belt,next to Fenix LD10, on belt, weak side. God it's bad when I'm carrying backup knives.LOL

Hauptmann6
10-21-2012, 20:29
Don't get nostalgic over your carry rig. Function over everything else. If you want to wait for your reloading setup, take the gun off, put it down and carry something you have tested

Yup..

crazycooter91
10-21-2012, 20:32
Nope.
A couple hundred rounds minimum including the sd ammo I intend to use.


I don't really have a minimum round count before I carry it, just however many rounds it takes for me to get familiar with the weapon and confident in my ability with it.

NH Trucker
10-21-2012, 20:36
Ok the 29 stays home.....G26, G19, or G30? I already carry two mags with all of them. Also should the LCP go as backup? I hate going to West Palm!





West Palm? You want something belt fed... :whistling:

gunowner1
10-21-2012, 20:46
West Palm? You want something belt fed... :whistling:
I don't think the cops would like that very much.

shotgunred
10-21-2012, 21:01
Would you marry a woman you haven't slept with?

NH Trucker
10-21-2012, 21:02
Don't show the cops yours, and they won't show you theirs. :whistling:



Seriously, with the load out you described, you'll be fine. But take that G29 to the range and make sure it runs before you carry it. You know you want to! :supergrin:

THEPOPE
10-21-2012, 21:06
ABsotively NOT.....but if I posolutely HAD to, it would be comforting if it was a Glock, or an XD....

Out of the box reliability is a must, and I've seen way too many great brand name guns have problems from feeding poorly to no eject...

Glock or XD...I am Out, yup....:cool:

Diesel McBadass
10-21-2012, 21:29
well i carried my bg380 before i shot it since i had nothing else to carry, now ive shot it and it works great, so alls good

NEOH212
10-21-2012, 22:26
I'd never carry a gun or ammo that I haven't thoroughly tested.

Doing otherwise is a great way to get yourself killed if you need it and it fails.

Better to be safe than sorry my friend.

skeeter7
10-21-2012, 22:40
I wouldn't carry it either until quite a few rounds have been put through it, especially since you have other options.

whitebread
10-22-2012, 12:27
I wouldn't even think about carrying something that didn't have at least a couple hundred flawless carry rounds through it.

SGT278ACR
10-22-2012, 13:24
You're going to get tons of varying opinions on how many and what type of rounds to fire out of it before you carry it. None of it's a perfect answer, but it IS wise if you at least go to the range and put something through it and get familiarized before you carry it. Glock, XD or whatever.

NDCent
10-22-2012, 13:42
Nope, not unless it was the only thing available. I'd carry a revolver after a couple cylinders or a semi auto after a couple mags, but I'd rather have more time with them.

IndyGunFreak
10-22-2012, 13:57
No way. 99% chance it will be fine, but that 1% could be enough.

:agree:

frizz
10-22-2012, 14:05
Ok the 29 stays home.....G26, G19, or G30? I already carry two mags with all of them. Also should the LCP go as backup? I hate going to West Palm!
Trying to start a religious war or something? :supergrin:

I'm a .45 lover, but if you are looking at the 19 vs. the 26, why would you go with 5 fewer shots in the 26? Is compactness a factor for this trip?

Gregg702
10-22-2012, 14:21
I haven't gotten a chance to take my 638CT to the range yet, but I have been carrying it. I will shoot it Sunday along with my new USP .40 Tactical.

Mr Turdle
10-22-2012, 17:38
I wouldn't even think about carrying something that didn't have at least a couple hundred flawless carry rounds through it.

+1
Also. I would never carry with reloaded amo. This is for practice range use only. Stack the deck in your favor in case you ever end up in court.

Diesel_Bomber
10-22-2012, 18:01
No way would I carry a gun I'd never fired.

You don't know if it will go bang.

You don't know where that round will wind up.

You don't know how accurate or off the sights are.

With similar size Glocks there will be some carry over, but for the most part you have no muscle memory helping you get the sights on target in a hurry.

It's a tool fer crying out loud. You don't go buy a brand new Snap On wrench and then put off fixing the lawnmower because you want the first bolt turned with that wrench to be on a Ferrari. Put a few hundred rounds through it before you carry it.

Chuck TX
10-22-2012, 19:00
I'd want to test it before I put reloads thru it.

gunowner1
10-22-2012, 20:11
Ok I broke down today and bought a few boxes of 10mm. If it fires the 100 rounds, plus the 20 extra rounds of SD ammo I got, I will carry it. It's a Glock for godsake!

tsmo1066
10-22-2012, 20:16
Even Glocks can sometimes be lemmons. Don't risk letting your first reliability test be when your life hangs in the balance.

Carry a proven weapon until you've had a chance to put the Glock through its paces.

PAGunner
10-22-2012, 20:40
Can anybody guess why I would even go near West Palm?

What's wrong with WPB? Much better than Miami, it isn't exactly a big city. Lol

dabigguns357
10-22-2012, 21:07
The only place i carry a new or new to me gun is to the range.I always buy a gun on my day off that way i have the time to test it,even when it snows.

My wife got me a gift card for a new toy and i had it out shooting before i cleaned it for the first time.

Test drive that shiney new car,gun,motorcycle or anything else before you chance your life on it.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/dabigguns357/Picture278b.jpg

brisk21
10-23-2012, 07:49
I wouldn't even do that with a revolver. You really should function test a gun before carrying it.

kensb2
10-23-2012, 07:57
Unfortunately, I shoot a gun that I can't carry. Looks like I'll be waiting a few more months for my CWP. $100 min cost for one here in OK.

devildog2067
10-23-2012, 08:50
If you have no other choice, sure. I'd do it and not worry about it too much.

If you have a choice, why risk it?

badge315
10-23-2012, 08:58
Not only have I carried a Glock without test firing it, I actually drew it in a SD situation. Fortunately I didn't have to shoot the BG...and the gun has subsequently run flawlessly.

Probably not the smartest thing in the world to do, but I like to live dangerously. :tongueout:

Dragoon189
10-23-2012, 10:09
I would, but only to the range

dango
10-23-2012, 11:12
How can I say and stress to you how wrong that would be.
There are things in life that are way more important than the flip of a coin.

That question in it's-self tells a story.All life is very special..!
One should think deeply when the thought of owning something
that has the eaze and ability to effortlessly seriously harm and kill. There is a huge responsibility to yourself and every living thing around you. Safety , your's and everything around you !
Practice , even if the gun does function and fire , how do you possibly think you might actually hit what is meant and not what or who else that is in the path of the projectile.

Even the well schooled and well practiced deal with this very issue ! Owning and the carry of such a weapon is far beyond the purchase ! It is a way of RE-THINKING , RE-SEEING and
at least , a way of life. You have a great responsibility to
everyone and everything around you now , your life has changed dramatically the very minute you decide to own or
carry such a weapon.
Clint Eastwood; "A man's got to know his limitations" and I will add , To fully understand.....! Be safe always, be well practiced and above all , awareness and only the last resort
in a milli-second........! :cool:

JuneyBooney
10-23-2012, 19:56
I have carried revolvers before that I had not shot but I did make sure the bore was clear etc. Then I had already shot the same gun previously..just not that particular gun. But I would not carry reloads in a defense gun and shoot it for the first time in a situation if it develops. Most Sigs, Hk and Glocks would be fine and dandy in a close range situation if needed.

Diesel_Bomber
10-23-2012, 20:33
The main reason I would not carry a gun I had not fired is because you simply do not know where that fired round is going to go. You have no idea if the sights are accurate, or if they are, at what range. I've shot more than one gun new out of the box whose sights were off by more than a foot at 25 feet. It was noticeable when you took the time to compare where the sights were pointing vs. where the gun was pointing, but are you going to have time to do that in an SD situation?

You don't know where that round is going to go, which means you have no business pulling that gun, which means you have no reason to carry it.